• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

geordiemp

19%!

well shit

Well, the markets and investors must believe Nintendo games are coming to mobile, not just skins of their mascots on existing mobile games...

Nintendo have a choice, they are entering the mobile market, they can do it aggressively with their best stuff, or just license skins out to others.....

Who thinks Nintendo will be half hearted ?

Nintendo mobile threads like these are much more enjoyable to read now:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=998831&highlight=nintendo+mobile
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775532&highlight=nintendo+mobile
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759035&highlight=nintendo+mobile&page=7
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515393&highlight=nintendo+mobile&page=6

Pretty sure Nintendo will carry on much the same way that is always has. Your console and handheld games will still be there. Anybody without bias could see this coming from a mile away. Mobile is where the money is at these days in gaming. I think this makes Nintendo healthier as a company.

Demos will likely not be playable demos. In depth trailers maybe. But not playable.
And the minigames will likely be unrelated.

looooool

#dead

BDGAME

DeNA games for smartphones :

linkfacesofevil610.jpg

Randomizer

Nintendo are so unpredictable I have no idea how this will work or how it will play out. Also blame Japanese gamers for this, smartphone gaming is ridiculously popular over there and then there is the huge decline in console sales. Nintendo really had no choice from a financial point of view.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Nintendo mobile threads like these are much more enjoyable to read now:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=998831&highlight=nintendo+mobile
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775532&highlight=nintendo+mobile
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759035&highlight=nintendo+mobile&page=7
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515393&highlight=nintendo+mobile&page=6

Pretty sure Nintendo will carry on much the same way that is always has. Your console and handheld games will still be there. Anybody without bias could see this coming from a mile away. Mobile is where the money is at these days in gaming. I think this makes Nintendo healthier as a company.
Damn, Crow on endangered species list stat.

maxcriden

Mobile and tablet, yes. They're not making games for PC.

Thank you. So it's all going to be touchscreen? Also, we're expecting games this Fall?

And, they won't also be available for current 3DS/Wii U platforms, most likely?

Also, Joe, how the heck are you taking this news? I know you staunchly believed this would not happen (and I was right there with you!).

chadboban

If this doesn't have an impact on the quality of their games on their dedicated gaming hardware, I'm okay with this. Also hope their account system really benefits from it.

Gino

Shit, I should have bought more stock. Made a couple thousand... could have been 10k if I bet big...

Stupid stocks and your tough decisions.

Astral Dog

I'm guessing this is just a first step in Nintendo leaving the dedicated console business. If the mobile game portion of the business takes off, it will be hard to justify keeping the sinking dedicated hardware and games.
How can they sustain themselves though?
Releasing games for PS4/5 XONE and PCs?
Mobile titles? that's just not going to be enough, for keeping their whole model sustainable,gladly it seems there is still a time before that happens.

scitek

Nintendo makes money on all of its hardware, so leaving that business would still be leaving money on the table. Given the fact that the mobile market has proven to be so fragile (just look at Zynga, for example), it would be foolish to invest solely into it, and I think they know that.

Calamari41

41 > 38

We don't know, but I would imagine that they'll be playable on whatever platforms Nintendo wants them to be playable on. If we're talking unified storefront/account system across tablets, phones, handhelds, and consoles, then games will probably have a list of things you can play them on. It wouldn't seem to hurt anything for Nintendo to make the games available on as many devices as can physically play them.

Celine

Just because the have the money in the bank doesn't mean they want to spend it. If they have the money and can afford to spend it and not have it negatively affect their reserves (which are being kept most likely for when a system does badly like the Wii U) why not spend it? I said could as that could be a possible outcome. Not that it would be an outcome. Just one the potential positives that could result.
Because "money to spend" isn't why the care less for spec now compared to the nineties.

JoeM86

It's doing pitifully? By which metric?

By mathematics. Take the revenue the industry generated. It was what, $20bn last fiscal year? Determine the amount of developers, amount of players etc.

It should be doing a lot better. Nintendo themselves generated ~25% of that alone last fiscal year. Pokémon from October 2013 to December 2015 generated 5% of that.

Of course, correct me if I'm wrong.

Are you absolutely sure, as you were before this conference that Nintendo would never make mobile games?

Yes :p
Thank you. So it's all going to be touchscreen? Also, we're expecting games this Fall?

Also, Joe, how the heck are you taking this news? I know you staunchly believed this would not happen (and I was right there with you!).

Grumpy acceptance. I'm not a fan of mobile gaming and don't like that this is happening, but Iwata's reassurance due to Nintendo NX has helped soften the blow.

Cyd0nia

Banned
How's the world supply of crow doing? Holy crap.

Ho ho and all that but who cares what people thought and said before today? Antagonistic trolls and dullards I'm guessing

Nobody saw this coming this soon and announced before e3. I'm surprised the news didn't bring down GAF tbh, perhaps another indicator of why Nintendo need this.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nintendo doesn't lose money on their hardware, though, so even a "failures" are still successful from a money-making standpoint. Just because they aren't the market leader doesn't mean shareholders will want it done away with.

If they feel there's an opportunity cost to supporting those 'failures' with software, that's where the pressure kicks in. 'Why are you investing in $$$ per NX project for $$$ return when you could invest $ in 3 projects on these other platforms and potentially make $$$+ and reach a wider audience?"

"If Nintendo is so successful already with DeNA co-developed smart games, why aren't you putting EAD on more smart device games of their own to further growth?"

etc. etc.

It really depends a lot on how the dedi platforms do, and how their software continues to do there.

If you want dedicated hw, the worst case scenario is that the smartphone business attracts the bulk of Nintendo's kid/family market, and strangles the dedi software of audience and revenue for most projects outside of a couple of stalwarts.

Best case scenario, I guess, would be a total failure of the smart device business and Nintendo turtling back to dedi-only sw.

Best case scenario for Nintendo as a company would be two healthy businesses running in parallel, and boosting each other.

Oswen

It was inevitable, new generations of kids are growing without knowing nintendo characters.

I think the new "bridge" console will be cheap and will allow to dowload mobile games in some form since that's what parents want nowadays: a tablet like thing able to dowload free games for their kids.

Griss

So... while NX is obviously still happening, does anyone else get the sense that NCL is at least preparing for the possibility that it'll fail and will be their swan song in the dedicated gaming hardware business?

I mean, this seems to mark a pretty huge strategic shift. AFAIK, everything Iwata had said before today about "leveraging smart devices" was about using them to promote software on dedicated platforms, not about treating iOS/Android as revenue streams in their own right.

Of course it is. Doesn't mean that they think that will happen, but it's clear after the Wii U disaster that they need to be prepared for that worst case scenario. Now, with QOL and mobile gaming, they should be adequately prepared.

The thing is that there appears to be three major groups of gamers spending lots of money at the moment, and Nintendo had to choose which ones to go after.

1. Hardcore console narrative gamers. These guys pay a large $60 entry fee to play AAA, huge-budget story based games like CoD, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Last of Us etc. They play mostly on PS4/XB1 and PC.
2. Hardcore competitive gamers on PC and Console. MOBAs, Sports games, FPS (Team Fortress, Battlefield etc), whatever. These guys will pay a lot of money (either as an entry fee or over time as skins) to play big-budget games where the objective is to win. These games are ludocentric. They play mostly on PC/PS4/XB1.
3. Casual mobile gamers. These guys spent small sums over large periods (typically F2P microtrans) on entirely ludocentric, low budget games without any narrative. These games often appeal to children and have cutesy characters. They play on iOS/Android.

Is it any surprise that Nintendo would decide that it's the 3rd set of people they need? And that therefore, they needed to go where those people are and go mobile? Making Nintendo games on mobile platforms is less of a shift for Nintendo than making hardcore competitive games or intrinsically narrative blockbusters would be.

If anything, this move allows them to preserve who they are while reaching a greater audience. The idea that they'd just keep riding smaller install bases on their home consoles into irrelevancy was always ludicrous. We had many articles saying so over the past 3 years, and for some reason they were always mocked and laughed at. Well, here we are.

maxcriden

I'm surprised how unsurprised I am

For some reason this feels like the natural next step after seeing the success of Amiibo

Good point. I was wondering why I feel so...unsurprised is really the best word for it. To me, this seems like a natural next step for Nintendo in taking advantage of the larger significant market out there for Nintendo games and products that is not currently part of the 3DS/Wii Userbase. If it means we keep getting traditional handheld/console Nintendo games and also Nintendo's take on smartphone games, I'm all for that, especially if it helps promote the core console and handheld.

(Is Nintendo internally developing these games or working with DeNA to make them?)

Verger

Banned
This to me sounds like Nintendo will be having DeNA make their mobile content and not themselves. So that at least doesn't entirely mean Nintendo's resources will be taken up by this.

Still wondering what this will mean for their handhelds.

I'm guessing this is just a first step in Nintendo leaving the dedicated console business. If the mobile game portion of the business takes off, it will be hard to justify keeping the sinking dedicated hardware and games.
The additional revenue this endeavor will likely net them will only give them MORE reason (and capital) to keep experimenting with dedicated gaming hardware. If they'll keep churning out superb software on a console that's pretty much dead in the water as they are right now, I don't see any reason for them to quit when they have even more money coming in. They are a business, yes, but they are also game developers who care about the games they make. They aren't suddenly going to stop caring because something else is making them lots of money, especially when there are limitations to that model that'll minimize what they can do with their games.

Schnozberry

For that news, a company name DeNA will create games using Nintendo's IPs for smartphones. This is very different than Nintendo itself making portable games.

Yeah, we really have no idea how many internal resources will be dedicated to this. It could just be quality control and project managers. I doubt Nintendo's top talent gets involved unless they have a big idea that only makes sense on mobile phones and tablets.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Iwata stated this, before announcing the codename for the next platform

While this is not something directly relating to the collaboration that we have announced today, here is one thing I would like to mention to avoid any misunderstandings.

Nintendo has decided to deploy its video game business on smart devices but it is not because we have lost passion or vision for the business of dedicated video game systems. On the contrary, now that we have decided how we will make use of smart devices, we have come to hold an even stronger passion and vision for the dedicated video game system business than ever before. Nintendo has made this decision because we have concluded that the approach of making use of smart devices is a rational way for us to encourage even more people around the world to recognize the great value of the wonderful game software available on our dedicated game systems.

Iwata always mentioned mobile as the way to lead more people to their platforms, by making them aware of their IPs. It seems, though, that the plans were far greater than we all imagined, on this front. I mean, games / apps in partnership with DeNA? Nintendo becoming the second biggest stock owner in DeNA? Membership service developed between them? That wasn't expected. In the end: "videogame lovers" business is still their core one, and mobile devices will serve as an extension / a way to bring possibly more people to their platforms. I mean, one of the first things they mentioned is that they WON'T port console games to mobile platforms. Without saying anything about the opposite, which means we could see mobile games going on Nintendo consoles. So, no, I don't think they are preparing for abandoning the console space, far from it.

While shocking, I'm sure Nintendo will keep enough control over every IP they have so its not whored out over and over.

Most Nintendo games, at least in my opinion, have had consistent quality. I'm sure that will go into their mobile games as well.

FryHole

So, how long until Nintendo goes full mobile?

Well their 'news in 2016, release in 201?' dedicated gaming system needs to come out and fail badly enough after a few attempts to kickstart its sales over a few years, and any other platforms that might release in the interim (assuming it's not their only system going forward) also need to fail, and then they need to decide if they want to take another shot at it, and of course the mobile market might have changed massively by then, so I'm going to say who the fuck knows?

Because it obviously not going to just be slightly forever. Nintendo is slowly leaving the dedicated console business just like most Japanese gaming companies.

And if they do move more towards mobile? I love Nintendo's offerings as much as the next person (I have a Wii U, so probably more so than the average bear), but Nintendo needs to stop utterly ignoring the direction the market is moving and needs to recognize that their current model isn't working and won't magically start working in the near future. Mobile isn't some flash in the pan. It hasn't been for the past 5 years, and if Nintendo continues to ignore it, sooner or later they will miss their opportunity and be left with a failing console model (unless they miraculously come up with another Wii) and no other revenue streams besides Amiibo. Why do you think they are trying QoL?

Interfectum

Nintendo Co developer Rare's games too. This only guarantee that DeNA will not create a complete crap. But things like Mario Baseball and Namco's Star Fox happens.

Not the same thing. Nintendo is making these games, DeNA is handling the technical side (online services, user logins, stats, etc).

Griss

I don't think it matters whether DeNA's teams or Nintendo's teams develop the games, for two reasons.

1. We've seen how Nintendo handles second party development or licensed third party development before. They're like hawks, and they have people monitoring and micromanaging development. This can be a pain in the ass (see the early days of Retro, or some early meetings with Next Level before the made Luigi's Mansion 2) but it produces great games that meet Nitnendo's standards.

2. The comment about not porting old games shows that Nintendo is aware that their trump card is their IP and the fact that they produce the highest quality games in the business (which is why their IP is so beloved). They are the luxury marque of gaming. They won't let external devs mess this up. They won't allow DeNA to release anything Miyamoto or Iwata wouldn't be happy with coming from one of their own studios.

Whether it's internal or external, it should be quality.

Usobuko

Banned
Of course it is. Doesn't mean that they think that will happen, but it's clear after the Wii U disaster that they need to be prepared for that worst case scenario. Now, with QOL and mobile gaming, they should be adequately prepared.

The thing is that there appears to be three major groups of gamers spending lots of money at the moment, and Nintendo had to choose which ones to go after.

1. Hardcore console narrative gamers. These guys pay a large $60 entry fee to play AAA, huge-budget story based games like CoD, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Last of Us etc. They play mostly on PS4/XB1 and PC.
2. Hardcore competitive gamers on PC and Console. MOBAs, Sports games, FPS (Team Fortress, Battlefield etc), whatever. These guys will pay a lot of money (either as an entry fee or over time as skins) to play big-budget games where the objective is to win. These games are ludocentric. They play mostly on PC/PS4/XB1.
3. Casual mobile gamers. These guys spent small sums over large periods (typically F2P microtrans) on entirely ludocentric, low budget games without any narrative. These games often appeal to children and have cutesy characters. They play on iOS/Android.

Is it any surprise that Nintendo would decide that it's the 3rd set of people they need? And that therefore, they needed to go where those people are and go mobile? Making Nintendo games on mobile platforms is less of a shift for Nintendo than making hardcore competitive games or intrinsically narrative blockbusters would be.

If anything, this move allows them to preserve who they are while reaching a greater audience. The idea that they'd just keep riding smaller install bases on their home consoles into irrelevancy was always ludicrous. We had many articles saying so over the past 3 years, and for some reason they were always mocked and laughed at. Well, here we are.

I love how you put into perspective in this post and yes this is the most sensible option for them.

dwells

I really hope that they have strict quality standards and that we wind up with decent stuff instead of awful microtransaction shovelware with a Mario skin on it.

Imagine a Mario Party with touch screen games inspired by Warioware with asynchronous online play. It could be absolutely amazing. Instead of the crappy free to play games my group chat plays now, we could be playing Mario Party during breaks at work.

Oh well, who am I kidding. Get ready for Clash of Marios, Yoshi of War, and Flappy Kirby.

I have absolutely no idea what they'll be developing, nor do I know which business model they'll choose. What I do know is that there are already great games on mobile, and if anyone can make an unconventional input method sing, it's Nintendo. They don't need to bring their traditional offerings, they're perfectly capable of breaking new ground.
This is my outlook.

Out of any of the largest manufacturers, Nintendo has always been the most likely to successfully transition to a different market.

They've been doing nontraditional inputs since the N64, and they haven't really fucked up since.

Hell their entire development structure almost seems tailor made to devices like this. Entire bite sized games designed around relatively simplistic ideas. Ideas that would have traditionally been a "minigame" in a full production Mario or Zelda, can now be full endeavors for mobile.

On another note. How fucking weird is it man, that you, the SmokyDave, are fully behind a Nintendo idea?

It's been a long time coming, but I don't really see the negatives that others do.

Top Bottom