• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New xbox 360 Need for speed: Most wanted screens

MetalAlien said:
The leap from....

Sega Genny VR to PS1 Ridge Racer was evident from across the room...
PS1 Ridge Racer type 4 to PS2 RRV was evident without a doubt
Forza Racing to the screens we've seen so far, could be mistaken an upcoming XB1 game.

I don't really think it looks like an Xbox racer, its better than what we've seen this gen. The problem is that people don't simply want better, they want the visual leap that's suppose to come with each new gen. They aren't going to be satisfied with anything other than that.

Deg

Banned
NFSU is a good looking game and NFSMW on ccurrent gen consoles look good too. The Xbx360 jump as SSX said isnt good enough.

ram said:
in burnout 4 some trakcs (if not all) in hong kong will be at nighttime.

Nice.

"I don't really think it looks like an Xbox racer, its better than what we've seen this gen. The problem is that people don't simply want better, they want the visual leap that's suppose to come with each new gen. They aren't going to be satisfied with anything other than that."

Tell em to get PGR3.

jimbo

Banned
From the video you can deffinitely tell the amount of detail and geometry simply wouldn't be possible on current generation screens. Even from the screenshots you can tell that it has superior lihgting and shadowing. But yes, a lot of people are still expecting a jump like from the PSx/N64 era to current generation. And it just isn't there. It won't be there on the 360, it won't be there on the Revolution and it won't even be there on the PS3. The reason with this is simply because this current generation has already approached an IMAGE QUALITY that's simply about as good as it's going to get. I mean we already have clean, sharp looking textures, smooth cars, and real looking trees...which was a huge jump from the boxy, low pixel, low texture stuff that was possible on past systems. The analogy is more like going from a horse and carriage to a car(current generation) and now you're going from a Ford to a Cadillac. It's still a car, and it's nothing new. Just nicer.

jimbo said:
But yes, a lot of people are still expecting a jump like from the PSx/N64 era to current generation. And it just isn't there. It won't be there on the 360, it won't be there on the Revolution and it won't even be there on the PS3.

It's definetly possible as we've seen from the FF7 demo and GoW.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Ahhhahahaha. Er no. What I mean is that these 'screens' are not how the game will look on everyone's TV when the game is out, is it? <<<

You're right. Those screens are much lower resolution than what I'll be playing at on my TV >:D

Gek54

The Faceless Master said:
tokyo bus guide?
You think so?
01.jpg

Gek54

jimbo said:
The reason with this is simply because this current generation has already approached an IMAGE QUALITY that's simply about as good as it's going to get. I mean we already have clean, sharp looking textures, smooth cars, and real looking trees...

Um no. The line between photoperfect and what we have seen done real time has yet to be completely blurred and even with CGi media there is still noticalble artifacts.

There will always be room for possible improvement until we can get generate a world that looks as good as this render in HD and at 60fps or better.

jimbo

Banned
"Um no. The line between photoperfect and what we have seen done real time has yet to be completely blurred and even with CGi media there is still noticalble artifacts.

There will always be room for possible improvement until we can get generate a world that looks as good as this render in HD and at 60fps or better."

Dude wake up. There's always a better. ALWAYS. I never said there wasn't. There just won't ever again be a noticeable jump in videogame graphics as we know them today like there was with last generation to todays. Period. EVER. And even when there will be(it's going to be even smaller than what you're seeing here), it will only be in relation to realistic graphics. Everything else.....cartoon graphics, non-realstic games....the jump will just never be there like there was.

The only way were going to get another visual jump is simply 3D screens or VR. Stagnation is here. And if you think this jump isn't big. Wait till next generation. You will have to sit there and STARE at pictures just to see a small difference.

Visual quality has pretty much reached a point where it's hard to get a noticeable difference. Noticeable differences this generation and next generation will no longer be about how much sharper, cleaner and more realistic it looks....but rather how much bigger the environments are, how many more enemies on screen....etc.

Deg

Banned
jimbo said:
"Um no. The line between photoperfect and what we have seen done real time has yet to be completely blurred and even with CGi media there is still noticalble artifacts.

There will always be room for possible improvement until we can get generate a world that looks as good as this render in HD and at 60fps or better."

Dude wake up. There's always a better. ALWAYS. I never said there wasn't. There just won't ever again be a noticeable jump in videogame graphics as we know them today like there was with last generation to todays. Period. EVER. And even when there will be(it's going to be even smaller than what you're seeing here), it will only be in relation to realistic graphics. Everything else.....cartoon graphics, non-realstic games....the jump will just never be there like there was.

The only way were going to get another visual jump is simply 3D screens or VR. Stagnation is here. And if you think this jump isn't big. Wait till next generation. You will have to sit there and STARE at pictures just to see a small difference.

Visual quality has pretty much reached a point where it's hard to get a noticeable difference. Noticeable differences this generation and next generation will no longer be about how much sharper, cleaner and more realistic it looks....but rather how much bigger the environments are, how many more enemies on screen....etc.

You could have just said 'diminishing returns'...

Regardless the software is very underwhelming so far. Ports of current generation games certainly dont help. You cant expect these ports to look that good.

Jacobi said:
Looks like a good PC game.

well yeah, being that the current version of NFS:MW is running on a Radeon X800 used in all Xbox 360 Alpha kits when the game was shown. (Beta kits with near-final Xenos GPU are only just now getting out to developers) for all we know, NFS:MW was built on Radeon 9800, the oldest graphics card used in Xbox 360 Alpha kits.

I cannot wait to see graphics that are actually built on Xenos.

midnightguy said:
well yeah, being that the current version of NFS:MW is running on a Radeon X800 used in all Xbox 360 Alpha kits when the game was shown. (Beta kits with near-final Xenos GPU are only just now getting out to developers) for all we know, NFS:MW was built on Radeon 9800, the oldest graphics card used in Xbox 360 Alpha kits.

I cannot wait to see graphics that are actually built on Xenos.

These new screens are from Xenos. You can tell because it's AAed. The old shots (and E3 build) lacked any AA.

ShowDog

I played it at e3 and wasn't impressed. I thought it looked like burnout 3 on xbox but with a worse frame-rate. I'm sure it actually looks quite a bit better, but it certainly isn't something you look at and say "wow." It looks like it has some more background detail and that's it. Maybe it will be more impressive on a hi-def set (not sure if it was one at e3) but it's not something that is going to make your new $300 system look like a good investment.

ThirdEye

ShowDog said:
I played it at e3 and wasn't impressed. I thought it looked like burnout 3 on xbox but with a worse frame-rate. I'm sure it actually looks quite a bit better, but it certainly isn't something you look at and say "wow." It looks like it has some more background detail and that's it. Maybe it will be more impressive on a hi-def set (not sure if it was one at e3) but it's not something that is going to make your new $300 system look like a good investment.
Aren't they all running 720p on Samsung HD sets with a 1080 panel as reported in some E3 news?

It was surely not optimized well, as it freezed and crashed often.

ThirdEye said:
Aren't they all running 720p on Samsung HD sets with a 1080 panel as reported in some E3 news?

Trust Shogmaster, not some random foolish websites. They were WXGA Samsung LCD HDTVs. That means, they run 1366x768 natively. So 1280x720 XBox360 games got interpolated up slightly. Yes, not the best choice for showcasing 720p games.

Shogmaster said:
Trust Shogmaster, not some random foolish websites. They were WXGA Samsung LCD HDTVs. That means, they run 1366x768 natively. So 1280x720 XBox360 games got interpolated up slightly. Yes, not the best choice for showcasing 720p games.

which is essentially 720p. Any artifacts from scaling up by 80 pixels is hardly going to be noticed unless your staring at it with a magnifying glass.

newsguy

seismologist said:
which is essentially 720p. Any artifacts from scaling up by 80 pixels is hardly going to be noticed unless your staring at it with a magnifying glass.

While I know this is a shitty attempt at trolling the 360 by Giga, he has a point.

FightyF

Banned
MetalAlien said:
Sega Genny VR to PS1 Ridge Racer was evident from across the room...
PS1 Ridge Racer type 4 to PS2 RRV was evident without a doubt
Forza Racing to the screens we've seen so far, could be mistaken an upcoming XB1 game.

Those Forza shots are for the 360? They were released last year weren't they?

seismologist said:

newsguy said:
While I know this is a shitty attempt at trolling the 360 by Giga, he has a point.

I also wouldn't say that it's a huge thing to be noticeable, but it's still not the most ideal:

720P original
WXGA

detailcomparo.jpg

tino

Banned
newsguy said:

There is no 720p resolution LCD screen on the current market anymore. Samsung used to make a 720p 22" screen. Now all 30 inches or less LCD panel of any make has the same 1368(1360)X768 resolution. It's not going to make a noticable difference. If you don't believe me, go get a 720p size image and blow it up 10% in photoshop and see if the enlarged picture look worse to your human eyes.

^^^ O well Shogmaster prove the point, to me while the original has sharper lines, it also look "faker." Especially if you compare them to a picture of a real yellow sportscar.

Also the WXGA image should be bigger becuase it has more pixels than 720p.

FightyF

Banned
Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Metal Alien...I think a comparison between Forza and PGR 360 will be more accurate. EA isn't known for pushing consoles, whereas in your example, Namco have always been competent in this regard.

Plus, I don't expect the next gen RR to be done on PC first, and then ported to the PS3.

newsguy

tino said:
There is no 720p resolution LCD screen on the current market anymore. Samsung used to make a 720p 22" screen. Now all 30 inches or less LCD panel of any make has the same 1368(1360)X768 resolution. It's not going to make a noticable difference. If you don't believe me, go get a 720p size image and blow it up 10% in photoshop and see if the enlarged picture look worse to your human eyes.

^^^ O well Shogmaster prove the point, to me while the original has sharper lines, it also look "faker." Especially if you compare them to a picture of a real yellow sportscar.

:lol Why did you quote me? My post was agreeing that there's not a big difference, (although I don't make it a habit to agree with trolls) hence the "he has a point" remark.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
tino said:

Also the WXGA image should be bigger becuase it has more pixels than 720p.

The difference is highly noticeable, one looks jaggy and one looks smooth.

newsguy

Ryudo said:
The difference is highly noticeable, one looks jaggy and one looks smooth.

Yeah, when you're sitting a foot from your moniter looking at blown up images. From proper viewing distance you won't see any of this (which is why they use this resolution in the first place).

Well, one thing I should point out is that since none of the XB360 games at E3 was running AA like in that PGR3 pic, it really didn't matter too much.

But I do think that it's gonna matter when the XB360 kiosks are running AAed games come August or whatever. Yep, it's a WXGA (1366x768) LCD again.....

Top Bottom