• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo CEO once halved his salary to prevent layoffs, and it worked

He literally laid off 320 people in Europe after saying this. All execs are liars.

Well taking a pay cut to save jobs doesn't mean you can save them all but that's a lot more than many CEO's do.

Bkdk

Nintendo never overhired during 2020-2021, for many of the US tech corps, even after big layoff wave, their employee count is still significant higher than 2020. So many hired 50% during 2020-2021.

//DEVIL//

IF i am not mistaken. All Nintendo CEOs are related to the family.

I could be wrong. but I do believe thats what was said before. they are related to the original owner of nintendo or under the same family tree or something like that. if thats the case. then it makes sense what the CEO is doing.

other companies? they are just employees.

ManaByte

I could be wrong. but I do believe thats what was said before. they are related to the original owner of nintendo or under the same family tree or something like that. if thats the case. then it makes sense what the CEO is doing.

Iwata wasn’t. The “family business” thing ended with Yamauchi.

What do you mean "it worked"? What does that mean?

He halved his salary because Nintendo lost money for 3 years straight and people were calling for him to resign. This was also during the multi-year period where Nintendo was facing relentless pressure to do business on smart devices, and Iwata was the #1 opponent to doing so, and he finally relented in 2014 after it was clear that 3DS was going to struggle just to do half of the business the DS did, and Wii U failed to gain any traction in the market at all even after 3D Mario, Mario Kart & Smash were all released on it.

Iwata oversaw two complete hardware launch failures in a row starting with 3DS and ending with Wii U, and yeah he was deeply involved in what would eventually become the Switch, but let's not pretend he was this religious-like golden leader who was just this amazing person. He had his strengths & weaknesses, just like anyone else. And yeah, he was charismatic and he certainly was responsible for Nintendo navigating the choppy waters during the boring era of 2003-2005, when GameCube wasn't doing well commercially, and Nintendo was getting absolutely annihilated on the home console side by Xbox and PS2. He saw that a GameCube 2.0 without any major innovations was poised to not do well against a PS3 and Xbox successor, unless they pivoted and did something new.

He was a visionary, for sure. But he certainly should not be credited for the salary cut thing. He deserved to take a salary cut, NIntendo was *losing money* for years under him from 2011-onward until 3DS started to take off. Honestly, if your company loses money for a whole year, you should not even get a salary. Not when you're the CEO. You make money when the company is profitable, you don't make money when it isn't.

Last edited:
Nintendo Europe? What is that? PR department?
Also PR in Switch era was different and waaaaay better than any PR before. WiiU is struggling because of everything PR so it's all for better and Switch proved it.
Right. No one cares about Nintendo subsidiaries. Nintendo certainly doesn't lay off internal game development staff. Quite the opposite, even during Wii U they were always hiring and getting bigger, to increase their development capabilities. But subsidiary marketing/PR staff? Yeah those groups are never safe from consolidation or layoffs. NoA did a major re-org at the end of 2021 and got rid of their CA office and laid off a bunch of people.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The main benefit to a move like this is it lowers the operating cost, but it maintains the morale inside the company.

It's like leading an army. You have an advantage if you keep the soldiers riled up. If you lay off employees you get hit with less energized teams.

No. This hasn't been true for 22 years.

Last edited:
So PR people are fine to fire?
I didn't say that. I just remember how misleading and awful Nintendo PR was in that time. Everyone (and GAF especially) made A LOT of jokes about that. Maybe Nintendo learnt from it and those lay-offs are direct consequences of that. Or maybe that was tough times for Nintendo just like now. Or both. But it's all my opinion/guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom