• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

After reading the English slides, if there was any question that Nintendo is going to put all their franchises on mobile in a huge way...there is no question now. This is 100% the "Nintendo goes mobile" announcement. Holy shit.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well, for stupid minigames like Pokemon Shuffle or things like that it makes sense, but they are going to compete with their own handheld, unless they are going to abandon doing portable hardware.
One of the first slides showed that dedicated handheld games and mobile hands can coexist.

SparkTR

After reading the English slides, if there was any question that Nintendo is going to put all their franchises on mobile in a huge way...there is no question now. This is 100% the "Nintendo goes mobile" announcement. Holy shit.

Hoping for a Metroid Prime Pinball reboot.

I never thought nintendo/mobile gaming was a good thing for gamers i don't know why but this might be a really good future or a really crummy one.

Not really a mobile gaming fan.

First smart long term decision Nintendo's made in decades, one they should have made at least a couple of years ago.

:lol, Yeah, I'm sure the direction that led to the DS and Wii are definitely looked back upon as "stupid" decisions.

Eh, looks more like 50%. It looks like a lot of experimentation to me. I don't think you're going to see Mario Kart 9 on mobile. You'll probably see "Mario Kart Match 3" or something though.

weekev

Banned
Its been on the cards for a while with things like puzzles and dragons and pokemon shuffle.

Even experimenting with the free to play model with steel diver.

I just hope this is along side their console games business and doesnt end up instead of it.

Frankly i couldnt care less about mobile games unless they stop me getting top quality console games.

:lol, Yeah, I'm sure the direction that led to the DS and Wii are definitely looked back upon as "stupid" decisions.

Eh, looks more like 50%. It looks like a lot of experimentation to me. I don't think you're going to see Mario Kart 9 on mobile. You'll probably see "Mario Kart Match 3" or something though.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to say that their main "gamer" franchises will be built for mobile. Really the holy shit moment is that they are basically saying that a lot of their future includes mobile software as leverage. And pokemon...think of the possibilities.

mkvl

Neo Member
It really just seems Nintendo is openning another revenue stream through licensing. It is probably good for the future of their home console business because it doesn't look like any Nintendo development resources will shift to mobile.

duckroll

It really just seems Nintendo is openning another revenue stream through licensing. It is probably good for the future of their home console business because it doesn't look like any Nintendo development resources will shift to mobile.

It's not licensing. It's a full partnership with Nintendo developing new games for smart devices, and DeNA providing the online infrastructure and framework to support the services.

magnetic

Pokemon Shuffle being a fully f2p complete with stamina bullshit and "bags of jewels" nonsense shocked me a lot more, to be honest.

That game will race to the top of the charts, there's no doubt they will put it on mobile as soon as they can. They need to ride the Candy Crush train as long as the formula is still making boatloads of money, and having actual Pokemon in there is a fantastic way to make it recognizable in the sea of Crush clones.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to say that their main "gamer" franchises will be built for mobile. Really the holy shit moment is that they are basically saying that a lot of their future includes mobile software as leverage. And pokemon...think of the possibilities.

Yeah... they did just put that Pokemon Match 3 free on everyone's 3DS, I'd imagine we'll see a ton of that as well as their other Pokemon apps, a Pokedex thing, etc.

Nintendo has always been really innovative and clever with how their external information impacts their games... for instance Streetpass and such. Tying mobile into Streetpass-type functionality could have a huge impact alone, let alone mobile mini-games to raise/trade your Pokemon outside of the main Pokemon RPG on the dedicated device.

timshundo

I used to work for DeNA. I'm sad I missed the possible opportunity to work with Nintendo, something my 9 year old self would have never believed.

But that place was toxic (previously ngmoco) and I regret nothing. :)

Hahaha knew this would happen. Their console hardware market has gone down the drain and their handheld hardware market continues to decline. That does not paint a rosy picture in the future. Smart choice by Nintendo.

I think they should also put their older titles on mobile to maximise profits. Official release of Pokemon on mobile will make a lot of money.

Is JoeM86 okay? Is he breathing?!

tumblr_lnk9gljkoo1qafrh6.gif

FourMyle

All those years that so many gaffers spent vehemently denying any possibility of Nintendo having anything to do with mobile.

:( :( :(

fake edit: i see the next step of denial has already started. people are already downplaying the fuck out of this. lol

UberTag

As much as I like the idea of Nintendo IPs in the mobile space, I worry about them spreading themselves too thin between 3DS, New 3DS (exclusive titles if any other exist beyond Xenoblade Chronicles 3D), Wii U, the new NX successor platform and all of their prospective smartphone/tablet/browser games. Especially if they're consciously making an effort to keeping these spaces largely distinct which seems to be the case.

Will M

This is a smart/necessary move for their Japanese market. I'm just not sure if it helps their credibility in the west.

McLovin

I hope they keep the quality up. If it's a success I would love to see an official Nintendo smartphone wrap around controller. With d-pad, AB, and LR shoulder buttons.

Darmik

Nintendo and DeNA also plan to develop an online membership service that is accessible from smart devices, PC and Nintendo systems, such as the Nintendo 3DS portable system and the Wii U home console. The membership service, which is targeted to launch in the fall of 2015, will be built on DeNA's extensive experience and capabilities in online membership services.

This part has me really interested. I wonder what they have in mind here. What sort of services do DeNA offer?

Could be anything from a standard account system (which this seems overkill for), to a loyalty program or even something like Netflix with Nintendo games?

Hahaha knew this would happen. Their console hardware market has gone down the drain and their handheld hardware market continues to decline. That does not paint a rosy picture in the future. Smart choice by Nintendo.

I think they should also put their older titles on mobile to maximise profits. Official release of Pokemon on mobile will make a lot of money.
They're not porting games to mobile devices, only creating games suited for the platform.

Coen

Nintendo doesn't have the manpower to deliver a steady stream of games on two platforms, but here they are adding a third to their business. I can see them wanting to take a stab at the mobile market, but I figured they would just licensee out their properties instead of taking on the role of developer.

ffdgh

...The end is nigh!
This could go very well or horribly wrong.

I'll be honest and say I'll buy some mario 64 ds and Nsmb styled mini games.

mkvl

Neo Member
It's not licensing. It's a full partnership with Nintendo developing new games for smart devices, and DeNA providing the online infrastructure and framework to support the services.

Thanks, I didn't understood it like that. Well I'm curious to see the impact that this will have on the next handheld.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They already made the first steps towards mobile gaming, just look at the review scores of Codename S.T.E.A.M., Kirby and Mario Party 10.
/jk

Golnei

No they said WiiU and 3DS games won't be there.....what about GBA games etc. I think thats an easy way to make money.

They also mentioned that the same rules would apply to existing console games, which likely applies to both current and previous Nintendo platforms. Though that's just their current stance, obviously ported VC titles would be much more likely if NX crashes and burns and Nintendo shifts their focus wholly to mobile and QoL.

duckroll

No they said WiiU and 3DS games won't be there.....what about GBA games etc. I think thats an easy way to make money.

Nope. Iwata didn't say "WiiU" or "3DS". He said they will not port any:

"Please also note that, even if we use the same IP on our dedicated video game systems and smart devices, we will not port the titles for the former to the latter just as they are. There are significant differences in the controls, strengths and weaknesses between the controllers for dedicated game systems and the touchscreens of smart devices. We have no intention at all to port existing game titles for dedicated game platforms to smart devices because if we cannot provide our consumers with the best possible play experiences, it would just ruin the value of Nintendo’s IP."

UberTag

Ack. Ack ack ack. Mobile games do not satisfy me. Nintendo's current output does.

Being a niche fucking sucks sometimes.
Supporting a niche doesn't keep a big juggernaut like Nintendo afloat.
We're considered disposable now.
We should just accept our lot and life and embrace mainstream gaming trends.

Top Bottom