• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Destiny 2 down 50% at retail vs. Destiny 1 retail

I feel like Activision would brag about Destiny 2's digital sales more if they were really that awesome

Exactly, it is easy to read between the lines. Activision wouldnt be talking about player engagement and concurrency numbers if sales were outright better than the original. Its the biggest indicator or shortcomings.

Also, read the article. Numerous analysts are commenting directly on NPD data we cant see, but specifically state that even with increased digital sales the game is down materially as much as 40% compared to the first.

Probably lack of 360/PS3 but it's most likely people were burned by Destiny 1 and were not going to give the sequel a chance which is totally understandable.

Guess Bungie didn't do enough to get them back.

So Destiny 2 retail at 1.35 million for the month yet they hit 1.3 million concurrent users on Friday Sept. 15th, 9 days after release?

Digital sales were really big then? Everyone who bought Destiny was playing at the same time?

I'm lost.

Hawk269

Would be a factor yeah. D1 was very popular also on last gen. Nobody could have bought it there digital also.
I know of about 20 people that are on 360 and PS3 still and out of those about 11 bought D1. So I am sure it had some impact. Will be curious on how it does on PC?

Hyun Sai

I felt something was off with the PVP matchmaking compared to the first one (much longer wait times), I guess this is one of the reasons...

Ryuuga

Banned
giphy.gif

I never want to see a game do bad, but when lessons aren't learned the outcome is obvious.

MrMephistoX

Doesn't NPD own Eadar now? I'm wondering when we'll start getting more reliable download stats. Retail as a whole is declining year after year and digital is taking off. I wonder if the drop is offset by an increase in downloads in a meaningful way? Most people I know IRL are digital only.

Chris1

Wut? The average is 30% but i think its higher for Destiny because of what kind of game it is and alot of D1 players know its a better way to get it.

No way Destiny is as high as 50% + whatever it was in 2014 (10-15%?) though, D2 is undoubtably down from D1 in pretty big numbers but the playerbase will be a lot more loyal than 1 for sure.

The beta probably put a lot of people off. It put me off, but I still bought the game. I had a fine experience, the first 30 hours or so were not amazing but I was relatively satisfied. But that's where it stopped, it's just not the game it is supposed to be. If it's the game Bungie wanted it to be, then they have strange taste. It's a hybrid of Halo/Diablo (with mmo sprinkled in), but isn't near the quality of either in any department. I put it on the same level as vanilla Destiny...I had some fun with it but it got stale and frustrating faster than any AAA loot/multiplayer game in the same vein should get.

I felt something was off with the PVP matchmaking compared to the first one (much longer wait times), I guess this is one of the reasons...

No idea if that actually has anything to do with sales, but...

Is the PvP even really a big focus?

As a casual observer, I hear almost NOTHING about PvP in Destiny, compared to the raids and such.

PvP for shooters seems to be firmly in the PUBG, Overwatch, and/or CS:GO camps.

Jawmuncher

Not surprised when a lot of general reception was just “Destiny 1.5” and not the jump people some people were hoping for.

Ceadeus

After the raid, I just could not see the incentive to play anymore..

The game is pretty much an empty shell with false promises.

Kill3r7

As a casual observer, I hear almost NOTHING about PvP in Destiny, compared to the raids and such.

PvP for shooters seems to be firmly in the PUBG, Overwatch, and/or CS: GO camps.

It's Bungie. PvP matters. Go on Reddit and see the numerous threads.

Theorry

No idea if that actually has anything to do with sales, but...

PvP for shooters seems to be firmly in the PUBG, Overwatch, and/or CS: GO camps.

PVP is huge. Even tho is not that good. Yesterday it had 1.8m tracked players.

So Destiny 2 retail at 1.35 million for the month yet they hit 1.3 million concurrent users on Friday Sept. 15th, 9 days after release?

Digital sales were really big then? Everyone who bought Destiny was playing at the same time?

I'm lost.

Where did you get that number? Extrapolated it using D1's NPD launch numbers?

If so, NPD = NA =/= the world, which means it makes sense for that concurrent number to be that high because it was a worldwide release.

Froxenblade

Neo Member
Between digital sales, people waiting for PC and die hard fans that will double dip and re-buy the game on PC I think D2 will sell at least as well as D1. These numbers seem reasonable to me. 2014 is only a few years ago but the move towards digital has made up huge ground in that time. People coming fresh off last gen were still buying games at retail because it's what they're used to. That feeling has eroded since then. I myself made the switch around late 2014/early 2015 from physical to 100% digital. Also, a game like Destiny 2 makes more sense to buy digital than say something like Horizon: Zero Dawn because of the nature of the game.

"but digital"

Sequel to disappointing game sells dramatically less isnt a new trend.

Watch Dogs 1 to 2
Assassins Creed Unity to Sydicate
COD Ghosts to Advanced Warfare
Halo 4 to 5
Gran Turismo 5 to 6

...Could go on.

My own experience is a lot of my friends bought into D1's hype. Felt burnt. Didnt buy 2

This a great point. Poorly reviewed game in a franchise may sell well if it follows a good game and vice versa. Better reviewed game may sell poorly because the game before it in the franchise burned people.

It's Bungie. PvP matters. Go on Reddit and see the numerous threads.

PVP is huge. Even tho is not that good. Yesterday it had 1.8m tracked players.

Hmmm.

Not saying it isn't the case (that PvP is big, or that it matters), but they certainly don't do a good job advertising it as part of the package. Again, maybe it's just my perspective, but I rarely see anyone playing or talking about the PvP compared to the PvE content.

They must not push it as a competitive eSport much if at all, since I can't say I've ever happened to casually tune into a Destiny PvP tournament of any kind, unlike the other games I've mentioned (and even some more obscure shooters.) None of the general audience advertising I've ever seen for the Destiny franchise shows off PvP, for example.

Not surprised, while Destiny 2 wasn’t bad, it still wasn’t as good as Destiny Year 3. So much hard work down the drain so that they could cash in all over again.

Activision not issuing a PR about the sales numbers speaks volumes. Its definitely down.

I wrote the article linked to in the OP.

In my opinion, this is the biggest tell. And old AAA franchise game director once told me if the sales are good, publishers will flaunt it.

The fact the first-week sales press release for Destiny 2 did not brag about total sales being better than Destiny is a huge tell sales are likely down. Instead, the press release parsed and said digital sales + engagement were up vs. the first title.

I think it's clear at this point that D2 didn't sell as well as 1.

And no, digital sales are not going to make up for a 50% decline in retail.

also this

Yes. I clearly laid out in the article the Destiny digital sales % of total sales comments trend from Activision earnings calls transcripts last few years (I had to do a lot of digging to get them.)

So any of you can do an estimate of where Destiny % of sales digital downloads is now based on the trend. Even if it's up a lot to say 40% or 50% of total sales, the math gets VERY VERY difficult if physical sales are down 50%+ to get anywhere near a positive growth number for Destiny 2 vs. Destiny 1.

It's just math.

Hmmm.

Not saying it isn't the case (that PvP is big, or that it matters), but they certainly don't do a good job advertising it as part of the package. Again, maybe it's just my perspective, but I rarely see anyone playing or talking about the PvP compared to the PvE content.

They must not push it as a competitive eSport much if at all, since I can't say I've ever happened to casually tune into a Destiny PvP tournament of any kind, unlike the other games I've mentioned (and even some more obscure shooters.) None of the general audience advertising I've ever seen for the Destiny franchise shows off PvP, for example.

They didn't because it can't be. Which is where it has me scratching my head. They balance around PvP, they lower the player count, they introduce a playlist called "competitive", and yet there's nothing competitive about any of it. No dedicated servers, no ranked play, 30fps, no custom games, only 2 playlists...the list goes on. Sorry, I'm on a bit of a Destiny 2 rant with these threads popping up today, but gahhh. I wanted the PvP to be good so badly because I saw such potential with the first game. I expect that they'll make some improvements pretty fast, but I really don't want to feel like I'm testing a Beta, they should have done things that they didn't do and it bugs me, especially with the budget they had.

While this is obviously not a great sign, find it hard to really put much stock in exactly how significant this is right now.

-Destiny is the epitome of a game that is “better” as a digital game.

-Digital share overall has certainly gone up since 2014.

-Only available on 2 platforms rather than 4 in 2014.

-MANY waiting on the PC version which is yet to be released.

Yes. I clearly laid out in the article the Destiny digital sales % of total sales comments trend from Activision earnings calls transcripts last few years (I had to do a lot of digging to get them.)

So any of you can do an estimate of where Destiny % of sales digital downloads is now based on the trend. Even if it's up a lot to say 40% or 50% of total sales, the math gets VERY VERY difficult if physical sales are down 50%+ to get anywhere near a positive growth number for Destiny 2 vs. Destiny 1.

It's just math.

Exactly, the increase in D2 digital vs D1 digital would have to be greater than the drop in physical. Just not happening. We can stop couching and qualifying all our statements with a nod to understanding the increase in digital sales. Its a non-factor.

Caja 117

I would say that is possible The first Destiny sold like it did on release because of the hype that was around a new franchise from the makers of Halo. D2 does t have this on its favor.

Jawmuncher

Exactly, the increase in D2 digital vs D1 digital would have to be greater than the drop in physical. Just not happening. We can stop couching and qualifying all our statements with a nod to understanding the increase in digital sales. Its a non-factor.

Yep. Don’t understand how people think that magically digital on consoles is going to carry that much for a game lacking at retail. Even if digital is up. The game overall is down even with digital.

Leyasu

Banned
30% digital...

Normally, any thread that talks about sales being down, digital sales are brushed away as inconsequential.

Pachinko

Sold fine if you consider it an expansion pack which in some way it kind of is. Some may be waiting for the PC release , others will wait for a price drop or the first D2 expansion.

Zemm

If I had to guess, a ton of people moved to digital with this game. The landscape has changed a lot since 2014 and people know what the game is now.

Plus, the PC version.

But it's fun watching some of the concern trolling.

It's also fun watching some of the downplaying. Even if destiny 2 sold as much as destiny 1 I'm sure Activision wouldn't be too happy with that, most other games and that would be called a disappointment.

Top Bottom