• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

Nope. Iwata didn't say "WiiU" or "3DS". He said they will not port any:

"Please also note that, even if we use the same IP on our dedicated video game systems and smart devices, we will not port the titles for the former to the latter just as they are. There are significant differences in the controls, strengths and weaknesses between the controllers for dedicated game systems and the touchscreens of smart devices. We have no intention at all to port existing game titles for dedicated game platforms to smart devices because if we cannot provide our consumers with the best possible play experiences, it would just ruin the value of Nintendo’s IP."

This is why I like Iwata so much. Nintendo has struggled in the past few years but he still gets it -- you don't want to water down the value of your IP. He has just been very slow to figure out how to transition to mobile without doing that. It delays the increased revenue from mobile for a few years...but again, I would say that anyone involved would view this move ONLY as a huge positive -- the first take off Mario or Pokemon MOBILE game might triple Nintendo's revenue in a matter of years.

"Please also note that, even if we use the same IP on our dedicated video game systems and smart devices, we will not port the titles for the former to the latter just as they are. There are significant differences in the controls, strengths and weaknesses between the controllers for dedicated game systems and the touchscreens of smart devices. We have no intention at all to port existing game titles for dedicated game platforms to smart devices because if we cannot provide our consumers with the best possible play experiences, it would just ruin the value of Nintendo’s IP."

Double nope. He said they won't port them "as they are". Doesnt rule out tweaking the game before releasing them.

Supporting a niche doesn't keep a big juggernaut like Nintendo afloat.
We're considered disposable now.
We should just accept our lot and life and embrace mainstream gaming trends.

I don't think I can huff enough paint to make "mainstream gaming trends" like mobile F2P fun without killing myself.

Cipherr

People who believe that this means full fledged Mario and Pokemon games on Smartphones are going to be disappointed.

Expect Minigames in the vain of Angry Birds, Candy Crush, etc. Something like Dr. Mario or Pullbox.

Edit: xD Yeah, of course, they will put all their big games on Steam. lol.

I dont think it matters. Looking across the internet, they seemed to have struck the perfect balance. Enough to sate people that want the whole Nintendo mobile thing so badly. This could work out splendidly for them, at least up until folks recognize the difference in the game types. But up until then, this should quiet things down quite a bit.

Double nope. He said they won't port them "as they are". Doesnt rule out tweaking the game before releasing them.

He did not qualify it with "As they are". He flat out said no ports period from console to mobile. Thats whats going to blow back on them. Once people realize that this doesnt mean Real Pokemon and Real Animal Crossing on their phones, I can see some negative stuff brewing a bit. But I don't think it will last. I think this does just enough to serve that itch for some folks.

UberTag

I don't think I can huff enough paint to make "mainstream gaming trends" like mobile F2P fun without killing myself.
Don't fret.

I'm sure when Nintendo starts releasing F2P mobile games and generating 10 times the revenue from those dumbed-down ventures as they do a dedicated game experience, that they'll still take the time to deliver those robust offerings we've come to know and love on dedicated Nintendo gaming platforms.

He did not qualify it with "As they are". He flat out said no ports period from console to mobile. Thats whats going to blow back on them. Once people realize that this doesnt mean Real Pokemon and Real Animal Crossing on their phones, I can see some negative stuff brewing a bit. But I don't think it will last. I think this does just enough to serve that itch for some folks.

The translated slides / transcript on the other thread had him saying that.

Oh wow.Thats a big opportunity missed. I often see people playing pokemon emulated on their phone. The game is perfect for mobile and the control scheme excuse is not valid at all. It might also get more people excited about the IP so when the new one drops on their NX hardware it may attract greater attention.

UberTag

So, no more portable hardware ?
Japan thrives on portable hardware.
The rest of the world thrives on console hardware.
Seems logical to assume that the NX will service both of those markets without fragmenting them needlessly and spreading Nintendo's resources too thin.

D7OAOTF.png

meanspartan

Mobile "gaming" is a cancer. Sure, there are some bright spots, but for every HitmanGO there are a dozen shit games or money grubbing PAYorWAIT apps that shouldn't even be called games.

This is a dark fucking day for gaming, although I hate to admit, a good one for Nintendo investors.

Cipherr

The translated slides / transcript on the other thread had him saying that.

Then it must be cut off. The entire statement as he said it was very clear:

Then later:

"Only new original games optimized for smart device functionality will be created."

You have to really chop the quotes up and ignore others to see it otherwise. They were pretty clear about it.

Oh wow.Thats a big opportunity missed. I often see people playing pokemon emulated on their phone. The game is perfect for mobile and the control scheme excuse is not valid at all. It might also get more people excited about the IP so when the new one drops on their NX hardware it may attract greater attention.

You've got to be joking -- it's not an opportunity missed at all. Nintendo isn't going to flush all the money dedicated handheld Pokemon's generate for them.

Those emulated pokemons on phones that you're seeing... how much did people pay for them? It sure as hell wasn't $30-$40 a pop, and that's not even counting the people that buy both.

The big opportunity is the one Nintendo is grasping -- making game types suited to mobile using their IPs to keep them front of mind, and using that to push people upward to their dedicated hardware and software experiences.

Celine

As part of the long-term relationship and commitment by each company, Nintendo and DeNA have also agreed to form a capital alliance. Under the capital alliance, Nintendo will acquire 15,081,000 of DeNA's treasury shares, which corresponds to 10.00 percent of its total outstanding stock, for a total of approximately 22 billion yen. DeNA will simultaneously acquire 1,759,400 of Nintendo's treasury shares, which corresponds to 1.24 percent of its outstanding stock, for a total of approximately 22 billion yen. The payment is due April 2, 2015.
That's interesting.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Nintendo is the worst of all companies to go mobile, since their games are so mechanics-driven, and that is very hard to replicate on mobile. Cinematic stuff like for instance, would be much more at home at mobile, since you doesnt really need any precision to do anything in Uncharted and games like that, but with Nintendo there is just no way they will be able to retain what makes their games so great.

Anyways, really hope this backfires for them and they continue to make dedicated hardware and games for them.

Cody_D165

Banned
i dont even care anymore

this hobby is getting so silly nowadays I don't think any announcement will shock me at this point

if anyone needs me I'll be off playing my SNES on a bigass CRT with my smartphone powered the fuck off

HowZatOZ

Banned
So much information, oh god the overload. I really hope they are cautious with this and not just going head on to appease investors and armchair enthusiasts who shout from the high heavens Nintendo's death. I'm keen for something that utilises Nintendo's IPs in various mobile centric ways, like a Pokedex or something. Just don't ruin the core experiences that clearly work on handheld or home console.

You've got to be joking -- it's not an opportunity missed at all. Nintendo isn't going to flush all the money dedicated handheld Pokemon's generate for them.

Those emulated pokemons on phones that you're seeing... how much did people pay for them? It sure as hell wasn't $30-$40 a pop, and that's not even counting the people that buy both.

The big opportunity is the one Nintendo is grasping -- making game types suited to mobile using their IPs to keep them front of mind, and using that to push people upward to their dedicated hardware and software experiences.

That sounds good in theory.

In practice they'll make more money on mobile, Minecraft style and not bother.

FZZ

Banned
Does anyone else think they should've partnered with Gungho?

I don't see the appeal of DeNA, is there something special about them?

So much information, oh god the overload. I really hope they are cautious with this and not just going head on to appease investors and armchair enthusiasts who shout from the high heavens Nintendo's death. I'm keen for something that utilises Nintendo's IPs in various mobile centric ways, like a Pokedex or something. Just don't ruin the core experiences that clearly work on handheld or home console.

They've stayed out of the market for years. If anything, they have been very cautious.

What is most interesting to me is the thought that it may have actually benefited them -- all the spinoffs and other worthless bullshit have been built and their ships have sailed. Now its time for the giant to enter the ring...

UberTag

That's going to be the biggest challenge in all of this. How do you bridge the gap between a mobile gamer that's only interested in endless runners, tower defense, match-3 titles and other simplistic gameplay and drive them towards a dedicated Nintendo gaming experience? Because I don't believe an overlap in IP is enough to act as a trojan horse.

And the worry that people will have coming out of today is that if Nintendo attempts this and the mobile games developed using their IP generate an exorbitant amount of revenue compared with the dedicated game offerings they're intending to "push people upward to" that they may just give up the ghost and double down on mobile.

That sounds good in theory.

In practice they'll make more money on mobile, Minecraft style and not bother.

In practice the numbers Nintendo pulls by themselves on dedicated hardware dwarfs general mobile revenues. Furthermore they don't have to eat into profits with constant high-level advertising that is needed to sustain games like Clash of Clans. Nintendo's games on handheld are a huge cash cow, they sell for long periods of time, and the cost of acquisition per user isn't a problem.

What they are likely to "not bother" with, to an even greater degree, are their more niche titles like F-Zero or Advance Wars.

That's going to be the biggest challenge in all of this. How do you bridge the gap between a mobile gamer that's only interested in endless runners, tower defense, match-3 titles and other simplistic gameplay and drive them towards a dedicated Nintendo gaming experience? Because I don't believe an overlap in IP is enough to act as a trojan horse.

And the worry that people will have coming out of today is that if Nintendo attempts this and the mobile games developed using their IP generate an exorbitant amount of revenue compared with the dedicated game offerings they're intending to "push people upward to" that they may just give up the ghost and double down on mobile.

Mobile is still incredibly risky. Since Nintendo doesn't have to rely on it to keep their business afloat, I think it affords them the ability to experiment and not be forced into the constant cycle of user-acquisitions that mobile games typically have to have since they rely on whales to survive. Mobile is very big but it's not very healthy for most companies. Mobile is incredibly risky, largely because gameplay means incredibly little, and branding/awareness is key. You can't differentiate on gameplay because (a) the audience isn't savvy enough to know the difference and (b) a lot of the popular games are functionally identical. Therefore, Nintendo is betting on their branding being able to beat most others, and it's a pretty good bet considering Mario and Pokemon are two of the biggest brands in the world.

I don't know how dedicated Nintendo is going to be to the push upwards -- but if people are willing to spend hundreds on microtransactions, there might be room for them to get a dedicated handheld that, in their mind, supplements their mobile experience, as opposed to the way we would typically think of it where mobile has to be the "lesser" item.

It's a really exciting space and I think there's a lot of opportunity there, but we'll have to see how Nintendo approaches it.

NIGHT-

i dont even care anymore

this hobby is getting so silly nowadays I don't think any announcement will shock me at this point

if anyone needs me I'll be off playing my SNES on a bigass CRT with my smartphone powered the fuck off

Yup. I'm so glad I keep all my old games and consoles

starmud

Admitting they can't handle a build out of the online system and delivery is a good thing. Analytics is also important when operating apps and not wasting investment.

All in all they said a lot of good things about where they see this going, but we're also early.

Either way the direction here is clear, the software coming is to upsell and expose people to Nintendo. Expecting a full animal crossing experience isn't going to happen at this point, but a companion app or mini games...

In practice the numbers Nintendo pulls by themselves on dedicated hardware dwarfs general mobile revenues.

So you say, but this is missing the crucial data point of actually having Nintendo's games on mobile.

Once people have a choice, there will only be one winner.

Does anyone else think they should've partnered with Gungho?

I don't see the appeal of DeNA, is there something special about them?

Iwata said that unlike other companies that approached Nintendo, DeNA were happy to not have a very visible role and focus more on the backend.

Other than that, I'm not sure.

Morokh

One can only hope they'll draw a clear line between their mobile offering and their handheld one, and people really see the difference in value, or find a genuine good way to make the two co-exist, otherwise there is trouble ahead.

SparkTR

That's what I'm worried about, before Nintendo didn't really have a way to expend to markets other than their core console fanbase. Now I'm wondering how long it'll take them to consider their smartphone customers as core, I guess it depends on how badly their next hardware platform sells.

Top Bottom