• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2011 Sales Results [Up1: All Hardware, BF/Batman/Rage, All PRs]

MeBecomingI said:
I seriously don't understand the problem with the PS3 in the U.S... it just can't seem to catch a break. Granted, the 360 is the console of choice for shooters, and no doubt Battlefield 3 helped sell some 360's, but the PS3 price cut has had almost no effect in October. Hell, the price cut couldn't even get the PS3 past the 360 at all... terrible sign.

Regardless, the PS3 has a hell of a line-up and all it can muster is ~250K; same as the Wii. Pretty sad and damn near pathetic when you think about it. I think we can officially call the U.S Microsoftland or 360land, haha. Kinect is probably helping a lot too.

Unfortunately, the PS3 is going to get absolutely destroyed this holiday by the 360... again. Especially next month. Modern Warfare 3 is going to make 360's sell gangbusters and I doubt Uncharted 3 can sell enough consoles to negate that. Would be nice too see the two consoles neck and neck in sales each month. Better for competition, better for the consumers and better for the industry.

Anyway, great numbers for the 360. Nice numbers for the 3DS. Great month for software and a good month for the industry.

Eh it is what it is. 250k isn't really that bad, of course it's not impressive by any stretch of the matter either. Exclusive software hasn't really been moving consoles for some time, and the price cut isn't large enough to actually fight consumer perception that's been set in place for 5/6 years. Basically, the 360 is the one to get. By now, most everyone's friends have one, therefore it's logical to get the system you can play with your friends. And yes, I'm sure Kinect is a helpful factor.

MeBecomingI said:
Would be nice too see the two consoles neck and neck in sales each month. Better for competition, better for the consumers and better for the industry.

It sure would, and in all regions, too. But the worldwide situation is still much better and much more competitive than it used to be last generation so from that perspective, the consumers and the industry have profited quite a bit.

kswiston said:
would need 9.5M first month to do that. Possible, but I don't think it is a lock. BLOPS did 8.4M.
MW3 grew 16% for day 1 (6.5 vs. 5.6 million in US and UK), so that would translate to 9.7 million for the whole month... lol, let's estimate 9-10 million hehe. ;)

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm looking forward to them expanding with a new IP.
I just played the demo for the new ratchet game and it seriously looks and runs worse than ToD. Not even 60fps and you can't control the camera.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MeBecomingI said:
I seriously don't understand the problem with the PS3 in the U.S... it just can't seem to catch a break. Granted, the 360 is the console of choice for shooters, and no doubt Battlefield 3 helped sell some 360's, but the PS3 price cut has had almost no effect in October. Hell, the price cut couldn't even get the PS3 past the 360 at all... terrible sign.

Because $50 isn't that effective. November should be more interesting with almost every retailer offering a $199 PS3 + 2 $60 games for Black Friday.

Globox_82

Banned
shwimpy said:
Poor Insomniac... back-to-back bombs.

Going multi hurt them. As I predicted btw. A lot of PS3 fanboys create this connection with exclusive devs so they buy their game, that they otherwise wouldn't if those same games were mutli. Have to admit I have myself done it in the past. This is first Ratchet that I didn't get. It seems rushed half a.., like it is not exclusive. ACIT was one my GOTY games.
Same goes for GG. I probably wouldn't have bought KZ3 if it wasn't exclusive.

Subitai

Well now I'm really anxious to see Wii and 360 numbers for black friday.

A Human Becoming said:
YTD

DS 2,843,732
360 3,839,214
PS3 2,679,948
Wii 2,614,870
3DS 1,667,000

LTD

DS 50,180,001
360 29,234,373
PS3 18,141,921
Wii 36,764,494
3DS 1,667,000
If Sony doesn't pick things up for Nov/Dec, they might be sill under 20 mil while Xbox is crashing through 30 mil.

fernoca

Kagari said:
Because $50 isn't that effective. November should be more interesting with almost every retailer offering a $199 PS3 + 2 $60 games for Black Friday.
The problem is that retailers will also be offering $199 Xbox 360s with 2 games (or 1 game + Kinect) and gift cards....and the $99 Wii (Wal-Mart only at the moment though).

Then again that pic of the kids with a $400 Xbox 360; not sure is price is going to do much for any...aside the usual holiday-bump.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
fernoca said:
The problem is that retailers will also be offering $199 Xbox 360s with 2 games (or 1 game + Kinect) and gift cards....and the $99 Wii (Wal-Mart only at the moment though).

Then again that pic of the kids with a $400 Xbox 360; not sure is price is going to do much for any...aside the usual holiday-bump.

Yeah, finally a decent year for Black Friday.

Averon

Subitai said:
Well now I'm really anxious to see Wii and 360 numbers for black friday.

If Sony doesn't pick things up for Nov/Dec, they might be sill under 20 mil while Xbox is crashing through 30 mil.

If Sony can't sell 1.9 million PS3s combined in Nov and Dec with $199 bundles, then they have bigger things to worry about. Though I find that possibility extremely unlikely.

allan-bh

Globox_82 said:
Going multi hurt them. As I predicted btw. A lot of PS3 fanboys create this connection with exclusive devs so they buy their game, that they otherwise wouldn't if those same games were muti

Most crazy theory I ever seen.

People buy games that interest them.

On price cuts, the 360 seems to almost always have some sort of "$50 credit" deal going on at a big retailer, sometimes $100. In an odd way this may be almost more effective as people rush to get a "deal". I am not sure if Microsoft planned it that way or retailers do that stuff all on their own.

Also on Kinect, the high price gives them leeway, now when I see $99 Kinect BF deals I go "wow good price". I remember a time when I and everybody else thought it was $59 or bust for Kinect. It's strange how high prices create a mindset. Of course, it doesnt always work or every company would price everything high.

The other thing I notice is in the BF ads 360 seems a lot more front and center, usually with Kinect, than PS3, which seems relegated to second tier status on page 8 or something.

Anyways those are just after the fact explanations. It's easy to say this or that in hindsight. I dont have that much faith in those explanations, really. Except the front and center in ads thing, I think thats a big deal.

aegies

Y2Kev said:
I saw it too at my gamestop. Just legions and legions of Teen Mom rejects with their fat children. I've never seen so much vagrancy. Luckily I was able to bribe the clerk, skip the line, and have my driver pick me up around the back.

Ha. Well played.

Massa

SimpleDesign said:
Uh, don't they have a new studio working on multiplatform games while the core teams do Sony stuff?

They have three teams, two of them just finished their projects this year. The other is the team that did Crack in Time and is working on Overstrike which should release in 2012.

gaming_noob

specialguy said:
Anyways those are just after the fact explanations. It's easy to say this or that in hindsight. I dont have that much faith in those explanations, really. Except the front and center in ads thing, I think thats a big deal.

Speaking of ads, ever wondered why PS3 boxes in multiplatform official game threads are always 1.5 to 2 times bigger than 360? I know they're taken from retail sites but maybe Sony paid them to create bigger images than its competitors.

Sydle

Massa said:
They have three teams, two of them just finished their projects this year. The other is the team that did Crack in Time and is working on Overstrike which should release in 2012.

Excellent news.

Seattle Times NPD article

I guess I can see why they keep mentioning #1 in 2011 worldwide sales every month.

To continue the momentum - and highlight new entertainment services coming to the Xbox - Microsoft's going to be spending more on Xbox advertising this holiday season than it did in 2010, spokesman David Dennis said.

"We are not just advertising games anymore - we are talking very aggressively about Kinect and how Kinect can interact with all your entertainment," he said.

Sean

Banned
Not only did Ratchet bomb, but it got beaten by Spyro, a franchise that Insomniac themselves created. That must sting a bit.

Nice to see Arkham City selling well.

Globox_82 said:
Going multi hurt them. As I predicted btw. A lot of PS3 fanboys create this connection with exclusive devs so they buy their game, that they otherwise wouldn't if those same games were mutli. Have to admit I have myself done it in the past. This is first Ratchet that I didn't get. It seems rushed half a.., like it is not exclusive. ACIT was one my GOTY games.

Speaking of Ratchet specifically, I think it was more due to it being quite a different type of game this time around, co-op centered and all that. At least that's the impression I got, I haven't really been following it closely, and going by the sales numbers, most people haven't either. In fact, for a long time I had a problem separating it from Heroes on the Move or whatever it was called in the end. It's mostly just bad franchise management on Sony's part, in my opinion.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
specialguy said:
On price cuts, the 360 seems to almost always have some sort of "$50 credit" deal going on at a big retailer, sometimes $100. In an odd way this may be almost more effective as people rush to get a "deal". I am not sure if Microsoft planned it that way or retailers do that stuff all on their own.

Also on Kinect, the high price gives them leeway, now when I see $99 Kinect BF deals I go "wow good price". I remember a time when I and everybody else thought it was $59 or bust for Kinect. It's strange how high prices create a mindset. Of course, it doesnt always work or every company would price everything high.

The other thing I notice is in the BF ads 360 seems a lot more front and center, usually with Kinect, than PS3, which seems relegated to second tier status on page 8 or something.

I have not seen this and I don't think the average selling price of 360 support this theory.

Eternia

Gadfly said:
I have not seen this and I don't think the average selling price of 360 support this theory.
In that scenario, it wouldn't change the average price since it's often a shop specific gift card for future purchases.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Eternia said:
In that scenario, it wouldn't change the average price since it's often a shop specific gift card for future purchases.
Bzzzzt. NPD figures these discounts into their pricing models.

allan-bh

Gamer @ Heart said:
While its crazy, it also kind of true. You see the resulting bullshit on this forum and review threads.

Not buy a game because the studio is going multi? Very crazy, only a very small group must think like that. Not relevant in terms of overall market.

Resistance 3 problem is Resistance 2.

Globox_82 said:
Same goes for GG. I probably wouldn't have bought KZ3 if it wasn't exclusive.
The problem with your theory is that none of Sony's first party software sells in the US in any kind of substantial numbers. Insomniac's games not selling is just par for the course right now.

matmanx1

Mmmm Dark Souls! I want this series to continue and sales like this will only help the cause. Good numbers overall and it's good to see a month where we had an increase in sales instead of a decrease. I do like a healthy industry.

Averon

What was the PS3's sales last November? There will be many $199 PS3 deals on black Friday, so sales should be much better than last year's.

Massa

bigtroyjon said:
The problem with your theory is that none of Sony's first party software sells in the US in any kind of substantial numbers. Insomniac's games not selling is just par for the course right now.

Problem with that theory is that Sony exclusives usually sell at least 300k.

Raide

WickedLaharl said:
Dark souls yay. Good thing it was able to go mulitplat.

Long live Dark Souls!

Great 360 numbers but Nov's NPD could be even better. Hopefully the MW3 crazy translates to a good bump for PS3 also.

Massa

bigtroyjon said:
300K is supposed to be substantial numbers now?

If you're talking about Resistance 3 sales like you were, then yes.

OldJadedGamer said:
Is there a list of first party exclusives this year and what their NPD debut month was?

LBP2 was 350k, inFamous 2 was 370k. Killzone 3 did 44k with Sharpshooter bundles and about 300k standalone, but I can't find the February thread to confirm its numbers.

Massa said:
If you're talking about Resistance 3 sales like you were, then yes.
There isn't a whole lot of difference between 180K and 300K, both numbers suck especially when there are no legs to speak of on the 300K games.

There are going to be 5+ 3rd party games to sell over a million this year and the only first party game to hit that number will be U3. There is no evidence that PS3 owners rally around exclusive software and would abandon a developer that went multi-platform.

Zertez

Respectable numbers by the 3DS and Dark Souls. From deserves all the success and I hope we continue to see more great games by them. Slightly disappointing numbers for the PS3 with a price drop, but not 250k isnt that bad.

Top Bottom