• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139 - new HD Screenshots [and artworks]

nowhat

Gold Member
I don’t think we no longer going get that type of remasters.
Oh sweet summer child. We sure will - whether the public will buy those remain to be seen, but we will get those. Take something like "Return to Arkham". Yes, it was running an updated version of the engine (UE3 vs. UE4). But the end result is, it can look/run worse than the original.

I'm not saying that will be the case here. But, as always, caveat emptor. I'm very interested in this, but I'll still wait for the reviews, because with something like Square Enix at the helm (I'm not saying they're any worse than your average publisher - at the same time, I'm not saying they're any better) who knows what it'll turn out to be.

Komatsu

Extremely disappointed that they're going with the Replicant and not the Gestalt route - papa Nier is much more interesting than oni-chan Nier, but oh well.

That said, if there's a game that needs a remaster, this is it. The original was unspeakably ugly when it came out in 2010, a year with great-looking releases.

IDAXLYm.png

nowhat

Gold Member
Extremely disappointed that they're going with the Replicant and not the Gestalt route - papa Nier is much more interesting than oni-chan Nier, but oh well.

That said, if there's a game that needs a remaster, this is it. The original was unspeakably ugly when it came out in 2010, a year with great-looking releases.

IDAXLYm.png
I'm preparing to be flamed down to hell, but... that looks just like BOTW?

(not saying BOTW looks particularly good, that's precisely my point)

Last edited:

Phase

I picked up NieR on 360 recently but will have to get an old 360 from somewhere to play it since bc doesn't work. It's eating at me. :messenger_expressionless:

Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Extremely disappointed that they're going with the Replicant and not the Gestalt route - papa Nier
I played and loved papa Nier when it first came out but I always hoping to play as brother Nier someday so I don't mind this.

Last edited:

Komatsu

I'm preparing to be flamed down to hell, but... that looks just like BOTW?

No, it doesn't. I don't carry any torch for Nintendo (as many here know I'm one of GAF's resident SEGA nerds) but even on the Wii U, running with an internal resolution of 720p, BOTW had much better volumetric shadowing, global illumination and the fact it was pseudo-cel-shaded helped soften the impact of any scuzzy textures.

uaq6lh0.png

I screencapped that Nier image myself - currently replaying Nier on my PS3 - and it looks even worse on a big screen TV. Cavia was on its last legs and it shows - what is incredible to me is that Squeenix decided to take the bet on releasing the game almost simultaneously on all territories. The bet didn't pay off - Nier became a cult classic but it did not sell particularly well.

Perrott

Why does this game look so bad after the success of Automata? I mean, it looks worse than The Last Guardian.

Square Enix can and should do better than this.

fvng

So, GAF please clarify me, never played Replicant but played Automata a lot, and i loved it, specially its soundtrack.
How it's Replicant on that department ? God level OST? Nearly as good as Automata? Not even close? Different? Different AND Worse?

God level on everything except combat which was basic but the story, characters, writing, and music was outstanding so it easily compensated for the minor sin of "serviceable" combat mechanics

Last edited:

Fawst

Banned
I see 0 reasons to play it if you know the whole story which all fans do and I doubt it can attract new players when nowadays gameplay matters a lot. Doubt they can improve it significantly. Meh it doesnt even look good.

I'm a fan of Automata, and I don't know the story. It can attract me.

Bryank75

Banned
If only this game was remade on Decima engine cuz the level of detail and just how they imagined this game to look on the concept art is reminds me of Death Stranding, but current engine they're using is just nowhere near as good unfortunately. I hope this time PC port will not be garbage as Nier Automata was and still is.
Yeah, my mind immediately jumped to Death Stranding too.... it definitely has that aesthetic.

Have they even announced a release date for this yet? I just want to know how long I need to wait. If it's 2 years I'll just go into cryosleep or something.

• LOL

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Happy to see this. Its one the games i regret not playing when i still had last gen consoles.
Really hope something for Drakengard 3 too, i'd hate to rely on emulators to play it.

Danjin44

Happy to see this. Its one the games i regret not playing when i still had last gen consoles.
Really hope something for Drakengard 3 too, i'd hate to rely on emulators to play it.
Drakengard 3 absolutely deserves to get remaster/remake, it had fantastic story, characters and loved the OST and the combat was somewhat better than original NieR but god fucking damn the game ran like ass.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Why does this game look so bad after the success of Automata? I mean, it looks worse than The Last Guardian.

Square Enix can and should do better than this.

What are you talking about? This looks like huge step up graphically from Automata.

D.Final

Banned
Drakengard 3 absolutely deserves to get remaster/remake, it had fantastic story, characters and loved the OST and the combat was somewhat better than original NieR but god fucking damn the game ran like ass.

I agree

P.S.: also Drakengard 1 and 2

ExpandKong

Banned
I agree

P.S.: also Drakengard 1 and 2

2 wasn’t Yoko Taro’s, was it? I always heard it was pretty lame.

Drakengard would need a full blown remake and while I would absolutely love that there’s no way any gaming publisher in Current Year is gonna go near that story lol.

• LOL

Danjin44

But, art direction aside, still looks bad by today standards. Btw, Automata already looked outdated in 2017.
Not every fucking developers have crazy budget like Nomura has for their game. Yoko Taro doesn’t get that type of budget but in my opinion makes up for it in its art direction.
2 wasn’t Yoko Taro’s, was it? I always heard it was pretty lame.

Drakengard would need a full blown remake and while I would absolutely love that there’s no way any gaming publisher in Current Year is gonna go near that story lol.
Yeah, Yoko Taro doesn’t do direct sequels so he didn’t work on the 2nd game, as results the Drakengard 2’s story is very dull compare other game in series.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

0A5C0Ql.jpg

EOvZmcX.jpg

N9DEHxu.jpg

EzRuY4b.jpg

u753igw.jpg

zcWcOfI.jpg

dOyLemL.jpg

• Much more than a remaster, it's a "version up"
  • Gameplay has been reworked to please Automata fans
  • PlatinumGames staff helping
  • They want everything to feel new and more polished
  • Camera work staying the same
  • Re-recording lines, VAs still the same
  • 2B and 9S VAs are involved

FUUUUUUCKKKK!!!!!

Dont touch the gameplay. Cavia do a excellent work. Lets keep their legacy

DONT TOUCH IT.

Last edited:

Danjin44

FUUUUUUCKKKK!!!!!

Dont touch the gameplay. Cavia do a excellent work. Lets keep their legacy

DONT TOUCH IT.
I loved original NieR but it wouldn't hurt to improve the combat, but I also think Taura also fan of original Nier so I think he will improve it while keeping original sprite alive.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Not every fucking developers have crazy budget like Nomura has for their game. Yoko Taro doesn’t get that type of budget but in my opinion makes up for it in its art direction.

Yeah, Yoko Taro doesn’t do direct sequels so he didn’t work on the 2nd game, as results the Drakengard 2’s story is very dull compare other game in series.

I think that a Remastered collection would be great

Danjin44

True
But is always nice have a collection
The thing is the 2nd game is no longer canon. Original Drakengard had multiple endings and 2nd game took place after the first ending while NiER take after original Drakengard's last ending.

• Thoughtful

D.Final

Banned
The thing is the 2nd game is no longer canon. Original Drakengard had multiple endings and 2nd game took place after the first ending while NiER take after original Drakengard's last ending.

True
But, since the franchise is the same, I'd like to see all of them for the current gen.
(and a Remastered collection is, probably, the only way for us to see the return of these games)

Geki-D

Banned
The game is really called NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139?
giphy.gif

Still, never played the original but Automata was good so I'll give this a try. Just hope that if it's out at the end of the year there's a next gen version, because once I upgrade I won't be buying any old gen games anymore.

Didn't this game have a different main character in the west compared to JP version, and they made the character some girl's father rather than her brother, or something?

D.Final

Banned
The game is really called NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139?
giphy.gif

Still, never played the original but Automata was good so I'll give this a try. Just hope that if it's out at the end of the year there's a next gen version, because once I upgrade I won't be buying any old gen games anymore.

Didn't this game have a different main character in the west compared to JP version, and they made the character some girl's father rather than her brother, or something?

Yes
(I think Yoko Taro chose the number because mathematically it means 1.5)

Anyway Yes.
The western version had the adult protagonist, and father (Gestalt)
The oriental version, that of the original vision of Yoko Taro, and the version with the teenage boy (Replicant)

Top Bottom