• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct Announced for Tomorrow, June 18th

nial

Gold Member
It Mistwalker and Square ironed out the rough spots, it will be a GOTY nominee. If you grew up with a PS1 or PS2, you are in for a real treat!
Confused Donald Trump GIF

Power Pro

I am trying so hard to not get my hopes up for the direct tomorrow. It's already a little disappointing because we won't hear anything about the Switch successor, but the Switch, and Steam are basically my platforms of choice these days. I like to collect physical games, and Switch feels like the best console to do it. Can still get the occasional game that requires no update, and doesn't need extra storage to play.

When they showed this in the trailer, I was sold instantly. There are not many games that you can exit the mecha anytime you want, even less for transforming mecha anytime.

It's the weirdest xenoblade, and the weakest in terms of story (which I still liked,) but it's my favourite because of the immersive world and mecha madness/crazy customization

Emedan

Of course the switch 2 will be hybrid, but that doesn't keep them from launching a dedicated console that is far more powerfull.

Yes they have no real competition right now, but what do think happens if both Sony and Ms join in? You really think Nintendo isn't going to lose millions of units sold?
How would they make up that loss?
There's no need to launch a dedicated powerful console. There's Xbox and PS for that.
It’s highly unlikely the Switch successor will sell as many units as the Switch family of systems. It will be extremely difficult for them to match the success they’ve had with the Switch.

Having said that, I think it has potential to do very well depending what new features it offers and if the software lineup throughout the lifespan can be as good or even somehow better than Switch 1.

Without knowing what Nintendo has planned, it’s hard to say beyond that. But if it’s just a much more powerful Switch, and doesn’t do anything else new or unique, a 130 mil install base seems unlikely to me.

But Nintendo’s been saying for years they want to avoid the usual pitfalls of platform transitions going off the Switch, so maybe they’ve got it all figured out 🤷‍♂️
Oh yeah I don't think whatever Nintendo does next will sell as much as Switch 1, but it doesn't have to be doing those numbers to be successful. Sony never replicated PS2 numbers again either but still have had very successful generations after it.

I think what Nintendo does not want is another Wii U, GC och N64. Those numbers are just too small. A Switch 2 hybrid will guarantee some sort of success, 80 million units isn't bad you know, they don't have to sell 150million. Nintendo got the form factor and the games, they don't need to compete with MS and Sony on power.

Reactions: KU_

RCU005

i don't mind a wind waker remaster 😉 even though I own the gamecube original
I still have the game, but don't have a GC. I've never been able to get a GC at good price.

I played the remaster on Wii U, but the game I really want is Twilight Princess. I got rid of the Wii U to buy a PS4 ( I regret so much getting rid of it), so I didn't get to play the HD remaster. This is the chance to get it.

Hopefully is both in one package, though. Otherwise is going to be like $40+ each

THE DUCK

Banned
There's no need to launch a dedicated powerful console. There's Xbox and PS for that.

Oh yeah I don't think whatever Nintendo does next will sell as much as Switch 1, but it doesn't have to be doing those numbers to be successful. Sony never replicated PS2 numbers again either but still have had very successful generations after it.

I think what Nintendo does not want is another Wii U, GC och N64. Those numbers are just too small. A Switch 2 hybrid will guarantee some sort of success, 80 million units isn't bad you know, they don't have to sell 150million. Nintendo got the form factor and the games, they don't need to compete with MS and Sony on power.

I get all of that, they don't have to do anything other than launch the switch 2. But what would be wrong with 80 million switch 2 sales and another 40 million Ultra Nintendo sales?
All of the add on sales would be at the expense of Sony and Ms.

And to say Nintendo doesn't need to compete on power means you don't understand why the wii u failed. It was a generation old hardware when it launched. The only reason switch wasn't required to compete on power was because it had zero competition in the mobile console space.

A middle ground might be switch 2 launching with a seperate powered up dock (external gpu), supported by all games.
Play up to 1080p on the console, at 4k on the "enhanced" dock with higher res textures. Sold separately, don't care about graphics, don't buy it, care and "switch" it up!

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I get all of that, they don't have to do anything other than launch the switch 2. But what would be wrong with 80 million switch 2 sales and another 40 million Ultra Nintendo sales?

And to say Nintendo doesn't need to compete on power means you don't understand why the wii u failed. It was a generation old hardware when it launched. The only reason switch wasn't required to compete on power was because it had zero competition in the mobile console space.

A middle ground might be switch 2 launching with a seperate powered up dock (external gpu), supported by all games.
Play up to 1080p on the console, at 4k on the "enhanced" dock with higher res textures. Sold separately, don't care about graphics, don't buy it, care and "switch" it up!

Personally I would welcome this, however the cost of the ‘dock’ could be comparable to a separate console. I don’t think there is a quick connect bus that would be fast enough to connect just the GPU. Most likely it would need to be its own embedded system with the CPU, GPU, RAM, video output at the minimum. Then the bus would be just a fast way to tap into the user memory in a way that switches out the portable circuitry to the dock circuitry while retaining the state of the user data, making it feel seamless to the consumer, which has value.

Emedan

They tried competing in the power space, that was the GC, didn't doo much for them. They don't need to go after a market already saturated with machines.

Nintendo need to appeal to people who bought a Switch. The "power" market is already saturated with Xbox and PS, it can barely hold two players, let alone three. Yeah Wii U was underpowered but so was Wii. Wii U was plagued by bad marketing and a gimmick that didn't really work or add anything to the gaming experience as well as being underpowered, this in stark contrast to the Switch.

Just because you people dream of another GC does not mean that have mass market appeal with the kind of people who actually buy Nintendo consoles today. Believe me I wouldn't mind a powerhouse Nintendo device, but I realise it's stupid - I've been happy with the Switch this past gen and it's more than enough for the type of games Nintendo makes.

The story took a big hit when they decided to make it a multiplayer game. They scrapped the story that as thick as a novel
It's still a very interesting story where the premise is particularly strong, and it explores fascinating ideas like transhumanism. But it really fizzles out and doesn't have the extremely good characters of the other Xenoblades.

THE DUCK

Banned
They tried competing in the power space, that was the GC, didn't doo much for them. They don't need to go after a market already saturated with machines.

Nintendo need to appeal to people who bought a Switch. The "power" market is already saturated with Xbox and PS, it can barely hold two players, let alone three. Yeah Wii U was underpowered but so was Wii. Wii U was plagued by bad marketing and a gimmick that didn't really work or add anything to the gaming experience as well as being underpowered, this in stark contrast to the Switch.

Just because you people dream of another GC does not mean that have mass market appeal with the kind of people who actually buy Nintendo consoles today. Believe me I wouldn't mind a powerhouse Nintendo device, but I realise it's stupid - I've been happy with the Switch this past gen and it's more than enough for the type of games Nintendo makes.

Gamecube failed for all kinds of other reasons not related to its raw power.

(Not my list but very on point) :
Overreliance On First Party
No Online Poor Launch Titles
Loss of Rareware
Microdisks
Missing Genres
The Controller
Immature Perception
Appearance
Lack Of DVD Player

The wii was underpowered and would have failed if not for the motion control gimmick that sold it to people generally not into gaming.

When the wii u launched, instead of having proper power, they went for another gimmick that failed.

Then we went to switch, which went all in on mobile but also hooked to a tv.

They don't need to launch a crapy gamecube product for kids alongside the switch 2. They would need to launch a proper, fully current gaming focused console that is cool and powerfull. People would buy this, even if you think it's dumb. Even more so if ms was fully creating software for it alongside Nintendo.

The portable and home console can co exist, and I think you will see that long term from all of the "big three". (Or big 2 if ms drops out)

And I don't buy the "Nintendo doesn't need the power" arguement for it's games. If that was the case why not just stick to 16 bit graphics, I mean those games were fun, right? People still want improved graphics, or why should they upgrade from switch? (And that's going to be part of the struggle)

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They would need to launch a proper, fully current gaming focused console that is cool and powerfull. People would buy this, even if you think it's dumb. Even more so if ms was fully creating software for it alongside Nintendo.

This series of posts is somehow even dumber than the guy who thinks his Xbox is still trying to update when the power cord's been pulled out

THE DUCK

Banned
This series of posts is somehow even dumber than the guy who thinks his Xbox is still trying to update when the power cord's been pulled out

So your against actually unleashing the immense skill of Nintendo developers on current gen hardware? Not much of a gamer then eh? Go watch some emulated botw at 4k and it's a tiny tease of what we could be playing.

Ok then, go back to your 2016 hardware and enjoy. I have a toaster I can lend you if you want, I think it has more raw computational power than the switch at this point.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So your against actually unleashing the immense skill of Nintendo developers on current gen hardware? Not much of a gamer then eh? Go watch some emulated botw at 4k and it's a tiny tease of what we could be playing.

Ok then, go back to your 2016 hardware and enjoy. I have a toaster I can lend you if you want, I think it has more raw computational power than the switch at this point.

It's kinda hard to be against playground fantasies man

It's about as realistic an idea as "dude what if like zelda and mario teamed up and they called it odyssey of the wild dude"

THE DUCK

Banned
It's kinda hard to be against playground fantasies man

It's about as realistic an idea as "dude what if like zelda and mario teamed up and they called it odyssey of the wild dude"

I'm not sure why you think it's pure fantasy for a company who is a 100% gaming company to be considering releasing 2 sku's. I mean Nintendo literally did it for 20 years, and this was back when developing for 2 skus was 20x harder. I guarantee that they have considered it even if they rejected the idea, probably even have prototypes.

And you know that the other 2 gaming companies are considering the exact same thing.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: AV

Quezacolt

I'm not sure why you think it's pure fantasy for a company who is a 100% gaming company to be considering releasing 2 sku's. I mean Nintendo literally did it for 20 years, and this was back when developing for 2 skus was 20x harder. I guarantee that they have considered it even if they rejected the idea, probably even have prototypes.

And you know that the other 2 gaming companies are considering the exact same thing.
And one of the biggest reasons why they had big droughts of first party releases for their con soles was because they had to focus on 2 machines. that is one og the biggest reasons why they decided to make the Switch a hybridc, because they could focus on only one machine, and just release all their games for that.

Robb

Gold Member
I wouldnt class a 'bros' game as a mainline mario.
I’d definitely consider it mainline in the 2D line. IMO it’d be ridiculous to consider Super Mario Bros. 3, for example, as not being a mainline Mario game.

Last edited:
My questions,

Side Note: Nintendo usually never announces hardware in a Direct.

1.) Will we see a Switch Lite OLED and gradual phasing out of the Switch OLED. So that Nintendo can focus on the Switch 2 sku? Having a Switch Lite OLED at $199 or $229 and a Switch 2 sku at $399 or $499 makes more sense to me personally. It doesn’t clutter tHe Nintendo product line.

2.) Will Nintendo Selects return?

Some people argue for and against as it really isn’t needed anymore. But it does provide “impulse” purchases at the store for Grandma, Mom & Dad for their kids.

Last edited:

AV

1.) Will we see a Switch Lite OLED and gradual phasing out of the Switch OLED. So that Nintendo can focus on the Switch 2 sku? Having a Switch Lite OLED at $199 or $229 and a Switch 2 sku at $399 or $499 makes more sense to me personally. It doesn’t clutter tHe Nintendo product line.

The whole point of the Lite is that it's a cost-effective model. You're not getting an OLED Lite and especially not less than a year away from a Switch 2.

The sort of people that care about OLED are not the ones saving money on a portable only unit.

The whole point of the Lite is that it's a cost-effective model. You're not getting an OLED Lite and especially not less than a year away from a Switch 2.

The sort of people that care about OLED are not the ones saving money on a portable only unit.
Hmm…i understand that line of thinking.

It could cause a surge in sales and would allow Nintendo to clear our stock of the Switch chipset And components.

I don’t see Switch 1 dropping to $199 or $229. Getting to $199 or less is a sweet spot for Nintendo (historically) speaking.

***And I believe you will see a few games today that will make a Switch Lite very appealing for some***

Last edited:

NikuNashi

I’d definitely consider it mainline in the 2D line. IMO it’d be ridiculous to consider Super Mario Bros. 3, for example, as not being a mainline Mario game.

When Super Mario Bros 3 released there were no 3d mario games. But since 64, 2d mario games are not concidered mainline. Purely my classification.

Sunshine
Galaxy
Galaxy 2
Odyssey

Last edited:
Shooting Star GIF

PSA:

For all of you who haven’t played Fantasian, it has some rough spots on Apple Arcade, it has very difficult spikes in the later half of the game. Some needless grinding as well.

That said, it SHOULD have been a finalist for 2021 GOTY, and honestly, based on the games nominated, it would have WON!

It feels like a throwback game and feels like they took many of the systems in FFVII (PS1) and FFX (PS2) and made a Ghost in the Shell style game. No microtransactions, no BS. Just a straight forward game. There is a reason everyone who has played it says “DAY One purchase”.

It Mistwalker and Square ironed out the rough spots, it will be a GOTY nominee. If you grew up with a PS1 or PS2, you are in for a real treat!
You sold me on the game but.. Any way to play this without an apple device?

I sold my Switch a couple months ago, but if we got Zelda ports I would buy one again in a heartbeat. I don't care about much more then that so I'm doomed to be disappointed.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
You will get Yoshi's Woolly World: Director's Cut for Christmas, and you will like it.

I mean, I wouldnt complain about that because the soundtrack alone is fuckin aces

Crafted World can eat a big fat paper mache glittery dick though

Top Bottom