• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Timeaisis

C'mon, some of the best games i've played this year start out slowly and make you work for the good stuff. Yakuza, Nier, Nioh, BotW and P5 all do this. Sometimes you need to build up the world and characters.

And that doesn't make my early impressions any less valid? If I quit now and reviewed it, that'd be my score. But I wouldn't because I'm clearly engaged enough to see it through.

Making you work for the all of "the good stuff" seems like the antithesis of gaming, at least to me. Making you work for some ain't so bad, as long as it's entertaining up till then.

I will never understand criticizing criticisms. My experience is my experience, as is othe people, some of which happened to reviewed the game.

I don't think it's ever necessary for a review. If the review is "This was so bad / boring I couldn't even bother to finish it" I take that as a perfectly valid opinion.

I couldn't agree more. If I walk out of a movie because it's terrible, but I miss some incredibly satisfying ending that propels the film from bad to good, it doesn't make my initial experience any less terrible, just the overall experience better. If I can't stomach getting through to that point, it's not my fault, it's the fault of the work for not engaging me enough as a player.

Not saying this game does that, I'm just saying it's a perfectly valid criticism against any form of entertainment.

Gbraga

And that doesn't make my early impressions any less valid? If I quit now and reviewed it, that'd be my score. But I wouldn't because I'm clearly engaged enough to see it through.

Making you work for the all of "the good stuff" seems like the antithesis of gaming, at least to me. Making you work for some ain't so bad, as long as it's entertaining up till then.

I will never understand criticizing criticisms. My experience is my experience, as is othe people, some of which happened to reviewed the game.

I completely agree that it doesn't make your impression any less valid, and while I disagree about what you consider to be the antithesis of gaming (though I think Yoko Taro would personally be incredibly excited at this being used to describe his work), I think it's perfectly fine opinion.

I don't see what's hard to understand about criticizing opinions, however. If you just want to say what you think and have no one challenge or debate that, then you create a blog and disable comments, you don't go on a forum and post your thoughts publicly. Having your views challenged and having to elaborate on them is an expected part of a discussion forum. And it's not like you can't just ignore people challenging your opinion, if you, for whatever reason, just don't want to answer and thinks their comment is adding nothing of substance.

I couldn't agree more. If I walk out of a movie because it's terrible, but I miss some incredibly satisfying ending that propels the film from bad to good, it doesn't make my initial experience any less terrible, just the overall experience better. If I can't stomach getting through to that point, it's not my fault, it's the fault of the work for not engaging me enough as a player.

Not saying this game does that, I'm just saying it's a perfectly valid criticism against any form of entertainment.

Of course it's valid criticism, but if it's your job to watch the movie and write your opinion in depth, then it's a half assed job to walk out of a movie and write your review.

It's great if you can have fun throughout the entire experience of playing, reflecting and writing your piece, but the job isn't "to have fun", the job is to play, reflect and write.

I don't mind people on the internet not playing the game past whatever point they decide to quit, it's your time, your money, you do whatever you want. But if you're paid to play the game, I don't think asking at least to finish the main story is asking too much. For a few specific genres, that's barely scratching the surface, like stylish action games, and yet, I'm ok with it.

Top Bottom