• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo’s president says it will continue to support Switch next year

Draugoth

Gold Member
switch-console-grey-1024x599.jpg

Nintendo‘s president says the Switch will continue to see new software in the next fiscal year.

In a new interview with Nikkei, Shuntaro Furukawa was asked if the lifecycle of the Switch could be expanded further than the six and a half years it’s already been on sale.

“We are still working on software for the Switch for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2025,”

Furukawa said.

“In the fiscal year ending March 31, 2024, we hope to sustain the momentum of Zelda and the [Super Mario Bros] movie, with focus on the holiday sales season. As for hardware, we will maximize not only new demand for the hardware, but also for those buying second consoles and replacements.”

Furukawa replied that Nintendo would continue to focus on the Switch until the end of the current fiscal year ending March 2024, and would continue to support the console with software in the following fiscal year ending March 2025.

Well of course, can't ignore that current install base. Plus any game released at the end of the lifecycle benefits from potentially selling on both generations of console.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Yeah, that tracks. I bet we can expect the Switch 2 to launch in the first half of 2024.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Yeah, that tracks. I bet we can expect the Switch 2 to launch in the first half of 2024.
Yes, I think the reason why they didn't announce the Splatoon 3 DLC release date is because they are gonna release it same day as the Switch 2.

EDIT: They just said Spring 2024, which seems like a very long wait for a DLC.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Yeah even if a Switch 2 comes out there will obviously be a huge install base who will remain on the Switch 1 for a while. And lots of kids who have a Switch won’t be able to upgrade immediately. Mum and Dad won’t wanna buy all their kids brand new Switches all at once. So Switch 1 will get support for a while.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
This is just what Nintendo does to encourage hardware sales.

Here's an IGN article, from shortly after the Switch Launch, where Reggie ensures the base that they will continue to support the 3DS. https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/28/nintendo-will-continue-to-support-3ds-in-2018

Here's an article from Nintendo Life where Nintendo says they'll continue Wii U production after the announcement of the Switch: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...i_u_production_will_continue_beyond_this_week

We all know how support for both looked shortly after.

historically when they say they are going to support the old console even with the new one that's exactly what they are not going to do, any new switch games after the release of "switch 2" will be games that were very advanced in their development for switch

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

We had a good run. It's time to move on. We just need performance patches for Xenoblade 1-3, Mario Odyssey, all of the Pokemon games, and all of the Zeldas. The rest don't matter.

Gambit2483

Hurry up and Announce Switch 2 already you Fuckers!

No one gives a shit about how long you are supporting your dusty ass 2015 year old technology than can't even run 20 year old ports @ 60fps!!

BlackTron

Keep in mind he wasn't asked "will you keep supporting Switch after Switch 2?" rather he was asked "is there a way to continue supporting Switch beyond the 6.5 years it's already been here?"

He answered honestly and factually that they are already working on Switch software for FY ending March 2025 (anyone hear of Paper Mario?) Given that it's most likely that Switch 2 will release holiday 2024, this leaves only several months of support for Switch that is confirmed by this conversation after Switch 2's probable release.

Dcr1d3r

Yes, I think the reason why they didn't announce the Splatoon 3 DLC release date is because they are gonna release it same day as the Switch 2.

EDIT: They just said Spring 2024, which seems like a very long wait for a DLC.
Yeh...I think Splatoon 3 dlc is due around march 2024

Astral Dog

Yea we never seen a system move Nintendo games like the switch. The software is still amazing on it. I wonder how long they will support with cross gen games.
Im guessing it will be around 2 years,let them squeeze every single penny they can out of the Switch before completely moving on

The key is a good balance between exclusive next gen software and cross gen content i think

Chastten

Banned

Here's an IGN article, from shortly after the Switch Launch, where Reggie ensures the base that they will continue to support the 3DS. https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/28/nintendo-will-continue-to-support-3ds-in-2018

Here's an article from Nintendo Life where Nintendo says they'll continue Wii U production after the announcement of the Switch: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...i_u_production_will_continue_beyond_this_week

TBF the 3DS had some pretty good support until roughly 12 months after the Switch launched. Sure, most were ports or niche JRPG's but I had fun with them until I finally bought a Switch in late 2018.

From the top of my head we had Metroid Samus Returns, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga & Bowsers Inside Story, Luigi's Mansion, Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn, Mario Party, Etrian Odyssey, Yokai Watch, Alliance Alive, Fire Emblem Echoes, Mario Sports, Ever Oasis, some smaller Kirby games and a pretty decent selection of third party stuff as well.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned

3ds saw 19 nintendo published retail games across 17 18 and 19 after the switches release, including metroid, pokemon and luigis mansion, so yeah the 3ds post switch support was quite good

Cashon

Banned
3ds saw 19 nintendo published retail games across 17 18 and 19 after the switches release, including metroid, pokemon and luigis mansion, so yeah the 3ds post switch support was quite good
Most of those games weren't even in 3D (though Metroid has some of the best 3D on the system); I can't say they aren't of good quality, but it's pretty evident that they were mostly throw-away games to get some extra sales on a dying system.

The games shown at the last Direct seem very similar, in quality, to this 3DS lineup.

Hurry up and Announce Switch 2 already you Fuckers!

No one gives a shit about how long you are supporting your dusty ass 2015 year old technology than can't even run 20 year old ports @ 60fps!!

Nintendo has one shot at beating the PS2, a system that sold a good chunk of units AFTER the PS3 launched. Only they needn't leave it on the market as long after to pull it off.

This holiday will be the final push for Switch HW, and they will announce Switch NG in January to not disturb the momentum.

15 million units was their internal forecast for this FY, and they hit around 3.9 - 4 million in Q1 this year. Will be interesting to see the Q3 numbers.

Should be a packed and successful Christmas for them with Super Mario Wonder around the corner this month.

Can't believe this system still hasn't got a pricecut in it's lifecycle, let alone a $50 markup, which is just the cherry on top for the investors.

Maybe they will announce a pricecut next FY, and have it as it's last year and milk the HW dry. Hitting their FY forecast this year alone, puts them at 141 million units. If they project the same for next year too, they will break the DS LTD figures, which is quite insane. The PS2 at 160 million is still a stretch though...

Minsc

Gold Member
So is this considered better or worse support than when Sony said they'd only be making PS5 exclusives and have yet to follow through with that?

DrFigs

Remember the wiiu lol. Switch 2 will do great but I'm expecting 110 million this time. As for Microsoft they are too far behind its gonna be Sony vs Nintendo.
Nintendo actually makes exclusives. I think they'll do well just based off of that alone. i would be surprised if it didn't outpace the ps5.

Last edited:

Fbh

With the massive install base on Switch I fully expect at least a year or even two of cross gen support.
Maybe not every title but I wouldn't be surprised if the OG switch keeps getting some lower scale first party games in 2025.

With the massive install base on Switch I fully expect at least a year or even two of cross gen support.
Maybe not every title but I wouldn't be surprised if the OG switch keeps getting some lower scale first party games in 2025.

I guess. To me it seemed like Nintendo is currently dumping their remaining Switch 1 games that they hadn't gotten around to releasing yet.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Switch will no doubt become the best selling dedicated videogame system of all time. It's pretty much in the bag at this point..

The Switch 2 is the only thing that could stop it. But it's already too late for that..

Last edited:
Top Bottom