• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier 2 announced (Square Enix, Yoko Taro, Platinum Games, Akihiko Yoshida, PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kain

I've been playing Drakengard 3 as of lately and as much as I like the characters (Zero is hilarious) these people can't design gameplay for shit, much less a competent engine. Like, this ugly game runs maybe at 30 fps at best and at 20 most of the time with HUGE slowdowns when action gets a little frantic, juuuuust a little. The dragon battles are boring and badly done and the on foot sections are passable at best (Nier was better but was not a wonder either). So yeah, Platinum+Taro+Okabe is going to be the third coming of Christ.

kadotsu

Banned
I've been playing Drakengard 3 as of lately and as much as I like the characters (Zero is hilarious) these people can't design gameplay for shit, much less a competent engine. Like, this ugly game runs maybe at 30 fps at best and at 20 most of the time with HUGE slowdowns when action gets a little frantic, juuuuust a little. The dragon battles are boring and badly done and the on foot sections are passable at best (Nier was better but was not a wonder either). So yeah, Platinum+Taro+Okabe is going to be the third coming of Christ.

Only if the XIII team does the menus

Don't know if it has been discuted but apparently Emi Evans is (very sadly) not currently involved in NieR OST. Perhaps it's too soon and she will in the near future ?

We've got Taro saying they intend to bring her back if they can and Emi tweeting as if she was aware of the game before it was formally announced, so at least I'd be surprised if she didn't wind up being involved.

Zukuu

Banned
I vaguely recall some people in this thread talking about NieR Replicant coming out over here. Was I just dreaming that or is that a possibility.

Like, wouldn't it be sweet if we got a release with both versions? It's not like there's anything major beyond model swapping and altered dialogue.
The whole VA had to be changed and I think it's also written a bit differently.

I would rather see a WEISS edition of the game, remastered in full hd with both Replicant and Gestalt on the same disk. :D

Gbraga

The whole VA had to be changed and I think it's also written a bit differently.

I would rather see a WEISS edition of the game, remastered in full hd with both Replicant and Gestalt on the same disk. :D

Just one of them Remastered is more than enough, let's be realistic here.

You know what would be sick to come with the Weiss Edition? A localized Grimoire Nier.

It'll never happen, but one can dream.

That probably has nothing to do with Nier 2, but i think ill post it regardless:

Yoko Taro, His Wife and Nier Co-Writer Kikuchi Hana started their own company called BUKKORO.
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/28/nier-creator-taro-yoko-started-his-own-company/

So far the site is empty aside from a sticker store and a staff section tho.
According to the comments in the article, Bukkoro means "beating to death."

I wonder if Taro is working as a contractor on Nier 2 and this is his little studio brand name? Seems to be the norm for a lot of Japanese talent these days. I remember him saying he was "unemployed" after Drakengard 3.

cj_iwakura

I wonder if Taro is working as a contractor on Nier 2 and this is his little studio brand name? Seems to be the norm for a lot of Japanese talent these days. I remember him saying he was "unemployed" after Drakengard 3.

I also learned from that article that his wife is the designer for Taiko no Tatsujin, which explains the hilarious head-arts of the Drakengard 3 cast.

takoyaki

Yes someone please translate the most important bits here

It’s a very long interview, I only skimmed through it. Most of the info is already out there (the main staff is back + Platinum, started with the idea of a Vita port of N1, etc.)

Here’s a few interesting things summarized that I think are new:

-the full title of the new game is still up in the air, looks like it will be similar to “Replicant” or “Gestalt”, they will settle on the subtitle when the full game is shown off

-not a direct sequel to N1 so they don’t want to use “2” in the title

-making the gameplay great is Platinum's job (different weapons, expanded moveset)

-there were thoughts of reducing the RPG elements in favor of action with Platinum involved, but the new staff had a lot of respect for N1 and they are keeping the RPG elements and will try to give it even more of that “Nier-feeling”, expanding on N1

It’s a very long interview, I only skimmed through it. Most of the info is already out there (the main staff is back + Platinum, started with the idea of a Vita port of N1, etc.)

Here’s a few interesting things summarized that I think are new:

-the full title of the new game is still up in the air, looks like it will be similar to “Replicant” or “Gestalt”, they will settle on the subtitle when the full game is shown off

-not a direct sequel to N1 so they don’t want to use “2” in the title

-making the gameplay great is Platinum's job

-there where thoughts of reducing the RPG elements in favor of action with Platinum involved, but the new staff had a lot of respect for N1 and they are keeping the RPG elements and will try to give it even more of that “Nier-feeling”, expanding on N1

Thank you for the information! Since this isn't a direct sequel, I wonder if we'll get one of this is successful.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Of all the Platinum games announced at E3, this is the one I'm most excited for and I haven't even played Nier yet, backlog too strong

Arkeband

Banned

I had to put Drakengard 3 down and just leave it on the shelf as another one of my collectable niche RPG's. The game is just really, really poorly made.

Voliko

Shoot, I was hoping for less RPG elements personally. Aw well. As long as they are on the level of the first game that's ok I guess.

I just don't want to be able to easily overpower a boss because of stats.

TreIII

Of all the Platinum games announced at E3, this is the one I'm most excited for and I haven't even played Nier yet, backlog too strong

While "Platinum Nier" excites me to no end, for me, the best part is that I won't have to choose, but so much. I'm here for all of the P* goodness.

And good to hear them re-iterate that Platinum seemed to insist on keeping the Action-RPG elements.

-there where thoughts of reducing the RPG elements in favor of action with Platinum involved, but the new staff had a lot of respect for N1 and they are keeping the RPG elements and will try to give it even more of that “Nier-feeling”, expanding on N1

Excellent.

Thanks.

Gbraga

OH SHIT THREAD BUMPED MUST BE SOMETHING HUUUUUUUUUGE

VaBNcxc.png

That art was shown in the announcement trailer, wasn't it? D:

Can we hope for more stuff at TGS? Did they ever follow up with Emi Evans?

ZhugeEX

Banned
OH SHIT THREAD BUMPED MUST BE SOMETHING HUUUUUUUUUGE

VaBNcxc.png

That art was shown in the announcement trailer, wasn't it? D:

Can we hope for more stuff at TGS? Did they ever follow up with Emi Evans?

I don't think so? At least I haven't seen this one before?

Philippo

Guys i still can't believe this is a real thing.

I hope they take all their sweet time developing, i want it to be the biggest and most polished it can be.

Coda

This game is basically the only action hack n slash title we've got going right now and its environments and gameplay look so beautiful. I feel like this is going to be Platinum's next big game, not Scalebound. I'm really hoping for a Fall release for the game, early 2017 the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom