• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Destiny 2 down 50% at retail vs. Destiny 1 retail

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Amazing.

Deserved for this crap low content and micro-transactions sh*t .

Damn son
1379398235712.jpg

Bold One

Fucking lmao this hyperbole. Maybe some people felt burned after all the "this is only the beta, the rest will be bigger" when D1 came out and didn't want to buy into vanilla D2? Nah, must be half the dozen whinge thrads daily.

I have never fucked a LMAO before, but I spose this is your first Destiny thread, I have filled the destiny bingo card at least three times already.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
that sucks. personally i'm enjoying D2 way more than i ever did with D1. not including expansions since we haven't actually got D2 expansions yet. D1 was a damn grindfest with so much clutter. It got better with expansions and I can only hope the same happens for D2 as well.

I understand the complaints people have for it but for me it's the better game and can only get better. Can't wait to play through it again on PC. oh and i bought it digitally on PS4. can't remember the last physical game i bought.

Most people I know went from physical to digital. Myself included.

I'm only one, but this is my first day one digital title. I buy all my other games I want day one as physical. Right now I'm full time on it, but will probably slowly turn into pick up and play for 30 minutes or so and play something else.

Anecdotal, but pertaining to myself and a significant number of friends of mine, a lot of us felt burned by how shallow the original base game was and didn't stick around for the DLC or revamps that came with them and certainly had no interest in Destiny 2 as a result.

I entertained getting it on PC, but I was very much on the fence, and am now so disinterested in the entire franchise I anticipate I'll only be hearing about it in passing because I have no reason to want to give it another go, and the same can be said for my friends. Some of them were still willing to give Destiny 2 a shot, but didn't upon realising not enough of us were interested for them to want to invest their time and money.

Yup this is exactly the same for me, and I was day 1 for D1.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Sorry but have you played the game? The Microtransaction are useless and they gave to you nothing worthy the money you spend for and no advantage at all.

ever verse content is definitely not worth paying money for. some of the stuff is cool i guess like sparrows and ships but the rest is just stuff like shaders/mods/ghost skins.

i don't know why i would pay real money when i can just play the game and get a bright engram every time i level up. plus they make it easier because every week you get more Xp for the first 3 levels. the only reason you'd pay real money is if you wanted more. same as Overwatch you get a loot boxes every time you level up but if you want more then you pay real money.

What's astonishing to me was their decision to not release the PC in parallel to consoles now having seen everything. Like at first I thought maybe they knew they had something with D2, so they were hoping to get people to double dip. Now I clearly see that's not the case, and it's going to effect their PC sales HEAVILY. Given that its Destiny, the smart move would have been to wait.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Amazing.

Deserved for this crap low content and micro-transactions sh*t .

Um Shadows of Motor is that way ====>
Wrong thread

If you think content is low and is heavy handed in the MT department, you haven't played the game at all lol

I do think a lot of players were hesitant, the Beta didn't wow them, some pulled the Pre-Order
Also no Legacy version of PS3 and X360 to push those numbers up from 4 different devices, now down to 2. Soon to be 3.
Most now are buying digital, cause the old consoles wouldn't live up to Destiny and it's 55+ GB worth of data

Other games pulled away some players, like PUBG, GTAV Online and the constant stream of updates and other titles

Destiny came in with not much competition but since then, byt in 3 years the industry has shifted a lot and I don't feel Bungie felt other could match their title.

Destiny 2 has problems, issues, that can be addressed quickly, but Bungie is on Bungie time. Most who stay loyal do so cause this title gives them the community that they are now accustomed to

I mean if Destiny 2 OT doesn't reach Destiny OT |45| doesn't mean the title faltered, it's just new stuff to communicate has entered
Most use Discord or LFG sites.
So the OTs are less posted in

If you take that logic, same goes for Destiny 2 as competition, you can't stay on those 3 year old laurels and think players will stick around. Now more than ever people have a huge scope different genres to choose from
People will move to newer stuff, that gives them enjoyment for their time out into the game

Hopefully Bungie learns that in Year 4...

FyreWulff

I didn't expect that much decline...

It's been 3 years since the original came out on 4 platforms, two of which were heavily physical, and is now out on two primarily digital platforms, and a third one which is going to easily be 99.5% digital sales (Battle.net)?

This isn't so much Destiny 2 as a telltale sign physical itself is on the decline.

Sizzel

Wow that number is crazy. Probably need to unpack it. I would imagine a fair amount of buyers realized they were in for the long haul and didn’t want to disc swap. Totally a lurking variable due to the obsessive gameplay Destiny lends itself to. I expect sales numbers to be down, but that seems high. Destiny was the game you were playing everyday and new games cycled in and out here and there. Digital was key.

If I was making a big budget Destiny a-like in the current world of PUBG, I would definitely be watching these numbers like a hawk. Too soon to tell anything and PC hasn’t dropped yet. If I buy, I am buying there instead of PS4 and I am sure others are the same. I don’t think D2 is as high as 50% less successful-more physical media is dying * this is a game that would be “always on”= less boxed copies sold.

Kikorin

Seems a huge drop, but I remember an insane level of hype for Destiny 1 and a lot less for the sequel, so I'm not that much surprised.

someday

Banned
Destiny and Destiny 2 are the few games that I didn't hesitate to buy digitally at release. I almost always buy physical. I've been pretty happy with both games.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Shouldn’t we take Destiny’s digital sales into account as well if we’re going to bring it up for Destiny 2 ?
I mean yeah obviously. We'rd looking at around 10% increase on the top eme end looking at industry wide stats (consider pc makes up a large percentage of those digital ratios and theee's no pc version for D2.

Either way we'rd looking at a substantial drop console wise.

I don't think the delay on pc has been tear beneficial. The hype has definitely come and gone to a casual onlooker.

Behlel

ever verse content is definitely not worth paying money for. some of the stuff is cool i guess like sparrows and ships but the rest is just stuff like shaders/mods/ghost skins.

i don't know why i would pay real money when i can just play the game and get a bright engram every time i level up. plus they make it easier because every week you get more Xp for the first 3 levels. the only reason you'd pay real money is if you wanted more. same as Overwatch you get a loot boxes every time you level up but if you want more then you pay real money.

The fact is that you can grab those item withouth paying a single cent: I've already got by the engram an exotic emoticon and the exotic sparrows and i haven't even bought nothing. Those are only coscmetic things.

Quonny

It's been 3 years since the original came out on 4 platforms, two of which were heavily physical, and is now out on two primarily digital platforms, and a third one which is going to easily be 99.5% digital sales (Battle.net)?

This isn't so much Destiny 2 as a telltale sign physical itself is on the decline.
Were heavily physical, but now primarily digital?

Shouldn't we take Destiny's digital sales into account as well if we're going to bring it up for Destiny 2 ?

Yes. The argument I'd make for it being a large difference though is that D1 launched 3 years ago. That's forever ago in digital sales time. There might be a 15%+ (a stab at a number with nothing to back it up) difference just from that alone.

Also the fact that many like myself learned with games like D1 that you should not buy games like this physically.

And yes I understand at the exact same time that some also learned from D1 that they should not buy D2 at all because it's the worst game ever created. So that will also account for a chunk of that drop.

To discount either (plus other considerations) is just bias at play.

Nabbis

I love this thread. "This game sucks ass, surprise" and "Most of the sales were digital, umadbro?" mostly covers 99% of the content.

geordiemp

Deleted Destiny 2 yesterday after 110 hours on my Titan. Can't stand the bullshit no more.

LOL terrible game, I only played it for 110 hours post.

You will be back for the expansion before Xmas, you know you will.

I wish I could get 110 hours of gaming enjoyment out of every game I buy.

Endo Punk

Destiny 2 being punished for sins of the father 😂 Didn't buy Destiny 1 but my word Destiny 2 is incredible, story eases you in and post game activities like quests, adventure, raids, milestones, strikes it's all so good!

Reading through the last 10 pages, it’s interesting to see the conversation being shifted to “its a service game so it will still be profitable in the long run”

The cnbc article doesn’t mention anything about profitability - it literally just says retail sales are down. I don’t think anyone is really expecting the game to be a bust, but the sales are definitely going to be overall lower than D1. Looking forward to getting some definitive answers from Acti’s quarterly reports so all the back and forth on this can end tbh.

As someone who was super all in on D1 before launch as a long time Bungie fan, felt real burned after buying collectors edition / season pass and have stayed away from D2 completely (I may reconsider when they do the cheap bundles in a year or 2 from now) — it’s not like I want to see them fail on this... but I do think there are lessons for them to learn.

Hopefully they learn the right ones.

Theorry

Reading through the last 10 pages, it's interesting to see the conversation being shifted to ”its a service game so it will still be profitable in the long run"

The cnbc article doesn't mention anything about profitability - it literally just says retail sales are down. I don't think anyone is really expecting the game to be a bust, but the sales are definitely going to be overall lower than D1. Looking forward to getting some definitive answers from Acti's quarterly reports so all the back and forth on this can end tbh.

As someone who was super all in on D1 before launch as a long time Bungie fan, felt real burned after buying collectors edition / season pass and have stayed away from D2 completely (I may reconsider when they do the cheap bundles in a year or 2 from now) — it's not like I want to see them fail on this... but I do think there are lessons for them to learn.

Hopefully they learn the right ones.

But looking at just retail sales isnt selling the whole picture also. So many factors are different compared to 2014 where even last gen was still a part of it. And some people acting like it bombed and saying it deserved it etc. Think the discussion is more also how these retail stats become less relevant every month. :)

Par Score

This thread is pretty much an exact rehash of the UK sales thread from a month ago.

People are still acting like digital sales were invented between the release of Destiny 1 and 2, still resorting to anecdotes in the face of data, etc.

Note the quote from Activision Blizzard about how Destiny 2 sales "surpassed the original's records for engagement and digital sales in launch week." They specifically don't say Destiny 2 sold more than 1, because it didn't.

Theorry

This thread is pretty much an exact rehash of the UK sales thread from a month ago.

People are still acting like digital sales were invented between the release of Destiny 1 and 2, still resorting to anecdotes in the face of data, etc.

Note the quote from Activision Blizzard about how Destiny 2 sales "surpassed the original's records for engagement and digital sales in launch week." They specifically don't say Destiny 2 sold more than 1, because it didn't.

Thats not the point. The point is that OP isnt telling the whole story. Not anymore and there are big other factors at play why its down in retail compared to D1. Its not as simple as "D2 sold 50% less then D1" as some users would like to believe.

FyreWulff

You also ignored the part where Destiny 2 was still the top selling physical release even thought it had a physical portion decline from D1 soooo either the entire industry is in trouble or physical is on the way out

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Good. I have never, in all my years, been as burned by a game purchase as I was by buying Destiny 1 digitally.

Got to be a sizeable chunk of the market that bought the Taken King version and look at this version as "the one you obviously don't buy!". Fuck your expansions.

Bought Destiny 1 digital. Didn't even downloaded the beta for the 2.

Played the beta for Destiny 1, didn't buy the game. Didn't even bother to downloading the beta for the 2nd game and have no interest in the sequel either.

Anecdotal, but there does seem to be less people playing it on my Friends list compared to what I thought it would, comparing it to the first one anyway.

Still can't believe the lacklustre campaign again from Bungie, its mad.

"All of this is playable space, it's real geometry, we could go there now".

Players remember these lies and the many others told.

Fool me once...

FyreWulff

"All of this is playable space, it's real geometry, we could go there now".

Players remember these lies and the many others told.

Fool me once...

Yeah, if you keep repeating this outside of the context it was said in, then you can make pretty much anything sound like a lie.

xviper

Destiny 1 released when consoles (especially PS4) had no good online shooter games, except for Titanfall 1( killed by it's exclusivity) and Halo MCC ( broken matchmaking fucked it up)

and some players found Destiny 1 disappointing because they though it was Halo

so it's pretty normal for the sales to be lower than D1

Deku Tree

You also ignored the part where Destiny 2 was still the top selling physical release even thought it had a physical portion decline from D1 soooo either the entire industry is in trouble or physical is on the way out

I think physical is on the way out to some extent.

But I also think D2 sales overall are massively down from D1. Otherwise Activision would have said otherwise. If D2 sold more than D1 it would have been said.

Activity numbers from destiny tracker put it at around 3.6 million max daily global users since launch. I posted a link on the first page.

Theorry

I think physical is on the way out to some extent.

But I also think D2 sales overall are massively down from D1. Otherwise Activision would have said otherwise. If D2 sold more than D1 it would have been said.

Activity numbers from destiny tracker put it at around 3.6 million max daily global users since launch. I posted a link on the first page.

There is a big gap between massivly down and selling more tho. :)

Typical

Banned
I’ve pretty much skipped every game with any meaningful type of micro transactions so far, not even tempted to get destiny 2.

Maybe I’ll get them used at bargain basement prices in a few months.

JDB

Banned
The context of he was lying, and this lie was repeated in several showings.
"It's all playable terrain" in the context meant it's an actual space you could walk around in and not just a fake background. It's definitely not the best way of wording it and god knows Bungie oversold the game when hyping it up, but c'mon.

Toli08

This is anecdotal but I don't know of a single person that has bought this game physical. There are 12 of us that play the game. While Destiny 1 around 8 of us bought Vanilla D1 physical and ended up regretting it because this is a game that's best owned digitally. Think a lot of people will be surprised by the digital numbers for this game.

Im more shocked that 1.3mil people bought this physically.

Top Bottom