• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

I saw a thread about wild guesses for E3.

Nintendo going 3rd party was one of the outrageous guesses.

Nintendo is no longer a first party publisher.

I bet mobile developers are having crisis meetings at the moment. Because, IF Nintendo plays this right, some mobile deva are about to feel the pain.

Nintendo is still a first party developer. Don't expect the same type of games we get on consoles and handhelds from them to be on mobile, even with this

The reason I'm not overly happy with this is due to my feelings on mobile gaming. I just don't get it. The games seldom control well due to capacitive touch screen which is far from accurate and the games drain the battery like crazy. I need my phone to have battery but just 5 minutes on a game drains the battery 5 to 10%. It's insanity.

I'll never embrace mobile gaming until this is resolved. That's why I'm sad that my favourite developer is jumping on it. I'll seldom be able to properly play the games they provide because I need my phone not to be dead.

As long as it doesn't impact their core business on Wii U/3DS/NX, I'll be happy, though.

If you can´t be happy for the games, be for the brand promotion. And for the silence of analysts.

Ninjimbo

I'm not really excited for this because mobile games tend to be garbage and I don't see Nintendo really putting their ace teams to make these games. I just hope they make money to fund their real games on the Wii U or whatever console without any fuss from their shareholders.

Give me Zelda U on time please.

Baleoce

iy6ex.jpg

"Ahhh, you think DeNA is your ally.."

Metal B

You'd be surprised how much they outsource and rely on temp workers.
Yes, i heard from that. But even they will properly be exited about a much more constant flow of work. All in all it kind of place the reach of Nintendo out and give them more options ... at least it will finally stop shareholders, some forum-users, experts and journalist to list, why Nintendo should go mobil and why it would be the best thing ever. And we are over the account-system problem. Only missing from the list are region-lock, cross-gaming, 3rd Party support and DOOMED!

To clear up some confusion i quote myself and add some further stuff

So what does it all mean?

You sure about that? No hybrid? Give me some quotes!

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/03.html

Earlier

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/05.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

Ok, ok. No hybrid. But what about playing 3D World on mobile?
We will get the virtual console right?

But but they said they won´t go mobile before. So anything can happen, right?

Yes, but not in the foreseeable future. If you believe in a 3rd party Nintendo or ports of existing games on your experia you either didn´t read any of the news today, you have a dragon avatar or you are just trolling.

Im the only one that has read this post and the OP?

Or are people crying wolf becuase they like to do it?

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
History repeats itself. Nintendo dismisses, everyone insists them, they give in. Discs, online gaming, HD graphics, second analog stick on DS series, smartphone games.

JoeM86

Lots of iPhone 5s have horrible, shit batteries.

Check the battery replacement page to see if you are eligible to get a new battery:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

Well it happened on my last two phones too, that's why I've been so against mobile gaming in general.

My battery isn't eligible

If you can´t be happy for the games, be for the brand promotion. And for the silence of analysts.

They'll just jump on the next thing when the mobile bubble bursts :p

Corgi

Banned
All I'm reading is at the cost of sticking mario on some flappy bird clones, we can get a working account system on n3ds and wii u.

I'm all good.

Well it happened on my last two phones too, that's why I've been so against mobile gaming in general.

Well if this thread is any indication they will read the headline, half the text, imagine the rest, come to strange conclusions and close with a snarky "told you so".

maxcriden

Okay, well, questions about this because it was a bit of a humdinger to wake up to.

Nintendo will be making smart device games for PC/mobile/tablet, right? It's safe to assume though that any games playable on PC will only be just versions of the mobile/tablet games. I think? Just kinda speculating here. So, if that's the case, I think it's relatively safe to assume any/all of these games will be touchscreen games and not use a traditional controller. Is that everyone here's impression, too? If so, I'm curious to see what kind of games are planned.

If the account system + smartphone games will launch in Fall 2015-ish, is it safe to assume we'll get info by E3 at the latest?

Also, do y'all expect any mobile/tablet Nintendo games would also be made available on the 3DS/Wii U eShops? (Or would that defeat the purpose?)

One more question. Is everyone also assuming Nintendo's smartphone games will advertise their exclusive 3DS/Wii U SW/HW as well? I'd think that has to be part of the point of this.

Chaos17

Did nintendo actually say that, they said they wont be just porting old games.

From Iwata

Please also note that, even if we use the same IP on our dedicated video game systems and smart devices, we will not port the titles for the former to the latter just as they are. There are significant differences in the controls, strengths and weaknesses between the controllers for dedicated game systems and the touchscreens of smart devices. We have no intention at all to port existing game titles for dedicated game platforms to smart devices because if we cannot provide our consumers with the best possible play experiences, it would just ruin the value of Nintendo’s IP.
And, if I can talk a bit further about our game development plan, we will continue doing our best to develop dedicated game titles for our dedicated game hardware platforms just as we have been doing. For smart devices, even in the case where we utilize the same IP, we will create completely new game software that will perfectly match the play styles of smart devices.

As for the details of the game applications for smart devices, we will make the announcements on other occasions. I hope you will look forward to our future announcements.

WalTech

F2P Animal Crossing. You can buy 10,000 bells for 50 cents.

Nintendo incapable of working on new games due to all of their buildings being buried under the weight of their own cash.

Seriously, though, is there a better franchise to put on mobile? I just want a new animal crossing, damnit. One I could play while I sit around drinking coffee in the morning would be pretty amazing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm curious if there's been any word on whether DeNA will continue developing new non-Nintendo games now, or if they'll go all in with Nintendo IPs or games under this initiative?

I'm sure it must be tempting to focus on the Nintendo stable of IPs.

From another viewpoint, things could get tricky if DeNA continues developing their own properties outside of the auspices of this agreement, and there's subsequently a disagreement about whether a particular game or idea belonged to DeNA alone or both companies. E.g. if DeNA went on to develop an idea independently of Nintendo that DeNA and Nintendo at one time collaborated on or rejected.

doofy102

All I'm reading is at the cost of sticking mario on some flappy bird clones, we can get a working account system on n3ds and wii u.

I'm all good.

Get a grip, this is much bigger than that. More like a gameboy reboot. Maybe even something more ancient than that. Like resetting the clock on game development history. A "what if" scenario; "What if gaming began with touchscreens instead of buttons?" Limited input. Small games. But: measured mechanics and deep gameplay. (Half sarcastic)

Neff

I'm all good.

Pretty much. Everyone rips them off anyway, and people will buy any old shit, so I don't see too many downsides. In the past it looked like there was a danger of players leaving Nintendo if they could get their N-fix on rival platforms, but since a) they're doing that anyway and b) Nintendo's core business is supported more than ever by its faithful market, and remaining profitable at that, then I really see no harm in them doing this. It can only bring in more money and customers.

I will say though that Nintendo will be the ultimate Litmus test for the mobile industry. If they can't make it work reliably, over a long period of time, then there's something inherently unstable about it and its future possibly dim.

Tobor

So get an iPad Mini and keep your phone on the charger. This isn't a problem for the vast majority of people.

I play games on my phone every day and my battery life is fine.

Chaos17

F2P Animal Crossing. You can buy 10,000 bells for 50 cents.

Nintendo incapable of working on new games due to all of their buildings being buried under the weight of their own cash.

Seriously, though, is there a better franchise to put on mobile? I just want a new animal crossing, damnit. One I could play while I sit around drinking coffee in the morning would be pretty amazing.

Probably won't happen
Regarding the design of these games, Iwata stated that some smartphone games have a “notorious” reputation for overcharging consumers or being inappropriate for children due to their monetization schemes. Nintendo, he said, wish to avoid doing this and will make an effort not to indulge in unfair practices. In fact, Nintendo will be handling the planning and design for their smartphone titles. Meanwhile, DeNA will handle server development, daily operations, and user analysis, since those are the company’s strengths.
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2015/03/1...-games-dena-will-operate/#SwUc6yPVdJpvotCW.99

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'm curious if there's been any word on whether DeNA will continue developing new non-Nintendo games now, or if they'll go all in with Nintendo IPs or games under this initiative?

From another viewpoint, things could get tricky if DeNA continues developing their own properties outside of the auspices of this agreement, and there's subsequently a disagreement about whether a particular game or idea belonged to DeNA alone or both companies. E.g. if DeNA went on to develop an idea independently of Nintendo that DeNA and Nintendo at one time collaborated on or rejected.
If you read and followed what transpired during the event, you'd know that they are going to still continue with their other collars and own ip too.

dream

I can't believe I actually just read the words "when the mobile bubble bursts," followed by someone saying, "and it will" in 2015. In a thread where Nintendo validates mobile as a legitimate handheld gaming platform.

Azure J

Im the only one that has read this post and the OP?

Or are people crying wolf becuase they like to do it?

You know the latter was to be expected with the news. Personally, I think it's awesome. Nintendo gets to dip its toes into the mobile market, doesn't forsake its traditional development stylings, commits to the idea of building games to the strengths of both and (the megaton for me personally) they get a legit infrastructure from a proven force. There's also the silent admission that they aren't going to sit around and remain rigid against change like this.

Oh and there was all that NX stuff but yeah, overall a really solid showing.

Lumyst

Interesting to see their hints from previous investor events come together, I think they said they are going to try to get a synergy going between mobile gaming and console gaming, and even they were talking about possible M&A's or partnerships to do so. What I was curious about was whether they would directly try to profit off of the mobile side of that synergy, haha

Mr Swine

Banned
Probably the worst news I've read in a long long time :/ Now I can see classic IP as Metroid go smartphone and not on 3DS :(

duckroll

This is a sort of non-issue given the sort of business DeNA is in. They're not some huge mobile developer with original hits of their own. Their strength is in offering a platform for partners. Their biggest titles are generally tie-ins with other companies - Final Fantasy, bunch of anime stuff, titles from other publishers, etc. Nintendo is now their biggest partner yet, but that doesn't mean they're going to turn other partners away.

You're missing the point in regards to the controls. Nintendo isn't going to be emulating a "touch-gamepad," or anything like that. They know it's brand-tarnishing to emulate a classic gamepad game on a mobile. They know it's a drastically flawed experience. This is why they aren't porting old games.

The issue of controls will be avoided entirely by making games built around mobiles. They'll be games that control more naturally on a mobile than they do on a gamepad.
Exactly.

This step had to be done, I'm glad they are doing it the right way.

JoeM86

Newsflash

People aren't ever gonna stop making games when there are BILLIONS of mobile devices and climbing out there.

Some of you people are fucking delusional.

Not saying that, but the monetisation model on it and how the games are presented can't last. The mobile gaming industry, considering its installbase and amount of developers is doing pitifully, financially.

Something has to and will change in that regard

if only that dedicated portable device had a fraction of the install base that smartphones do...

Yuh I know. I was just pointing out the silliness of the poster suggesting that someone buy a separate device for these games when the whole reason this is happening to begin with is because people don't want to carry their phone plus a portable gaming device.

If you want to play every Nintendo game, you'll need a phone or tablet from here on out. :)

It's 2015, I have a phone and a tablet.

Cyd0nia

Banned
Their plan to create totally different styles of software is the right one, because you know they won't half ass it - and if they create good games it can only be good for their brand.

Incorporating miiverse will make miiverse a more powerful platform, should they choose to do that.

I'm assuming the PC side will leverage the Windows Phone / Windows 8/10RT platform - ie. I can play that Sonic Runner game on my phone and on my Windows laptop.

It's a wise move IMO, if they do it right it doesn't have to jeopardise their existence as a platform holder. It may in fact strengthen them.

This could have interesting ramifications for their next handheld and its development environment, if they choose to make these games playable, but its unclear if that's the case.

If I'm EA, or one of the other big publishers who has been enjoying success on mobile, I wouldn't know whether to welcome this or fear it. This is a space Nintendo can dominate of they choose to.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is a sort of non-issue given the sort of business DeNA is in. They're not some huge mobile developer with original hits of their own. Their strength is in offering a platform for partners. Their biggest titles are generally tie-ins with other companies - Final Fantasy, bunch of anime stuff, titles from other publishers, etc. Nintendo is now their biggest partner yet, but that doesn't mean they're going to turn other partners away.

Ah OK. That makes sense. I imagine they'll have to be careful to ensure ideas don't hop over fences between partners though.

It'll be interesting to see what proportion of their business this venture ends up being.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The problem is that kids are growing up now without Nintendo games. I see it everywhere I go, young kids out with their heads buried in their parents' smartphones playing mobile games.

It's like the "PlayStation" generation. We've got adults now who've only ever known Sony and Microsoft platforms. Nintendo have never been relevant to them and their platforms have just passed them by.

If Nintendo just ignore this it'll be like Steve Jobs said when he met resistance from within Apple against the iPad. "If we don't cannibalise our own $1000 laptops with these $500 tablets, someone else will."

There's no harm in devaluing a brand if that brand will have no value in the future anyway. Kids do not need Nintendo any more, so Nintendo have to make the effort to stay relevant.

I fully understand the reasons. And i like the way they approach this, with this deep business partnership, which shows that they are really serious about this, it's not just a side thing. But still, they will need to allocate resources for this and that means less resources for the dedicated gaming devices, because I don't see Nintendo expanding too soon after they are just back in black. So it will have an impact even if not immediately.

They aren't even porting their old games to mobile, they are hardly going "all in". More like tipping a toe in just so their shareholders will stop bothering them about it so much.

You should read the op. Porting their old game would mean tipping a toe, they are going really full in with a full partnership and developing new account structure and new games together with DeNA.

So once we remove the clickbait headlines the real news is probably that Nintendo is not going to make mobile games, but it’s loaning some of it’s IP to mobile developer to make their own games.

As explained in the Q&A, Nintendo will develop most of the front end of the mobile games while DeNA will handle the back end.

Because traditional console/handheld companies have had such success on mobile...

...this will be an interesting diversion but I can't see it leading to anything fruitful outside of shutting up shareholders for a while.

None of the traditional console/handheld companies took this approach. They rather tried to make companion apps and port old games. This is not a shareholders bait, it wasn't even presented in the last investor meeting. It's a big venture.

Edit: Nintendo has proven before that they know how to do good games based on touch controls, I'm sure they will do nice games, just don't expect a full Zelda or something.

Tobor

Yuh I know. I was just pointing out the silliness of the poster suggesting that someone buy a separate device for these games when the whole reason this is happening to begin with is because people don't want to carry their phone plus a portable gaming device.

It's 2015, I have a phone and a tablet.

I wasn't the one complaining about battery life. My phone has been my portable gaming device for years. I was just saying that since Joe has a battery phobia, he has options.

Top Bottom