• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Plans 'Smooth Transition' from Switch to Next Console by Using Players' Nintendo Accounts

Gambit2483

Hybrid is the way forward for them, but Japan and Valve have nothing to do with it.
Valve is not a threat now, but if they left that market to Valve all on their own for several (5 or more) years that could change in certain regional markets.

Also Japan definitely plays a part in their push for the handheld market considering a sizeable portion of their 1st and 3rd party games are developed, published and sold in that market

Last edited:

BlackTron

So, would this be the first time accounts for Nintendo systems would transfer from one gen to another, instead of starting over? If so, that's definitely a good thing, though strange it took this long to do so.

It took as long as it took to switch to a subscription model for old games.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Again, there is always a cloud of doubt with Nintendo.

We're talking about a company that loves reselling their games to us. Having all that transfer over to the successor sounds too good to be true with them.

I do know about them saying they were inspired by the mobile system.
They've said why they want BC and it seems to make more sense to them since reselling VC games played against them.

They've said multiple times their account system is for making future hardware transitions smooth, they've said they didn't want to start building an audience all over again when a new hardware generation comes out because it gets harder for it to get an installed base

I mean, they've been pretty clear and specific in their motivations even before Switch released and it was just Project NX, I think people shouldn't fear not having BC.

But I get it, media loses their memory in order to sell news, so people think all the time it's news, actually these same news has been posted like twice last year alone.

RickMasters

If this means BC support that will be awesome. c'mon, nintendo!
Prayer GIF

Gallard

"Super Switch" would be a terrible name. It's good for one generation. But what happens when you get to the 3rd generation and beyond?

"Super Duper Switch"?
"Super Duper Ultra Switch"?

Take a page from Sony and Apple, and just use numbers. "Switch 2", "Switch 3", etc. Consumers understand that.

Look at Microsoft for what happens when you avoid numbers. You've got Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox 1, Xbox Series... They're adrift and probably spend several extra millions on marketing every generation to make sure customers aren't confused. Just stick with numbers. It works.

Neff

So, would this be the first time accounts for Nintendo systems would transfer from one gen to another, instead of starting over? If so, that's definitely a good thing, though strange it took this long to do so.

Not exactly. Wii U/3DS/Switch purchases can be made under the same account, and both 3DS and Switch could import player settings, Miis and friends from Wii U.

Tams

This sounds like BC might be for digital purchases only.

Hopefully they also have a solution for those of us with physical games as well.

Well, considering they can verify that you've purchased a game card for the purpose of Nintendo points, I'd guess the ability is there to do that. Though at best that would give you access to a digital copy on the next platform.

Achievements/trophies for the new console please, they could even use the Mario 1up sound effect for the unlock.

Of course, also have the ability to hide/turn them off for people who don’t like that sort of thing

NeonDelta

"Super Switch" would be a terrible name. It's good for one generation. But what happens when you get to the 3rd generation and beyond?

"Super Duper Switch"?
"Super Duper Ultra Switch"?

Take a page from Sony and Apple, and just use numbers. "Switch 2", "Switch 3", etc. Consumers understand that.

Look at Microsoft for what happens when you avoid numbers. You've got Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox 1, Xbox Series... They're adrift and probably spend several extra millions on marketing every generation to make sure customers aren't confused. Just stick with numbers. It works.
I want it to be called the Nintendo Switcheroo

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, considering they can verify that you've purchased a game card for the purpose of Nintendo points, I'd guess the ability is there to do that. Though at best that would give you access to a digital copy on the next platform.

Does that register that specific copy of the game though, or can the same copy be registered by several people?

Soodanim

Gold Member
They can't deny you keeping copies of NES/SNES games between generations if they don't let you buy them in the first place

Think About It GIF by Identity

Problem solved, thanks for streaming only Nintendo

EruditeHobo

"... by using the Nintendo account..."

Think this should be worrisome to some just expecting a Switch 2.0, because who the fuck knows what Nintendo is thinking when it comes to these kinds of transitions? Switch 2.0 should be a no-brainer, but... it's Nintendo.

It took as long as it took to switch to a subscription model for old games.

Haven't we been able to play PS3 games on 3 different consoles now? Using our PSN accounts?

BlackTron

Haven't we been able to play PS3 games on 3 different consoles now? Using our PSN accounts?
Um, I meant it took as long as it took to switch to a subscription model for old games for Nintendo.

And yes, these events are extremely correlated. If Nintendo had given us a persistent account system along with Virtual Console, it would mean we could finally stop paying for Super Mario World. So they took away the option to buy it at the same time we got the accounts.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was able to migrate my account/data from my launch Switch to my OLED Switch - it was a pretty smooth process.

I hope the move from OLED Switch to Switch 2 is just as smooth (meaning, all my games still work, previous purchases are intact, etc.)

Wooxsvan

goes along perfectly with their other recent statement that they are going to produce as many units as possible of their next hardware. i bet this thing prints money.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Again, there is always a cloud of doubt with Nintendo.

We're talking about a company that loves reselling their games to us. Having all that transfer over to the successor sounds too good to be true with them.

I do know about them saying they were inspired by the mobile system.
We're also talking about the company with best BC support ever. Literally every handheld console they released got BC with Wii and Wii U were BC with previous gen too. Hacked Wii U could even play GC games natively.

Nintendo is not strange to BC pals, the only times they ditched BC were because they were more 2 or more gens behind or because of technical limitations (like going from cartridge to discs and viceversa).

Edit: WTF an old notification prompt and I replied twice to same post lol, sry.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to VGC sources, the company has dispatched Switch 2 development kits to key partners, with a launch planned for the second half of 2024.

The platform holder also showed off tech demos for its Nintendo Switch successor behind closed doors at Gamescom in August, it’s understood.

Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser refused to comment on these reports during an Inverse interview published on Friday, in which he was also asked how the company might help Switch owners move to its next platform by allowing them to take some of their previously purchased content with them.

“Well, first I can’t comment — or I won’t comment, I should say — on the rumors that are out there,” Bowser said. “But one thing we’ve done with the Switch to help with that communication and transition is the formation of the Nintendo Account.

“In the past, every device we transitioned to had a whole new account system. Creating the Nintendo Account will allow us to communicate with our players if and when we make a transition to a new platform, to help ease that process or transition.

“Our goal is to minimize the dip you typically see in the last year of one cycle and the beginning of another,” he continued. “I can’t speak to the possible features of a new platform, but the Nintendo Account is a strong basis for having that communication as we make the transition.”

Marvel14

Banned
Charge us $5-$10 to upres each of our owned Switch titles and you'll be raking in hundreds extra with each transition to the new gen.

Top Bottom