• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noclip is putting together a Blacklist

ShinNL

EbO4xv9WoAEkMj2

Can we cancel him?

An absolutely disgusting human being who tries to gain and abuse their position of power while pretending to fight for justice, the very same injustice they're the embodiment of? Gosh, I have never seen that before.

TriSuit666

Banned
I'm not saying this stuff isn't illegal. I have no idea, really. However, if it does violate some sort of law, it doesn't seem to be the one you linked, which clearly defines just what kind of list will land you in hot water:

Look, it's irrelevant. A blacklist is a blacklist. PERIOD. It's a way to gatekeep access into an industry.

Legislation was brought in to stop the very thing Danny is suggesting. You are denying a person's ability to work based on some spurious reason other than their ability to perform the job required.

Danny is also suggesting others follow his lead, thereby levereging his perceived 'influence' in the industry.

And as I've already mentioned, the State Law where Danny is, is even more strict.

It also wasn't compiled to discriminate in relation to recruitment or the treatment of workers.

Wrong. That is precisely his intent.

Last edited:
Look, it's irrelevant. A blacklist is a blacklist. PERIOD. It's a way to gatekeep access into an industry.
If it's irrelevant, why did you post it in the first place? And what industry is he denying people access to? You're making the guy sound like he's the God-Emperor of the video game industry. All he does is make low budget documentaries about games, and they're not even all that good.

You are denying a person's ability to work based on some spurious reason other than their ability to perform the job required.
Who is he denying the chance or ability to work except himself? He is the one choosing not to collaborate with certain companies. He is the one who ends up with fewer work opportunities.

Danny is also suggesting others follow his lead, thereby levereging his perceived 'influence' in the industry.
I don't see how this is any different than what thousands of other people are doing: asking people not to do business with known abusers or those sheltering them. I don't think this is illegal.

And as I've already mentioned, the State Law where Danny is, is even more strict.
Even more strict than what? That law you posted from a country the guy doesn't even live in that seems to have absolutely no bearing on this case? That's a pretty low bar to clear.

sn0man

Also, to use the parlance of our times, isn’t the term ‘blacklist’ problematic?
With no humor or joking about it. If a person is going to swing a list around of “bad” people and they think it’s a high and mighty powerful situation.... they really should learn a bad list, naughty list, or a undesirable list.

PhoenixTank

Legislation was brought in to stop the very thing Danny is suggesting. You are denying a person's ability to work based on some spurious reason other than their ability to perform the job required.
Both A and B are required for the law you cited to apply, and his reasoning has nothing to do with trade unions (A). Being part of a trade union is a very specific and important reason for both the potential discriminator and discriminated. Not a blanket law.
Is it that hard to admit you cited something without understanding it? Not a sign of weakness to do so, more like growth.
There is enough bullshit floating around lately - be better than the people that throw accusations and jump to conclusions on Twitter.

angelic

Banned
Bit of an own goal there Daniel, who'd have thought.

Keep your politics out of your work, else you'll instantly lose 50% of your audience. These people are incredibly thick.

Shmunter

Yeah, good plan. Make some vacancies open so his friends can try to get in lol
JWpHG2q.jpg
I think she spoke against the abuse she received working for the holy woke mother Zoe Quinn. Pretty much untouchable after blasphemous conduct. Happy to be corrected otherwise.

Edit: it may have been Anita Suckeasian

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
I think she spoke against the abuse she received working for the holy woke mother Zoe Quinn. Pretty much untouchable after blasphemous conduct. Happy to be corrected otherwise.
Have absolutely no idea who is she, but guy is promoting her while trying to cancel other ppl.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
How about they just let the people involved, and if needs be the courts, handle it amongst themselves? Why is an entertainment company related to video games, of all things, trying to be some kind of commercial vigilante?

What's really funny is Danny will probably be hit with some accusation from an overly emotional person who feels that she was wronged somehow, and either get cancelled or apologize profusely for months for basic human behavior (like hitting on someone).

I unsubscribed after being there since day one. The videos started great with the DOOM docu, then the lengthy HL retrospective and others. But then they just started making boring content, I cant put my finger on it but anyone from Ars Technica docu captures my attention for minutes by talking about a MIDI file while NoClip really doesnt know how to ask proper questions. Ive read about him doing and saying dumb shit but now Im done. Its crowdfunded, you had the support in every way, now the people you interviewed you basically said "if you fucked up somewhere, I will find you, I will let everyone know and ill never interview you again". Id love to see how this will affect their YT subs.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
So he's making a blacklist of people who have been accused of shit on Twitter with no evidence, proof, going through the proper legal channels, etc.? If so, wow.

Except for The Witcher III video from them, I have never bothered with No Clip.

TriSuit666

Banned
Both A and B are required for the law you cited to apply, and his reasoning has nothing to do with trade unions (A). Being part of a trade union is a very specific and important reason for both the potential discriminator and discriminated. Not a blanket law.
Is it that hard to admit you cited something without understanding it? Not a sign of weakness to do so, more like growth.
There is enough bullshit floating around lately - be better than the people that throw accusations and jump to conclusions on Twitter.

As I said originally, if he’d had said this where UK law applies he would have a problem, however, and if you look in that fucking Twitter thread, someone has quoted US law at him for the state he’s in, and the law there IS blanket provision.

Look, blacklists are morally, ethically (and yes, in some cases legally) wrong and non-defensible in my view, as someone who works in an industry where they were a thing (but thankfully not anymore), you won’t convince me otherwise, and anyone trying to pedantically dance around it is as bad as O’Dywer.

Last edited:
You better watch out, you better not cry
You better not pout, I'm telling you why
Danny boy is coming to town!

He's making a list, he's checking it twice
Gonna find out who's naughty or nice
Danny boy is coming to town!

He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake!

small_law

Whats going on with Destiny?
Oh man. Last weekend, a streamer was accused of improper conduct, another streamer was found out to have engaged in blatant network manipulation, and two very popular streamers disassociated with a sponsor over allegations of improper conduct with a young woman.

I'm saying my words soft and tender here. A lot of the stuff is only accusations and I don't want to pile on. The BSK stuff is the most interesting. There's definitely videos on YouTube about what happened.

In other words, set aside about a half hour and take a deep dive. It's wild.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It stinks of McCarthyism.

Fuck you Danny. Congrats on proving yourself a worse human being than the people you go after.

ShadowNate

Just to clarify, I have no problem with the term either. I find it really silly that Google is doing that -- apparently because the word "black" is attributed a negative meaning in "blacklist". It has nothing to do with race or racism. It's way too far from an actual issue and it's in no way promoting or celebrating racism.

This idiotic overreaction should by the way set off a hilarious discussion of why not changing other words or phrases that use the word black to describe something negative. Like a blackout or the black market.

I'm ending my delirium here.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Apparently the term "blacklist" list originates from the papers of Charles II, where he compiled a list of regicides of his father. Some of the names on the list got got after the Restoration.

PhoenixTank

As I said originally, if he’d had said this where UK law applies he would have a problem,
No, he wouldn't or at least not because of that law. Just repeating something again and again does not make it magically ring true without at least adding something of substance.

if you look in that fucking Twitter thread, someone has quoted US law at him for the state he’s in, and the law there IS blanket provision.
I found one quoting Maine state law, apparently. This one?

Kinda funny since he doesn't live in Maine either. Twitter profile suggests as much.
If you meant another, my apologies, but I'll hope you'll forgive me for not wanting to delve too deep into Twitter replies, or Twitter in general.
You're welcome to be specific.

Look, blacklists are morally, ethically (and yes, in some cases legally) wrong and non-defensible in my view, as someone who works in an industry where they were a thing (but thankfully not anymore), you won’t convince me otherwise, and anyone trying to pedantically dance around it is as bad as O’Dywer.
I'm not trying to convince you of the morals or ethics at all. Just that you:
  • Googled up some bullshit and didn't verify the UK law actually meant what you wanted it to.
  • Read some more bullshit on twitter, didn't verify it applied.
  • Have been called out on it, are digging your heels in and apparently won't admit it.
Frankly, I think posting publicly about a blacklist, as he has done, is a very douchey move. Argument could be had that it is actual virtue signalling instead of just getting on with it via email. Depending on the criteria it is no more reprehensible than employers refusing someone because they are an ex-felon, but I'm not a huge fan of that in the US either.
Pedantry is a massive part of the law, from where I sit.

Thing is, he is in California, and I get the impression that they probably have the toughest labour protections for workers, meaning that there may well be robust provisions against blacklisting in that state.
My cursory glance seems to suggest it would revolve around a former employer denying re-employment. I don't think that applies in this case unless those blacklisted have been employed by O'Dwyer, but perhaps that may apply to agencies and employers if they have had employed/dismissed a now blacklisted person.
Of note, there is a summary on the 2019 Labor law in CA that includes:
An employer will now be permitted to reveal in a job reference whether an individual is not eligible for rehire because the employer determined that he/she engaged in sexual harassment.
I've not verified the Californian labor code in any great detail, just cursory, but I'm telling you as such. I welcome corrections and further information.
Devil is in the details, as they say.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin

Internal black lists are totally fine

Credit industry in Amurica has one for reporting agencies and lenders and stuff; totally fine and legal
I used to work for a company where I had to regularly check that list when creating new accounts for companies requesting credit reports

You break your ToS with any of the report providers, or the agencies themselves?
Black listed from all 3 major ones.

The act of the black list itself isn't illegal; you can get black listed from working in say, bartending, because you pissed off a large bar and word got around to other bar owners that you're a shit head bar tender

PhoenixTank PhoenixTank hit it right on the head, really

Either way; the act of pointing at someone and saying "YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL!" is childish
If they're doing something illegal, the adult thing to do would be to notify the proper authorities (Labor boards, trade boards, etc)
With that, you would need to bring evidence of the list, how it has been used to harm others, and how it did harm others; so you would need testimony from those individuals, with proof, as well as the list, with proof, or at least enough substantial evidence to have a subpoena to search for the list
And subpoena's have to be VERY VERY specific, those scenes in movies where they're tossing houses then just leave and you have to clean everything up is false. It has to be worded in ways like "Top dresser draw in master bed room," etc

The dudes an idiot, and may have talked about doing something unethical/illegal; no crime has been committed civil or criminal
And if he does do it?
Burden of proof is on the victim in this type of case

Top Bottom