• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

That has nothing to do with this review.
On the contrary, if the reviewer has shown himself or herself to habitually fail to finish games before forming and offering their conclusions, it is entirely relevant to the discussion because that is precisely what has happened here.

While playing a game to conclusion is not always necessary (multiplayer-focused games, for example), that is simply not the case with RPGs or similar.

Mailbox

That has nothing to do with this review. Stop trying to discredit the reviewer because you didn't agree with his score.

That has EVERYTHING to do with this "review".

Automata isn't a game where you ng+ to new content.
Its end of arcs. End of acts.
You play through it 1 time to gets "endings" A B C D and E.

If you can't be "bothered", then don't review. Maybe right an article detailing your thoughts, but not a review.

No one in this thread has ever made mention of the score as a means to discredit. Its all about professionalism and what it means to be a reviewer.

As another said in this thread; I would have been fine with a low score if he had actually finished the thing and gave a proper review rather than some half-assed attempt and a youtubing.

kuroshiki

If you get fucking PAID to do the review, or consider oneself as living by reviewing something, then at least show minimal level of professinalism and finish the game.

No one reviews a movie after watching 30 min, and if one does, no one takes him/her seriously as a reviewer. same should be applied to the game too.

If you get fucking PAID to do the review, or consider oneself as living by reviewing something, then at least show minimal level of professinalism and finish the game.

No one reviews a movie after watching 30 min, and if one does, no one takes him/her seriously as a reviewer. same should be applied to the game too.

It really is that simple.

It's like watching Act 1 of a stage play live, leaving during the intermission, then watching the highlights for the remaining acts at home and tendering a review of the production. Because ain't nobody got time to watch 4 acts!

Who the fuck would do that and expect to retain their credibility as a play critic? Who would defend this critic?

Help me understand.

Nier: A is one of the shortest RPGs to come out in awhile especially compared to XV so there's no excuse at all not to mention it's not the same game three times.

aravuus

100% this dude would've dropped Groundhog Day after 20 minutes and said "it's cool, but I don't have the time to watch the same 10 minutes again and again"

And dummies would've defended it as valid criticism.

Mailbox

Nier: A is one of the shortest RPGs to come out in awhile especially compared to XV so there's no excuse at all not to mention it's not the same game three times.

FF15 is significantly shorter than Nier Automata...
like, you can complete FF15, do a bunch of sidequests, and even grind a bit in 24 hours.

zoukka

This should be the standard yes, but I once talked to a film critic and he said he watches in average 5 films per day, most of which are turds and he could cook, sleep or whatever in the middle of some of them.

I don't blame him.

This should be the standard yes, but I once talked to a film critic and he said he watches in average 5 films per day, most of which are turds and he could cook, sleep or whatever in the middle of some of them.

I don't blame him.

lol this actually sounds like a nightmare ! ;)

Playing until the end of Route A and then beginning Route B is not finishing the game and then playing it again - it's completing the first intended part of the story. I get how that can be confusing and/or not be communicated easily, but I guess that's a Yoko Taro thing and he's not about to compromise any time soon haha. There are perception shifts, character changes, totally different insights into the overall narrative and universe - it's not a NG+, it's different routes that form part of a cohesive whole.

Persona 5 reviews seem like a good comparison here - if people can conduct a full review of a 100+ hour game like that, it's a shorter amount of time to take in Nier Automata by mainlining the A-E endings with a few sidequests. I don't expect reviewers to 100% and Platinum all games they review, certainly not, but they should experience at least the core narrative, which in turn is only achieved by playing routes A-E.

If you're a film reviewer and turned off a 2 hour movie with half an hour to go, you'd either need to make a compelling case as to why it's unwatchable (it's so bad I cannot bear to finish it and here's why...), or you struggle through the last half an hour to make an assessment of the full movie.

timmyp53

Good thing I bought this when it was sitting at 89. I almost bought a shit game with no redeeming qualities. Lol fucking 88 hahaha. Pure garbage.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

I don't blame him.

I do.

If a reviewer is churning out on average 5 reviews a day, they're a hack and noone should give a toss what they think.

Talk is cheap. If a pundit can't be bothered to put the legwork-in (such as it is) what use are they?

Sorry but if all that's required is a quick-and-dirty "hot take", then the position of critic is completely redundant and superfluous to requirement due to the existence of sites like this.

There's an inherent irony in that arts criticism -being historically meritocratic- is largely used these days as cheaply produced, but attention grabbing filler, to feed the internet's insatiable appetite for "content".

GunBR

When you finish route A you get and ending and watch the credits no? This is beat the game
I understand the complains that the reviewers need to see all the endings, but it's not like they dropped the game after 4h

Ascheroth

When you finish route A you get and ending and watch the credits no? This is beat the game
I understand the complains that the reviewers need to see all the endings, but it's not like they dropped the game after 4h
No, you've literally only completed the first arc, act, chapter, call it what you will. The game even has an unmissable message at the end telling you that it's far from over and you haven't seen everything yet.

MCD

You didn't beat the game thrice. You beat it once. They just put some credits in between like acts in a play.

Invalid criticism.

and seeing as how you didn't have it anyway, you won't be missed.

Yes.

Shitty attitude there. I will buy it when I am not busy with life.

No need to get personal.

Hektor

You 👏 have 👏 not 👏 beaten 👏 the 👏 game 👏 when 👏 the 👏 credits 👏 roll

It is exactly like dropping the game 4 hours in, that is literally what he did.

Zafir

Yeah, they should have sent a memo in the review copy that "Ending A/B" aren't actually endings, they're just the midpoint of the game.
Pretty much.

I think it's a fundamental issue with how they're known as endings.

In most games an ending is seen at the end of the game. Not at midpoints. So it's no surprise people stop playing half way through.

Especially with how Route B is
playing another character in the same story
. I could see how some people might think that Route C is going to be that too, or Route B may not offer many changes.

LotusHD

Banned
Shitty attitude there. I will buy it when I am not busy with life.

No need to get personal.

I guess he could've been more polite, but like... you came in completely assuming the wrong thing instead of being informed first, so...

Pretty much.

I think it's a fundamental issue with how they're known as endings.

In most games an ending is seen at the end of the game. Not at midpoints. So it's no surprise people stop playing half way through.

Especially with how Route B is
playing another character in the same story
. I could see how some people might think that Route C is going to be that too, or Route B may not offer many changes.

I told people at one point to stick to saying "Routes", or saying that A/B is the first half, though sometimes I slip myself.

----

As for everyone saying they should've made it more obvious, I mean, clearly I guess they should have, but damn, it's so straightforward lol

Even Route B starts off differently, so you'd think someone would be enticed to go through it and see what exactly is different...

MCD

I guess he could've been more polite, but like... you came in completely assuming the wrong thing instead of being informed first, so...

I told people at one point to stick to saying "Routes", or saying that A/B is the first half, though sometimes I slip myself.

I will be honest: I hated the demo. Hated the camera and the ikaruga-like sudden shift in fights. Hated the no target lock system.

Felt like I was playing a c-tier PS2 game. On top of that I loathed Drakengard ending system. Absolutely disgusting.

The reviews came afterwards and I was in shock. Was really expecting very low scores. Good thing I was wrong though because honestly I may troll a bit but I don't wish for any game to fail.

I gifted it to a friend and they loved it so I need to some free time to play it myself.

It's kind of funny how deeply programmed we are that some of us literally cannot process the concept of the game not being finished after the credits roll.

Originally, I thought the 26 different endings was just a self-depricating joke about how his games always have multiple endings, but seeing the response to the game, I wonder if it was meant to be both practical and mocking.

It establishes the concept that the word "ending" and a credit roll does not mean the story is finished, while poking fun at people who stop at the first ending of a game by pointing out how arbitrary that behavior is.

tuxfool

Banned
It's kind of funny how deeply programmed we are that some of us literally cannot process the concept of the game not being finished after the credits roll.

Originally, I thought the 26 different endings was just a self-depricating joke about how his games always have multiple endings, but seeing the response to the game, I wonder if it was meant to be both practical and mocking.

It establishes the concept that the word "ending" and a credit roll does not mean the story is finished, while poking fun at people who stop at the first ending of a game by pointing out how arbitrary that behavior is.

People accepted that schtick from MGSV. It is somewhat ridiculous that they won't accept it here.

zoukka

I do.

If a reviewer is churning out on average 5 reviews a day, they're a hack and noone should give a toss what they think.

Talk is cheap. If a pundit can't be bothered to put the legwork-in (such as it is) what use are they?

Sorry but if all that's required is a quick-and-dirty "hot take", then the position of critic is completely redundant and superfluous to requirement due to the existence of sites like this.

There's an inherent irony in that arts criticism -being historically meritocratic- is largely used these days as cheaply produced, but attention grabbing filler, to feed the internet's insatiable appetite for "content".

I'm not saying it's a good situation at all, but the publications demand way too many reviews from the writers.

JackelZXA

Using youtube letsplayers to aid in a review seems really shitty no matter how you slice it. How is seeing all the cutscenes going to give an informed opinion when they didnt play through the game to get those cutscenes?

You're supposed to review the user experience, not cash checks as quickly as possible! Most players that know about the third playthrough wouldn't just quit the game and watch the third playthrough unless they're REALLY lazy.

Reviewers aren't our friends (unless your friend is a reviewer) so I don't see why there'd be people rushing to their defense for anything other than actual shitty things like harassment or personal attacks. Criticizing the work someone did is entirely valid because work speaks for itself and work comes first in the public eye. To me that's like saying you can't criticize a game because people worked really hard on it. (although going by his description this reviewer didn't really work that hard on his review)

Gosh, as an aside...imagine if someone got ending
T
after
removing the OS chip
and sold the game back to gamestop thinking they beat it. (That'd be hilarious.)

IKizzLE

If a reviewer can't be bothered to finish a game, then why should I be bothered to finish their review? Or give their opinion any credibility?

Look, its kinda simple. Its a reviewers JOB to be thorough. Getting part-way and then half-assing the rest of it with Youtube viewings is showing open contempt not just for the game and its makers, but for their readership and his peers in the reviewing community.

The bottom line is this is a "professional" who decided that he'd rather spare himself playing a game for a few more hours (poor lamb) than do a thorough job of the task he's been assigned.

Frankly I'd rather he gave the game a lower score but actually stuck with it. Because that would be a proper review at least, not just some sloppy amateur blog.

I agree with you and you shouldn't give him the time of day....but GAF will give these people the time of day regardless.

IKizzLE

Metacritic is industry cancer, at least the way it's worshipped by publishers and used to affect budgets is.

Judge dev studio quality by enthusiast write ups of games by people who didn't even finish them brehs

But how is that Metacritic's fault? Sites like Metacritic, Opencritic, Rottentomatoes, Gamerankings, etc don't actually ADD any value. They just compile review scores. If they were all incinerated from earth, something else would just rise and takes its place. You should direct your ire to the masses, from consumers to developers who put a shit ton of stock into review aggregates.

LotusHD

Banned
http://www.gaming-age.com/2017/04/nier-automata-review-ps4-pc/ - 10/10

Thought reviews were over tbh, although Edge still hasn't been added it seems.

The synergy lives to see another day.

UQvtzHE.jpg

TrueHero

Man I just wanna say, I just got to ending C, and when people say you can't stop at ending A or B and that they're practically the first half of the game, THEY WERE NOT KIDDING LIKE HOLY CRAP. This is like MGS5 but the second half is actually amazing instead of disappointing.

Fat4all

Banned
Man I just wanna say, I just got to ending C, and when people say you can't stop at ending A or B and that they're practically the first half of the game, THEY WERE NOT KIDDING LIKE HOLY CRAP. This is like MGS5 but the second half is actually amazing instead of disappointing.

Yoko Taro games in a nutshell.

He always hides some of the best writing beyond the first two or so playthroughs.

J_Viper

I do really wish there was a "fast forward" feature in Route B.

I mean, the main quest is great ride, but having to play through it again right after is a bit tiring, especially when, so far, it's been exactly the same, minus a few small cut-scenes.

Maybe the second half will differentiate more from Route A.

Of course, the main issue here is the combat. Ten hours into route A, I've pretty much seen all the combat has to offer. It hasn't changed at all. I hope there are some gameplay differences in Route C.

Edit: Just realized this is the review thread, not the OT, whoops

AALLx

You �� have �� not �� beaten �� the �� game �� when �� the �� credits �� roll

It is exactly like dropping the game 4 hours in, that is literally what he did.

Ironically, you kinda have to get past the credits to say you've actually beaten the game...
which is pretty much the hardest part.

Timeaisis

I'm only about 5 hours in but I'd give it a 7 so far. I'm not sure what the hype is about but maybe the story is killer later on. But I can absolutely see why someone would review this poorly. It's kind of janky and if what I've read is accurate becomes repetitive (maybe not so bad, though?).

I dunno, first impressions are very important to some people. Myself included. Working for fun is not some people's definition of fun.

Anyway, a review is a review. I can see why some love this and others hate it, but I'm only so far through and my impressions will change.

I don't really care about reviews but I'm fine with a game not being completed before being reviewed. I'm all for citing Wolpaw's Law in that regardless of how good a game may eventually get, if the parts leading up to that aren't good, then the game is still not good.

Gbraga

When you die on the first mission, you get a credits roll and your save file gets marked with one ending achieved. Is it ok to stop playing at 3 minutes and review the game right there?

LotusHD

Banned
I don't understand this post. I'm giving you my impressions about what I've played of the game so far. Is that a problem?

You said you didn't see what the hype was about, but you're only 5 hours in. I mean, it kinda goes without saying that said "hype" lies far beyond that considering it's a rather lengthy game.

Your first impressions aren't suddenly invalid or anything, I just found that amusing lol

I'm only about 5 hours in but I'd give it a 7 so far. I'm not sure what the hype is about but maybe the story is killer later on. But I can absolutely see why someone would review this poorly. It's kind of janky and if what I've read is accurate becomes repetitive (maybe not so bad, though?).

I dunno, first impressions are very important to some people. Myself included. Working for fun is not some people's definition of fun.

Anyway, a review is a review. I can see why some love this and others hate it, but I'm only so far through and my impressions will change.
C'mon, some of the best games i've played this year start out slowly and make you work for the good stuff. Yakuza, Nier, Nioh, BotW and P5 all do this. Sometimes you need to build up the world and characters.

Servbot24

Banned
On the contrary, if the reviewer has shown himself or herself to habitually fail to finish games before forming and offering their conclusions, it is entirely relevant to the discussion because that is precisely what has happened here.

While playing a game to conclusion is not always necessary (multiplayer-focused games, for example), that is simply not the case with RPGs or similar.

I don't think it's ever necessary for a review. If the review is "This was so bad / boring I couldn't even bother to finish it" I take that as a perfectly valid opinion.

Top Bottom