• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Destiny 2 down 50% at retail vs. Destiny 1 retail

Strakt

But Destiny 1 is a game that did get a lot of viewers.

And yeah, we'll see what Destiny looks like on the 24th. Better yet, we'll see what it looks like on the 31st.

You can't tell me you think the drop-off is due to the PC version.

Destiny 1 had a dropoff as well. Like i said destiny 2 has issues but twitch is the last place to determine if a game has a healthy population. Even if we did, like i said destiny is still in the top 10 usually which is pretty good.

Strakt

That seems....high. I don't think it will get that high, especially for any meaningful amount of time.

PC is the smallest userbase. What makes you think that the game will suddenly catch on in regards to Twitch when it hasn't caught on the what is likely the majority of the people playing the game already?

It will, liriks doing a 24 hr, summits streaming it, timthetatman, shroud, cohhcarnage,the list goes on.. will it retain those stats? Nope, but itll be up there for a good week

Welfare

ethomaz loves to argue over nothing for some reason. Really seems like whenever Zhuge is brought up he has to immediately go against it.

-hadouken

its a video game homie; people who enjoy destiny will buy it, people who don't won't.
Profound.

D2 is still big.
Regardless of where digital is at, the franchise has stagnated with this release. We can be sure Activision are disappointed considering their investment.

Yeah, you have absolutely no idea what you're taking about.
Compelling argument.

D2 is still a smash success, just less than D1 was at this point. Not sure karma is doing what you want at this point.
Karma has done all I want, ta. It's heartening to see that Bungie/Acti weren't rewarded for the half baked, cynical shit they pulled with the first game. As someone who has been a Bungie fan from the Mac days, I hope they can now learn from their recent mistakes.

As a casual Destiny player, I appreciate the 50+ hours I’ve put into D2 and feel as though this iteration of the game has been far more respectful of my (very limited) gaming time.

As a father of a two year old, I don’t have the luxury of time that I did with D1.

So basically, my sudden drop off in playtime suits me just fine. I’m at 298 with my titan, and I certainly don’t have all of the fucking time in the world to level two more characters (that’s time that could be spent with a Mario Odyssey or a Persona 5, to name a couple of examples).

I think it is about the wealth of great games now, and that D2 just doesn’t have much to offer in the post-game aside from logging on to do a milestone or two or complete a nightfall. The raid certainly isn’t something I’m interested in, that’s for sure.

I think Destiny has always suffered from something of an identity crisis, and that seems to have carried over to D2 and hurt sales a bit.

ethomaz

Banned
In the Steam-related threads, it was oft-mentioned that late PC ports usually sell far less for lower price, compared to near-simultaneous release.

Not counting remasters though.
It can be true but double-dip is bigger than single dip at release. Publishers want to receive twice from the same guy no matter where it sells more.

Gator86

ethomaz loves to argue over nothing for some reason. Really seems like whenever Zhuge is brought up he has to immediately go against it.

For Destiny, in particular, there's a handful of people I've learned to just never engage with under any circumstances.

I wonder how much of an effect sales and community response will have on the game moving forward and how locked in Bungie really is. They're probably pretty deep on DLC 2 or something now. DLC 1 should be just about wrapped up now given its expected release later this year, right?

gatti-man

Karma has done all I want, ta. It's heartening to see that Bungie/Acti weren't rewarded for the half baked, cynical shit they pulled with the first game. As someone who has been a Bungie fan from the Mac days, I hope they can now learn from their recent mistakes.

Ok so 100 million in profit is ok as long as it wasn’t 200 million at launch makes sense lol.

Nowak94

Neo Member
I learned my lesson after buying Destiny 1 physically that I would launch the game so many times a day that I ended up rebuying it digitally. I'd suspect many people just decided to go that route this time around.

Have you read about the development of D1? The game was heavily rebooted about a year prior to release and existing missions and cut scenes got hacked around. At all times I think Bungie were trying to make the best game they could, they just needed more time to experiment.

As an example they were still trying to figure out internally how the main "mission select" should work... Should it be a list of missions like a traditional campaign game, or based on a map, a bit more like an mmo.

What happened with D1 was a common tale of bad dev tools, lots of experimentation needed, and finite budgets meaning *somwthing* had to be shipped.

I don't think you can describe it as cynical, and it certainly wasn't recent. The issues were happening through 2012 and 2013, 4 to 5 years ago.

D2 making less money won't give Bungie more time, or more freedom, rather Activision will be breathing down their necks even more.

Be careful what you wish for!

jviggy43

Ok so 100 million in profit is ok as long as it wasn’t 200 million at launch makes sense lol.
I mean Yeah it's relative but I'm sure Activision and bungie aren't happy to see the first sequel of their 10 year 500 million dollar project falling below expectations.

ethomaz

Banned
I mean Yeah it's relative but I'm sure Activision and bungie aren't happy to see the first sequel of their 10 year 500 million dollar project falling below expectations.
And what are they expectations?

OP analyst says it is ahead his expectation.

Foxxsoxx

Didn't D1 make that money back very quickly?... I think they're fine... D2 has a long life ahead of it, let's remember D1 hit it's stride and became even more popular after TTK.

yuraya

The first game was frontloaded with a lot of hype and a lot of people who still used their PS360s bought it as well. There was no way the 2nd would be able to do the same in retail. Even here on GAF the hype for it was like 1/2 of what it was for the first.

Didn't D1 make that money back very quickly?... I think they're fine... D2 has a long life ahead of it, let's remember D1 hit it's stride and became even more popular after TTK.

Not hitting expectations does not necessarily mean that the game wasn't profitable.

Doran902

Well I know me and my entire raid group from Destiny 1 all bought Destiny 2 digitally on battle net, I am sure we can't be the only ones doing this.

Stantron

I put 800+ hours into D1. Passed on D2, and glad I did.
Not enough innovation and too much of a time sink.
Also, the way they changed how shaders work would have really made me salty.

Assuming the download numbers have a similar trend, I'm glad.

Until now I thought I was the only one that remembered Destiny was terrible. It's good to know people remember being burned the first time. Maybe voting with your wallet is actually working this time.

Z3M0G

Im assuming the same drop off on the digital side +/- 10%... wow

Could be a lot of people waiting for PC version... not many are willing to spend $60 twice.

I think I've just burnt out on the loot grind in video games.

I got through the campaign (which I enjoyed), burnt out trying to keep up, and traded it in for Amazon credit so I could buy PUBG.

I enjoy the worldbuilding that Destiny 2 brought but I'm just not interested in grinding for the sake of grind anymore.

Strakt

I think I've just burnt out on the loot grind in video games.

I got through the campaign (which I enjoyed), burnt out trying to keep up, and traded it in for Amazon credit so I could buy PUBG.

I enjoy the worldbuilding that Destiny 2 brought but I'm just not interested in grinding for the sake of grind anymore.

Haha im the opposite of you right now.. im burnt out on BRs.. waiting for more grind games to come out (destiny pc, lost ark, diablo 4, etc.)

Wamb0wneD

Not surprised at all.

There is a lot of toxicity toward the game, only surpassed by NMS.

Heck, even so-called fans put off prospective buyers in the half a dozen whinge threads that crop up daily.

Fucking lmao this hyperbole. Maybe some people felt burned after all the "this is only the beta, the rest will be bigger" when D1 came out and didn't want to buy into vanilla D2? Nah, must be half the dozen whinge thrads daily.

Foxxsoxx

Not hitting expectations does not necessarily mean that the game wasn't profitable.

Yeah, but keep in mind, I'm sure a lot of people bought this digitally over retail, considering the kind of game Destiny is and how digital has blown up in the past 3 years.

Mooreberg

This is not surprising. Buying the first game at launch was one of my worst purchasing decisions of the hardware cycle. Looks like a lot of other people were not impressed either.

sinkfla87

Love it or hate it, I always find it strange that some people seem excited about the idea of a developer going under or their game failing.

"I don't like this game therefore its potential success offends me."

I played a ton of D1 and so far a lot of D2. I like it but it's just not keeping my interest like D1 did and in fact I'm not too worried about missing nightfalls/Xur/IB, etc. I share a lot of the same issues and concerns many other players do. That said, wishing or celebrating failure just seems like an incredibly immature exercise in futility.

Strakt

Love it or hate it, I always find it strange that some people seem excited about the idea of a developer going under or their game failing.

I played a ton of D1 and so far a lot of D2. I like it but it's just not keeping my interest like D1 did and in fact I'm not too worried about missing nightfalls/Xur/IB, etc. I share a lot of the same issues and concerns many other players do. That said, wishing or celebrating failure just seems like an incredibly immature exercise in futility.

Don't u know that a lot people on GAF have a weird fetish with sales numbers. Its cool to see how games do via numbers, but some people take it to the extreme

It's one of the many signs of the emotional immaturity of the wider gaming fanbase. For a group of people who claim to love games, we spend a whole lot of our time wishing ill on developers and their games.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Compelling argument.

You didn't make an argument in the first place. You just typed factually incorrect nonsense that only a minority of people enjoyed Destiny 1.

No. Wrong. It was a popular game with a very large fanbase. If you want to try and make a point, do it without troll-like comments and ranting about "karma" while also acting as if the game bombed.

Nif

I was going to get it on PC, but after having to wait so long and hearing about the end-game I lost interest.

Dubz

No doubt this sells less than D1 overall. 50% is significant even if more people are buying digitally and on PC.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Everyone I know was physical with the first and digital with the second.

But there might be a bunch of people who were a bit burned with the first and did the opposite to make sure that they like it(though I haven't seen any).

Same boat here as I stated earlier, literally everyone I knew who bought it first time round got retail, this time literally everyone I know getting it has gone digital.

A lot of the reason for this (in my group of mates anyway) is purely convenience: they know D2 will be a long term haul, so don't want to swap discs all the time, so everyone went digital.

SP is really average,MP is Trash and the end game is hot garbage.

My friend who put THOUSANDS of hours into destiny 1 uninstalled the game and swore off the game.

I've only made a hunter and she's 295 and I don't even wanna play anymore my self.Destiny 1 I had all 3 characters maxed level after every dlc.

What a let down this game was

SP is really average,MP is Trash and the end game is hot garbage.

My friend who put THOUSANDS of hours into destiny 1 uninstalled the game and swore off the game.

I've only made a hunter and she's 295 and I don't even wanna play anymore my self.Destiny 1 I had all 3 characters maxed level after every dlc.

What a let down this game was

Agreed x100.

Anecdotal, but pertaining to myself and a significant number of friends of mine, a lot of us felt burned by how shallow the original base game was and didn't stick around for the DLC or revamps that came with them and certainly had no interest in Destiny 2 as a result.

I entertained getting it on PC, but I was very much on the fence, and am now so disinterested in the entire franchise I anticipate I'll only be hearing about it in passing because I have no reason to want to give it another go, and the same can be said for my friends. Some of them were still willing to give Destiny 2 a shot, but didn't upon realising not enough of us were interested for them to want to invest their time and money.

Pepboy

It's not that strange. Because a lot of game companies just mimic the last big success. Like how Bioware is making Anthem due to D1 success. Or how all Ubisoft games are going to be influenced by the Division.

Having something you don't like become very popular or profitable means more investment in games, sure, but often in games you have no interest in playing.

It's not zero sum, but there is some substitution.

Thanks, isn’t Bungie totally screwed with their current contract? Acti owns them for a long while.

Pretty much.

Activision would have been looking for an increase in profits over what D1 made, still time to do that, but starting off “behind” makes it more difficult.

As for being locked in/tied down, I believe they’ve pretty much sold their soul to the devil.

RoI was supposed to be when D2 launched, Actvision let them do an expansion instead and pushed back D2. I’ve seen it posted on various sites that if conditions weren’t/aren’t met then Activision would be contractually allowed to take over the IP/Major shares in Bungie.

Problem with the above is I’ve, and no-one else has seen the contracts so it’s hard to know how true it is.

jviggy43

Pretty much.

Activision would have been looking for an increase in profits over what D1 made, still time to do that, but starting off ”behind" makes it more difficult.

As for being locked in/tied down, I believe they've pretty much sold their soul to the devil.

RoI was supposed to be when D2 launched, Actvision let them do an expansion instead and pushed back D2. I've seen it posted on various sites that if conditions weren't/aren't met then Activision would be contractually allowed to take over the IP/Major shares in Bungie.

Problem with the above is I've, and no-one else has seen the contracts so it's hard to know how true it is.

Blows my mind Bungie would get out of bed with MS and then jump into this with activision, if true.

Top Bottom