• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo says Switch performance is not an issue, but they continue to work with developers to make things easier

LakeOf9

Nintendo, just because you could somehow make TOTK on the Switch does not mean other developers have the means or even the capability to do something like that. The issue with Switch is not what Nintendo can do with it but whether or not third parties will continue to accommodate it. I think we are at the point were Nintendo needs to look at putting out a Switch update.

mrcroket

yeah with fancy 20 to 30fps gameplay with migraine inducing visuals on a tv
A much more stable framerate than jedi survivor, which runs on hardware that is more than 20 times more powerful, and at lower resolution.

What is failing today are the developers, and we must take into account that the switch is at the end of its useful life, but if good games are not made it is not because of technical limits (including the case of the switch).

Robb

Gold Member
Nintendo says the Switch’s performance is not lacking
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

If you have a low bar maybe. TotK runs at a fluctuating 30fps.. Bayonetta 3 runs but looks awful at times just because they have to use dynamic resolutions... The most recent Pokemon runs like poop…. etc. etc.

I agree devs should be better at working around limitations, but there has to be some reasonable limit. Can’t expect people to burn cash on ports that’ll take a lot of time to just make work because the system is so much weaker than the current industry standard.

Last edited:

damidu

A much more stable framerate than jedi survivor, which runs on hardware that is more than 20 times more powerful, and at lower resolution.

What is failing today are the developers, and we must take into account that the switch is at the end of its useful life, but if good games are not made it is not because of technical limits (including the case of the switch).
i mean totk is probably developed by best of the best nintendo has, with no time constraints.
still ends up showing gross limitations of the hardware they are working on.
let it die already.

Tsaki

Yes the hardware is low tier. They wouldn't talk shit about their own console. When 1st party give positive opinions about their own creations, they should be disregarded completely. They'll have new tech coming next year though.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don’t think anyone will call Nintendo games trash unless all they care about is graphics and performance

In terms of actual game design things like TOTK and Metroid prime run circles around other games
As in realistic graphics you mean? Because Nintendo graphics tend to be top notch for many of us, considering we care more about art than raw pixels, and tend to run way better than anyone else's. I remember when people were so used to 25 fps on ps360 that many couldn't believe Mario Kart 8 was 60 fps let alone solid. Same for other Wii U games at the time.

People criticizing Nintendo for it's hardware are using their own criteria just to have something to shit on, but why stop there and not compare their toys to PC? Always leaving PC out of the equation, lol

If you just give Leonardo da Vinci three colours he would create a masterpiece, for the other 99.9% of the population, not so much. This goes for developers. The Switch is not powerful enough for modern unoptimised game engines that require 16 gigs of ram to produce textures no better than Kameo. You are seeing the result of this with the PS5/Series X. Even the Switch 2, if rumours are true will not be powerful enough. Just imagine what Nintendo could do with hardware equivalent to the PS4.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Designing games from the ground up for a system is one thing, but many people want to also play modern games from the other systems as well.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
No offense but nintendo should fuck off with this narrative in 2023.

And of course you have people defending this stance:lollipop_squinting:
To be honest when you see games like Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Minecraft... making bank, it should be enough to remind us that not all games needs to be cutting edge. I love Sony games like TLOU and GOW, but Nintendo simply does not want to make those kind of games. And they are in the business since basically the beginning. I stopped playing their titles because Sony gave me more of what I wanted, but Nintendo does have their good points too. I would love for them to invest in a great powerful console for the Switch 2. But they have proved many times that it is not necessary to have success.

GymWolf

To be honest when you see games like Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Minecraft... making bank, it should be enough to remind us that not all games needs to be cutting edge. I love Sony games like TLOU and GOW, but Nintendo simply does not want to make those kind of games. And they are in the business since basically the beginning. I stopped playing their titles because Sony gave me more of what I wanted, but Nintendo does have their good points too. I would love for them to invest in a great powerful console for the Switch 2. But they have proved many times that it is not necessary to have success.
That's not really the problem, sony also does games for non-gamers like stray and shit.

The problem is when your big games can't even have stable 30 fps and run at 2010 era resolution on my 4k oled tv.

Running around with the 4 companions in tokt was a 20 frame affair if there was anything else on screen, i had to actively shut them down to have an almost decent framerate, and when you have to actively shut down big feature of a game to have a decent framerate, there is no bullshit narrative about not having performance issues, let's not even talk about the slowdowns during combat, with big explosions, during thunderstorms, while using ultrahand etc.

I know some people can't notice framerate slowdowns (or fake to not notice them), hell a lot of dudes here didn't noticed the gigantic slowdowns in returnal on ps5 during combat, but a lot of us do notice when a game doesn't have a stable framerate.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
The problem is when your big games can't even have stable 30 fps and run at 2010 era resolution on my 4k oled tv.
That’s the one thing I feel you’ve always been able to count on from Nintendo. Games in the past might have been 30fps, but at least they’ve been stable. They’ve always known how to really cram the most out of their systems.

When Nintendo’s own tent-pole titles don’t even manage to run stable you can definitely tell we’re overdue for an upgrade.

GymWolf

That’s the one thing I feel you’ve always been able to count on from Nintendo. Games in the past might have been 30fps, but at least they’ve been stable. They’ve always known how to really cram the most out of their systems.

When Nintendo’s own tent-pole titles don’t even manage to run stable you can definitely tell we’re overdue for an upgrade.
If we consider that botw in 2017 already had far from a locked framerate, the upgrade is megasuperultrauber overdue to say the least.

Robb

Gold Member
If we consider that botw in 2017 already had far from a locked framerate, the upgrade is megasuperultrauber overdue to say the least.
Yeah you’d think they’d be able to get the sequel to run at a rock solid framerate having 6+ years of experience with the “new” system.

GymWolf

Yeah you’d think they’d be able to get the sequel to run at a rock solid framerate having 6+ years of experience with the “new” system.
It was never gonna happen when the game has like 10x times the amount of physics based systems compared to botw and even more stuff on screen in the big scenes.

Optimization can only go that far.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
This is not really defendable, so yes in this case more performance would be good. But I see that more like the game is too ambitions for the hardware than the proof that the hardware is lacking( we know that the Switch is really behind by the way, this is not the question). What I mean by that is that games like Shadow of the Colossus wanted to do things that the hardware that they were on was not capable of doing, with clear problems. If the Switch was twice as powerful as what it is now, TOTK would still have those problems in my opinion, because Nintendo would push the console to the max. Once again, I would love for Nintendo to have a more powerful console, one that can have a certain form of parity with the PS5/ Series X like the Series S is. But they stopped doing this since the Gamecube. Maybe this time will be different, who knows?

GymWolf

This is not really defendable, so yes in this case more performance would be good. But I see that more like the game is too ambitions for the hardware than the proof that the hardware is lacking( we know that the Switch is really behind by the way, this is not the question). What I mean by that is that games like Shadow of the Colossus wanted to do things that the hardware that they were on was not capable of doing, with clear problems. If the Switch was twice as powerful as what it is now, TOTK would still have those problems in my opinion, because Nintendo would push the console to the max. Once again, I would love for Nintendo to have a more powerful console, one that can have a certain form of parity with the PS5/ Series X like the Series S is. But they stopped doing this since the Gamecube. Maybe this time will be different, who knows?
I mean, it's their job to make games that can run decently on their console, i'm sure that any dev of any studio can put more enemies and effects and npcs on screen and fuck up the framerate, knowing the limit of your machines is also part of the work.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I mean, it's their job to make games that can run decently on their console, i'm sure that any dev of any studio can put more enemies and effects and npcs on screen and fuck up the framerate, knowing the limit of your machines is also part of the work.
And with this we go to what kind of games those studios want to make. I love the Souls series and don't mind the framerate of those games as this is not what I want from them. It would make the games better, yes, and Demon's Souls Remastered shows what a Souls game with emphasis on graphics can be really beautiful. But not the point. Shadow of the Colossus is another great example, and the remake was great 10 years later too. TOTK will probably have a remaster one day. Would you prefer to wait until it happen to have it in a "perfect" state, or play it now and do it again(maybe) in the future? And yes, it could have been better. A game can always be better.

Interfectum

Nintendo can't push it much further as the big GaaS games are even struggling to run on it. Rocket League and Fortnite are rough on the system.

GymWolf

And with this we go to what kind of games those studios want to make. I love the Souls series and don't mind the framerate of those games as this is not what I want from them. It would make the games better, yes, and Demon's Souls Remastered shows what a Souls game with emphasis on graphics can be really beautiful. But not the point. Shadow of the Colossus is another great example, and the remake was great 10 years later too. TOTK will probably have a remaster one day. Would you prefer to wait until it happen to have it in a "perfect" state, or play it now and do it again(maybe) in the future? And yes, it could have been better. A game can always be better.
It is a complicated discussion and there is not a real correct choice.

Of course i play games that i like on release date without waiting for a remake, but Tokt should have been released on switch 2 when they realized that botw already stressed the switch too much.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
It is a complicated discussion and there is no a real correct choice.

Of course i play games that i like on release date without waiting for a remake, but Tokt should have been released on switch 2 when they realized that botw already stressed the switch too much.
I think that if they could they would have done so. But the Switch have enough sales potential left that they choose to put TOTK on it and not to wait 1 more year. And I would want a Switch 2 as soon as possible too. As you have said it's complicated.

GymWolf

I think that if they could they would have done so. But the Switch have enough sales potential left that they choose to put TOTK on it and not to wait 1 more year. And I would want a Switch 2 as soon as possible too. As you have said it's complicated.
They could have make the game crossgen, so this version on switch and a 1080p60 frame on switch 2 like they did with botw and wiiu\switch.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The only way I can enjoy Switch games is to play them on Yuzu. I cannot enjoy 720p/900p graphics on my 65 inch C1 OLED.

Tears of the Kingdom is currently running at 4K/60 with some drops on my PC right now. That is currently the only way I can find any enjoyment for Nintendo games.

There is no reason Nintendo cannot release a console capable of playing their games at 4K/60 fps.

PS4-level power isn't terrible IF there is a decent CPU that can handle high framerates.

Last edited:

radewagon

That is developers problem, not switch or nintendo.
Well, a developer problem can become a Nintendo problem. If third parties don't feel that their future games are scalable enough to reach a specific console's lower specs, then their only options will be to develop a version for just that one console or simply not release one at all. This kind of worked for the Wii because the hugely successful PS2 was still around and, somehow, still releasing games. So, a Wii specific version would also come out for the PS2 (like the super expensive Shattered Dimensions for example). With Switch, though, there's really only the Switch in that category. This is probably why things like Tomb Raider and Assassins' Creed have basically abandoned the system. Only their older games are being ported.

Granted, none of this is really a problem for the Switch as it is already hugely popular, but if the Switch 2 (that should 100% be the name) doesn't match parity with at least the Series S, it could have a quite the uphill battle on its hands.

Top Bottom