• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2021 - US Results

S0ULZB0URNE

Gaming is alive and well.

gdKq54T.jpg

MrFunSocks

Banned
Everyone is having stock issues. That still doesn't change the fact that Sony ships more units worldwide which means less stock in certain regions.

You're saying if there were no stock issues, Xbox would have sold more than the PS5 in the US and UK in December?
I’m saying that the facts are that Sony came last in the December NPD reports, and anything outside of that is meaningless speculation. Most of this forum was predicting Sony to annihilate everyone in this NPD.

Not sure why you’re talking about worldwide, this is NPD. The 360 outsold the PS3 every month in NPD despite the PS3 selling more worldwide every year.

There's a reason why NPD is popular among gamers online. lol

Yeah, for the same reason DigitalFoundry is so popular, and why exclusives get infinitely more attention than similar quality 3rd party games

Tell that to the people who bought Wii U.

Are any of the consoles in danger of being discontinued or abandoned? No? Then no they don't matter and haven't mattered since then. It's a pretty disingenuous response given how the consoles have been selling since last gen

Topher

Gold Member
Are any of the consoles in danger of being discontinued or abandoned? No? Then no they don't matter and haven't mattered since then. It's a pretty disingenuous response given how the consoles have been selling since last gen

It is a fair point to say that we are not in a similar situation right now, but Wii U wasn't that long ago. It isn't disingenuous at all as an example of how, factually, sales do matter. Xbox One is another good example. Its sales were decent, but Xbox dropped down 30 million units or so from Xbox 360 and that's when the "don't matter" narrative began. I just don't think the importance of sales need to be referred to in absolute terms. They DO matter, but this gen they don't matter as much as they typically have because everything is sold out.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I’m saying that the facts are that Sony came last in the December NPD reports, and anything outside of that is meaningless speculation. Most of this forum was predicting Sony to annihilate everyone in this NPD.

Not sure why you’re talking about worldwide, this is NPD. The 360 outsold the PS3 every month in NPD despite the PS3 selling more worldwide every year.

Noticed how I asked MrFunStocks if XSX would have outsold the PS5 if both didn't have stock issues and he refused to answer the question.

This shows how people just want to argue.. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Noticed how I asked MrFunStocks if XSX would have outsold the PS5 if both didn't have stock issues and he refused to answer the question.

This shows how people just want to argue.. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Are we allowing make believe hypothetical scenarios to be presented as facts now? Would the PS5 have outsold the XSX if Atari and Sega would've never left the console race? What if the video game crash never happened? What if Rome never fell? What if Germany won WW2?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I didn’t refuse to answer, I said that’s speculation and cannot be proven either way.
We already know how PS performs when they have equal and/or enough units in stock. Nothing is meaningless if we have a track record of how consoles perform in a specific region.

Are we allowing make believe hypothetical scenarios to be presented as facts now? Would the PS5 have outsold the XSX if Atari and Sega would've never left the console race? What if the video game crash never happened? What if Rome never fell? What if Germany won WW2?

Make believe?

Don't pretend that we don't have a good understanding how consoles perform in certain regions. That's like saying you're making up some scenarios now that MS has acquired two major publishers. We have a good understanding of how the market works.

Dr Bass

I didn’t refuse to answer, I said that’s speculation and cannot be proven either way.

We have years and years and years of data what happens when stock is not an issue. Given consumer behavior tends to not flip on a dime I think it's pretty easy to extrapolate what would happen if there were no stock issues, and making a comparison of that question to speculating what would happen if "Rome never fell" is pretty darn disingenuous, and you probably know it. The fact "MrFunSocks" responded to your comment with "fire" just shows that you're both either way to deep into console warring or you don't understand the market whatsoever.

THAT SAID. Results do matter and Xbox outsold PS the last two months. I don't care if was a stock issue or not really. If the Series S is really that much easier to make, to the point where it's right now possible to go anywhere and get one off the shelf (as it is here in CA), how is that not a positive thing overall? IMO this just reinforces the fact that the Series S was such a smart move, and MS should stick with it. Frankly, Sony should have done something similar IMO. I keep saying it, but what matters is games/software. The Switch has proven this. The PS platform has also proven it as well. Xbox's lack of success going back to the X1 proves it too! They tried everything but the kitchen sink to garner favor but they just didn't have the games in comparison. I know they are trying to do so now, and we will see how that plays out, but the Series S is just fantastic for people who do not give a rip about 4k, but want access to the software library for the least amount of money. Plays all the same games. Nearly half the price. A visual difference that only gamer nerds like us care about. How is that not massively smart? Switch has again proven that graphics fidelity is not what people care about on the larger market. They want fun and accessibility. Given all that, the PS platform is now the least accessible of all of them, so they really need to keep bringing that software advantage to make it worth the higher barrier to entry.

MrFunSocks

Banned
We have literally zero data about what happens when there are no stock issues this generation. Microsoft have a significantly cheaper console that is proving a hit this year. They’ve been riding on a wave of good news and hype, and just released Halo Infinite which came in 2nd spot in sales for the month despite being on game pass and the multiplayer being completely free to play. They also had Horizon 5 which is one of the most played and biggest games of the year release a few months earlier. They had a fortnite bundle as well.

You cannot say that the PS5 would definitely have outsold the Xbox without stock issues for both consoles. You just can’t.

We have years and years and years of data what happens when stock is not an issue. Given consumer behavior tends to not flip on a dime I think it's pretty easy to extrapolate what would happen if there were no stock issues, and making a comparison of that question to speculating what would happen if "Rome never fell" is pretty darn disingenuous, and you probably know it. The fact "MrFunSocks" responded to your comment with "fire" just shows that you're both either way to deep into console warring or you don't understand the market whatsoever.

THAT SAID. Results do matter and Xbox outsold PS the last two months. I don't care if was a stock issue or not really. If the Series S is really that much easier to make, to the point where it's right now possible to go anywhere and get one off the shelf (as it is here in CA), how is that not a positive thing overall? IMO this just reinforces the fact that the Series S was such a smart move, and MS should stick with it. Frankly, Sony should have done something similar IMO. I keep saying it, but what matters is games/software. The Switch has proven this. The PS platform has also proven it as well. Xbox's lack of success going back to the X1 proves it too! They tried everything but the kitchen sink to garner favor but they just didn't have the games in comparison. I know they are trying to do so now, and we will see how that plays out, but the Series S is just fantastic for people who do not give a rip about 4k, but want access to the software library for the least amount of money. Plays all the same games. Nearly half the price. A visual difference that only gamer nerds like us care about. How is that not massively smart? Switch has again proven that graphics fidelity is not what people care about on the larger market. They want fun and accessibility. Given all that, the PS platform is now the least accessible of all of them, so they really need to keep bringing that software advantage to make it worth the higher barrier to entry.

We have 0 days of data in a world where both consoles aren't severely supply constrained. To act like we can just give Sony the win in a month where Xbox had a major exclusive and tons of momentum, in their most popular country, just because they've been supply constrained (but XSX supply constraints don't matter), makes no sense. I'm not saying Xbox would be winning this gen, or be in the lead overall or anything even in the slightest, but this month, in the US, you think it's some fantasy that Xbox might have won? Also it was an exaggeration, obviously it's a more relevant question than "what if Rome didn't fall", but a hypothetical sale is still not a sale, especially with all the positive stuff that's been happening around Xbox the past year and a half. But I get it, I said a positive thing about Xbox on Neogaf so I must be one of "the green rats".

MrFunSocks

Banned
I remember posts saying console sales don't matter. What happened?
They still don’t to me. Doesn’t mean I can’t make an observation that the usual suspects that crow in every NPD thread that their console came second behind Nintendo have all of a sudden abandoned ship.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
We have 0 days of data in a world where both consoles aren't severely supply constrained. To act like we can just give Sony the win in a month where Xbox had a major exclusive and tons of momentum, in their most popular country, just because they've been supply constrained (but XSX supply constraints don't matter), makes no sense. I'm not saying Xbox would be winning this gen, or be in the lead overall or anything even in the slightest, but this month, in the US, you think it's some fantasy that Xbox might have won? Also it was an exaggeration, obviously it's a more relevant question than "what if Rome didn't fall", but a hypothetical sale is still not a sale, especially with all the positive stuff that's been happening around Xbox the past year and a half. But I get it, I said a positive thing about Xbox on Neogaf so I must be one of "the green rats".

These consoles are just over a year old so you're going to have consumers looking to buy a console this early regardless of what's released. The Xbox Series S launched with just about no major exclusives and the PS5 did. Those consoles would've sold regardless because the consoles are new.

If you think the XSS console is at the level of demand as the PS5, then you really haven't been paying attention to the market at all. If the split between XSS and XSX was 70/30 in favor of the XSS console, then you would have 30% of the consoles that are not in demand in comparison to a console where two SKUs (PS5 disc vs PS5 digital) that are both in very high demand.

You go by the data that we currently have and you believe the XSX/XSS consoles made a major shift in market share prior to the latest acquisition. This is how the market has always been read, but for some reason, you missed this.

Fredrik

Everyone is having stock issues. That still doesn't change the fact that Sony ships more units worldwide which means less stock in certain regions.

You're saying if there were no stock issues, Xbox would have sold more than the PS5 in the US and UK in December?
Nobody knows how things would look without stock issues, we’ve literally just been looking at factory output figures since launch, we actually have no idea if the market want one console more than another yet.

One thing that puzzle me though, why isn’t Nintendo having stock issues??
How have Nintendo managed to secure components to the point they’ve sold the most hardware and managed to launch a new model and still not have supply issues? It takes me 5 seconds to find an OLED Switch if I would want one. For XSX and PS5 I have to use a supply tracker program, or I have to buy from a scalper. It’s weird.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Nonsense. You've got posts arguing about sales and stock issues. That's you "not caring"?

Sure Jan GIF
Again, sure, if you ignore the actual content and context of the posts. I haven't once said that I care about sales figures, or that I want console sales numbers, or that I care which console sells the most in here, have I? Nope. So why do you think I care about sales figures?

What is it with you guys and your attempted gatekeeping? This is the second or third time today one of you usual suspects have tried to "call me out" on ........... posting on a discussion forum? Trying to claim that I'm "emotional" or "triggered" for simply discussing the topics at hand. Why does it bother you so much? If it does, why are you posting in here instead of just ignoring the thread? You're trying for some "gotcha!" that doesn't exist. When someone replies to me, I'll reply back and keep the conversation going. Is that not? You replied to me instead of just moving along, so you clearly care about me having an opinion. Why?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Again, sure, if you ignore the actual content and context of the posts. I haven't once said that I care about sales figures, or that I want console sales numbers, or that I care which console sells the most in here, have I? Nope. So why do you think I care about sales figures?

Because the content and context of your posts explicitly discuss those sales. Such as.....

We have literally zero data about what happens when there are no stock issues this generation. Microsoft have a significantly cheaper console that is proving a hit this year. They’ve been riding on a wave of good news and hype, and just released Halo Infinite which came in 2nd spot in sales for the month despite being on game pass and the multiplayer being completely free to play. They also had Horizon 5 which is one of the most played and biggest games of the year release a few months earlier. They had a fortnite bundle as well.

You cannot say that the PS5 would definitely have outsold the Xbox without stock issues for both consoles. You just can’t.
I assume you meant shortage? Also not sure why that matters. What facts are being ignored?

We know Sony can produce more consoles than MS, and we know that December is always the highest selling month of the year so they want their product on shelves then. People speculated for months that consoles were being held back for December. People also said repeatedly that no one was buying the Series S since it could be found in stock in some stores.

It’s just funny the difference in these threads when the results are Nintendo #1 and Xbox #2. I’ll probably get banned for saying it though.

You can lie to yourself all you want. I'm calling your "not caring" nonsense for what it is.

What is it with you guys and your attempted gatekeeping? This is the second or third time today one of you usual suspects have tried to "call me out" on ........... posting on a discussion forum? Trying to claim that I'm "emotional" or "triggered" for simply discussing the topics at hand. Why does it bother you so much? If it does, why are you posting in here instead of just ignoring the thread? You're trying for some "gotcha!" that doesn't exist. When someone replies to me, I'll reply back and keep the conversation going. Is that not? You replied to me instead of just moving along, so you clearly care about me having an opinion. Why?

Why would I ignore the thread? I'm not the one posting in a thread I'm pretending I don't care about. That's you, not me. It is hilarious that you are whining about "gotchas" when your first post was attempting to do exactly that. You could have looked at this thread title and said "nah, don't care about sales. moving on", but you didn't and actively engaged in the discussion you say you don't care about. You just don't like that I threw it back at you and now you are playing the victim.

If you don't care about sales then stay out of sales threads.

GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Because the content and context of your posts explicitly discuss those sales. Such as.....

You can lie to yourself all you want. I'm calling your "not caring" nonsense for what it is.

Why would I ignore the thread? I'm not the one posting in a thread I'm pretending I don't care about. That's you, not me. It is hilarious that you are whining about "gotchas" when your first post was attempting to do exactly that. You could have looked at this thread title and said "nah, don't care about sales. moving on", but you didn't and actively engaged in the discussion you say you don't care about. You just don't like that I threw it back at you and now you are playing the victim.

If you don't care about sales then stay out of sales threads.

GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
😂 None of those quotes show that I care about sales. They show me talking about reasons why X might sell or what effect Y could have, but I literally could not care less about them giving us sales numbers or how many each sells. A lot of it was also pointing out how the people that do care about sales immensely were very wrong and have since just pretended like NPD reports don’t exist.

Again, you’re looking for gotchas so hard that you’re making up your own narrative. You’re trying so hard you’re ignoring what’s actually being discussed and in what context because you want a quote saying “I care about sales numbers”. You didn’t find one.

*insert self congratulating pwned reaction.gif*

Last edited:

JLB

Banned

In normal stock conditions, playstation would sell considerably more units. It has a much bigger player base and that does not change from one year to the other, no matter how many good news you got.

Top Bottom