• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2014

rjc571

Banned
I believe Wakeda is a clone of DSiWare game Art Style: NEMREM (aka Art Style: ZENGAGE (US) / Art Style: SOMNIUM (JPN) ). 2D Rubik's cube is the gameplay if that makes sense. Production qualities are a bit low (especially when compared to the Art Style game) but there are quite a lot of puzzles.

I believe there is a demo out (if you have an NNID linked) that contains about a third of the game.

It's not exactly a clone of Zengage... they're both involve rotating rows or columns of a 2D grid in order to resolve the grid in a specific way, and the first few levels of Zengage feel like the first few levels of Wakedas, but the way the complexity of their puzzles evolves is totally different.

In Wakedas, every puzzle takes place on a square grid, and every tile has a certain color (some even have multiple colors). You need to resolve the grid so that it forms a picture with every color grouped together. This mechanic has a ton of depth, and the difficulty evolves by introducing larger puzzles with more colors.

In Zengage on the other hand, you only need to move certain colored tiles into certain locations on the grid, designated by colored balls (which don't ordinarily move when you rotate the grid). The grid can take on any shape (rather than just a square), and as you go along the game introduces a plethora of new mechanics which increase the complexity of the puzzles exponentially. By the end of the game you'll be moving arrows around to slide bombs onto ice-covered tiles to blow up locks that were preventing you from rotating certain rows, while simultaneously managing the tiles so that the colored balls don't get blown up or knocked off the stage. It gets crazy complex with all of the mechanics the game throws at you.

tebunker

Banned
Just wanted to pop in and say that Armillo a ton of fun. It has some rough edges but the game play is solid and interesting. Some stages have a lot of speed, there are some neat puzzles and they did a lot to mix up the worlds.

I am really digging the music and the "secret levels". I don't know how much I can post about it, I am not reviewing it but review embargoes end on the 2nd.

I plan on getting the OT for it done tonight. I have some avatars from the dev and will try to do some other stuff with them as well.

maxcriden

Just wanted to pop in and say that Armillo a ton of fun. It has some rough edges but the game play is solid and interesting. Some stages have a lot of speed, there are some neat puzzles and they did a lot to mix up the worlds.

I am really digging the music and the "secret levels". I don't know how much I can post about it, I am not reviewing it but review embargoes end on the 2nd.

I plan on getting the OT for it done tonight. I have some avatars from the dev and will try to do some other stuff with them as well.

Thanks for the impressions. I'm looking forward to playing it, and to your OT!

Oddduck

I want to co-sign on this. I played a review copy as well, and I can't say too much about it. But I agree with what tebunker said.

I'm curious to see whether critics will like or hate this game.

GulAtiCa

I'm looking forward to this Thursday, for the main obvious reason of course :p, but for having Friday off and for finally being able to try out Armillo as well as Poker Dice Solitaire Future.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So what actually happens when you flick the 3D slider? Like, resolution, effects, and framerate wise?

RiggyRob

So what actually happens when you flick the 3D slider? Like, resolution, effects, and framerate wise?

Resolution goes up from 400x240 to 800x240 (400x240 per eye), effects are unchanged IIRC, but framerate can take quite a dip depending on the game.

Edit: This is assuming you're going from 2D to 3D of course, if it's the opposite then the reverse applies obviously.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Thanks for the impressions, I'm really excited to try this out on thursday.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Resolution goes up from 400x240 to 800x240 (400x240 per eye), effects are unchanged IIRC, but framerate can take quite a dip depending on the game.

Edit: This is assuming you're going from 2D to 3D of course, if it's the opposite then the reverse applies obviously.

Actually a bunch of games add 2xAA when in 2D mode.
Some games go from 60fps to 30fps in 3D mode, not many tho. Of course games holding 60fps in 3D mode look absolutely incredible.

BooJoh

It's a shame that it's only in Europe yet but hopefully this cross buy operation will be appreciated and the technical contraints that prevented it to happen in the US will be fixed."

Wonder if this lines up with what I said earlier about NOA never doing a cross buy promotion. Before anyone mentions fire emblem and SMT, that was from club nintendo and not NNID.

The fact that 1001 Spikes seemed to not actually get a loyalty discount as advertised, but rather was discounted to $10.01 for everyone on Nintendo systems might also be related.

Top Bottom