• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD/Circana US March 2023: PS5 #1 (now ahead of PS4 when aligned), RE4#1, MLB#3 and TLOU #5

Smoke6

Better studios than Xbox one. they own Bethesda, ninja theory and obsidian. they will also own Activision if it gets approved, which should see them around 90m.

They have gamepass with day1 games, they are pushing hard for 3rd party deals.

All these are factors for higher sales.
Bro, none of that shit has done anything positive for them. Most gamers are already moving on and away from anything activision and are even pumping the hell out of xdefiant!

More studios will be formed due to these aquisitions, and we’ll be back at square one and game pass subs won’t ever get above 25m mark!

The writing’s on the wall chief, no one cares for Xbox anymore and neither does MS or Bethesda since there games have been running better on PlayStation and MS owns them!

Ronin_7

It's 30m console difference. Not 50+m difference.

That is achievable numbers. 80+m is a realistic numbers for this current Xbox.

If we estimate the current to be a round 30m XBS, then MS will need to sell 50m consoles during these remaining period. That is estimate of 12.5m a year for 4 years or 10m a year for 5 years.

That is achievable Target.
It isn't.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is Microsoft planning to react or ...? What is the story here ?

Phil should be fired with immediate effect
Just buy more storied 3rd party publishers and play takeaway; trying to make the competition smaller.
Mean Girls Halloween GIF

Last edited:

feynoob

Bro, none of that shit has done anything positive for them. Most gamers are already moving on and away from anything activision and are even pumping the hell out of xdefiant!

More studios will be formed due to these aquisitions, and we’ll be back at square one and game pass subs won’t ever get above 25m mark!

The writing’s on the wall chief, no one cares for Xbox anymore and neither does MS or Bethesda since there games have been running better on PlayStation and MS owns them!
Sorry, forum is not indication of real world.
Your idea is only good if those gamers were on forums.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Not in the US they didn't.

I stand corrected!

It was never a competition.

You can't sell a lot of consoles after a bad period.

Xbox needs this Gen to sort Xbox one issues.

Their estimated lifetime would be around 80m-90m.

Bahahahaha

Not happening. I mean sure Series will somehow hit 360 levels. Somehow. Even though it’s looking worse than Xbox one. But it will somehow. Neogaf Believe assemble

Last edited:

jzosa

That is achievable numbers. 80+m is a realistic numbers for this current Xbox.

If we estimate the current to be a round 30m XBS, then MS will need to sell 50m consoles during these remaining period. That is estimate of 12.5m a year for 4 years or 10m a year for 5 years.

That is achievable Target.
That 30M is a very, very generous estimate. How have they sold that much when all we’ve been hearing is they have shortages? Any legitimate data and reason for the estimate?

At this point of the PS4 life Sony didn’t even own many of the studios they do now either. I mean Spider Man 2018 still wasn't revealed.
Most Sony studios haven't released a single PS5 exclusive game that actually sells consoles yet. That's what's so crazy. They are pulling these numbers but i feel like Sony's own studios aren't even doing most of the work now. Demon's Souls, Ratchet and Returnal aren't huge system sellers.

I feel like Spider-Man 2 might be the first real one that's exclusive, not coming out on PS4 as well...

The fact Sony has marketing rights and has managed to tie most big IPs to their console has worked wonders for them early this gen: COD, Fortnite, Fifa, GTAV, Hogwarts Legacy, all Marvel properties not made by their studios, and then smaller IPs like Final Fantasy, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, etc has been working wonders for them. There's also the Avatar game as well.

They are selling like this, but when you think about it, they aren't even trying that much yet. Imagine once they do, with a cheaper SKU on sale and their studios firing on all cylinders...plus their usual 3rd party partnerships.

What? PS5 was at 30M in December dude...Series S was estimated to be at around 20M by then.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Xbox being #2 in dollars suggests that Series X supply is better, because I don't see a chance where Series S is outselling the Switch by enough to make Xbox #2 in dollar sales.

Even so, lagging in 3rd for units has to be at least a bit concerning for MS at this point since the US is their biggest market. If this continues they will lose even more market share to PlayStation 5 once the year is over. I think they lost 2% last time for 2022? They could lose another 4 - 5% this year if the trajectory continues. And that's aside from how things are playing out in the UK, Europe, Japan, and ROTW.

I would just say batten down the hatches at this point because Xbox is in for a rough ride this gen, although that was probably obvious by now months ago.

With their current pace, 130m seems to be the target.
Would be a historical if they hit 150m. One can hope so.

I still doubt it. PS2 sold like 30+ million after PS3 but keep in mind PS3 launched in a REALLY rough state. PS2 was uniquely positioned as a great bargain system still getting new big games, for those who thought PS3 was too expensive, 360 outside of their comfort zone (brand-wise), and Wii not suiting their tastes.

I think PS5 lifetime sales will probably max out around 135 million, but there's a good chance I could be wrong.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"But covid"
"But we'll only see the results of the investments in 10 years"
"Hardware sales don't matter anymore"
"Halo had 20 millions players the first week so it's a success"

These are some of the reasons as to why he hasn't been fired yet.
He's the cult of personality for the most fanatical online, he won't ever be fired. If anything, they will ease in a new face, he will move up in the executive ranks, but they won't be that stupid to cold turkey their brand's mascot.

solidus12

Dude, it's a simple process.

Xbox one, with small studios, bad rep, low content sold 51+m life time sale.

Xbox this Gen has 23 studios, and will properly own Activision/blizzard. Has gamepass. Plus MS full backing in term of spending.

It's not a wishful thinking. Do all these mean nothing? Do you really think it will be another Xbox one?
Also, PlayStation is leading the Niche Console Market next to Nintendo. Xbox is positioned to lead the Gaming Market with Game Pass, more ways to play & the best First Party Games! Let's add ABK.

/s

feynoob

He's the cult of personality for the most fanatical online, he won't ever be fired. If anything, they will ease in a new face, he will move up in the executive ranks, but they won't be that stupid to cold turkey their brand's mascot.
He is the definition of going upwards.

At least I am enjoying the miserable state of his favorite club (Chelsea).

It's not a wishful thinking.

Their bad gen with Xbox one had 50+m sales.

It's logical that their good year sells a good amount of consoles.

X360 sold 85m (??) from 30+m OG Xbox.

It's possible that they hit 80m.

360 got a big boost from Kinect, though, otherwise I think 360 sales would have tapped out closer to 70 - 75 million. Without the RROD as well, probably 65 - 70 million. Keep in mind it was around 40 million by sometime 2009, maybe a bit more before the Kinect dropped.

I don't see Xbox Series having a Kinect moment this gen. MS probably thought Game Pass would be that, but it isn't. And MS are facing tougher competition from both Sony and Nintendo than they did with XBO or even the 360 in ways. I think Xbox Series will be fortunate to hit 65 million this gen at their current pace, and that depends on some things picking up on the software front. If they have an explosion of banger software and at least some of them find room to have market success, maybe that can increase to 70 million.

The only way they can hit 80 million is if the aforementioned happens AND they actually release another Series system like Project Keystone that gets rolled up into the Series consoles of hardware sales.

Imtjnotu

PS5 is officially over 40 million units.

PS5 didn't sell 40 million till may 2016. Shipped 40 million in March 2016

Sanepar

It's not a wishful thinking.

Their bad gen with Xbox one had 50+m sales.

It's logical that their good year sells a good amount of consoles.

X360 sold 85m (??) from 30+m OG Xbox.

It's possible that they hit 80m.
They are selling less every month. Cod will be on ps5 and ps6. Next diablo is 10 years away. They will sell 50m or less this gen. Probably less.

Its over for the high end console market this gen, Sony takes it easily..which was always going to be the case...But microsoft better have the best June showcase theyve ever had or this Gen will be worse than xbox one and thats a traversty when you look at the hardware and game pass etc.

They need to sort their first party out put or they are funked!

It's already worse than Xbox One if you consider now they are selling TWO consoles at TWO very different price points...

Mahavastu

Xbox one, with small studios, bad rep, low content sold 51+m life time sale.

Xbox this Gen has 23 studios, and will properly own Activision/blizzard. Has gamepass. Plus MS full backing in term of spending.

It's not a wishful thinking. Do all these mean nothing? Do you really think it will be another Xbox one?
While your not wrong, currently it looks like all these studio games are coming at a time when the generation is already lost.
Anyway, if they show they reliable deliver games this gen, maybe next gen things are different?

Crazy what lifetime numbers the PS5 would already have if it would have been available everywhere since launch. But lets see if the trend slows down or if the next couple months continue to show similar records.

Top Bottom