• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo CEO once halved his salary to prevent layoffs, and it worked

ManaByte

To avoid layoffs, Iwata took a 50% pay cut to help pay for employee salaries, saying a fully-staffed Nintendo would have a better chance of rebounding.

“If we reduce the number of employees for better short-term financial results, employee morale will decrease, and I sincerely doubt employees who fear that they may be laid off will be able to develop software titles that could impress people around the world,” Iwata reportedly said at the time.

For Iwata, taking a pay cut over layoffs centered around his employees’ ability to bounce back, Verma says. Slashing his own salary allowed existing talent to keep working on upcoming projects — which were intended to turn Nintendo’s financial fortunes around — in a stress-free, high-morale environment.

Now you understand why Iwata is revered to this day at Nintendo, even crediting him in the Super Mario Movie.

Cyberpunkd

US CEOs:

Mixed Martial Arts Middle Finger GIF by UFC

Astray

Gold Member

Now you understand why Iwata is revered to this day at Nintendo, even crediting him in the Super Mario Movie.

He literally laid off 320 people in Europe after saying this. All execs are liars.

ManaByte

He literally laid off 320 people in Europe after saying this. All execs are liars.

Nintendo of Europe and temps working through a temp agency aren't the ones making the games, designing the Switch, and working on the movie.

Robb

Gold Member

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Yeah, I read it on here years ago when it happened, it didn't save enough money to do what is claimed, it was just done to stop shareholder outrage when they were in a revenue downturn.

ProtoByte

Hasn't this been deboonked already? Because iirc, it was Japanese labor law that stopped Nintendo from sweeping layoffs, and Iwata halved his salary as a show of good faith and solidarity. Someone freely correct me if I'm wrong there.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

Pure whataboutism. Clearly he was talking about devs and the core team and about preventing some layoffs not all. While a CEO tends to make 100s more than the average, cutting their pay can only directly fund 100s of people's salaries. But you can point to a bit of data that contradicts this statement only when you add meaning to it that was never there so I guess you win the "I don't understand the issue but I can google something to say that it is bullshit award" for this thread.

winjer

Gold Member

This is what a true leader does.
Too bad most CEOs only care about themselves and their bonus.

Astray

Gold Member
Pure whataboutism. Clearly he was talking about devs and the core team and about preventing some layoffs not all. While a CEO tends to make 100s more than the average, cutting their pay can only directly fund 100s of people's salaries. But you can point to a bit of data that contradicts this statement only when you add meaning to it that was never there so I guess you win the "I don't understand the issue but I can google something to say that it is bullshit award" for this thread.
Whataboutism?

Literally what he talked about happened through his own doing less than a year after he said what he said.

Also CEOs cutting their pay is nonsense meant to placate the masses, the vast majority of their money comes from their stock options, which they can borrow against sell etc etc etc.

Layoffs should require executives to take a salary cut by law and if records are hit in following years the company should need to pay bonuses to the actual workers and not the suits who just fired a bunch of people and actually did nothing to improve the productivity, since the fewer, remaining people did.

Last edited:

artsi

Nice story but how much was his salary and how many jobs did it save?

I really doubt any gaming CEO earns so much that 50% of his salary would save hundreds of jobs if mass layoffs were necessary.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Nice to hear about a CEO doing something positive.

I really doubt any gaming CEO earns so much that 50% of his salary would save hundreds of jobs if mass layoffs were necessary.

CEO pay is ridiculous though, I know you've put the caveat that you're talking about gaming CEOs, but it's worth sharing (IMO) that in 2021 CEOs were paid 399 times as much as an average worker. In that instance, they could halve their pay and save 200 jobs. I assume that given that CEO pay has been on an upward trajectory for a while, it might be even more average jobs that could be saved.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
There are two issues with this conceit, one is that you can't save that many jobs and two is that it doesn't necessarily fix the problems with the company that lead to the need for layoffs. Like, if you look at Google, they're laying off 12,000 people, you can pay Sundar Pichai $5 and you're not going to save those jobs, many of which are dead weight anyway. Now, that said, Sundar Pichai sucks so the right move is to get rid of him and replace him, but you're gonna have to pay the next guy.

I think Iwata's move was unique to Japan and unique to Nintendo. For one thing, Japanese CEOs are not as paid highly as in Europe and USA and the culture is different. Two, there was nothing fundamentally wrong with Nintendo's business. They were still making great games and still knew how to sell their products. They just released a bad console that the market didn't like. There was no need to lay off teams of people doing great work and contributing. The team that made the Wii U screwed up but they still needed a hardware team. They just needed to release a better product which they had in the works. Iwata basically bought some time with the move which is what they needed.

FingerBang

You have to be retarded to think that amount of money keeps a company afloat. Absolutely a great gesture, especially if you're not paying bonuses in Japan (which are technically part of your salary but companies can decide not to pay if finances are bad) and can't raise employee's salary. I can believe it had an effect on morale and might have pleased shareholders, but let's not pretend that saved people's jobs.

Killjoy-NL

There really is a shitstorm coming, isn't there?

This basically reads like after #SonyToo, we now see #NintendoToo.

calistan

You have to be retarded to think that amount of money keeps a company afloat. Absolutely a great gesture, especially if you're not paying bonuses in Japan (which are technically part of your salary but companies can decide not to pay if finances are bad) and can't raise employee's salary. I can believe it had an effect on morale and might have pleased shareholders, but let's not pretend that saved people's jobs.
It's definitely a morale issue. CEOs are more than adequately compensated off the payroll, it's just that the salary is the thing that makes the headlines and makes the ordinary worker resentful.

Steve Jobs was the lowest salaried employee at Apple, on just $1 per year, and yet he could afford to have this yacht built .

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nintendo is famous for extreme employee retention rate before and after this, it shows how it was ingrained to the company by people like Iwata, which little shitty trolls that nobody will remember and their close circle will probably celebrate when they die like Astray try to smear after their death and inability to defend themselves. Obviously the money saved didn't save the jobs, he saved the jobs by showing this is how he takes real responsibility for the issues to shareholders and the world while maintaining the company's integrity and structure and leading it to the good times ahead :goog_cool:

Last edited:

Skelterz

Satoru Iwata, Bless the man. The Nintendo switch was his final swan song unfortunately he didn’t make it long enough to see the fruits of his labour. I do believe the recent up swing in Nintendo’s output around that time was a desire to make right by the failure of the Wii u and to honor Iwata’s passing.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

AJUMP23

He is a legend. He also wrote code on Pokémon or something that allowed them to double the size of the game because of his memory usage tricks.

Shut0wen

What he did was legendary but most ceos of companys and development studios dont even earn a large enough bonus to cover staff costs, like no bonuses could cover 1900 people being laid off at activision

tkscz

Nintendo of Europe has a separate CEO than Nintendo of Japan, Iwata didn't make that decision, Satoru Shibata did.

59% of those employees were contractors for translation. None of these employees worked on games.

SHA

Nintendo Europe? What is that? PR department?
Also PR in Switch era was different and waaaaay better than any PR before. WiiU is struggling because of everything PR so it's all for better and Switch proved it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom