• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier 2 announced (Square Enix, Yoko Taro, Platinum Games, Akihiko Yoshida, PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's more disappointing.

WHY DO YOU HATE ZERO SO MUCH ; ;

See for me it was the other way around. I had absolutely zero expectations going into it other than its "prequel" status and was very happily surprised. Like I said before, some of the best "anime crew" voice work of the entire generation, equal level with Nier.

Astarte

WHY DO YOU HATE ZERO SO MUCH ; ;

See for me it was the other way around. I had absolutely zero expectations going into it other than its "prequel" status and was very happily surprised. Like I said before, some of the best "anime crew" voice work of the entire generation, equal level with Nier.

I don't hate Zero, I said that I like her character. I just don't really like the game.

Buzzati

Banned
Has Takashi Taura worked on anything else? I know he's young for a game designer (29), but I'm interested to know what other work he's done so I can have a frame of reference for my expectations for Nier 2.

Nordicus

There's just nothing that shows Platinum could make a good RPG.
With the exception of a few ballsy quirks Nier's team managed to put in the game, that Yoko Taro is likely bringing to Nier 2, was Nier ever said to be a good RPG because of its RPG systems, world/area design or pacing?

Kamion

And it made me go from "Nier is amazing, day 1!" to "Fuck, Platinum is involved? Hype dead"

This is an action RPG though and considering the technical difficulties both NieR and DoD3 faced, I can only see Platinum's involvement helping the game.
If you're worried about game design: Yoko Tarou is still directing it. It'll just not have sub 5 fps dragon flying parts or clipping issues.

Dio

Banned
This is an action RPG though and considering the technical difficulties both NieR and DoD3 faced, I can only see Platinum's involvement helping the game.
If you're worried about game design: Yoko Tarou is still directing it. It'll just not have sub 5 fps dragon flying parts or clipping issues.

Platinum straight up said that the staff helping them out were already big fans of Nier, and it would still be action RPG combat similar to the original. They're keeping it muted and within the proper tone, this isn't MGR pasted onto Taro plot and Okabe music.

klee123

Yeah, I have more faith in Platinum in delivering a good gameplay experience compared to Cavia and Access Games.

Whilst Nier was servicable, technically it wasn't anything special.

Drakengard 3 was a mess technically.

TreIII

Besides being Clover vets that worked on Okami?

This is perhaps the thing that interests me the most about this prospect.

I mean, sure. Obviously, Kamiya himself isn't on board. But I'd like to think that at least a few of the personalities that helped him make that game would be on hand to help with this new Nier game, which could only further help with making the game a much better realized action-rpg.

All I'd ask is that, like Okami, the game could aim for 30fps. Should be enough to fit in all of the spectacle that P* is known for, while already giving the game better performance than practically anything that came before it.

Christhor

With the exception of a few ballsy quirks Nier's team managed to put in the game, that Yoko Taro is likely bringing to Nier 2, was Nier ever said to be a good RPG because of its RPG systems, world/area design or pacing?

Yes. Cavia got a ton of things right with Nier. Varied dungeons/towns, lots of interesting side quests, side activities like fishing/gardening/boar riding. The only thing Platinum has ever been good at is action, nothing that showcases they would be able to make a decent RPG with lots of slow and atmospheric moments.

We all expected that Access games wouldn't be able to make a great action game, and we were right. The same might just happen with Platinum making Nier. The emphasis in Nier was not at all on the action part of ARPG, so having Platinum on this game doesn't inspire any kind of confidence.

Hektor

This is perhaps the thing that interests me the most about this prospect.

I mean, sure. Obviously, Kamiya himself isn't on board. But I'd like to think that at least a few of the personalities that helped him make that game would be on hand to help with this new Nier game, which could only further help with making the game a much better realized action-rpg.

All I'd ask is that, like Okami, the game could aim for 30fps. Should be enough to fit in all of the spectacle that P* is known for, while already giving the game better performance than practically anything that came before it.

If P* makes this game all about spectacle like MGR or Bayonetta the're doing it very, very wrong.

Golnei

If P* makes this game all about spectacle like MGR or Bayonetta the're doing it very, very wrong.

Making the entire game focused on spectacle would absolutely be the wrong way to approach things, but you can't pretend that the original Nier was devoid of it either. The larger Shade battles - particularly the Jack of Hearts and Wendy - were very similar in scope to some of the setpieces in those games; and having animators and designers with experience in creating those sequences can only be a good thing.

Seyavesh

the towns and sidequests in that game aren't mechanically anything fantastic. the interesting aspect to them comes from the tone-setting power that have (which is huge) and that's more in line with the direction and writing of the game moreso than the actual strict gameplay design

the tone setting helped to make those spectacle battles have much more meaning- stuff like the colossus works infinitely better as a fight because of that tone-setting, not because you went out to kill 20 sheep in a field

Golnei

the towns and sidequests in that game aren't mechanically anything fantastic. the interesting aspect to them comes from the tone-setting power that have (which is huge) and that's more in line with the direction and writing of the game moreso than the actual strict gameplay design

the tone setting helped to make those spectacle battles have much more meaning- stuff like the colossus works infinitely better as a fight because of that tone-setting, not because you went out to kill 20 sheep in a field

Or the leadup to the Wendy sequence - on paper, it's a bunch of barely-animated NPCs standing around and delivering dialogue, but the writing and atmosphere create something memorably unnerving. Whether scenarios like that are still possible for this project are much more dependent on the script and direction rather than the underlying game mechanics.

Seyavesh

also important to take note that interesting quest design and certain types of tone-setting may actually work against each other to a degree and is partially what makes a yoko taro game interesting

for example, in nier there's many tedious quests whose point is to drive in the idea of a dying world through the monotony or difficulty of doing such otherwise simple tasks. all while being legitimately bad gameplay designs. yet, because of that they're incredibly effective in setting the tone of the game to where it can be argued that they're ultimately more beneficial to the whole of the game over a more conveniently designed quest

of course there's also just the straight up "yoko taro hates you" quests like the fishing questlines and the moonflower shit

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
;_; Nier is a masterpiece of the highest caliber. An dirty gem, the type of game we need more of

4Tran

If Yoko Taro is in charge of making a game, it's going to be a Yoko Taro game regardless of who else he's working with. The reason that Nier 2 exists is because someone wants to see his brand of craziness in a new title. Platinum being the developer of Nier 2 won't make much difference in terms of story or game design or most of these other creative elements. They're probably going to be tapped for gameplay mechanics and other technical details, and that can only be an improvement over Yoko Taro's other titles. I don't see why anyone would mind this.

Armaly

Got my hands on that Chips album that was only included in the $200 japanese D3 CE through a friend. Goddamn i'm loving the Nier renditions.

Asd202

Hours later I still have a hard time believing this is happening and with the people involved in it.

What were the odds, seriously.

I saw Emi Evans tweeting about Nier 2... Okabe is confirmed, so I hope she's in it as well. She had a big part in making Nier's soundtrack, making up the fictional languages and obviously lending her gorgeous voice.

Don't know if it has been discuted but apparently Emi Evans is (very sadly) not currently involved in NieR OST. Perhaps it's too soon and she will in the near future ?

galvenize

Finally out of my 2 week ban (god what an awful time to get banned) and I've always wanted to post in this thread as I can safely say this game will warrant myself a PS4 purchase whenever it comes out. NieR's a brilliant game and possibly my favourite experience from last gen.

Mesoian

There's just nothing that shows Platinum could make a good RPG.

I feel like i'm in crazy town here...Neir's RPG elements were thin at best. Am I the only one who remembers how terrible the side missions in that game were? The meat of the game was a fairly subpar character action game.

Platinum straight up said that the staff helping them out were already big fans of Nier, and it would still be action RPG combat similar to the original. They're keeping it muted and within the proper tone, this isn't MGR pasted onto Taro plot and Okabe music.

Honestly, if it were, it would probably be a better GAME, though it might scary some people away.

Hektor

Honestly, if it were, it would probably be a better GAME, though it might scary some people away.

If you dont care about stuff like the
resident evil villa
, the open world, the puzzles, the sidestorys,
the wood of textadventures.
, the opening of the second playtrough, and the entire point of the game, then yes, maybe it would.

Mesoian

If you dont care about stuff like the
resident evil villa
, the open world, the puzzles, the sidestorys,
the wood of textadventures.
, the opening of the second playtrough, and the entire point of the game, then yes, maybe it would.

So the irregular thematic and gameplay vignetting, something platnium does ALL THE TIME in their games, usually to the point where people yell at them for it?

Hektor

So the irregular thematic and gameplay vignetting, something platnium does ALL THE TIME in their games, usually to the point where people yell at them for it?

ALL THE TIME? Cant recall seeing something even remotely similiar in MGR, which was the game you talked about.

Mesoian

ALL THE TIME? Cant recall seeing something even remotely similiar in MGR, which was the game you talked about.

Dude, come on. Bayonetta has an outrun and space harrier section that is completely different from the rest of the game. The wonderful 101 has a Battlezone, a space harrier, a mr driller, and an isometric shooter section that is completely different from the rest of the game.

If you're worried that Platinum doesn't know how to do subtly, then I can understand that, everything they've done has been filled with bombast. But if you're worried that they're going to be unwilling to add in elements into the game that are completely different from what the lion's share of the game consists of, you're crazy.

I'm sure MGR would have had sections like that if they had longer than 11 months to save that damn thing. Hell, even Korra which had 6 has gameplay elements that differ wildly from the core game.

Also I never mentioned MGR.

Weiss

Banned
I vaguely recall some people in this thread talking about NieR Replicant coming out over here. Was I just dreaming that or is that a possibility.

Like, wouldn't it be sweet if we got a release with both versions? It's not like there's anything major beyond model swapping and altered dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom