• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 98! LMAO

temp

posting on contract only
You can't stop laughing at that? The thing where they're looking at the game in retrospect?

Rain

Banned
The thread creator is prolly going "OMGZ LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL LOOK AT THE SHITTY GRAPHICS! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!!1111oneoneeleven" and is also prolly under 18 years old.

Galaron

EA guy that we like
I could only get through half of that. Someone let me know if the second half has anything that funny or insightful.

sp0rsk said:

HATED IT!

HATEDIT.jpg

:lol

Great show.

boo7z

NHL 98 was awesome on the PC. I had just built my first desktop PC and remember being blown away at the graphics.

I also remember rumblings about how nVidia was going to kick 3dfx's ass with the TNT ultra. With that, I bought 200 shares of nvidia stock in '98. :)

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
netscape crashed near the beginning of the movie so I'm missing what's so damn funny here but... I never liked NHL 98, I liked NHL-NHL 97 better but oh well, I guess it was ok, I liked the opening, had that nice Amonte goal in it

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
a) i loved NHL 98

b) i played it 20x more than you do

c) it's obviously a bash against NHL 98

d) and it was funny damnit

BY GOD THE SPEED *slow hockey clip running*

Playstation taking down it's competition! *horrible fighting engine clip in motion*

koam

There was absolutely nothing funny about the clip. It was just a bunch of retards pretending to be funny with dumb remarks on a game that was FAR superior to it's 1999 and 2000 counterparts and is still considered to be one of the greatest hockey games of all time. It's pretty much pointless.

That's like making fun of mario 64. You can do so as much as you like, but in the end, it's the best damn 3D platformer you can find, even to this day. The only thing that kept those games down was the hardware they were running on and to be fair, if you play them on good emulators they can very much compete with modern games.

It's pretty much pointless to mock 3D games because they can look better with newer hardware whearas older 2D games can't.

Considering I played NHL98 until NHL2001 came out, I doubt you played it more than I did.

rs7k

I played the shit out of that game on the PC six or so years ago. It was a really fun game, but then it also had a lot of bugs.

DopeyFish

koam said:
There was absolutely nothing funny about the clip. It was just a bunch of retards pretending to be funny with dumb remarks on a game that was FAR superior to it's 1999 and 2000 counterparts and is still considered to be one of the greatest hockey games of all time. It's pretty much pointless.

That's like making fun of mario 64. You can do so as much as you like, but in the end, it's the best damn 3D platformer you can find, even to this day. The only thing that kept those games down was the hardware they were running on and to be fair, if you play them on good emulators they can very much compete with modern games.

It's pretty much pointless to mock 3D games because they can look better with newer hardware whearas older 2D games can't.

Considering I played NHL98 until NHL2001 came out, I doubt you played it more than I did.

I played NHL 98 until NHL 2K3 came out o_O

DopeyFish

I have come to the conclusion most of GA has no sense of humor. Go back to sleeping on your stone beds you cold bastards.

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
DopeyFish said:
I have come to the conclusion most of GA has no sense of humor. Go back to sleeping on your stone beds you cold bastards.

possession of a sense of humor is what allows us to discern funny from unfunny, but then I wasn't able to watch the movie, so I can't comment on where it falls

shpankey

not an idiot
NHL 98 was prolly me and my friends favorite hockey game ever (on the PC). It was just so much damn fun. We lived for the fights in the game... they were intense... very basic, but timing was everything... in - out - in -out jab, in feign, out, back in upercut. Awesome! :D

No hockey game has since ever had such a fun fighting game. Sucks too. :(

Reilly

I actually still own NHL 96, 97, (for the genesis) and 98 (for the PSX). I also have 02, and 03 (PS2). The new NHL 2K game looks promising. I'm still not buying an NHL game from EA until they make it fun again.

shpankey

not an idiot
DopeyFish said:
I played NHL 98 until NHL 2K3 came out o_O
I am usually with you Dopey, on almost all of your posts I agree. But I don't understand this... if you played NHL 98 so much and for such an incredibly long time... why on earth are you dogging it? Why would you think a tribute to a game you so obviously loved is rediculous? I don't get it.

and btw.. NHL 98 (along with 94) are the epitome of fun... i wish EA would bring that back and let NHL 2kx series do the realistic hockey.

DopeyFish

shpankey said:
I am usually with you Dopey, on almost all of your posts I agree. But I don't understand this... if you played NHL 98 so much and for such an incredibly long time... why on earth are you dogging it? Why would you think a tribute to a game you so obviously loved is rediculous? I don't get it.

and btw.. NHL 98 (along with 94) are the epitome of fun... i wish EA would bring that back and let NHL 2kx series do the realistic hockey.

im not dogging it. It's just funny watching a video after not playing it for 3+ years. And the commentary makes it hilarious. They're the ones making fun of it and it's fans.

I just found it a really funny bash.

SickBoy

I didn't find the link all that funny, although I did think NHL '98 (the Playstation version, that is) was garbage. I think my friends and I ended up playing 989's Faceoff series more than this... and Faceoff wasn't really that good either.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Speaking of sports games, I own NBA Live 98 on the PC. Guess what? I loved it. (GASP GAIME LIKED AN EA SPORTS GAME ZOMGWTF!)

My friends would come over all the time, and we'd play the game together. One person would have control over the arrow keys to control the running and movement of the player with the basketball, and someone else would be the guy controlling the shooting aspect and/or passing. We also loved the halftime videos, and every time a cheerleader showed up in one, we'd let out a group "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!" (hey, we were like 10 or 11 at the time.)

Good times. :lol

Bluecondor

The problem with this is that NHL 98 was a good game.

This video would have been much more humorous if was a review of Quarterback Club or some other hideous sports game.....

FightyF

Banned
NHL 98 was pretty good...but it was eclipsed by the PowerPlay series.

What NHL had that PP didn't have was great presentation, which I thought was revolutionary. I don't think Madden's presentation was as polished (I could be wrong though).

Top Bottom