• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct Announced for Tomorrow, June 18th

EruditeHobo

Do we still trust Midori? Do we trust someone saying Midori went back to their group chat and mentioned Live a Live 2?

I'm sorry... FFTR, as in Final Fantasy Tactics Remake? Is this a real thing?

If so I'd love to get a look at it. Mostly because this IMO has an incredibly small strike zone and I'd love to know if they're going to fuck it up. I can't imagine what FFT is if it's not in that artstyle, and I wonder how "remake-able" that is.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan

If so I'd love to get a look at it. Mostly because this IMO has an incredibly small strike zone and I'd love to know if they're going to fuck it up. I can't imagine what FFT is if it's not in that artstyle, and I wonder how "remake-able" that is.

Remaster. It's a holdover from the Nvidia leak.

Bond007

Bummer about the console aspect.
But i am excited to see what they are putting out for later in the year. Im not expecting much this close to a successor.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
My predictions:

-Switch Price cut
-Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for Switch
-Metroid Prime: Echos announcement, and drop the same day
-Indie trash
-Their "one last thing" will be another Metroid 4 trailer with actual gameplay shown but no release date

They will not have any real new 1st party games (new 3d mario, etc..) as those are obviously coming as launch titles for Switch 2.

Shifty1897

As I understand it, it's a remaster, not a remake. Supposed to be in the same vein as Tactics Ogre Reborn. Same team too, if leakers are to be believed.

THE DUCK

Banned
Why the hell would they do that now that the hybrid approach worked so well for them? Insanity..

Not necessarily. You assumption runs on the idea that switch 2 has no competition this time around again and it's very unlikely that will be the case. There's no easy and clear road back to 130 million this time. Potential threats include those who just dont feel they need another handheld, phones, sony and or ms launching a handheld hybrid, and pc handhelds getting cheaper and easier to use. Diversifying thier offers brings more potential customers into play.

Adding a regular home console will allow them to broaden thier appeal amoung all gamers. The cost? Having to make 2 games at once, but this is very minimal as the architecture is similar, which it will be.

Not the same as previous generations where nintendos mobile hardware was drastically different and two seperate versions of games would have to be made, splitting team focus and resources.

If anything, if ms becomes 3rd party, the idea of a Nintendo console probably becomes way more likely. All games would be day and date on both systems.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I'm calling it now, we're going to see a new Donkey Kong. They are giving away retro avatars in the store if you play the NES version.

Video Game Fight GIF by Regal

Emedan

Not necessarily. You assumption runs on the idea that switch 2 has no competition this time around again and it's very unlikely that will be the case. There's no easy and clear road back to 130 million this time. Potential threats include those who just dont feel they need another handheld, phones, sony and or ms launching a handheld hybrid, and pc handhelds getting cheaper and easier to use. Diversifying thier offers brings more potential customers into play.

Adding a regular home console will allow them to broaden thier appeal amoung all gamers. The cost? Having to make 2 games at once, but this is very minimal as the architecture is similar, which it will be.

Not the same as previous generations where nintendos mobile hardware was drastically different and two seperate versions of games would have to be made, splitting team focus and resources.

If anything, if ms becomes 3rd party, the idea of a Nintendo console probably becomes way more likely. All games would be day and date on both systems.
You're wack, Nintendo realistically have no competition in the handheld market. PC Handhelds are only for hardcore enthusiasts and phones have been used as a potential killer for 15 years now, it just isn't.

The next Nintendo console will be a hybrid.

THE DUCK

Banned
You're wack, Nintendo realistically have no competition in the handheld market. PC Handhelds are only for hardcore enthusiasts and phones have been used as a potential killer for 15 years now, it just isn't.

Of course the switch 2 will be hybrid, but that doesn't keep them from launching a dedicated console that is far more powerfull.

Yes they have no real competition right now, but what do think happens if both Sony and Ms join in? You really think Nintendo isn't going to lose millions of units sold?
How would they make up that loss?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
My predictions:

-Switch Price cut
-Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for Switch
-Metroid Prime: Echos announcement, and drop the same day
-Indie trash
-Their "one last thing" will be another Metroid 4 trailer with actual gameplay shown but no release date

They will not have any real new 1st party games (new 3d mario, etc..) as those are obviously coming as launch titles for Switch 2.
This seems like the most realistic prediction.

And honestly, as much as I’d want a new Mario game, I’d rather they save it for the Switch 2. I really want their next console to do well. The support for the Switch has been just phenomenal over these last 6-7 years. I really want that to continue, and I’m desperately hoping Nintendo doesn’t completely fumble the ball, like they did with the Wii U.

Of course, if Mario Kart 9 is a launch title on the Switch 2, that right there will probably be enough to kickstart their sales.

Zannegan

Gold Member
Of course the switch 2 will be hybrid, but that doesn't keep them from launching a dedicated console that is far more powerfull.

Yes they have no real competition right now, but what do think happens if both Sony and Ms join in? You really think Nintendo isn't going to lose millions of units sold?
How would they make up that loss?
I don't see what splitting their resources and relaunching into the stationary console market does to combat that.

If they need to diversify, a PC or mobile client would be a much safer bet with a lot smaller investment.

I just want 3 things:
1. Zelda windwaker HD.
2. Zelda Twilight Princess HD.
3. Xenoblade X

Just give me one of them, please
I can't abide XCX on the switch 1, I think XCX will need to be on switch 2 because these half-assed ports run very poorly, even Xenoblade 1 Definitive Edition is a blurfest on that hardware.

Shooting Star GIF

PSA:

For all of you who haven’t played Fantasian, it has some rough spots on Apple Arcade, it has very difficult spikes in the later half of the game. Some needless grinding as well.

That said, it SHOULD have been a finalist for 2021 GOTY, and honestly, based on the games nominated, it would have WON!

It feels like a throwback game and feels like they took many of the systems in FFVII (PS1) and FFX (PS2) and made a Ghost in the Shell style game. No microtransactions, no BS. Just a straight forward game. There is a reason everyone who has played it says “DAY One purchase”.

It Mistwalker and Square ironed out the rough spots, it will be a GOTY nominee. If you grew up with a PS1 or PS2, you are in for a real treat!

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Banned
I don't see what splitting their resources and relaunching into the stationary console market does to combat that.

If they need to diversify, a PC or mobile client would be a much safer bet with a lot smaller investment.

Sony and Ms have proven there is still a very large group of console buyers who want something more powerfull/cutting edge.
Something you just can't get in a portable hybrid. So it gains them X percentage of a market they currently don't participate in.

Pc may be "safer" but requires producing on a platform you don't control and you have to give up a percentage of sales. Mobile just isn't conductive to their games and they already dabble in it.

Fbh

Not that exciting other than some potentially interesting third party announcements.
Don't expect anything major from Nintendo if it won't feature the Switch 2 and will focus on games coming out this year.

Maybe some of the missing WiiU games like Twilight Princess, Wind Waker or Xenoblade Chronicles X. Which I guess would still be pretty cool.

Reactions: Isa
I guess in a way, the more underwhelming this direct is the better, since you want lots of resources committed to switch 2 games lol. So let's hope it's a really bad one?

Echoes Remastered coming out this year would be awesome tho

Isa

Shooting Star GIF

PSA:

For all of you who haven’t played Fantasian, it has some rough spots on Apple Arcade, it has very difficult spikes in the later half of the game. Some needless grinding as well.

That said, it SHOULD have been a finalist for 2021 GOTY, and honestly, based on the games nominated, it would have WON!

It feels like a throwback game and feels like they took many of the systems in FFVII (PS1) and FFX (PS2) and made a Ghost in the Shell style game. No microtransactions, no BS. Just a straight forward game. There is a reason everyone who has played it says “DAY One purchase”.

It Mistwalker and Square ironed out the rough spots, it will be a GOTY nominee. If you grew up with a PS1 or PS2, you are in for a real treat!
Thanks for the impressions, I'd been interested in it for a while, if it comes to console I'd definitely get it day 1.

Blindy

Level 5/Prof Layton coming in hard tomorrow. Dude isn't missing a chance to get on this Switch console with his own game.

zokie

Gold Member

Google Translated
Hello, this is Miyamoto. We will be broadcasting a Nintendo Direct tonight, but before that I would like to make an announcement.The release date for the new Super Mario animated movie in Japan has been set for April 24, 2026. We are working with the Illumination team to make it a fun movie, so please continue to look forward to it.

Google Translated
The news release "The Japanese theatrical release date for the new Super Mario animated film by Illumination and Nintendo has been set for April 24, 2026
April 3rd 2026 for the west

Last edited:

It’s highly unlikely the Switch successor will sell as many units as the Switch family of systems. It will be extremely difficult for them to match the success they’ve had with the Switch.

Having said that, I think it has potential to do very well depending what new features it offers and if the software lineup throughout the lifespan can be as good or even somehow better than Switch 1.

Without knowing what Nintendo has planned, it’s hard to say beyond that. But if it’s just a much more powerful Switch, and doesn’t do anything else new or unique, a 130 mil install base seems unlikely to me.

But Nintendo’s been saying for years they want to avoid the usual pitfalls of platform transitions going off the Switch, so maybe they’ve got it all figured out 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Shifty1897

My Bingo card if anyone else wants to play:

Top Bottom