• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogni-XR21

I'm kind of afraid it will turn into a problem that the kid actors age way quicker than the characters. How much time has passed since the beginning of season 1?

Btw. lucky me, I didn't get spoiled on anything yet. Thinking about reading the books but I just love being surprised by the show.

Andvary

I'm kind of afraid it will turn into a problem that the kid actors age way quicker than the characters. How much time has passed since the beginning of season 1?

Btw. lucky me, I didn't get spoiled on anything yet. Thinking about reading the books but I just love being surprised by the show.

You should read them.

Ogni-XR21

You should read them.

But like someone else has posted before, I would end up comparing the show to the book all the time. It took me several viewings of the LOTR movies to not do that any more. But I will probably end up reading them anyway.

In the books somewhere from 18 month to 2 years have passed.

Well that kind of works. If the time keeps on passing like this it might just work out... but wait, we have season 3 & 4 covering only one book.

Vlad

Well that kind of works. If the time keeps on passing like this it might just work out... but wait, we have season 3 & 4 covering only one book.

Isn't it the other way around? I thought we had the next two seasons covering one book, not one season containing two books.

Regarding being spoiled, I just got into the series a couple months ago but I was spoiled of Ned's death thanks to fellow Gaffers in OT with such threads as "Sean Bean dies too early in everything" or "Sean Bean gets stabbed at a bar". The posts inside spoiled the show. Still loved every second of it.

Jonm1010

Banned
Regarding being spoiled, I just got into the series a couple months ago but I was spoiled of Ned's death thanks to fellow Gaffers in OT with such threads as "Sean Bean dies too early in everything" or "Sean Bean gets stabbed at a bar". The posts inside spoiled the show. Still loved every second of it.

Yeah I got spoiled about that in the original announcement of the series coming to HBO. They mentioned casting Sean bean as Ned stark and some dick headed cuntface blurted out that they will only need him for one season since he gets killed off.

I was like thanks and fuck you, you piece of shit.

Rorschach

I finally got around to watching it. Arya should have gone to train!

I think stupidity runs in the Stark bloodline. Robb risking the war because he got his first taste of vagine... Can't you at least wait until after the fucking war? Snow can't kill some random wildling, but he can look his comrade in the eye while he guts him? Yeah, it had to be done, but so did killing the wildling... and he didn't even have to do that himself.

Then again, Arya is awesome. Maybe she's adopted... I'd say she takes after her mother, but her mother's an idiot. :/

PS: I hope Sansa dies.
PPS: Dany finally made it off my "hope they die soon" list even though her scenes took way too fucking long. Might get interesting. Varys finally made it off too!

I like to picture this as Hodor reading everyone else's lists out loud.

haha

Jonm1010

Banned
Fuck both of you, sansa is one of my favorites now.

Also bran seems pretty smart as well, if we're talking about non-stupid Starks.

Rorschach

Fuck both of you, sansa is one of my favorites now.

Also bran seems pretty smart as well, if we're talking about non-stupid Starks.

Yeah, Bran's alright.

What could you possibly see in Sansa? I hated her from the start, but especially after her rant about how she was going to give Joffrey a million babies or whatever. The only moment where I was like "oh shit, I might start liking her" was when she looked down that ledge and then looked at Joffrey. I thought she'd start taking shots at offing him, but nope. She's completely useless as anything other than a welcome mat to wipe one's feet on.

torontoml

Sansa just seems stupid to me, she is playing the game like a princess/queen would yet does not see any of the benefits, there is nothing holding her there other than her own pride to be a queen.

There are no repercussions that would happen if she left that would not happen regardless, seeing as her brother is on the march to kings landing.

Sansa is very well done as far as her character. Seen her change so much over the 2 seasons, and I hope to see her change further. She is irritating though, but she's a 14 year old girl.

I like Bran also. He's a smart kid and is being a good leader.

51195L01c_PLU_1-Sht_v8-560x829.jpg

Bran?

torontoml

From the beginning of book 1 to somewhere around a third of the way into Part 1 of ASoS, two years have passed.

I know we aren't supposed to have book talk be its only time line stuff. I have only read the first book so far and it had mentioned that it was over a year had past, does the next full book happen in such a short relative time (less than a year) compared to the length of the book to the other books?

J-Rod

Sansa fawning over joffrey when she didn't know shit about the world isn't worth hating her for. I'm sure she regrets that deeply and now is doing a pretty good job staying alive. Even Tyrion commended her for that much. I doubt she has any aspirations to be queen and is not trying to play the game. Most likely she just wants to get the fuck out of that craziness in one piece.

torontoml

Then why didn't she leave with clegane, he has really done nothing but protect her. Sure she is afraid of him but I think that is fairly superficial and comes down to his burnt face and enjoyment for battle.

Rorschach

Sansa fawning over joffrey when she didn't know shit about the world isn't worth hating her for. I'm sure she regrets that deeply and now is doing a pretty good job staying alive. Even Tyrion commended her for that much. I doubt she has any aspirations to be queen and is not trying to play the game. Most likely she just wants to get the fuck out of that craziness in one piece.

It wasn't the fawning before. It was the stubbornness after and she sold her father out because she wanted to be queen. That and how much of a bitch she was to Arya. :D

J-Rod

My guess is that she was too scared.

Why do you think her pride to be queen is keeping her there when she fist pumped the moment it was decided she in fact would not be queen?

Edit: Yeah, I hated her then too when she did that stuff, but I still think it was her being naive at the time.

torontoml

Guess you may be right about being queen, but she is still stupid for staying. If she really wants to leave I'm sure she could, after all she has seen the scared little girl shouldn't really be there anymore IMO.

Massa

All signs pointed to Stannis winning the battle, which would be much safer for her than travelling all the way back North with just the Hound.

In season 1 Cat was traveling with Tyrion and they were attacked. Then Bronn was with Tyrion and they were also attacked. It's not exactly a safe road.

Flash

exactly, stannis would not have done anything to Sansa... Starks are only interested in getting the Lannisters out of Kings Landing. If anything, didn't Ned actually support Stannis' claim to the throne?

Joni

exactly, stannis would not have done anything to Sansa... Starks are only interested in getting the Lannisters out of Kings Landing. If anything, didn't Ned actually support Stannis' claim to the throne?

Indeed, Ned thought Stannis to be the true king, and she has no way of knowing that Rob and Stannis don't get along. And even if she knew Stannis would take her 'hostage' (I presume he would use her as leverage against Rob), she knew he would treat her honorably.

Cyan

Banned
It wasn't the fawning before. It was the stubbornness after and she sold her father out because she wanted to be queen. That and how much of a bitch she was to Arya. :D

Eh. Unless I'm misremembering, she didn't really sell her father out. She was just trying to get them to spare his life. As for being a bitch to Arya... well, yeah. Sisters.

Watched the finale at last. While the previous episode was better (I mean, what could possible top it?), this had so, so many great moments, and so many moving ones

- The argument between Robb and his mother -you can see how heartbroken he feels
- The double Tyrion/Robb wedding scene, that almost moved me to tears

- The House of the Undying scene. God damn the foretelling of King's Landing covered in ice, and then the reunion of somewhere between dream/illusion/inbetween life and death of Drogo and Danny. That was some incredible fantasy stuff

- Jaqen's Vallar Morgulis scene. I chocked, this is the cool character I remember in the books and one of the big mysteries of the series.

- The scene with the white walkers, I still dislike the zombie aesthetic of the wights, but that white walker was seriously cool and very close in some of his features in what I remember of the books.

All in all, an amazing ending, well done.

Massa

I love this quote from Jason Momoa (Khal Drogo) from when season 1 wrapped up:

“There’s a possibility you’ll see me do him again, It’s a fantasy world, sweetheart. I wrote some scenes and they might try to use them. George (R.R. Martin) can only write so much. Something could happen. Drogo could have a twin. You never know!”

Everyone just assumed he was joking!

Jonm1010

Banned
Yeah, Bran's alright.

What could you possibly see in Sansa? I hated her from the start, but especially after her rant about how she was going to give Joffrey a million babies or whatever. The only moment where I was like "oh shit, I might start liking her" was when she looked down that ledge and then looked at Joffrey. I thought she'd start taking shots at offing him, but nope. She's completely useless as anything other than a welcome mat to wipe one's feet on.

She was 14, naive and had a bad case of princess syndrome. She deserves series death because of that? Come on now.

What has she done at all in season 2 that could make her loathed to the point of wanting death for her character? The only thing I can think of is her initial reaction to shaye but given what she had experienced only moments before is fairly understandable. Outside of that she's grown leaps and bounds and has certainly earned at least a degree of sympathy given her circumstance and her only real crimes in life being naive and immature.

I hated Sansa early season 1, but that is not the Sansa that exists anymore.

spirity

She was 14, naive and had a bad case of princess syndrome. She deserves series death because of that? Come on now.

What has she done at all in season 2 that could make her loathed to the point of wanting death for her character? The only thing I can think of is her initial reaction to shaye but given what she had experienced only moments before is fairly understandable. Outside of that she's grown leaps and bounds and has certainly earned at least a degree of sympathy given her circumstance and her only real crimes in life being naive and immature.

I hated Sansa early season 1, but that is not the Sansa that exists anymore.

What has she done at all in season 2 that could make her loathed to the point of wanting death for her character?

What has she done at all in season 2

What has she done at all

She's a doormat. She hasn't grown at all, you don't see her doing anything but hide the fact she wants out. And that has wore out its welcome now. Either she does something interesting or she needs to go. I'm tired of the doormat routine, it isn't going anywhere interesting and its been dragging on for far too long.

I've come around on Sansa more and more, but really, her role is just to be our eyes and ears of a Stark at King's Landing.

She could have died, and the story wouldn't be impacted much.

this morning I woke up thinking "oh yes new GoT aired last night!" only to come to the slow horrifying realization that I can't watch a new GoT till next year :((((((

Jonm1010

Banned

What should she have done? What could she have done?

She's survived and matured despite one of the most horrendous situations a human being could be put in. Engaged to a truly evil man that killed her father and will impregnate her. Surrounded by family that would rather her dead. With a future that makes death seem like a better alternative

I'd say if nothing else she earned at least a bit of sympathy and perhaps at least a the hope that at least a minor bit of goodwill will be handed to her one day.
She's a doormat. She hasn't grown at all, you don't see her doing anything but hide the fact she wants out. And that has wore out its welcome now. Either she does something interesting or she needs to go. I'm tired of the doormat routine, it isn't going anywhere interesting and its been dragging on for far too long.

I'm not sure how you can say she hasn't grown. I'm actually baffled. It's a lot more nuanced than some characters but she has gone from a whiny, naive, immature girl to someone who has learned the cruelties of the world and been woken up.

At times you see glimpses of her beginning to put the pieces together and absorb how this game is played. The facades needed to survive. The tools available to her to sway the king and others. Shes certainly at an absorption phase of her development but that is growth considering where she was before.

And I mean what other realistic direction could one go given her scenario? Of course she's a doormat. But that scenario is exactly why she's growing and has grown.

I'd say if nothing else she earned at least a bit of sympathy and perhaps at least a the hope that at least a minor bit of goodwill will be handed to her one day.

AH HAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHA

P.S. The way this series has been going, I wouldn't be surprised if Westeros sinks into a sea of spikes and zombie babies.

JGS

Banned
I've come around on Sansa more and more, but really, her role is just to be our eyes and ears of a Stark at King's Landing.

She could have died, and the story wouldn't be impacted much.
That's really every Stark but Robb. Sansa has more influence on the story than her sister. It almost always boils down to who we like.

Famassu

She's a doormat. She hasn't grown at all, you don't see her doing anything but hide the fact she wants out. .
She's clearly grown during season 2. You'd have to be blind not to see it. She's a bit of a doormat, yes, but what do you think she can do in her situation? Get too cocky and she'll surely suffer for it. Still, she's grown from the airheaded princess into a much wiser girl. She just can't do anything by herself.

Ferrio

Banned
She's clearly grown during season 2. You'd have to be blind not to see it. She's a bit of a doormat, yes, but what do you think she can do in her situation? Get too cocky and she'll surely suffer for it. Still, she's grown from the airheaded princess into a much wiser girl. She just can't do anything by herself.

Yep, she's just playing the game now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom