• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGS

Banned
She doesn't know shit about the game. She is blunt and superficial in her approach (power is power), and that is going to bit her in the ass sooner or later.

Tyrion is cunning and stealthy, Cersei is violent and upfront. No way Cersei is outliving Tyrion.
Oh she's definitely not as smart as Tyrion. However, in two seasons, she has clearly come out on top in both of them.

Cercei is the start of the game (From this story's standpoint at least) but like most that start/invent it, someone comes along and betters/perfects it. That would be Tyrion & possibly Littlefinger (He comes from nothing but is now a Lord) although Tyrion is tops assuming he rises to the top again.

Lothar

Banned
So I would be okay starting from book 2 than?

Yep. The only major thing I can think that you'd be missing out on is that Tyrion's battle was actually described in the book. He didn't get knocked out.

If I made a list out of major things book 2 was missing, I could probably list about 50.. lol.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Littlefinger is the king of sleaze. God damn, I hate that dipshit.

I wonder if now that he's filthy rich won't try to do something stupid and bit more than he can chew. Hitting on Sansa already seems like a terrible start...

Edit: Lothar, bru, no book discussion at all ITT.

- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

Lothar

Banned
Maybe you could send him a private message.

And learn some manners.

I want everyone here to be aware of what books they can skip and what books they absolutely can't. What's the harm in that? For every one person who asks, there might be 30 lurkers that plan to just head right over to book 3. It needs to be stressed that that's not a good idea.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I want everyone here to be aware of what books they can skip and what books they absolutely can't. What's the harm in that? For every one person who asks, there might be 30 lurkers that plan to just head right over to book 3. It needs to be stressed that that's not a good idea.

From the OT:
ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...
If you want to make comparisons, use a PM.

J-Rod

I wonder if we will get any dialogue between Joffrey and Tywin or if they will just completely avoid each other. It's hard to see those two opposite personalities living in such close proximity without drama. Joffery is out of control and Tywin doesn't seem like the kind of guy that puts up with a lot of bullshit.

Although, Joffrey came off as oddly lucid this last episode. He almost did something he didn't want to do because he was concerned with honor, unless he was in on the act.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So after I explain to you that it's not hurting anything and it's necessary for everyone to know, that's your reply? Again, I say stfu.

You are making comparisons and even pointed a clear difference between the books and the show in regards to a character. While none of those things were ZOMG EPIC SPOILERS, those are the kind of posts many of us are trying to avoid in order to keep this thread free from the whaa-whaaing that fills the other one. Besides, keeping the book talk outside of this thread helps to avoid horrible slip ups (we already had a couple of those).

You are also being unnecessarily boorish.

I wonder if we will get any dialogue between Joffrey and Tywin or if they will just completely avoid each other. It's hard to see those two opposite personalities living in such close proximity without drama. Joffery is out of control and Tywin doesn't seem like the kind of guy that puts up with a lot of bullshit.
Tywin struck me as immensely tense during his scene. We already know he hates Tyrion, so it's not a stretch to think that he also dislikes Joffrey.

For the N-th time, we don't discuss the books in this thread. They don't exist as far as we're concerned. How's that difficult to comprehend?

JGS

Banned
I see Joffrey getting smacked a few more times.

Although, Joffrey came off as oddly lucid this last episode. He almost did something he didn't want to do because he was concerned with honor, unless he was in on the act.
He was in on the act. It was all rehearsed and no one bought it.

Last season he flat out said he didn't want to marry Sansa and his mother explained why he had to.

Kayhan

My list of characters I don't want to die, ranked by "How furious I'll be if they die."

1 being the most furious:

1. Tyrion
2. Dany
3. Tywin
4. Jorah
5. Jaqen

1. Jorah
2. Mother of Dragons
3. Jaime
4. Tyrion
5. Arya

Of those I can see Jorah and Jaime dying due to not being super-main characters. The others I doubt will die - at least until the end game.

Raist

Banned
Tywin struck me as immensely tense during his scene. We already know he hates Tyrion, so it's not a stretch to think that he also dislikes Joffrey.

Well yeah, the little jerk's caused him to get his ass kicked by Robb several times and Jaime to be captured, so it's not a stretch, no.

Kozak

Banned
I really do hope Tywin gets whif of the fact that Tyrion was the reason why Kings Landing hadn't fell before he arrived and forces Joffrey to keep Tyrion in the council. I think Varys' pretty much confirmed that nobody will acknowledge it though :(

Tyrion will find a way though.

Kinyou

I really do hope Tywin gets whif of the fact that Tyrion was the reason why Kings Landing hadn't fell before he arrived and forces Joffrey to keep Tyrion in the council. I think Varys' pretty much confirmed that nobody will acknowledge it though :(

Tyrion will find a way though.
At the very least will he make some snarky comment towards Tywin or Joffrey.

JGS

Banned
There would be no way to hide that. He blew up half a navy and if Tywin keeps losing he will have to use Tyrion for tactics. Tyrion will sell him on it (Since he can't top playing the game). I see them switching places once Jaime's back which would be hilarious at first. However, there is no doubt that Tywins strategists are idiots and Tyrion could literally replace all of them.

There would be no way to hide that. He blew up half a navy and if Tywin keeps losing he will have to use Tyrion for tactics. Tyrion will sell him on it (Since he can't top playing the game). I see them switching places once Jaime's back which would be hilarious at first. However, there is no doubt that Tywins strategists are idiots and Tyrion could literally replace all of them.

While I would love to see all of this, I fear the worst for Tyrion. Everyone with a voice that matters (Cersei, Joffrey) pretty much hates him.... nevermind the fact that whoever put the Kingsguard knight to kill him is probably fuming that he's still alive.

And the two people with power that would actually give him the time of day (Tywin, Jaime) unfortunately were not around to see his greatest triumph.

Remember, it was Cersei's idea for the wildfire, not Tyrion's.

JGS

Banned
While I would love to see all of this, I fear the worst for Tyrion. Everyone with a voice that matters (Cersei, Joffrey) pretty much hates him.... nevermind the fact that whoever put the Kingsguard knight to kill him is probably fuming that he's still alive.

And the two people with power that would actually give him the time of day (Tywin, Jaime) unfortunately were not around to see his greatest triumph.

Remember, it was Cersei's idea for the wildfire, not Tyrion's.
Thats' why i think he may go out to the battlefield so as to get away from Cercei and rebuild his power.

It's true that Cercei approved the wildfire, her plan would have been disasterous. She could take credit for it, but again, everyone who was there knew that only Tyrion knew the plot.

Thats' why i think he may go out to the battlefield so as to get away from Cercei and rebuild his power.

It's true that Cercei approved the wildfire, her plan would have been disasterous. She could take credit for it, but again, everyone who was there knew that only Tyrion knew the plot.

Tyrion with power = hell yeah. Although the battlefield may not be the best way to regain that... he's not the best warrior.

From what it looks like though, I'm guessing this upcoming season will be a fall from grace for the beloved half man. Short, disenfranchised and disfigured... if he ever gets power again I'm guessing it won't be by the traditional means.

As for Cersei... we've seen that she has no qualms about doing what it takes to take and/or retain power and prestige. There's also no way anyone takes Tyrion's side if Cersei's on the other side (even if they know the truth).

gibut

Arya's wolf never came back either. You dont really get to see the wolves much in season 2, i kind of felt they would be a bigger part of the plot for some reason.

Moaradin

Arya's wolf never came back either. You dont really get to see the wolves much in season 2, i kind of felt they would be a bigger part of the plot for some reason.

I did too. I remember them saying how they were going to CGI the wolves this time so I assumed they would play a bigger role.

Vlad

I did too. I remember them saying how they were going to CGI the wolves this time so I assumed they would play a bigger role.

There really wasn't that much that they did, though. Sure, they could have had them just hanging around in various shots, but they're still just the family pets (or attack dog, in Robb's case), so no reason to have extraneous "hey, look at the wolves" shots just for the sake of it.

Of course, if they DO end up actually being somehow more important later on, then it'll be kind of strange to suddenly bring them to prominence. Kind of like the youngest Stark kid, whatever his name is. I completely forgot Bran had a younger brother, since he was pretty much nonresistant in S1.

Kinyou

Jaqen will give to her later on at Bravos would be my guess.
I wonder if that's ever going to happen though. I mean you can't really just have her go to that city and train for a few years, right?

Because that would mean that you basically cut her out of the story for one or two seasons since all you'd see of her would be her training. (what I can't imagine to be very interesting)

Or you have some big timeskip. Though a timeskip would have the problem that all the other stories are just too quickly developing. If you skip two or three years ahead the whole war could already be over.

I feel like they will be a bigger part. We just have to be patient. I think it's taking long to set up the meat and potatoes of the series. I mean the books are called Ice and Fire and those two things haven't been much of the plot thus far.

Revolver

Kind of like the youngest Stark kid, whatever his name is. I completely forgot Bran had a younger brother, since he was pretty much nonresistant in S1.

You and me both. When he appeared at the table with Bran and Maester Luwin during that council meeting I had no idea who is was.

gibut

I wonder if that's ever going to happen though. I mean you can't really just have her go to that city and train for a few years, right?

Because that would mean that you basically cut her out of the story for one or two seasons since all you'd see of her would be her training. (what I can't imagine to be very interesting)

Or you have some big timeskip. Though a timeskip would have the problem that all the other stories are just too quickly developing. If you skip two or three years ahead the whole war could already be over.

The way the season ended i feel Arya is gonna end up in Bravos or somewhere else with Jaqen. Would be kind of boring if she meet back up with Robb don't think they would let her do much but sit around with her mother at the camp. We already have had scenes with her training with her dance instructor so don't think it's out of the question. Also Jaqen is too popular a character to not bring him back for next season. Can't see Jaqen without Ara around. Also it hard to tell how much time actually goes by in the show, pretty sure S2 takes place over the course of a year or more.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You and me both. When he appeared at the table with Bran and Maester Luwin during that council meeting I had no idea who is was.

Psycho Stark.

tumblr_m3ao5kK7kg1qe2ha5o1_500.gif

gibut

I felt the same way with Joffery's brother and sister they just showed up the table one day when Sansa was eating with the Queen.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Fuck my life, the Spanish edition of A Dance with Dragons has ENORMOUS SPOILERS right in the cover. Like, FUCK OFF NEW READERS/TV WATCHERS, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS.

Jesus Christ. Not even real life is safe anymore.

Any Spanish speaking lurkers, be advised. If you follow the TV show you should not peruse your bookstore.

jayb

F*** my life, the Spanish edition of A Dance with Dragons has ENORMOUS SPOILERS right in the cover. Like, F*** OFF NEW READERS/TV WATCHERS, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS.

Any Spanish speaking lurkers, be advised. If you follow the TV show you should not peruse your bookstore.

wow, on the front cover? I've made the mistake of glancing at the back cover summary of books before, but that's crazy if it's on the front.

Fuck my life, the Spanish edition of A Dance with Dragons has ENORMOUS SPOILERS right in the cover. Like, FUCK OFF NEW READERS/TV WATCHERS, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS.

Thats true for the back covers of any of the books- they spoil events from the previous ones.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
wow, on the front cover? I've made the mistake of glancing at the back cover summary of books before, but that's crazy.

Front and back are fully illustrated. Absolutely massive. It's like a whole poster of fuck off.

Insane, considering that the TV show is sending people to the bookstores.

iNvid02

so if there are no unforseen circumstances and we get a season every year, and martin is able to put out the other 2 books before the tv show catches up, i have to last 6 years without getting spoiled - i dont think thats gonna happen

and thats if its all smooth sailing and there are no more books after #7, and HBO is still alive, and none of the actors die, and if martin doesnt die

2013 - season 3 pt1
2014 - season 3 pt2
2015 - season 4
2016 - season 5
2017 - season 6
2018 - season 7

JESUS CHRIST

Front and back are fully illustrated. Absolutely massive. It's like a whole poster of fuck off.

Insane, considering that the TV show is sending people to the bookstores.

Martin specifically asked for that particular...scene to be portrayed on the cover lol

I'll say this: the American/EU covers are rather tame, but for the love of god don't look at the back covers unless you want to be spoiled. And don't go to ASOIAF wiki bros.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Martin specifically asked for that particular...scene to be portrayed on the cover lol

I'll say this: the American/EU covers are rather tame, but for the love of god don't look at the back covers unless you want to be spoiled. And don't go to ASOIAF wiki bros.

Even googling some character names is dangerous. That's why I only use Wikia's site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom