• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Plans 'Smooth Transition' from Switch to Next Console by Using Players' Nintendo Accounts

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Not that it surprises anyone but that pretty much confirms backwards compatibility.
Also, at least, the reveal of the next hardware

But you know what? GBC to GBA was simple and effective as fuck. Do the same and you gonna print money like hell

Fuck me, they're gonna pull a Switch U!

0UCLC1U.png

Hudo

Actually, I am kinda surprised that Furukawa said "next geeneration machine" so openly. Usually, Nintendo is vague as fuck about next hardware so to not jeopardize current hardware sales. Furukawa is pretty "open" about this, huh.

Edit: Furukawa not Furokawa. Gomen ne, Shachō!

Last edited:

Hudo

I wonder if they keep the Switch brand for the next system to leverage the popularity or if they gonna go with a new name entirely, like Nintendo Up! or something.

Davevil

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel trapped in this generation of consoles that I can't wait for the announcement of the new ones

SCB3

I wonder if they keep the Switch brand for the next system to leverage the popularity or if they gonna go with a new name entirely, like Nintendo Up! or something.
Have they learnt nothing from the Wii U?

However I will say, its a different audience for the Switch than the Wii was so it may do better, games being better would be also be an advantage compared to the Wii U

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Not that it surprises anyone but that pretty much confirms backwards compatibility.
This is a nice thought and the ideal way to think of it. But transferring an account does not mean your content will transfer. You are probably only guaranteed the Nintendo Online stuff. If Mario Kart transfers, why would they sell you another one. And they want to sell a lot more Mario Karts.

JCK75

I really hope Nintendo learns something from Sony/MS
Like I have my account on 3 MS consoles and 2 Sony consoles (between myself and my son and he has my old One X at his moms house) and it's so seamless that you can just install and play games on all of them
with no headaches..

It's really the minimum amount of effort I ask of Nintendo going forward to be at least that flexible.

Like I've been a Nintendo fanatic most of my life but they have really been losing my interest over time.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Sure Jan
Fingers crossed this actually works but I'm not hopefully. If it does work then you know Nintendos been fucking you for years with their no cross gen support.

Gambit2483

Now that Valve has entered the market I can't see Nintendo going back to a TV only platform. Especially not in Japan where portability is King.

I could see them announcing it later this year and releasing in early 2024.

Sounds promising. I mean everyone wants a Switch 2, a more powerful, improved version of the current model; I don't think anyone wants Nintendo to drop the Switch and make something completely new as it means starting your games library from scratch again.

Personally, all I want from Switch 2 is a 1080p OLED screen, improved battery life and a dock with a hardware upscaler (even support for DLSS) that can display the games upscaled with decent image quality on a 4K TV. Switch games looks absolutely terrible on my 55" LG B9 OLED which is why I typically avoid playing them that way and stick with handheld only, though only for 2-3 hours sessions as the battery life is quite poor on the current Switch OLED.

My biggest gripe with Nintendo though is how far they are behind everyone else in terms of graphics technology... most of their games don't even have anisotropic filtering or anti-aliasing. Would be nice to see them adopt those as standard for the Switch 2; they have been around for over 30 years after all!!!

Last edited:
Yeh I can see them calling it super switch, and keep selling the current switch at 249, and super switch at 349. I just hope the power difference is big and not just a switch pro upgrade.

Kabelly

Iwata was saying that since Project NX was announced, I don't get why people act like this is news, they've also talked about it repeatedly since. Literally the reason why the made the account system.
Again, there is always a cloud of doubt with Nintendo.

We're talking about a company that loves reselling their games to us. Having all that transfer over to the successor sounds too good to be true with them.

I do know about them saying they were inspired by the mobile system.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Hard disagree. Announcing backwards compatibility confirms backwards compatibility. This is corporate fluff as far as I am concerned.

Considering the Pokémon leaker mentioned a graphics patch for the new hardware, that also leans towards the possibility of BC.

I'm guessing it will continue the cart format but will probably use a single custom sdhc based tech cart that is 128GB to help with ever increasing file sizes (from 3rd party)

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Well See Season 6 GIF by The Office

Nintendo says a lot of things.. Smooth is definitely not a word I’d ever use when going from one system to the next, especially in the ‘online-era’.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong, but big grain of salt on this one for me.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Well See Season 6 GIF by The Office

Nintendo says a lot of things.. Smooth is definitely not a word I’d ever use when going from one system to the next, especially in the ‘online-era’.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong, but big grain of salt on this one for me.
if its as smooth as moving from one switch to another than that statement is completely accurate.

Before the switch, transferring nintendo accounts from 3ds to 3ds was an absolute nightmare

winjer

Gold Member
Considering the huge amount of Switch owners, they really have to make it a smooth transition, to entice consumers to remain Nintendo customers.

Top Bottom