• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

Cautiously optimistic. Though I thought they weren't thing to be doing full games... Just like small ones to attract people to the other main console...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo will never make a succesful home console again, so this is smart

What an idiotic statement. This is exactly what people were saying after Gamecube, and then the Wii hit and destroyed everything else.

You never know what can hit and be popular in this industry.

B4s5C

For those saying Animal Crossing on mobile, I don't think that will happen. It drives a lot of hardware sales so putting the game on mobile may be too risky. Although I would imagine an Animal Crossing spin-off where you can gain new items/money and it transfer over to your game.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The games nintendo are good at making are games tailored to the strengths of specific hardware. I see no reason to assume or believe that the developers tasked with these projects will be incapable of making games that are suited to the capabilities of said target hardware.

I dont think they will be incapable either, but neither do I think they are gods that tower above everybody else. Thousands of developers are already making mobile games with pretty unconvincing results, and while Nintendo will surely want to be among the top tier of those - that wont really mean that much imo.

My brand new Note 4 is ready. Lots of crow being served with this announcement to all the people who doubted this would happen. A Pokemon version of P&D would make bucket loads of money. I would spend a lot money on it.

Grym

F2P Animal Crossing. You can buy 10,000 bells for 50 cents.

Nintendo incapable of working on new games due to all of their buildings being buried under the weight of their own cash.

Seriously, though, is there a better franchise to put on mobile? I just want a new animal crossing, damnit. One I could play while I sit around drinking coffee in the morning would be pretty amazing.

I'd more expect some sort of F2P Animal Crossing minigame (and the same for other franchises). Like maybe a game based on it's version of fishing.....or clothing design...or Feng Shui interior design... or whatever like that. Basically a way to put some gameplay elements, concepts, and characters in front of many more players in an attempt to eventually sell the full new AC title to them on the latest Nintendo console

What an idiotic statement. This is exactly what people were saying after Gamecube, and then the Wii hit and destroyed everything else.

It's actually a fairly reasonable statement given the current circumstances. There's no reason to believe another Wii will happen.

HUELEN10

At least you're in the right chair.
BF9GtLV.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I dont think they will be incapable either, but neither do I think they are gods that tower above everybody else. Thousands of developers are already making mobile games with pretty unconvincing results, and while Nintendo will surely want to be among the top tier of those - that wont really mean that much imo.

Just look at this year's games. Mario Maker, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Mario vs. DK could very well be turned into mobile games. It's not like they are missing ideas. I could see also a F-Zero playing nicely on mobile with motion controls.

HUELEN10

The Wii wasn't exactly a model for long-term success.
As stupid as it sounds, and I realize this sounds crazy, I think Wii U didn't fail the market, the market failed it.

Not some fanboy either, I've felt that way about a lot of things. Vault, Pepsi Jazz, Amazing Fruit, G4 Cube, Zune, etc...

Calamari41

41 > 38
I can imagine having to go to a Nintendo storefront to buy these mobile games, and while you're there you can also browse dedicated handheld and home console games. If you own the systems, you can buy these games right there on your phone so that they're available to play the next time you sit down at your tv. If you don't own the systems, they're whited out and you are given the information you need to buy one. I could actually see that having an effect on their traditional business.

Given the actual scope and circumstances surrounding the dedicated gaming hardware industry, I think it's quite accurate.

There's a reason why Nintendo is searching alternatives to get the fuck out of that market.

So... while NX is obviously still happening, does anyone else get the sense that NCL is at least preparing for the possibility that it'll fail and will be their swan song in the dedicated gaming hardware business?

I mean, this seems to mark a pretty huge strategic shift. AFAIK, everything Iwata had said before today about "leveraging smart devices" was about using them to promote software on dedicated platforms, not about treating iOS/Android as revenue streams in their own right.

Effect

Interesting news to wake up to for sure. However better then expected. The dedicated gaming hardware side isn't changing. I'm gald Iwata made an effort to say that directly. It's continuing with the project name of the next system (be it hand held or home console or both) being revealed. That's a huge positive.

Another positive is that no dedicated software is going to be ported over. That means no VC on the smart phones. So those that were hoping to force Nintendo's console games or back catalog onto mobile can STFU. Instead games designed specifically for the mobile will be done. Which is good. If one of the IPs are going to be used it should be designed around the touchscreen not have an existing games shoehorned into it. That shouldn't devalue the IP. So those with dreams of playing a full official Pokemon game or a Mario platformer. Let those misguided dreams die like they should. That shit isn't happening.

Another thing that I don't think was said but I think might very well be implied. Dedicated games won't be going to mobile on this new system they're making but they didn't say anything about those games on mobile not coming to the dedicated platforms. The very fact that something like Pokemon Shuffle and the Puzzle and Dragons game are on the 3DS at the very least suggest those mobile games could end up on the the Wii U/3DS or whatever the new system(s) end up being called.

Nintendo going into the mobile space has always concerned me. It still does but at the very least Iwata is not going all in and instead making it clear it's just part of their expanding into new areas while not ignoring or reducing their dedicated gaming side. That's the biggest thing that has worried people I think.

My biggest concern going forward is if the mobile side starts to make more money then the dedicated console side of things and it doesn't push people toward the dedicated platforms were more fully featured and more complex games exist. However we are likely some time away before that becomes an actual real concern.

I'm curious to see how this plays out. Right not this isn't a sky is falling. A sky is falling is Nintendo trying to force a Mario platformer on mobile and forsaking a console or hand held version. That isn't the case and seems like it won't be the case and what Mario game that does appear won't be anything close to Galaxy, 3D World, or hell even the original Super Mario Bros game.

Wait and see more engaged.

Edit: Also if this is successful it could allow Nintendo to push that cutting edge tech again and take the loss on the dedicated hardware side a little if the mobile side buffers them.

Those complaining about this I have to ask. Do you buy Nintendo games and consoles? Did you buy the 3DS or Wii U? If not then those people should shut up as your lack of support adds to their lower sales and part of why this has happen. Those people that do not buy Nintendo have no right to complain about this or be concerned I feel. They have no right to voice an opinion of opposition to steps Nintendo takes to make sure they as a company do well just because they dislike mobile but where no where to be seen. Those that are their customers should feel concerned I think, are in the right to praise or be down on this but also be open minded about how this will play out. Especially since it's success benefits us as customers and gamers on the dedicated hardware front.

Skux

Best of luck to them. They are in a tank full of juggernauts now. I've always wanted to see how Mario would do against Clash of Clans.

Neff

It was a short-term success model so stupendously profitable that it will be able to sustain the company's current low-key operating model for many, many years. If they only pull off a Wii or a DS every ten-fifteen years or so, they could consider that to be a very lucrative method of doing business.

So... while NX is obviously still happening, does anyone else get the sense that NCL is at least preparing for the possibility that it'll fail and will be their swan song in the dedicated gaming hardware business?

I honestly can't think of one single good reason why they would be, or why anyone who knows what's up would either. Nintendo's top to bottom control of hardware/software manufacture, and the huge profit margin they make on it, is integral to their business. They'd need a string of failed hardware launches (and by failed I mean disastrously non-profitable, Virtual Boy tier failures) before they even considered it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

It's actually a fairly reasonable statement given the current circumstances. There's no reason to believe another Wii will happen.

Except you both ignored his statement: he definitively stated that they wouldn't release another successful system. That's all. Not that we wouldn't see another insane Wii-level of sales. Nobody was talking about long-term success.

bomblord1

Banned
If Nintendo is developing these games internally won't this stretch their already extremely stretched resources? Nintendo can't even manage having a large number of in house games releasing both on the wiiU and 3DS at the same time how does adding mobile development help with this?

Draxal

All I know is they're going to release some version of that fire emblem tcg on mobile and I'm going to to eat it up.

If Nintendo is developing these games internally won't this stretch their already extremely stretched resources? Nintendo can't manage having a large number of games releasing both on the wiiU and 3DS at the same time how does adding mobile development help with this?

Speculation is that DeNa will develop mobile with some Nintendo IPs.

Woffls

I've always thought that such an endeavour should primarily serve as a gateway to Nintendo IP for people who have not invested in their core platforms.

Nintendo's staying power is a result of making great games, and improving the value of their IP in an industry where almost everyone else does the opposite.

Ensuring that new audiences become invested in characters like Link, Mario, Samus and Peach is really the only way they can continue to succeed long-term in the competitive console space.

Cyd0nia

Banned
Got a long way to go to reach the market highs of the Wii etc but I think the potential is even greater

screenshot_2015-03-17k9qqr.png

Will watch with great interest

Wish I'd bought some stock yesterday!

JoeM86

I mean, this seems to mark a pretty huge strategic shift. AFAIK, everything Iwata had said before today about "leveraging smart devices" was about using them to promote software on dedicated platforms, not about treating iOS/Android as revenue streams in their own right.

Absolutely not, no.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
After playing a lot of GX. No it couldn't.

It won't be GX ported to mobile. It could be a new F-Zero created specially for mobile, balanced for that control method. That's the whole point.

Did they specify that? They never said their mobile games won't be available on their dedicated systems AFAIK, especially if we're talking NX.

I think the mobile games will be playable on NX, it would makes sense, as NX being the premium experience, to have everything.

Speculation is that DeNa will develop mobile with some Nintendo IPs.

Reality and statements are that they are co-developing, Nintendo focusing on front end and DeNA on back end.

Top Bottom