• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the warning, Papa. I'm going to avoid looking at any of the books from now on just in case.

Life is full of bs spoilers. I accidentally saw the spoilery Prometheus trailer people have warned about, cuz I was only half paying attention to the tv. Was really trying to go in blind.

iNvid02

in the future there will be some sort of tool that actively blocks your brain from processing spoilers you dont want to know about, you'll just read the words or look at the pic but the thingymajig will block it from being processed.

a future i want to live in

Do you guys know people in real life who care as much about spoilers? I think I'm the only one of my friends who really care. Others actively want to know. Like we can be watching a replay of a fight that I saw live earlier in the day, and they'll want me to tell them what happens while we're watching it. Whereas for me, I almost never want to know, even if I'm not sure when I'll watch something. I think it's kinda funny.

JGS

Banned
Your best bet is probably the HBO viewers guide. Most everything else has at least a little bit of crossover and should be avoided if you don't want to get spoiled.
Plus the production values are great. My only gripe is they update based on the show randomly. I can't tell if they don't want to spoiler for the series marathonners.

JGS

Banned
Yeah, got a major future spoiler recently from a college football forum, of all places. What can you do.
I've gotten spoiled twice already, one huge. i09.com has at least 3 spoilers but at least warns so I was able to avoid.

This is going to be a long series...

I shun all things GoT except for this thread. It has worked thus far.
I've been lucky to not be here when random book reader asshole decides to drop some 'hints'

jayb

so if there are no unforseen circumstances and we get a season every year, and martin is able to put out the other 2 books before the tv show catches up, i have to last 6 years without getting spoiled - i dont think thats gonna happen

Easier to just read the books. no way you could go that long without getting spoiled by something.

Kinyou

so if there are no unforseen circumstances and we get a season every year, and martin is able to put out the other 2 books before the tv show catches up, i have to last 6 years without getting spoiled - i dont think thats gonna happen

and thats if its all smooth sailing and there are no more books after #7, and HBO is still alive, and none of the actors die, and if martin doesnt die

2013 - season 3 pt1
2014 - season 3 pt2
2015 - season 4
2016 - season 5
2017 - season 6
2018 - season 7

JESUS CHRIST
That is depressing. I mean what if I die in some car crash in 2016? lol

I think I'll be picking up the books soon. Maybe I just try one of those free deals from Audible, just to see what the books are like.

Chris R

Easier to just read the books. no way you could go that long without getting spoiled by something.

Exactly. With how popular the show is getting I can see people revealing spoilers in other areas without exactly thinking of people who are watching the show only.

I'd honestly read the books now if you haven't already, just to spare yourself the constant fretting of being spoiled while we wait for the next seasons.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Do you guys know people in real life who care as much about spoilers? I think I'm the only one of my friends who really care. Others actively want to know. Like we can be watching a replay of a fight that I saw live earlier in the day, and they'll want me to tell them what happens while we're watching it. Whereas for me, I almost never want to know, even if I'm not sure when I'll watch something. I think it's kinda funny.

I had a friend talk about a main character and say they were even more awesome in book 4.

By god I snapped.

The reason I don't want to read the books is because the reveals on the show are so fucking amazing not knowing what will happen. I can't recall a moment more stunning than the end of S1 Ep9 for me. I was going crazy. I'm sure reading it would have been great too.

JGS

Banned
I don't read the source material because it's not finished and I've learned that I compare the two and the show will likely come up lacking storywise because there's no way to copy narrative in well written books.

It's not super difficult to avoid spoilers as long as rules are followed though & Google is banned from information searches.

If you are spoiled, just start drinking. It's the closest thing we currently have to a mind wipe.

Unless you fancy sticking an ice pick up your nose.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
A tip to not getting spoiled, don't Google character's names. Google suggestions is an asshole.

and thats if its all smooth sailing and there are no more books after #7, and HBO is still alive, and none of the actors die, and if martin doesnt die

2013 - season 3 pt1
2014 - season 3 pt2
2015 - season 4
2016 - season 5
2017 - season 6
2018 - season 7

JESUS CHRIST

Took him 5 years to write the last one right? So what happens if he's working on 7 in 2018? :eek:

Tacitus_

Took him 5 years to write the last one right? So what happens if he's working on 7 in 2018? :eek:

If he gets off his ass and actually writes the next ones. He goes to so many cons and has so many sideprojects. Hell, I've seen him a couple of years ago! Had no idea who he was as I was visiting an anime/scifi/fantasy con.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Too much book talking (and it's partly my fault) :p

Since there's nothing to do until S3 arrives, we'll have to resort to the tumblrs (another good way to get spoiled) and speculation. Here's my take on magic, Dany and her cute little dwagons:

At first I thought that dragons died out because of inbreeding, but
the warlock's words seem to imply that Dany has some kind of lost power that make them healthy and strong. "The Mother of Dragons will be with her babies. She will give them her love and they will thrive by her side; When your dragons were born, our magic was born again. It is strongest in their pressence, and they are strongest in yours".

I am guessing that the Targaryen foolishly tried to keep the blood pure marrying brothers with sisters in order to maintain their dragon army, but in the end too much inbreeding destroyed that certain power. Dany, however, still retains a bit (?) of it, unlike his degenerate brother. This is what makes her so special.

Edit: Just how damn cute are the little bastards?

lN859.jpg

va6ol.jpg

If he gets off his ass and actually writes the next ones. He goes to so many cons and has so many sideprojects. Hell, I've seen him a couple of years ago! Had no idea who he was as I was visiting an anime/scifi/fantasy con.

according to wikipedia, that's just how the man writes. Few people can write good stories in a linear fashion, from what I've gathered from various authors.

btw: the biggest threat to the show are the child actors growing into far different looking adults.

And spoilers for books over a decade (GoT even 20+ years) are not exactly spoilers, imo.
oh, and the show using a mountain lion as their version of a "made in the US" in-joke was annoying for me. (see the Awake thread). Grrr.

six-year old brother out of fucking nowhere bothered me as well in S1. Yes, there are five Starks, but he was just suddenly there like "oh shit, we forgot one".

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

Don't want to say much, but a variety of unique circumstances conspired towards that long delay. In theory, future books should be on a regular schedule.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Uh, another weird (?) observation: apparently Qarth has several warlocks either living, working or doing whatever warlocks do in the House of the Undying, but so far we've only met Pyat Pree. I wonder if the writers/budget messed up that part or if we'll see more of them.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Right after being introduced. Xaro said that "they drink shade of the evening" in the House of the Undying, which "turns their lips blue and their minds soft".

Pyat also referred to himself (and his magic clones) as a we, so I just assumed maybe others refer to Pyat as a collective, and not a singular person. Not sure though.

JGS

Banned
Pyat also referred to himself (and his magic clones) as a we, so I just assumed maybe others refer to Pyat as a collective, and not a singular person. Not sure though.
From that episode, I thought it was a group of drug users. I was surprised that the House of Undying basically amounted to one guy. However, I also think the show was implying that people feared the house more than actually knowing about the house.

MNC

HBO are the biggest trolls, to begin with. I can't imagine how many new viewers were spoiled with this little stunt

Yup, that got me spoiled the first time around.

Plus a facebook update that went "HOLY SHIT NOOOOOO WHY DID NED STARK HAVE TO DIEEEEEE"

Motherfuckers.

At some point during the season I saw a promotional poster of Robert sitting in the iron throne with his wolf next to him. I was like NOOOOOO.

They shouldn't even have that shit floating around.

jayb

At some point during the season I saw a promotional poster of Robert sitting in the iron throne with his wolf next to him. I was like NOOOOOO.

They shouldn't even have that s*** floating around.

Robert with a wolf? Baratheon? If you mean Rob Stark, when was he ever sitting on the iron throne?

Joni

They shouldn't even have that shit floating around.

They should just do one with Rickon. I mean, if Martin is known for killing all characters people like; either Rickon or Joffrey is going to be king at the end of the show. And we have already seen Joffrey on the throne.

Plus a facebook update that went "HOLY SHIT NOOOOOO WHY DID NED STARK HAVE TO DIEEEEEE"
I was far more subtly spoiled that night. It as the same night the Miami Heat lost the NBA Finals and Damon Lindelof posted "No matter how bad a day LeBron is having, it's not worse than Sansa's" and given the situation I pretty much figured it out from there.

Balehead

I was far more subtly spoiled that night. It as the same night the Miami Heat lost the NBA Finals and Damon Lindelof posted "No matter how bad a day LeBron is having, it's not worse than Sansa's" and given the situation I pretty much figured it out from there.

I wonder how many people got spoiled just by "Bwahahaha Sean "dies in everything" Bean perfect choice for Ned.". I wasn't this invested in GoT during 1st season so I only watched the show, now the wait for S3 is going to be much harder since I've been talking about the show.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

2013 - season 3 pt1
2014 - season 3 pt2
2015 - season 4
2016 - season 5
2017 - season 6
2018 - season 7

JESUS CHRIST

Unlike traditional broadcast TV, there isn't anything holding HBO to running a once a year affair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom