• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya I think f0rk is looking at the funny gif Funky Papa posted in reply, but I don't think anyone is confusing that horn with the horn blowing north of the Wall.

Cyan

Banned
I thought we were discussing the horns past the wall in the North, not the north men at Winterfell. I originally said/thought that the people on the "Fist of the First Men" (?) were blowing the horn to alert Sam and co. but then Parrot reminded me that earlier this season when they were at the "Fist of the Fist Men" they heard the horns there too.

Presumably a scout at a high point. Probably not something meant to be mysterious or important.

FStop7

Banned
boromir-and-horn22-1.jpg

God, that part of the movie is amazing.

Sorry, back on topic.

f0rk

Ya I think f0rk is looking at the funny gif Funky Papa posted in reply, but I don't think anyone is confusing that horn with the horn blowing north of the Wall.

Yes I am confusing the question. I don't think the Winterfell bit was well done at all so I could see how people would get confused.

North of the Wall they were out getting fire wood and the horn was the rest of the guys on top of the Fist.

North of the Wall they were out getting fire wood and the horn was the rest of the guys on top of the Fist.
In the finale, right? But who was blowing the horn they heard when they were all camped out at the Fist earlier in the season? That was when the fat dude said 3 blows is for Whitewalkers and they teased him about reading it in a "book," whatever that is.

I realize it's probably not important but we have a year to analyze every detail!

So we can all go ahead and say Sam was most likely iced, yeah?
What? I think that's the opposite of what most people think. They're not going to place so much emphasis on the character to give him an insignificant death, let alone make the point of showing that the White Walker on the horse ignored him purposely.

McNei1y

No body = no death!

they just ignored him so i reckon he'll be ok, he poses no threat
KuGsj.gif

What? I think that's the opposite of what most people think. They're not going to place so much emphasis on the character to give him an insignificant death, let alone make the point of showing that the White Walker on the horse ignored him purposely.

I mean you guys make a good point since the intro to the series had a guy run away/survive a white walker attack so I guess its possible. I just hope that means Davos is alive!

Volimar

In the finale, right? But who was blowing the horn they heard when they were all camped out at the Fist earlier in the season? That was when the fat dude said 3 blows is for Whitewalkers and they teased him about reading it in a "book," whatever that is.

I realize it's probably not important but we have a year to analyze every detail!

That was Halfhand and his crew coming to meet up with them if I recall correctly.

f0rk

I shouldn't have posted anything I think I'm coming in half way through a conversation without reading the first half lol.
Earlier in the season it was whatever random guy was on watch for the Night's Watch, same as in this last episode. Or it could have been Halfhands crew, I'm not sure it really matters. All the horn blowing north of the wall was done by Night's Watch dudes.

That was Halfhand and his crew coming to meet up with them if I recall correctly.

I shouldn't have posted anything I think I'm coming in half way through a conversation without reading the first half lol.
Earlier in the season it was whatever random guy was on watch for the Night's Watch, same as in this last episode.
Oh ok, that's not that interesting then. :) I thought it was some other group of Watchers that I missed.

Violet_0

Banned
you know, IF Theon was kidnapped by his men in order to bring him back home alive (maybe on command of his sister?) it'd be kind of strange that they've waited so long with this. Also, wouldn't it just be a little bit suspicious if they walked out of the castle gate with a guy with a bag over his head? And Theon was nowhere to be found?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Oh man, this season finale definitely required a second viewing to get all its plot juice.

Pros and cons, followed by random musings:

Pros:

• Pycelle being a little shit. That sweet revenge... he is relishing it
  • I loved Margaery Tyrell. I already liked the character, but Natalie Dormer nailed her part and I really enjoyed her (successful) attempt at seducing Joffrey (dat chest puffing)
tumblr_m53o85YwT81qebs6xo1_250.gif

• Sansa's little laugh... quashed by Littlefinger's littlefingering
  • "You remind me of your mother"
tumblr_m54bkvnS201r1si4po1_1280.png

• Vary's no-cock moment.
tumblr_m53bh6l3jU1qdana6o2_500.gif

• Brienne crushing fools again. Although I'm not sure what's her standing now; let's hope that the Starks don't get wind of her little adventures with the Kingslayer...
  • Theon being a dick
  • Theon getting no respect
  • Theon getting knocked the fuck out
tumblr_m52uv1dvyt1qzlt9yo2_250.gif

• Kaleeshi redeemed with fire and blood. Holy shit. The warlock's death was a bit cheesy, but I greatly enjoyed it. Dragons continue to look gorgeous, too. Does anybody know where can I buy one?
  • Dany was also RAVISHING during the wall scene. Stunningly gorgeous. [
tumblr_m53gk9UfTo1qftzl9o6_250.gif

• Nice touch with Khal Drogo, BTW, I really liked how they managed to keep secret Jason Momoa's return.
  • The white walker was AMAZING, and so were the wights. Absolutely mindblowing imagery, it looked like some real Warhammer shit. Great way to end the season and even better way to set up the next one.
tumblr_m52qgnJNqL1qg2nrdo3_250.gif

Cons:
  • I find hard to believe that Tywin would dispose of Tyrion so easily after his enormous role in the battle of Blackwater. I know he is not loved by his family, but the whole thing seemed... weird. I hope we can see what happened next season
  • Maester Ludwin NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. My eyes watered a bit at how he was dispatched by that Pyke cunt and then again with Osha :_(
tumblr_m53a5aMdMi1qfv91lo7_r1_250.gif

• Winterfell's siege was handled... poorly. But maybe it was on purpose? (see random musings)
  • No more Doreah sucks
  • Halfhand's ploy to offer his life in exchange for Jon's and put a brother in Mance's army was telegraphed with absolutely no subtlety at all. I really disliked it.

Random musings:
  • Man, did they uglify Tyrion with that slash to his face. Wow.
  • Podrick seems like a legit guy, which is a death sentence in Westeros. Better not get too attached to him.
  • Stannis fire scene. I really cannot understand why he didn't kill Melissandre nor what he saw on that fire. I'm just baffled.
  • Robb is such a fucking moron. Arranged marriage is a shitty deal, but he has hundreds of troops under his command. Something tells me he's going to pay his part for that bridge and then some. Talisa should also know better.
  • Shit, I hope that wasn't the last we'll see of OG Jaqen.
  • I have the distinct feeling that Theon's crew did not sack Winterfell. During my second viewing I noticed that they just didn't give a fuck about the city, it was more like a "fuck this shit, we going home" moment than a "let's rape and pillage, and burn shit and return to our boats" one. Chances are they sneaked through one of those secret passages. Also, where was the sieging army? I am starting to feel that maybe Roose Bolton's bastard sacked Winterfell, but that doesn't make a smidgen of sense unless he wants to press Robb into being a more brutal leader. And that'd be just a bit forced. Theon's hood was also strange. What's the point of it?
  • Ludwin telling the kids to go North was super bizarre. It kind of makes sense... yet it doesn't. I think he knew something. But what?
  • White walkers! At first I was annoyed by how much they had changed since the first episode and the one with Craster's (?), but looking again at the army it looks like some of them carry some light armour and helmets/masks that give them their former dark look.
tGXge.jpg

• Still, I really don't understand how they could siege the wall, being such a ginormous structure. What's their strategy? Storm the tunnels? Those could be easily blocked by the Night's Watch. Sail around? They don't seem like the sea faring type...
  • I wonder what's going to happen with the crew at the Fist of the First Men. Interestingly enough, it does seem like keeping someone alive is a terror tactic favoured by the White Walkers.

In sum, an excellent finale for a season that began a little uneven but turned around big time around the second half. The wait for S3 is going to suck so bad.

Funky Papa said:
I have the distinct feeling that Theon's crew did not sack Winterfell. During my second viewing I noticed that they just didn't give a fuck about the city, it was more like a "fuck this shit, we going home" moment than a "let's rape and pillage, and burn shit and return to our boats" one. Chances are they sneaked through one of those secret passages. Also, where was the sieging army? I am staring to feel that maybe Roose Bolton's bastard sacked Winterfell, but that doesn't make a smidgen of sense unless he wants to press Robb into being a more brutal leader. And that'd be just a bit forced. Theon's hood was also strange. What's the point of it?

Before the episode they showed the 'What happened last time'-thingy. They showed the conversation between Robb and the dude who sent his bastard to Winterfell.

Robb said that every Greyjoy that surrenders is allowed to go home, except for Theon. Then the other guy says that they would probably hand over Theon when hearing that offer.

So I assume they handed over Theon to the bastard his army and were allowed to go home, but then the whole burned down Winterfell still doesn't really make sense.

Kinyou

[*]Still, I really don't understand how they could siege the wall, being such a ginormous structure. What's their strategy? Storm the tunnels? Those could be easily blocked by the Night's Watch. Sail around? They don't seem like the sea faring type...
It wouldn't surprise me if they just climb it up. I don't really think that they have any of those human disadvantages like limited stamina or feeling of pain.

JGS

Banned
The Wall is leaky. There are several places to pass through since it's undermanned. I thought Osha is from north of the Wall

Ark

Even with the Watch's full force back at the wall there's only enough for one man to guard every mile of the wall. Even the Wildlings have scaled the wall before.

JGS

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if they just climb it up. I don't really think that they have any of those human disadvantages like limited stamina or feeling of pain.
I do agree with this though. I don't think a white walker and their zombies are going to worry about being sneaky. They are going to climb and work on that main gate until their through.

It's really funny to think that people think the Wall, as ginormous as it is, was ment to hold back tribal people when the people South of the Wall are more brutal. That was a monster barrier pure and simple.

Kinyou

I do agree with this though. I don't think a white walker and their zombies are going to worry about being sneaky. They are going to climb and work on that main gate until their through.

It's really funny to think that people think the Wall, as ginormous as it is, was ment to hold back tribal people when the people South of the Wall are more brutal. That was a monster barrier pure and simple.
Wasn't there also a mention of "Giants" beyond the wall in the first season?

Would be interesting if those actually exist.

btw. I really love the idea of adding Zombies to this fantasy scenario. On the one hand it seems super cheesy but on the other hand is the potential almost unlimited. Also with the real White Walkers apparently being somewhat intelligent it should be interesting to find out what their agenda is.

Massa

btw. I really love the idea of adding Zombies to this fantasy scenario. On the one hand it seems super cheesy but on the other hand is the potential almost unlimited. Also with the real White Walkers apparently being somewhat intelligent it should be interesting to find out what their agenda is.

I think the White Walkers are marching south so they can slap Joffrey's face. At least that's what I hope.

Cyan

Banned
I think the White Walkers are marching south so they can slap Joffrey's face. At least that's what I hope.

They'll have to get in line.

Ah, I can see it now. A line stretching from King's Landing all the way to the horizon. "Slap the King! Five pennies!"

spirity

Samwell floundering around in the snow was pretty lame. He made no effort at all to escape the shambling wights, and it was like watching a slow fog chase him down. I guess you could pass it off as 'the magic filled him with dread and slowed his limbs' or something. But it should have been done better. God damn, that White Walker. Loved that whole scene.

Daenerys Targaryen is an incredibly dangerous woman, and its only now we're really being shown it after squawks of "im the mother of dragons" one too many times. I wonder what could possibly stop her, an army (dothrakians and whoever rallies to her), and 3 dragons leading them? Not mere men, I suspect. Melisandre's magic? Also, locking them in the vault was ice cold. But that was important, because she is showing she has what it takes to be a ruler.

Tywin's horse crapping on the floor of the iron throne room was awesome. Metaphor ahoy!

Sansa's naivety will be the death of her. She has no standing at all now Joffrey's got his eyes on squashed tits. She's trying to ride out the storm but it's just got a lot fiercer. Get out, get out, get out.

J-Rod

Wasn't there also a mention of "Giants" beyond the wall in the first season?

Would be interesting if those actually exist.

Giants? With all the supernatural stuff being kicked up a notch I hope they are able to convey it in the show somehow.

Enosh

I kinda wonder
what exactly is danys plan now?

1. get small boat
2. ????
3. profit?

I don't think landing in westeros with a few people and 3 cat sized dragons will help much against everyone wanting to murder her

Sajjaja

I kinda wonder

1. get small boat
2. ????
3. profit?

I don't think landing in westeros with a few people and 3 cat sized dragons will help much against everyone wanting to murder her

Everyone thinks she is dead remember?

Konosuke

Samwell floundering around in the snow was pretty lame. He made no effort at all to escape the shambling wights, and it was like watching a slow fog chase him down. I guess you could pass it off as 'the magic filled him with dread and slowed his limbs' or something. But it should have been done better. God damn, that White Walker. Loved that whole scene.

Daenerys Targaryen is an incredibly dangerous woman, and its only now we're really being shown it after squawks of "im the mother of dragons" one too many times. I wonder what could possibly stop her, an army (dothrakians and whoever rallies to her), and 3 dragons leading them? Not mere men, I suspect. Melisandre's magic? Also, locking them in the vault was ice cold. But that was important, because she is showing she has what it takes to be a ruler.

Tywin's horse crapping on the floor of the iron throne room was awesome. Metaphor ahoy!

Sansa's naivety will be the death of her. She has no standing at all now Joffrey's got his eyes on squashed tits. She's trying to ride out the storm but it's just got a lot fiercer. Get out, get out, get out.
It looked to me like he was shitting on Tyrion, but I'd love to see him giving kudos for leading the men when Joff didn't.

J-Rod

I may have misunderstood, but I think the line about a "small boat" was sarcastic. I think they have enough loot to buy anything.

Sajjaja

Not everyone. There was a bit where Varys was telling Tyrion about her having dragons, and Tyrion sort of goes "whoa, hey, one thing at a time."

Well, the more powerful folks. I think it was in first season where Varys tells Ned that the execution is already being carried out and it is too late to stop it. So, everyone else, who knows about her, thinks she's dead.

Vlad

I kinda wonder

1. get small boat
2. ????
3. profit?

As she keeps saying (over and over and over again), she thinks that "the people" want her on the throne. She's thinking that there's going to be a massive uprising that will support her claim to the throne as soon as she lands on the shore over there. Basically, she's got a similar sense of entitlement that her brother did.

The problem with her plan is that (as far as we've seen) nobody really supports her claim to the throne, although we haven't really seen enough of what the peasants think to really know one way or another.

And speaking of what the peasants think, what was the deal with them starving in King's Landing? I get that it was an easy way to show that Joffrey's a bad king or whatever, but I can't quite figure out how that was supposed to be his fault. We never actually heard what the cause of the famine was, correct? For all we know, there was just a drought and all the crops died, causing the superstitious peasants to use Joffrey as a scapegoat.

And speaking of what the peasants think, what was the deal with them starving in King's Landing? I get that it was an easy way to show that Joffrey's a bad king or whatever, but I can't quite figure out how that was supposed to be his fault. We never actually heard what the cause of the famine was, correct? For all we know, there was just a drought and all the crops died, causing the superstitious peasants to use Joffrey as a scapegoat.
Isn't that what we do?

"I'm comfortable and can afford toys."

*President's approval rating increases*

"My daughter can't find a job!"

*approval rating goes down*

kirblar

Ludwin telling the kids to go North was super bizarre. It kind of makes sense... yet it doesn't. I think he knew something. But what?
He sends them there because the Night's Watch is a neutral faction. Everyone thinks the boys are dead, so sending them somewhere where no one could accidentally come across them would be safest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom