• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct June 21 - What Will We See?

Skeptical

Neo Member
A 2D Mario would be logical. And fantastic. As for the SNES remake, Fire Emblem 4 was heavily rumored in the past. It seems odd to announce it just a few months after Engage, but it is at least a possibility.

Nautilus

Banned
Just saw the the game refered to in the SNES rumor. Chrono Trigger HD 2D remake or Super Mario RPG Remake. If its Chrono Trigger, the internet will melt. Chrono Trigger is one of those sacred franchises that hadn't had a new entry, or just an actual game worked on, for what? Almost 25 years?

This will be an even bigger reveal than FF 7 Remake.

Woopah

Just saw the the game refered to in the SNES rumor. Chrono Trigger HD 2D remake or Super Mario RPG Remake. If its Chrono Trigger, the internet will melt. Chrono Trigger is one of those sacred franchises that hadn't had a new entry, or just an actual game worked on, for what? Almost 25 years?

There's no way a Chrono Trigger remake is bigger than a FFVII remake.

Square Enix working on Chrono Trigger AND FF7 Remake at the same time is hard to believe. And it’s definitely something they would want to do in-house because its their gem.

Then again if its a HD 2D remake with no changes…man that would be epic. And possible. Are the other HD 2D remakes done in-house or no?

Square Enix working on Chrono Trigger AND FF7 Remake at the same time is hard to believe. And it’s definitely something they would want to do in-house because its their gem.

Then again if its a HD 2D remake with no changes…man that would be epic. And possible. Are the other HD 2D remakes done in-house or no?

If this is true, I hope it's a remake of the DS port. It's still the best version of Chrono Trigger released

Nautilus

Banned
There's no way a Chrono Trigger remake is bigger than a FFVII remake.
Depends with whom you are talking to. To forum dwellers I think that a Chrono Trigger Remake would have been, on average, a more desirable game. Gaming in general? FF 7 Remake wins for sure.

Anyways, Chrono Trigger is one of the few, if not one of the only ones, where the announcement of a new game, remake or not, would be the equivalent of gaming's hydrogen atomic bomb. The omly ones left with the same gravitas that could produce a similar effect that I can think right now is Half Life. And that's about it? What other super popular/highly beloved marquee franchise that's been dead for decades that could rival an announcement of a new game in the Chrono Trigger franchise?

Nautilus

Banned

Team Asano is an internal team, aren't they? As far as I know, they only worked on Square games.

Depends with whom you are talking to. To forum dwellers I think that a Chrono Trigger Remake would have been, on average, a more desirable game. Gaming in general? FF 7 Remake wins for sure.

Anyways, Chrono Trigger is one of the few, if not one of the only ones, where the announcement of a new game, remake or not, would be the equivalent of gaming's hydrogen atomic bomb. The omly ones left with the same gravitas that could produce a similar effect that I can think right now is Half Life. And that's about it? What other super popular/highly beloved marquee franchise that's been dead for decades that could rival an announcement of a new game in the Chrono Trigger franchise?

Yep

I think FF7 is overrated but I understand that the Remake was a huge thing when it was first announced due to the OG game impact on the gaming industry

If this rumor ends up being true, this would be a massive announcement for me. Keep it HD-2D, and Remake the full game from the DS port since that's the best version

Last edited:

Woopah

A 2d mario would be boring as fuck, ugh.
On its own it would be boring, but as part of a varied lineup it would be quite good.

All HD 2D games are managed by Team Asano, but made in collaboration with outside studios.

Nautilus

Banned
I don't want a full 3D Remake though, I want a HD-2D REMAKE of Chrono Trigger. If this rumor ends up being true
Oh, I meant expanded in terms of pure content that the game has(Larger areas, optional dungeons, more sidequests, expanded mini ganes, things like that). If this is getting announced at a Nintendo direct, and its not in a time that the Switch 2 is already public information and Nintendo acknoledgef it, I 100% expect it to be HD-2D.

If Chrono Trigger ever gets a new 3D entry, its going to be the third(tecnically fourth) game in the franchise, Chrono Break.

Oh, I meant expanded in terms of pure content that the game has(Larger areas, optional dungeons, more sidequests, expanded mini ganes, things like that). If this is getting announced at a Nintendo direct, and its not in a time that the Switch 2 is already public information and Nintendo acknoledgef it, I 100% expect it to be HD-2D.

If Chrono Trigger ever gets a new 3D entry, its going to be the third(tecnically fourth) game in the franchise, Chrono Break.

I would be fine with Chrono Break being fully 3D but that game is never being made. I would want all the OG people who worked on Chrono Trigger or Cross to be part of that project if it ever came to fruition

Shifty1897

37uE6pD.jpg

You're telling me there's a chance my favorite game from my childhood is getting remade in HD-2D?

Nautilus

Banned
I would be fine with Chrono Break being fully 3D but that game is never being made. I would want all the OG people who worked on Chrono Trigger or Cross to be part of that project if it ever came to fruition
Depends if this remake is trye and if it is successful. But the part about the original team comming back is a pipedream, far more than Square making Chrono Break.

Depends if this remake is trye and if it is successful. But the part about the original team comming back is a pipedream, far more than Square making Chrono Break.

Oh I know since it's SquareEnix. I always say I miss the Square from the SNES/PS1/PS2 ERA. It's just a pipedream I know. If SquareEnix made Chrono Break today, it would most likely not be good, unless you get YoshiP or Yoko Taro on the project with whoever still around at the company that was involved with the making of Trigger and Cross

Nautilus

Banned
Oh I know since it's SquareEnix. I always say I miss the Square from the SNES/PS1/PS2 ERA. It's just a pipedream I know. If SquareEnix made Chrono Break today, it would most likely not be good, unless you get YoshiP or Yoko Taro on the project with whoever still around at the company that was involved with the making of Trigger and Cross
Eh, Yoko Taro? That guy only made 1 popular game. And neither Yoshida nor Yoko Taro makes turn based games. And while Nomura is their best director currently, he is not a turn based kind of guy.

If anything, I really prefer if they just let them Asano have a crack on it, with enough budget and a team with 3D game development experience.

Eh, Yoko Taro? That guy only made 1 popular game. And neither Yoshida nor Yoko Taro makes turn based games. And while Nomura is their best director currently, he is not a turn based kind of guy.

If anything, I really prefer if they just let them Asano have a crack on it, with enough budget and a team with 3D game development experience.

Not a fan of Nomura, it would be an instant skip if he was involved

I would be fine with Asano making a Chrono Break but Story/Character wise, I wonder if they could make it as memorable as Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross

Last edited:

I would put a remake of Ocarina Of Time, Metal Gear Solid, & Super Metroid in that category. Although not dead franchises (MGS is close to that) it would melt the fanbase.

It sounds like Nintendo may very well win “E3” this year.

And If they announce a date for the Switch 2 presentation? Hoo boy. Lets go!!!!

Nautilus

Banned
Not a fan of Nomura, it would be an instant skip if he was involved

I would be fine with Asano making a Chrono Break but Story/Character wise, I wonder if they could make it as memorable as Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross
Don't know. I though of Team Asano more in relation to the gameplay loop and overall design. They did a masterful job with OT 2.

Story is indeed a convern, but Square could always bring someone different from another department to write it.

Don't know. I though of Team Asano more in relation to the gameplay loop and overall design. They did a masterful job with OT 2.

Story is indeed a convern, but Square could always bring someone different from another department to write it.

Yeah gameplay wise I would be fine with Team Asano

Now Story wise it would have to be as fantastic as Trigger and Cross

With Characters as memorable as the cast from Trigger and Cross. With Cross though, I mean the main cast not the extra characters added. It would need great villians too. Which is why I say it would be tough

I'm fine if they go full 3D with a Chrono Break game

Not sure if I would like them taking a Action RPG route with the gameplay though

Nautilus

Banned
Yeah gameplay wise I would be fine with Team Asano

Now Story wise it would have to be as fantastic as Trigger and Cross

With Characters as memorable as the cast from Trigger and Cross. With Cross though, I mean the main cast not the extra characters added. It would need great villians too. Which is why I say it would be tough

I'm fine if they go full 3D with a Chrono Break game

Not sure if I would like them taking a Action RPG route with the gameplay though
Square has enough action RPGs going for at the moment. It only makes sense to diversify and keep Chrono Break turn based.

Well the insiders are disagreeing. Some are saying Chrono Trigger will be announced. Others are saying it is actually Super Mario RPG ReMake.

Nautilus

Banned

Almost a garantee now that a direct is soon comming. Stuff is starting to leak, so if you don't want to see them, get off this thread now.

Nautilus

Banned
Big grain of salt: A youtuber by the name of PapaGenos(Don't know how reliable he is, but people on the internet seems to believe him) is backing EVEN FURTHER that a Super Mario RPG remake is indeed being announced soon.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Big grain of salt: A youtuber by the name of PapaGenos(Don't know how reliable he is, but people on the internet seems to believe him) is backing EVEN FURTHER that a Super Mario RPG remake is indeed being announced soon.

They’re going to “improve” it by removing all XP, stats, and equipment and making every conversation 10x as long.

nikos

Rumors of rumored games at a rumored direct.

This is why there's absolutely zero sense of urgency for Nintendo to release new hardware. People get excited over nothing.

Last edited:

Woopah

Rumors of rumored games at a rumored direct.

This is why there's absolutely zero sense of urgency for Nintendo to release new hardware. People get excited over nothing.
People always get excited for game announcements. It has nothing to do with new hardware.

Top Bottom