• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Leak: Custom SoC to feature Ray reconstruction, DLSS 3.5, 2 skus (all digital and physical)

daxgame

If you buy an all digital Nintendo console, you deserve what's coming your way.

No price drops, no sales, just have the lube out for $69.99 games even if they are years old. The SKU is a honeypot.
????
There's plenty of sales on the eShop, Nintendo titles included
(I'm still not interested in an all digital console, in general, but it's not for this reason)

Skelterz

There’s nothing to worry about regarding Backwards compatibility in my opinion Nintendo can make odd decisions but being able to keep OG switch games on shelves with labels saying “Compatible with Switch 2” or “4K upgrade on switch 2” it just seems to good a scenario to pass up being able to sell 2 generations worth of games that work on both systems.

Mythoclast

digital and physical SKUs for an SD card-sized game system? How much money would Nintendo save by removing the card reader? My guess is that the all-digital version has a larger SSD storage.
Its not about the cost of the reader, it’s about forcing you to buy digital

Mythoclast

If you buy an all digital Nintendo console, you deserve what's coming your way.

No price drops, no sales, just have the lube out for $69.99 games even if they are years old. The SKU is a honeypot.
Well, it’s not like physical gets discounted very much either.

mhirano

T
digital and physical SKUs for an SD card-sized game system? How much money would Nintendo save by removing the card reader? My guess is that the all-digital version has a larger SSD storage.
They removed the video chip from the Switch Lite just to save pennies. It’s less about economy and more about product placement

DaGwaphics

i think it makes more sense for a portable system to be all digital anyway. you can have many games on a single card rather than carrying around multiple cards for each game.

Nothing wrong with it at all. With how profitable the cartridges are for Nintendo it would just be surprising.

mrcroket

i think it makes more sense for a portable system to be all digital anyway. you can have many games on a single card rather than carrying around multiple cards for each game.
Not with Nintendo, with its server shutdowns and access to digital stores. Also nintendo games don't go down in price, which gives much more value to their physical games over time.

Sojiro

I don't believe for a minute that there will be an SKU that is digital only, especially at launch. Maybe a couple years down the line as a "lite" version. I know power speculation is running rampart, but I figure between ps4 to ps4 pro level, with DLSS allowing for some decent upscaling should be the ballpark range of expectations to have. Nintendo still has to keep this thing affordable and in a small form factor at the end of the day. I am sure in another 3-4 weeks we'll get some more "insider information".

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Historically they have more consoles with competent power than not (NES, SNES, N64 and GC vs Wii, Wii U and Switch).
not when you factor in handhelds. GB, GBC, DS, 3DS. + Wii, Wii U and Switch VS NES, SNES, N64, GC.

considering that the former was by far their more successful endeavour...

Buggy Loop

This is nintendo. Prepare to be disappointed.

Nintendo isn't making a chipset from the ground up like old ATI days. "Custom" with Nvidia means they have a new lineup prepared for mass selling that has a few blocks made for Nintendo specifically but the overall architecture is theirs.

Nintendo doesn't have the cash to pay Nvidia to be lab rats on their grand ideas of what an architecture should be when they've lost the plot for years.

Qualcomm approached Nintendo with the Snapdragon XR2 gen 2 already so if they pick Nvidia, it means they have the edge. Because Snapdragon is a beast, has RT, has ML, mass produced and cheap. Likely what Switch 2 gets is what we'll find on a Shield 2 down the line.

onQ123

Ray tracing on a portable hardware
Animated GIF
You can run ray tracing demos on phones & tablets now

No one knowing about BC is interesting. It madness me think it is not BC. But with all the negative backlash, Nintendo will add a Switch chipset like the ps3 had at launch.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Of all the hopium "secret sauce" bullshit I've been hearing ever since rumors of the Nintendo Revolution, DLSS is the closest it's ever got to actualizing in reality. It would be awesome if the new console has these features, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Boy bawang

He's just parroting what most people in the topic already knew, and mixes some "may or may not happen" things. Nate The Clown shouldn't be taken seriously.

Gold Member
I’ll believe it when I see it. Not sure Nintendo give a fuck about power, if it will increase the price significantly.

Will happily eat crow though…

Don't read NeoGaf before bed, I fell asleep and had a weird dream that I was watching the Switch 2 announcement video.

Going to share my announcement dream with you all, just incase I am some sort of clairvoyant. THIS IS FROM A DREAM (but probably still more accurate than Nate). It was split into an advert, then a hardware reveal, then a Nintendo direct style game showcase,

Hardware (FROM A DREAM)
  • Was called the "Switch hi" - but the hi was styled to look like a roman numeral II from a distance.
  • Was a hybrid device like the Switch, could be connected to a TV or played Headheld like a VR headset.
  • Headheld? yes - In true Nintendo WTF fashion, it wasn't a VR headset, but a MR headset that just has a big virtual 2D display for playing games on.
  • Some game reveals implied some sort of spacial or hand tracking
Games (FROM A DREAM)
  • Opened with a new open world Pokemon mainline game
    • Some boy, sorry, body type A, riding what looked like a light cycle around, surrounded by Pokemon in a forest environment.
    • So basically just the Switch Pokemon games but just looking less shit, but still comparatively shit to everything else, sub-PS4 graphics.
  • New Zelda game
    • Mostly a teaser, dark corridor with some goblins
    • Link at a bridge talking to some NPC, who was a giant hybrid between a bank building and a pig, the pig was challenging him to move him out of the way using only two fingers, which is where the implied hand tracking was
  • New 2D/3D Secret of Mana
    • Looked just like Seiken no Densest 2/3, with some weird 2D/3D hybrid visual effect going on where looks like old school 2D pixel art but somehow could tilt slightly to reveal it's actually 3D, had awesome music, funky fog and lighting effects going on.
    • Comment section was getting filled with "BONER" comments at this point for some reason
  • New F-Zero
    • Looked like F-Zero GX
  • Zelda TotK
    • Higher resolution, 60fps, nicer foliage, but mostly the same game
I feel like I'm forgetting something, you know how dreams work, your brain starts deleting shit the moment you wake up.

Woopah

He made some shit up and put it on Youtube.

Nate the Hate has no sources, he use to be Emily Rogers' wingman on Neogaf.

Actually, now that I think about it, he may be using Emily Rogers as a source, if he's not aware she's as full of shit as he is.
Like Grubb and Emily, Nate clearly has sources in the industry. Of course that doesn't mean the information those sources have are always accurate and so yes things should be taken with a grain of salt.

LordOfChaos

Nintendo never does free anything. I love their products but man they have some of the most miserly pricing in the industry.

I mean at least charging developers nothing to patch for the new level just like Sony did with the PS5 for PS4 games and then it's their choice what to do from there, but then again the biggest publisher on Nintendo is Nintendo and they'll just make a new version to charge full price for

Sethbacca

I mean at least charging developers nothing to patch for the new level just like Sony did with the PS5 for PS4 games and then it's their choice what to do from there, but then again the biggest publisher on Nintendo is Nintendo and they'll just make a new version to charge full price for
Yeah, that's pretty much my thought too.

My Prediction....
Animated GIF

Last edited:

bigdad2007

A digital only sku would mean a very limited backwards compatibility support. I can’t imagine with how popular the Switch was and how Nintendo has tried to push their online account system that they would really make people start all over with their digital collections.

If they were to do that it might mean I never buy digital from them again and just switch to a Steam Deck and then eventually emulate the Nintendo games I want. This would be like the third time they would have burned digital customers.

Woopah

A digital only sku would mean a very limited backwards compatibility support. I can’t imagine with how popular the Switch was and how Nintendo has tried to push their online account system that they would really make people start all over with their digital collections.

If they were to do that it might mean I never buy digital from them again and just switch to a Steam Deck and then eventually emulate the Nintendo games I want. This would be like the third time they would have burned digital customers.
Why would a digital only sku mean limited backwards compatability? Both PS5 and Xbox Series have a digital only SKU and BC.
No way is switch 2 doing any real RT without being stuck looking exactly like a switch 1 game.
Why? Nvidia is pretty good at RT no?

Top Bottom