• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Destiny 2 down 50% at retail vs. Destiny 1 retail

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Still waiting for those digital numbers. I am sure it did worse then D1 overall, but I think digital sales are going to surprise some people.
I'm thinking this too: just out of my friends, we all did retail for D1, waited in line and such for it, for D2 we ALL went digital since we all share the hate of swapping discs for a game that is a go-to game.

That's just my 4 mates and me, but that's a 100% conversion to digital in our little group.

NEO0MJ

I feel if digital numbers were that amazing Activision would have announced them by now. No doubt the game disappointed them when it comes to sales.

It takes 3 years to ”finish" destiny so you don't really have much resale value after that.

Someone can also get bored with it within a week and sell it.

But the main issue with selling Destiny after a long time is that any new buyer will need the expansions and by then they'll be in bundles that render the original release practically worthless.

Dysun

I'm sure that digital increase & PC are going to fill in some of that void, but it's hard to ignore the let down of launch Destiny 1 as a factor.

I can't predict how well exactly it will do, but I think it will do better on PC than a lot of you seem to anticipate.

The captive audience of players that use the Blizzard launcher already for WoW and Overwatch (sorry D3, HotS, StarCraft but you're not that popular right now) is not to be underestimated.

They'll not only be advertising hard on the launcher, but via email blast to 10s of millions of players.

Now whether the game retains players of course is going to be the real question.

I dunno, I don't think large amounts of people that plays eitherof those games will be eager to play a game that is, at least in my opinions, worse in terms of systems compared to the games they are playing now.

Why would a guy playing WoW or Diablo want to stick with Destiny 2?

Why would somebody playing OW nightly want to switch over to Destiny 2?

Destiny 2 meets those two games in the middle but is a drop in quality on both ends, in my opinion. It's still a good game, I just don't think it's of the same quality.

Im still kicking myself i bought 2 copies of this game (one for wife). We played dextiny together for 3 years. I put over 2000 hours into it.

Couldnt play destiny 2 passes the 1st week. I tried, but i just didnt like it.

mrk8885

Banned
While obviously digital sales are a confounding factor...why would the proportion of digital sales be much different between d1 and d2?

ZeoVGM

Banned
More people bought D1 digitally than D2 according to Activision's numbers. I'd say the numbers are a legitimate cause for concern.

Uh, what?

Please tell me you're not comparing total D1 digital sales over 3 years to Destiny 2 first month physical sales.

Juan

That is terrible.

I did not expect that.

And I remember in another thread when you told me I should trust your guess regarding D2 outselling D1.

I hope you will remember this and go more data/proof focused than making guess on personal opinion now.

On another note, I buy all my games digitally now, and from what we've heard, about 30% of the sale are made from digital now, but still, seems like D2 didn't sell more than D1, but I'm curious how it will perform on PC actually.

ZeoVGM

Banned
And I remember in another thread when you told me I should trust your guess regarding D2 outselling D1.

I hope you will remember this and go more data/proof focused than making guess on personal opinion now.

But it's not terrible. We won't know the truth behind these numbers until we know digital numbers.

geordiemp

What agenda? I bought the game! Digitally no less!

So did I, and every Destiny player I know..

In D1,you bought the game, after first expansion disk was just annoying as game has already changed.

For Destiny 2 first expansion is Before xmas, disks are pointless, all Destiny community knows that.

I am guessing when PR happens Destiny 2 will set new records in Digital percentages for retail,

I am going with 70 % digital split. You read the guess here first.

Trup1aya

Still haven't bought D2. D1 was disappointing and D2 is just a refined D1, it's still not the game I expected back then.

Juan

But it's not terrible. We won't know the truth behind these numbers until we know digital numbers.

And also how well it performs on PC. I'm confident they sell enough to not be afraid about the budget they spent on Destiny 2. But I still think D2 won't sell as much as D1.

But still, people shouldn't expect too much from digital tbh.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Because for starters digital was a thing in 2014. So even if Destiny 2 did hit 50% digital which would be a new high for AAA console games, its sales would still be below D1 physical+digital.

Digital sales are much more powerful in 2017 than 2014, no? Also, Destiny 1 launched on 4 consoles. This launched on 2 with a first ever PC version launching later.

To be honest, comparing these two numbers just doesn't matter much in the end. We won't really know until Activision earnings.

Shredderi

In D1,you bought the game, after first expansion disk was just annoying as game has already changed.

For Destiny 2 first expansion is Before xmas, disks are pointless, all Destiny community knows that.

I am guessing when PR happens Destiny 2 will set new records in Digital percentages for retail,

That would impress me, tbh.

Kill3r7

70% is asinine. If that is the case I will gladly have that become my tag. There is no way a publisher does not do a press release if those are the figures. Heck most gaming forums would have a meltdown.

Kill3r7

Digital sales are much more powerful in 2017 than 2014, no? Also, Destiny 1 launched on 4 consoles. This launched on 2 with a first ever PC version launching later.

To be honest, comparing these two numbers just doesn't matter much in the end. We won't really know until Activision earnings.

Correct, digital sales are up. Probably around 35-40% range for D2 but anything more than that would be a drastic shift in market behavior.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I didn't expect that much decline...

I purchased Destiny CE at retail, but I purchased the Deluxe version of Destiny 2 on PSN. I'm sure many people also went from disk to digital as well. Three years is quite sometime to allow people to become more accustomed to going digital.

hemo memo

Im still kicking myself i bought 2 copies of this game (one for wife). We played dextiny together for 3 years. I put over 2000 hours into it.

Couldnt play destiny 2 passes the 1st week. I tried, but i just didnt like it.

It's the same fantastic gun play and this is actually full of content and things to do compared to the awful first game launch.

I just don't understand some of you.

MrDaravon

Still waiting for those digital numbers. I am sure it did worse then D1 overall, but I think digital sales are going to surprise some people.

This. I know this is cliche and a running joke at this point, but virtually everyone I know went physical for D1 and digital on D2, even a lot of us (including me) that don't usually do digital.

No way it's not down overall (even ignoring other issues PC delay would have guaranteed that I bet), but I agree digital would probably surprise people. I wonder if there's any way people are able to ballpark how many players exist on a platform using some part of Bungie's API for the game, like number of unique players who have played a Crucible match or something.

Expected. They screwed their fans (nerfing everything & taking features away) and original fanbase(xbox gamers) with their exclusive bs.

And the sequel is not way better than the original. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

I originally called this game doing no more than 3 million on both consoles, no more than 5 million total. Also said, there would be a massive drop off after a month. The more I play this the more I think 'cash in', as if Activision had a hand in it or somthing. Oh wait...

My 2 cents.

geordiemp

70% is asinine. If that is the case I will gladly have that become my tag. There is no way a publisher does not do a press release if those are the figures. Heck most gaming forums would have a meltdown.

Just a guess, but based on how D1 unfolded over the years and any serious Destiny player would never buy disks is my impresssion.

Heck, this November ? December people will be downloading the whole thing again anyway with the way Destiny updates work.....

We shall see.

A combination of a) Destiny 1's initial version being bad, b) substantially less hype for the sequel, and c) far more competition on both the PS4 and the Xbone now compared to in 2014. And, yes, d) all the hardcore Destiny heads knowing that the physical version is pointless.

DyZ

I dislike just about everything D2 has to offer in comparison to what I encountered in D1.(Even launch Destiny in some regards)

Can't say I feel bad about buying it though. I've played enough to where I feel I've gotten all the value out of my $60 spent. I just wish they wouldn't have regressed so much especially given all of the complaints the original Destiny had.

I dunno, I don't think large amounts of people that plays eitherof those games will be eager to play a game that is, at least in my opinions, worse in terms of systems compared to the games they are playing now.

Destiny 2 meets those two games in the middle but is a drop in quality on both ends, in my opinion. It's still a good game, I just don't think it's of the same quality.

That's fair I suppose. However you've also got plenty of PC-centric players that wouldn't necessarily have played Destiny 1 and thus have no pre-existing first-hand opinion of the franchise, interested to see what the fuss is about one way or another. I'd place myself in that boat.

Now I could decide to buy it and get burned of course, not liking it, but that's a risk you take buying most any game. (I wouldn't get the deluxe edition blind or anything here)

I'm tentatively interested in Destiny 2 since WoW has had its own set of problems that haven't been fully addressed as the expansion has progressed, and Diablo can only maintain attention for a few weeks tops when a new season releases, and the latest seasons haven't added much anyway. (Still waiting for that Diablo 4 announcement.) And I don't really play Overwatch despite owning it, but I greatly enjoyed the old Halo games that Bungie produced, so having the opportunity to play something with a similar feel for the first time in years is understandably intriguing.

geordiemp

Gunplay vs WoW or Diablo

Gunplay vs OW.

Only drop in quality is no dedis yet and no 60 FPS on console hurts Destiny against PVP rivals.

I mean, didn't a lot of people hate Destiny for a long period of time before Bungie fixed it?

It makes sense that the people who quit playing after one or two months wouldn't want the sequel.

Be interesting to see digital sales, and in a month PC sales. I have no ragrets buying Destiny 2, but I feel I am done with the game and hit that mark much, much, much sooner than D1. I was originally going to double dip and play everything again on PC to play with friends but no desire at all anymore to do that.

I did buy digital though, multiplayer games for the most part are games I always buy digital since if I wanna play I wanna play right now, not go find the disc, pop it in, etc.

Magwik

Banned
Destiny 3 will be the one. Maybe it will have a real development cycle and won't get scrapped a year before release, again.

Lothars

Expected. They screwed their fans (nerfing everything & taking features away) and original fanbase(xbox gamers) with their exclusive bs.

And the sequel is not way better than the original. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

My 2 cents.
Well you are allowed to be wrong but Destiny 2 isn't way better than the original. It does somethings way better and somethings worst but it 's a great basis and I have no doubt will continue to sell.
I mean, didn't a lot of people hate Destiny for a long period of time before Bungie fixed it?

It makes sense that the people who quit playing after one or two months wouldn't want the sequel.
People still hate on destiny. You will find ones that hate destiny in this very thread and shit on the game at every instance even people that say they play the game. So you have to take them with a grain of salt.

Not a surprise, the PS4 version of the game didn't even surpass Mario + Rabbids in Amazon US, and the Xbox One version is far far away.

Strakt

Because they're all different games. I've played all of those you've listed in the past 3 months including other games off Battle.net that have far superior systems than Destiny or even WoW, yet I'm still going to play them. Each game is unique in their own way and isn't a clone. Some guy might no life WoW and since theres downtime between patch + raid, he might pick up Destiny to play in between. Some guy might rage in OW due to all the no skilled mercys and OP junkrats, and decides he wants to pick up Destiny to cool off. Some guy in diablo is mad that blizzard isn't announcing anything at blizzcon anything diablo related ONCE AGAIN and decides he wants to play destiny until they do.

DyZ

It's the same fantastic gun play and this is actually full of content and things to do compared to the awful first game launch.

I just don't understand some of you.

To each their own I guess.

Gun play is solid outside of PvP. In there it's basically MIDA (or anything with High Caliber Rounds perk) and then every other gun.

The token system is just not good, whatsoever.

PvE content is solid, up until you realize that the raid, strike playlist, nightfall and just about everything else outside of public events is useless after a certain point. Destiny 2 for most, has become a game played solely on Tuesdays for reset , just to knock out a few milestones, and nothing else.

PvP is in a terrible spot, and personally, I enjoyed every aspect of D1 PvP more, even launch Destiny PvP. Trials, and Iron Banner are also shells of what they once were in D1.

So yea, I guess there's more to do, but is any of it fun, necessary, or rewarding? Depends on who you talk to but for most, no.

Gator86

Destiny 3 will be the one. Maybe it will have a real development cycle and won't get scrapped a year before release, again.

No, and you know this too. They'll do god knows what for two years then rush together a game in 18 months prior to release just like they've done for the last 2.

That situation aside, Bungie is a company that makes bad design choices and that's the problem. I've posted way more than I should in the Bungie Asks for Feedback thread about a bunch of them and I think there's some genuinely solid discussion about the state of the franchise there.

I'm not surprised. The first game left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths who expected it to be more Halo-like. By the time Bungie fixed the game (through paid expansions?) they had moved on.

By all accounts the second game is better but I'm not sure how many of those people will give it a second chance or aren't waiting for the GOTY-style bundle down the road.

Top Bottom