• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Rest for the Wicked PC system requirements seem peculiarly demanding

S0ULZB0URNE

Super disingenuous. Just because CP2077 released a conceptual trailer in 2013 doesn't mean the development started then and everyone knew it. It's been used a benchmark because Nvidia partners with them for all their newest technologies.

Cyberpunk 2077 full development reportedly didn’t start until 2016

You wanna "current gen" comparison, fine how about Alan Wake 2?

Did I expect 2020 hardwares to run a "2025" $40 dollar indie game at 4k 120 fps? The specs they required is simply to run at 1080p, imagine defending this crap and call people crying, smh.
Nobody actually believes this when it was shown so long ago lmao.

Now we mention Alan Wake 2.
Good lets spin away that foolishness you been saying.

bumpkin

Based on ori, they use unity
The “Moonity” engine as they call it. They got access to the source code and heavily modified the pipelines for their purposes. It’s how they got both Ori games running on Switch at 60fps with almost no visual compromises (if any).

KXVXII9X

are you for real? it does NOT look that great at all from a purely raw graphical fidelity perspective.
There are a lot of physics and stuff happening at once. It may be stylized but it is more busy than most modern games in things happening at once. Sadly, it doesn't seem all that optimized and runs like a slideshow...

Larxia

They jump from a GTX 970 in their "performance mode" to a 3070ti in quality mode... That doesn't make much sense lol I imagine their quality mode is incredibly unoptimized and the performance mode will look really bad.

Bojji

Hopefully it's better optimized now if those are old requirements because holy shit if not...

It's on fucking unity so it will run like shit no matter the hardware.

Full team was developing W3 up to 2015, then a lot of staff was doing expansions for it. Full production for CP started probably ~ late 2016, game was released in 2020.

Fbh

Well it IS early access, hopefully they can improve things by the time the game is done (and hopefully the console version isn't a mess). If you don't want to play unpolished games don't buy early access releases.

Idk what half of you are on. Game looks stunning visually, just like their last two games. Can't wait for it. There's no scenario where I don't buy it 1.0, so may as well get in cheaper with early access.

That's the thing though. Ori looked stunning and the recommended GPU was a 970. It ran great even on my old 1050ti laptop.
This new game looks even better and seems to be doing more complex things overall (it's not in 2D for starters), but I'm also not seeing the sort of visual evolution that would justify needing such a big jump in hardware to get only 1080p/60. A 3070ti can run a lot of modern AAA games at like 1440p60.

clarky

Gold Member
Shits in early access for a reason.

Spot the console peeps in the thread.

Anyone play Baldur's gate 3 in EA or any other EA title for that matter?

Dev's cut loose from MS and that game pass money, obviously they need the early access cash to keep the lights on.

are you for real? it does NOT look that great at all from a purely raw graphical fidelity perspective.

Game looks amazing, like Ori before it, absolutely beautiful. What are you smoking?

S0ULZB0URNE

It's on fucking unity so it will run like shit no matter the hardware.

Full team was developing W3 up to 2015, then a lot of staff was doing expansions for it. Full production for CP started probably ~ late 2016, game was released in 2020.
Full or partial is still production.
Regardless... the initial point is that it's a cross gen game.

Reallink

Seems like the game's a stinker, 60% mixed on Steam. Chief complaints are context based controls being mapped to 1 button (which is also dodge), and they're apparently trying to make durability a survival sim mechanic (gotta get them Zoomer Twitch fad of the month bucks). Seems like they failed at the Diablo Darksouls they been trying to bill it as.

Last edited:

Duchess

Unity you say? Is there any graphically impressive game based on Unity? I don't recall.
I believe that Oddworld Soulstorm uses Unity, and was actually meant to sort of act for a showcase for the engine's new capabilities at the time. It was mentioned in a Digital Foundry video.

My own opinion on Unity is that it's good for indie / smaller titles, but for anything heavy weight or demanding, you should really look to Unreal Engine.

GHG

Shits in early access for a reason.

Spot the console peeps in the thread.

Anyone play Baldur's gate 3 in EA or any other EA title for that matter?

Dev's cut loose from MS and that game pass money, obviously they need the early access cash to keep the lights on.

Game looks amazing, like Ori before it, absolutely beautiful. What are you smoking?

When BG3 launched in EA it was in a much better state than this is in, it also had far more content.

There's early access and then there's stuff like this which frankly should never make it to the public, particularly not if they are going to ask for money at least.

Having said that, there are certain companies who in recent times have had no issues releasing games in this state (or worse) as a full release. So at least they are being somewhat honest here, not that it helps in the grand scheme of things.

The bar gets lower all the time.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

So, it's not a total Souls-like. You don't drop souls, you just lose durability, more like Diablo than DS in that regard. Enemies don't respawn either. Loot respawns though. Idk is in all areas, but the first chest behind the first breakable wall respawned its loot.

-oops, meant to post this in the OT.

Last edited:

Talked all the false facts about CP2077 got called out but doesn't matter, as long as I believe my delusional thoughts! What a great post!

Now the game's steam reviews are out and it's a hot mess optimizations. Looks like no hardware could run your "2025 current gen" game well. Obviously those peasants don't deserve PC gaming at all! Please go on, I'll be really impressed to see how you are gonna spin this craps.

S0ULZB0URNE

Talked all the false facts about CP2077 got called out but doesn't matter, as long as I believe my delusional thoughts! What a great post!

Now the game's steam reviews are out and it's a hot mess optimizations. Looks like no hardware could run your "2025 current gen" game well. Obviously those peasants don't deserve PC gaming at all! Please go on, I'll be really impressed to see how you are gonna spin this craps.
Runs great

8MNtOjy.gif

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Game is written in Unity, where performance was never a particularly strong point.
It's using Unity as it's renderer. The underlying physics for example are based on another engine separate from the renderer so the game "feels" good regardless of renderer framerate cuz that's running at a different rate anyway.

Though saying written in engine x is weird either which way, cuz Unity is/was C# so more accurately you would have said written in C# though I doubt they actually coded this game is C#.....but maybe.
Unity you say? Is there any graphically impressive game based on Unity? I don't recall.
They've mentioned it already that they are using unity as a base for the renderer but it's tweaked far enough that it isn't just Unity.
They have their own internal name for the engine even if the credits will say Unity.

ON TOPIC
Absolutely stunning game.
I know moon get same hate for workplace environment and all that jazz, but no doubt their mastery at artstyles is somewhere beyond.

I was wondering why the games isometric view was still able to give a sense of depth so clearly, them bending the whole game world to ensure you still get horizons is genius....dunno how I never clocked it.

And I'm always a sucker for good dynamic fluid simulations.....If your game has those I immediately give you a pass for having high system requirements.

Honorable mention for the dynamic lighting too.....umph, this game gonna be good.

Top Bottom