• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

maxcriden

Re-asking since I didn't get any replies to this--

Okay, well, questions about this because it was a bit of a humdinger to wake up to.

Nintendo will be making smart device games for PC/mobile/tablet, right? It's safe to assume though that any games playable on PC will only be just versions of the mobile/tablet games. I think? Just kinda speculating here. So, if that's the case, I think it's relatively safe to assume any/all of these games will be touchscreen games and not use a traditional controller. Is that everyone here's impression, too? If so, I'm curious to see what kind of games are planned.

If the account system + smartphone games will launch in Fall 2015-ish, is it safe to assume we'll get info by E3 at the latest?

Also, do y'all expect any mobile/tablet Nintendo games would also be made available on the 3DS/Wii U eShops? (Or would that defeat the purpose?)

One more question. Is everyone also assuming Nintendo's smartphone games will advertise their exclusive 3DS/Wii U SW/HW as well? I'd think that has to be part of the point of this.

Lunar15

I haven't really been able to find an answer to this question, so maybe someone more up to date with the situation can fill me in. Was it stated who would be developing the smartphone games? As in, is it Nintendo doing the actual developing, or is it DeNA making them with Nintendo IP being leveraged?

JoeM86

Okay, well, questions about this because it was a bit of a humdinger to wake up to.

Nintendo will be making smart device games for PC/mobile/tablet, right? It's safe to assume though that any games playable on PC will only be just versions of the mobile/tablet games. I think? Just kinda speculating here. So, if that's the case, I think it's relatively safe to assume any/all of these games will be touchscreen games and not use a traditional controller. Is that everyone here's impression, too? If so, I'm curious to see what kind of games are planned.

If the account system + smartphone games will launch in Fall 2015-ish, is it safe to assume we'll get info by E3 at the latest?

Also, do y'all expect any mobile/tablet Nintendo games would also be made available on the 3DS/Wii U eShops? (Or would that defeat the purpose?)

One more question. Is everyone also assuming Nintendo's smartphone games will advertise their exclusive 3DS/Wii U SW/HW as well? I'd think that has to be part of the point of this.
Mobile and tablet, yes. They're not making games for PC.

Interfectum

All I know is they're going to release some version of that fire emblem tcg on mobile and I'm going to to eat it up.

Speculation is that DeNa will develop mobile with some Nintendo IPs.

I think it's co-developing. Nintendo makes the game, DeNA handles the service, account and stats.

Celine

Edit: Also if this is successful it could allow Nintendo to push that cutting edge tech again and take the loss on the dedicated hardware side a little if the mobile side buffers them.
The reason Nintendo isn't concerned anymore with pure "horse power" spec is they believe there aren't a return worth of it.
It isn't for the lack of money (they have money in the bank).

Why do you assume they'll be 'litttle turd mobeygrab' games? Are Nintendo incapable of developing decent mobile games?

I mean...let's not pretend this isn't going to be about F2P microtransaction-filled puzzle games and shit like that (they already have those on the 3DS for crying out loud). THAT'S the stuff the investors are happy about.

Can those games be fun? Sure. But there's not much to them. Just the bare minimum needed to get people hooked and their wallets open.

Couple that with Iwata's own comments that they won't be bringing their traditional offerings to mobile and it paints a pretty clear picture.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Absolutely not, no.

If their dedicated platform fails and their smart device software takes off in a big way, the pressure on Nintendo to reallocate resources accordingly will be enormous.

Best case scenario for Nintendo is that both take off without cannibalizing one another, justifying continued investment on both fronts. But whether this is the most likely scenario is another matter.

geordiemp

Why do you assume they'll be 'litttle turd mobeygrab' games? Are Nintendo incapable of developing decent mobile games?

I agree, they said all their IPs are up for mobile, but not direct ports...

Some will interpret that as crap free to play versions of free running and puzzle games.

Some will interpret it as everything that can be played with a touchscreen will be changed / modded for the tablet freemium space.

All I know is Nintendo likes money, they got used to it with Wii, and want it back, I am leaning towards the latter, everything that is 'touch screen able' will find a way to the phone / tablet space. They would never say that until releasing such games, as not to potentially impact running down of some hardware inventory before the NX...

This is good for the game market, there is not really space for 3 console manufacturers going for the same space, everyone gets squeezed.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just look at this year's games. Mario Maker, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Mario vs. DK could very well be turned into mobile games. It's not like they are missing ideas. I could see also a F-Zero playing nicely on mobile with motion controls.

I dont know what to say to that F-Zero suggestion, holy shit that is the worst suggestion ever.

Anyways, sure, those could work, but by porting games like that, they would cannibalize their own hardware. They need something different, and I dont really know what.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So... while NX is obviously still happening, does anyone else get the sense that NCL is at least preparing for the possibility that it'll fail and will be their swan song in the dedicated gaming hardware business?

I mean, this seems to mark a pretty huge strategic shift. AFAIK, everything Iwata had said before today about "leveraging smart devices" was about using them to promote software on dedicated platforms, not about treating iOS/Android as revenue streams in their own right.

Its definitely the dipping of toes into that area. Not quite as extreme as Sega with Sonic Advance 1 on the GBA, but certainly the beginning of not being so tied to just their own consoles. Their console business would have to have an even more dramatic downturn next two generations to approach multi-platform though, or the smartphone stuff see's such an exponential growth it becomes impossible to tow the "best to keep making our own hardware" line.

bomblord1

Banned
If this deNA company was making so much banks, then I wonder why Sony sold their 13% stock on this mobile company

Probably the same reason they sold their entire laptop division and a major corporate building. They're leaking money like a Russian race horse using the bathroom and they're doing everything they can to make it back.

-Horizon-

I honestly don't care about this games on mobile anymore. As long as they find success and don't go third party/all in on mobile and abandon their own hardware, I'm ok.

SmokyDave

I mean...let's not pretend this isn't going to be about F2P microtransaction-filled puzzle games and shit like that (they already have those on the 3DS for crying out loud). THAT'S the stuff the investors are happy about.

Can those games be fun? Sure. But there's not much to them. Just the bare minimum needed to get people hooked and their wallets open.

Couple that with Iwata's own comments that they won't be bringing their traditional offerings to mobile and it paints a pretty clear picture.

I have absolutely no idea what they'll be developing, nor do I know which business model they'll choose. What I do know is that there are already great games on mobile, and if anyone can make an unconventional input method sing, it's Nintendo. They don't need to bring their traditional offerings, they're perfectly capable of breaking new ground.

Effect

The reason Nintendo isn't concerned anymore with pure "horse power" spec is they believe there aren't a return worth of it.
It isn't for the lack of money (they have money in the bank).

Just because the have the money in the bank doesn't mean they want to spend it. If they have the money and can afford to spend it and not have it negatively affect their reserves (which are being kept most likely for when a system does badly like the Wii U) why not spend it? I said could as that could be a possible outcome. Not that it would be an outcome. Just one the potential positives that could result.

Interesting stuff. I suspect most of these apps will tie-in with games on Nintendo's platforms in some way. That would be a smart way to leverage all these platforms and lure users to their proprietary platforms (e.g. "want to get the most out of this game? Buy a 3DS"). Basically they'll be doing something a little more to court smartphones users than just wave their IP in front of their faces, though even that is necessary in this age.

My hunch is that Nintendo's long-term strategy is to create a hardware-agnostic platform to launch and maintain games as a service. That would be where this new backend comes into play, and IMO this is where the industry in general is headed. They'd still have the control that they relish and thrive upon (and would never have if they ever simply went third-party) but users would be able to play games on the system of their choice. But that's obviously a very, very long way off. This would definitely be the first step in such a plan though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So... while NX is obviously still happening, does anyone else get the sense that NCL is at least preparing for the possibility that it'll fail and will be their swan song in the dedicated gaming hardware business?

I mean, this seems to mark a pretty huge strategic shift. AFAIK, everything Iwata had said before today about "leveraging smart devices" was about using them to promote software on dedicated platforms, not about treating iOS/Android as revenue streams in their own right.

It would be incredibly shortsighted for them not to start having this as a possible future method of survival.

CrazyDude

I'm guessing this is just a first step in Nintendo leaving the dedicated console business. If the mobile game portion of the business takes off, it will be hard to justify keeping the sinking dedicated hardware and games.

rjinaz

Nintendo mobile threads like these are much more enjoyable to read now:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=998831&highlight=nintendo+mobile
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775532&highlight=nintendo+mobile
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759035&highlight=nintendo+mobile&page=7
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515393&highlight=nintendo+mobile&page=6

Pretty sure Nintendo will carry on much the same way that is always has. Your console and handheld games will still be there. Anybody without bias could see this coming from a mile away. Mobile is where the money is at these days in gaming. I think this makes Nintendo healthier as a company.

Peltz

If their dedicated platform fails and their smart device software takes off in a big way, the pressure on Nintendo to reallocate resources accordingly will be enormous.

Best case scenario for Nintendo is that both take off without cannibalizing one another, justifying continued investment on both fronts. But whether this is the most likely scenario is another matter.

Of course. Depending on how things play out, this could be a really bad thing for those of us who love Nintendo hardware (like me).

I have such mixed feelings about this announcement. The NX announcement is exciting, but the DeNA aspect of the announcement makes worries me deeply.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I dont know what to say to that F-Zero suggestion, holy shit that is the worst suggestion ever.

Anyways, sure, those could work, but by porting games like that, they would cannibalize their own hardware. They need something different, and I dont really know what.

I wasn't talking about porting, I was talking about them being capable of making good games based on touch screen and motion, which they proved. And I'm not saying that we won't get the premium F-Zero experience on Wii U just because there is a spin-off on mobile. And spin-off doesn't necessarily mean a bad game (as HW already showed).

scitek

If Nintendo is developing these games internally won't this stretch their already extremely stretched resources? Nintendo can't even manage having a large number of in house games releasing both on the wiiU and 3DS at the same time how does adding mobile development help with this?

Nintendo has proven multiple times that third parties can churn out incredibly high quality games under their supervision. I imagine that'll be the case here.

Interfectum

When Nintendo games start charting in the top grossing iOS section of the store you know there will be massive changing happening internally. Seems inevitable to me.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Well my iPhone 6+ is ready..I guess. As long as this doesn't stop them from releasing another dedicated home console I'm ok with it.

Im very worried

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759035&highlight=nintendo+mobile&page=7
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515393&highlight=nintendo+mobile&page=6

Pretty sure Nintendo will carry on much the same way that is always has. Your console and handheld games will still be there. Anybody without bias could see this coming from a mile away. Mobile is where the money is at these days in gaming. I think this makes Nintendo healthier as a company.

How's the world supply of crow doing? Holy crap.

jcm

Not saying that, but the monetisation model on it and how the games are presented can't last. The mobile gaming industry, considering its installbase and amount of developers is doing pitifully, financially.

Something has to and will change in that regard

It's doing pitifully? By which metric?

Astral Dog

Everybody wanted Nintendo on smartphones, so here it is...
Seems like, a good business move, as long as they don't neglect their own platform too much.

scitek

Nintendo doesn't lose money on their hardware, though, so even a "failures" are still successful from a money-making standpoint. Just because they aren't the market leader doesn't mean shareholders will want it done away with.

Got a long way to go to reach the market highs of the Wii etc but I think the potential is even greater

screenshot_2015-03-17k9qqr.png

Will watch with great interest

Wish I'd bought some stock yesterday!

fuck i knew it i should have bought this stock, it was just a matter of time before they did this, since nintendo knew, there is hardware business is going down fast.

I don't see them supporting a home console, a portable console, and mobile. They proved this gen that supporting 2 machines has stretched them too thin with the WiiU and the 3DS and adding a third platform isn't going to make things easier.

I'm with many in the assumption that their next machine is some sort of portable-home hybrid as it allows their studios to be able to mainly focus on one machine and then frees up resources for some mobile development as well.

I have absolutely no idea what they'll be developing, nor do I know which business model they'll choose. What I do know is that there are already great games on mobile, and if anyone can make an unconventional input method sing, it's Nintendo. They don't need to bring their traditional offerings, they're perfectly capable of breaking new ground.

All I know is they'd better make an EBA sequel now.

Vlade

I doubt there are pc games in the works.
Judging from the statements last year (and no particular insight) I suspect we are talking about games released only on mobile that are branded with the main Nintendo IP.

I do wonder how this will all pan out. I'd like to know who in the mobile space they have been talking to...

Top Bottom