• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Destiny 2 down 50% at retail vs. Destiny 1 retail

I personally think people are overestimating the impact of PC. It won't be small, but I don't think it will be comparable to the other two consoles when it comes to playerbase, and I think it has a much shorter tail due to player preferences.

I think the ratio of enthusiasts(compared to everyone else) that would get the game on PC is much higher than it would be on consoles, and frankly I just don't think the game is deep enough to keep those players entertained.

KageMaru

You mean the way they kept improving it? Bungie didn’t just release it and call it a day.

No, they charged for overpriced "expansions" while making changes and refinements. No doubt the game was much better now than how it launched, doesn't change how bad they handled the first game. Between the overpriced DLC, crap story, lacking content, forced grinding, and other hoops people had to jump through as they padded the game every chance they could, it was clear they were bleeding gamers dry. The game should have lunched with the first three DLC packs included, but greed has clearly taken over the company and they lost what should be important when addressing their fans.

Pooya

I personally think people are overestimating the impact of PC. It won't be small, but I don't think it will be comparable to the other two consoles when it comes to playerbase, and I think it has a much shorter tail due to player preferences.

I think the ratio of enthusiasts(compared to everyone else) that would get the game on PC is much higher than it would be on consoles, and frankly I just don't think the game is deep enough to keep those players entertained.

I think PC version is going to be relatively small. This business model with regular DLC does not do well on PC. I can't think of anything that does too well recently. Not even Battlefield does that great anymore and with the big delay they killed most of the interest, the beta came out almost 2 months ago and it's been just silence since. They've handled the PC version abysmally. I was excited, not anymore. They should have released whatever they had day1 if they wanted to be successful.

People acting like D1 didn’t sell digitally...

Exactly, this whole "but digital" narrative is overblown. Granted anecdotally, my group of gaming friends all bought D1 digitally and none of us returned to play D2, not one. D1 really soured a lot of people with their over promise and under delivery.

katsais

I bet most people bought it digitally. The real story will be how many players are still playing it in a month.

I’m sure most people find it a disappointment.

RedAssedApe

Banned

i'm going to say it'll be a few 100k. maybe some double dippers for the crazy hardcore players.

The mistake to not being able to sell the game after you finished playing it?
I mean, where is the mistake by buying the game physical?
It takes 3 years to “finish” destiny so you don’t really have much resale value after that.

It’s not like order 1886 where I bought it, played it, and sold it back after 2 days.

On topic, not surprising. We got a boast about CCU rather than sales for a reason. Even with digital the original destiny 1 probably sold better, 4 platforms and the hype was massive.

We had someone here that said the sales were less than expected, 10-20% and I assume they already expected lower sales this time around. But hey, there is a PC version that will make up for the loss, most likely.

This isnt surprising. D1 was very much a love it or hate it kind of a game.

I think the people that think the PC version will make up for those numbers are probably gonna be disappointed too. PC is insanely crowded with online MP games right now and there are cheaper (and in some cases free) options available. Hard for me to see this setting the PC world on fire.

i'm going to say it'll be a few 100k. maybe some double dippers for the crazy hardcore players.

Yeah, which is pretty small when we are talking about likely >1mil on each console. (more on PS4 obviously)

I don't think it will be some smash hit like some people make it out to be.

I think that even if it does make up for the sales on the PC, I don't personally find it very impressive that Destiny 2 would barely surpass Destiny 1 in sales.

From the article, regarding digital as a percentage of the total sales for D1 and D2:

The company's CEO Bobby Kotick said on a Feb. 2016 earnings call that "for games like Destiny, it had, in the high-20%s in terms of digital downloads" versus total sales. In Feb. 2017, Activision executive Dennis Durkin said Destiny digital sales mix rose to a "mid-30s" percentage of its total sales, according to a FactSet transcript.

As a result even if "Destiny 2" digital sales are up significantly versus the original "Density," it is highly likely overall sales will still be down materially compared to the first title.

Edit: The high-20s and mid-30s both refer to D1 digital numbers. No D2 digital numbers are being referenced here.

Had to do a double take - and yeah, they actually spell it "Density". lol

Animator

I don't know a single person in the twenty something people group I play with that bought it physical. Everyone went digital for it.

Shredderi

I know a few people who were going to buy the PC version but the delay took out all their interest eventually and they're skipping it altogether now.

I don't know a single person in the twenty something people group I play with that bought it physical. Everyone went digital for it.

Most of my friends who bought this went digital as well, but they also did that with D1 already.

killroy87

"but digital"

Sequel to disappointing game sells dramatically less isnt a new trend.

Watch Dogs 1 to 2
Assassins Creed Unity to Sydicate
COD Ghosts to Advanced Warfare
Halo 4 to 5
Gran Turismo 5 to 6

...Could go on.

My own experience is a lot of my friends bought into D1's hype. Felt burnt. Didnt buy 2

Yup. digital may count for something, but maybe Destiny 2 just didn't sell as well as Activision had hoped, either. It's not like it's impossible.

juicyb

My guess would have something to do with more digital downloads this year compared to 2014, more competition in the realm of multiplayer shooters (PUBG), and a forthcoming PC release. That won't necessarily break even once all of these come into play, but theres no doubt the franchise has seen a decline.

ZeoVGM

Banned
If I had to guess, a ton of people moved to digital with this game. The landscape has changed a lot since 2014 and people know what the game is now.

Plus, the PC version.

But it's fun watching some of the concern trolling.

I can’t predict how well exactly it will do, but I think it will do better on PC than a lot of you seem to anticipate.

The captive audience of players that use the Blizzard launcher already for WoW and Overwatch (sorry D3, HotS, StarCraft but you’re not that popular right now) is not to be underestimated.

They’ll not only be advertising hard on the launcher, but via email blast to 10s of millions of players.

Now whether the game retains players of course is going to be the real question.

Kill3r7

Bought D1 deluxe digitally, bought D2 deluxe digitally. That said, kind of surprised at the significant lower sales. What are the mass market gamers playing right besides Madden, FIFA and NBA2K? Really interested to see how the October numbers turn out.

If I had to guess, a ton of people moved to digital with this game. The landscape has changed a lot since 2014 and people know what the game is now.

Plus, the PC version.

I feel like Activision would have said something if that were the case.

Papacheeks

Banned
Well that's what happens when you design your game a certain way and your first base game was very light on content and didn't feel complete until it's close to last expansion(taken king).

Not surprised at all.

They made a better Destiny 1, but still didn't make the content on the base game very meaningful or long for people to keep playing.

Wonder how the breakdown for Expansion pack sales will be for this?

geordiemp

I'll have you tone down the attitude unless you have numbers yourself. Without numbers your claims are as good as mine.

Of course they are, we both dont know jack shit.

Just having fun with you.

Carry on with whatever agenda you have.

Concern trolling wil continue until we get real numbers.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I’d expect Destiny 2 will have hard a larger than average digital sales ratio, but I doubt it’d be enough to offset an overall drop.

The first game would have done some damage.

Out of the almost 10 people I know who bought D1 at retail they ALL went digital. So did I. Not saying it's going to make up 50% but I think the digital version will have a record percentage.

napata

Plus, the PC version.

More people bought D1 digitally than D2 according to Activision's numbers. I'd say the numbers are a legitimate cause for concern.

Kaiken

Banned
Good luck with the Franchise, Bungie/Acti(non)vision. Could have been great. How Bungie almost single handedly created the console multi-player to what they have in Destiny is baffling. I had such high hopes for Destiny but I'll pass on the 3rd installment.

Bold One

Not surprised at all.

There is a lot of toxicity toward the game, only surpassed by NMS.

Heck, even so-called fans put off prospective buyers in the half a dozen whinge threads that crop up daily.

Top Bottom