• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wants to avoid scalping with its next console

Draugoth

Gold Member
switch-2.jpg

FURUKAWA SAID THE COMPANY WILL AIM TO AVOID RESELLERS BY MAKING AS MANY CONSOLES AS POSSIBLE

During the Q&A session at Nintendo’s most recent General Meeting of Shareholders, one person asked if Nintendo would be taking measures to prevent people from reselling its next console, to make sure it ends up in the hands of those who actually want to play it.

“With regard to resale measures when launching new hardware, we recognise that the most important thing is to first produce and ship in numbers that can meet customer demand,” Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa said. “We will then consider whether there are any other possible measures that can be taken.”

Scalping has been an issue in the games industry for some time, especially in recent years when the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X were in short supply.Although Nintendo hasn’t had to deal with it on a hardware level for a while, it does occasionally happen with some of its special edition games. Last year, the special edition of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 sold out instantly in the US, resulting in the $89.99 set being scalped on eBay for up to $350.

Last edited:
There’s no stopping it, not categorically. But it can be reasonably mitigated to avoid the shitshow that encumbered PS5 and, more drastically, Nvidia GPUs.

93xfan

Banned
Maybe they’ll make it like the classic controllers where each account can order a specified amount (1, in this case)

diffusionx

Gold Member
There’s no stopping it, not categorically. But it can be reasonably mitigated to avoid the shitshow that encumbered PS5 and, more drastically, Nvidia GPUs.

The ONLY way to stop scalping is to price the system at the market price. PS5s were being scalped at, I dunno, $800. If Sony priced the system at $800 then there would have been no scalping. Now maybe you introduce it as like a "Founders Edition" type console for the first few months but that's the only way.

Minsc

Gold Member
The ONLY way to stop scalping is to price the system at the market price. PS5s were being scalped at, I dunno, $800. If Sony priced the system at $800 then there would have been no scalping. Now maybe you introduce it as like a "Founders Edition" type console for the first few months but that's the only way.

You could simply have an order system that doesn't prevent purchases like Apple (that is to say NOT have a system that after 30 seconds the product is no longer available to buy/order anywhere, period). Just allow infinite purchases, take money upfront, and put them in a queue. Solved.

Whatever Sony did with the PS5 is the absolute worst way to handle console launches.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's a flattering problem to have shortages, especially when your inventory is good. But it is nevertheless a problem. It's worse to have too much of it though.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
just sell half of them from nintendo directly (amazon, ebay, bestbuy online sells direct as well)

radewagon

You could simply have an order system that doesn't prevent purchases like Apple (that is to say NOT have a system that after 30 seconds the product is no longer available to buy/order anywhere, period). Just allow infinite purchases, take money upfront, and put them in a queue. Solved.

Whatever Sony did with the PS5 is the absolute worst way to handle console launches.
While I agree, I also think that the PS5 Lottery that they did directly through their store was pretty great and an example of how to sell consoles in a scalper-heavy atmosphere. It's how I got my PS5 at launch. Something as simple as making the first consoles available to people with a "Nintendo Switch Online" subscription and limiting one per account would cut down on a lot of the scalping.

Minsc

Gold Member
While I agree, I also think that the PS5 Lottery that they did directly through their store was pretty great and an example of how to sell consoles in a scalper-heavy atmosphere. It's how I got my PS5 at launch. Something as simple as making the first consoles available to people with a "Nintendo Switch Online" subscription and limiting one per account would cut down on a lot of the scalping.

I dunno, I prefer just being able to place an order and be done with it, not allowing your customers a way to order a product is a terrible business model. I tried their lottery and had a longer wait time and didn't get a chance to purchase the system. After waiting like 6 months with daily efforts resulting in frustration, I did what I should have done from the start and bought it from a scalper and was free from this craziness in minutes.

RickMasters

Good luck with that. Its gonna be the newest toy on the block.... and everybody is gonna want it. and scalpers will be merciless! but then again nintendo will probably find a way to track them down and take them to court for something.

In theory, yes. But a variable price is a massive turn-off to consumers, plus the feasibility is dubious. There's no stopping a supposed "end customer" (or rather, a secondhand seller) from entering the market as a supplier if they want to. You'd at least mitigate organized scalping, which is enough of a win for the end-consumer, but it doesn't stop what is otherwise natural and expected market activity.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Coming from a company that shit out so few copies of certain games they bacame like rocking horse turd to get a copy..

Utter bollocks talk.

Kadve

Pretty sure scalping only can be stopped at an retailer level. Not sure what Nintendo can do themselves.

Sounds like this could be coming sooner than I thought with this and the news about Nintendo accounts moving across. Maybe Q3-Q4 2024 earliest with some hope.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I got it! We make it as powerful as the GameCube and make the controllers fucking Bop It's and then no one will buy enough to *CREATE* a scalping problem in the first place!

-Nintendo, since the 2000's.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
They’ll accomplish this by making it overpriced and underpowered, with a weak launch lineup and a new gimmick that nobody wants.

Zannegan

Here's an idea, offer people with paid Nintendo accounts the opportunity (in the order of the account's creation) to purchase a Switch 2 directly through Nintendo.com. You'll still get scalpers rocking 100 dummy accounts if the hardware is popular enough, but they'll be last in line, and at least you'll make some money out of the deal.

Do the same with variants, special editions, rare amiibo, etc. and you'll have happy whales, general goodwill, and a steady revenue stream from players and scalpers alike. Oh, and your oldest fans will have the chance to turn the tables on resellers for once, making a little back on the parasites who insert thenselves into the supply chain to no one's advantage but their own.

Ah, but who am I kidding? Scalpers will just buy the oldest accounts and return to business as usual. Still, the situation would improve for most fans.

cireza

Them acknowledging this is already good first step. Hopefully they can commit. It might be challenging though as obsolete components can become costly and difficult to produce.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Sounds like this could be coming sooner than I thought with this and the news about Nintendo accounts moving across. Maybe Q3-Q4 2024 earliest with some hope.
I'm hoping for Spring again so that the supply chain can be smoothed out before the holidays. Your estimate is probably more realistic though. =/

Tams

I dunno, I prefer just being able to place an order and be done with it, not allowing your customers a way to order a product is a terrible business model. I tried their lottery and had a longer wait time and didn't get a chance to purchase the system. After waiting like 6 months with daily efforts resulting in frustration, I did what I should have done from the start and bought it from a scalper and was free from this craziness in minutes.

You are part of the problem.

Minsc

Gold Member
You are part of the problem.

It's ultimately not my problem, since the solution is right there, buy from the scalpers and what will happen next time around much faster.

It's the console companies that are the ones creating the problem, not me. I am simply using what means are provided to get what I want without playing games for 6 months like I said.

SCB3

open up pre-orders to NSO master race members first and let the rest of the plebs fight each other for the scraps
Actually the best solution, long term NSO member first and trickle down

Though saying that I've only just been able to finally order the N64 Controller this week and I've been trying to get that since it released

Last edited:
of course they want to remove scalpers, only because they can't take a cut from them LOL.

This is the company that loves using artificial scarcity to drive sales. Sure, they'll make as many as possible hahahahah

Top Bottom