• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2011 Sales Results [Up1: All Hardware, BF/Batman/Rage, All PRs]

Monthly console individual sku chart using MS pr. My best guess at the ordering but it's purely a guess unless we get further numbers.

BF(360)
BF(PS3)
AC(360)
AC(PS3)
NBA(360)
JD3(Wii)
Rage(360)
Forza
Gears

One more spot on the list and it's probably either NBA(PS3) or Dark Souls(PS3)

El-Suave said:
One of the things this console cycle has shown is that brand loyalty is not nearly as strong as some of the parties involved have thought it would be.

Of course Microsoft will have an advantage in their strong territories if they play their cards right, but that's still a pretty big if before we know more details. You don't have to look too far back to a botched hardware launch not many people would have expected.
Up until this gen the only way console makers could lure their customers back to their new machines was with BC. There wasn't anything like XBL or PSN to truly lock them into their ecosystem. PS2 owners weren't really losing anything by upgrading to a 360 or a Wii instead of a PS3.

El-Suave said:
One of the things this console cycle has shown is that brand loyalty is not nearly as strong as some of the parties involved have thought it would be.

Of course Microsoft will have an advantage in their strong territories if they play their cards right, but that's still a pretty big if before we know more details. You don't have to look too far back to a botched hardware launch not many people would have expected.
Brand loyalty will be stronger than ever since the online services have become just as important as the games themselves.

Pimpbaa

I wonder if other publishes who hold licenses for making superhero games will take notice as to why Batman AC is selling so well.

jvm

Gamasutra.
FYI:
Sony PR said:
"PlayStation 3 is primed for a great holiday season as this month's NPD report shows. We're seeing increased momentum in our 1st and 3rd-party software sales at retail, which are up 5% over last year, and we're demonstrating the industry's strongest software line up with blockbusters like UNCHARTED 3, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, Battlefield 3, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, and new Move titles Everybody Dance and Carnival Island. On the digital front, we are also pleased to report that inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood is the fastest selling PS3 digital game ever launched on PSN."
-- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Indyana said:
YoY DS is down. MoM Ps3 is down.
Yes, I just added the calculations into the OP, but I only meant year over year.

Though, only a 1% increase in retail sales is still pretty sad given the amount of hardware increases coupled with the number of software launches.

NPD day on a Friday? Madness!

OldJadedGamer said:
I still can't believe that the 360 can pull these numbers without a price drop in over 3 years.
I remember when MS raised their Live prices, and there was mention of having to kick some money to Activision, but man... the COD series is IMO one of the main reasons the 360 keeps selling so well.

Chris R

Skylanders is crazy. Picked up a copy of Skyrim today and there were tons of Kids/Parents flocking around the Skylanders Wii stuff. It can be big if they keep stuff up. When I was checking out there was a guy with two kids checking out in front of me with the game, the platform thing, and additional characters.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Guevara said:
Is this as impressive as it sounds?
I can't tell if they are including PSN dedicated games or just games that would normally be some kind of retail title if they were longer, or if they're excluding PS1 games but including everything else.

PS3 digital game is kind of an odd phrasing.

see5harp

I don't know. I didn't see anyone playing that Infamous PSN title. To be honest I haven't seen people playing anything but Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, or MW3 in the last 30 days or son on PS3.

I truely think the majority of 360 sales come from the mentality of buying what their friends have. This is very important when it comes to playing online. Fee or not.

UberTag

rhfb said:
Skylanders is crazy. Picked up a copy of Skyrim today and there were tons of Kids/Parents flocking around the Skylanders Wii stuff. It can be big if they keep stuff up. When I was checking out there was a guy with two kids checking out in front of me with the game, the platform thing, and additional characters.
Skylanders has "must-have item of Christmas" potential and those figures could turn into optimal stocking stuffers. Just needs a talk show appearance or two to ingrain itself into the public consciousness and turn it into the next Beanie Baby/Tickle Me Elmo sales bonanza.

Got to give the evil Kotick empire credit if they're able to make this happen.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
UberTag said:
Skylanders has "must-have item of Christmas" potential and those figures could turn into optimal stocking stuffers. Just needs a talk show appearance or two to ingrain itself into the public consciousness and turn it into the next Beanie Baby/Tickle Me Elmo sales bonanza.

Skylanders itself doesn't even need to sell that well. Get a decent number hooked in to the toys and Activision will be rolling in it if they can keep the toy line fresh with regular new lines.

see5harp

AranhaHunter said:
The fuck? Yeah PS3 is probably 3rd this month.

Software sales are up 5% though. I think the formula for them is to find something that went up...either MOM or YOY and then say that momentum going into the next season is great.

venne

H_Prestige said:
Up until this gen the only way console makers could lure their customers back to their new machines was with BC. There wasn't anything like XBL or PSN to truly lock them into their ecosystem. PS2 owners weren't really losing anything by upgrading to a 360 or a Wii instead of a PS3.
That's true and considering you can't sell your digital library it becomes that much stronger of a pull to stick with it.

Chris R

UberTag said:

Exactly what I was thinking. And then keep the games/characters/ect coming.

BurntPork said:
Sony's November PR:

Seriously, Sony's PRs are just depressing now. At least throw in some spin!
They mentioned Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One as a blockbuster. If that isn't spin then I don't know what is.

Loudninja

olimpia84 said:
I'm disappointed at those BF3 sales =/
How did it compare to BC2?
Eh? It did well nearly 2 million in a single month is very impressive.

I think you expectations are way too high.

BKK

PS3 - 240k~250k (estimated from Microsoft, Nintendo and NPD PR) (-4.0% - 0.0%)

Is there some data I've missed? Using the 393k, 44% from Microsoft PR and the <250k from Nintendo PR and accounting for rounding I get this range;

(392500 / 0.435) - (392500 + 245000) = 264799
(393499 / 0.445) - (393499 + 249999) = 240769

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
UberTag said:
This. You really have to hand it to Activision here, outside of the bad new Spyro design.

I was at TRU during a toy sale this week and saw parents stocking up on Skylanders (both the starter sets and the additional toys). The smaller kids there with their parents seemed to be really into it. It looks like it's going to be one of the biggest things this Christmas.

It'll be even bigger if they advertise it some more or give it wall-to-wall coverage with talk shows or morning news programs. It'll be interesting to see how even bigger this gets.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
360 is riding with good continuity the momentum.
A momentum created with consecutives price cuts, bundles, aggressive advertising, great excluisive specifically tailored to the American audience, and Kinect, which boosted even more the 360 especially in last year's ending.

And now, at its 6th year, it's doing the best year yet. Several mass market games continue to come, and even if 99% of them are multi, almost all sell better on 360 due to hardware install base and the fact that the console is considered THE high definition console to have.
And people buy the console for its continously growing game catalogue, with also more "casual" offerings that is bringing part of the casual customers, even if not in great volumes, as JD3 sales probably state.
But still, awesome job in the long run in the USA, Microsoft.

BurntPork

Banned
BKK said:
Is there some data I've missed? Using the 393k, 44% from Microsoft PR and the <250k from Nintendo PR and accounting for rounding I get this range;

NPD says the 3DS came in second place, so PS3 is below 250k.

Road

BKK said:

3DS was 2nd with more than 250k, so PS3 is 250k or less.

Xbox is in beast mode. It's mind boggling how well it continues to sell.

Also, very happy to see Forza and Dark Souls on the Top 10. I'm curious to see the PS3/Xbox breakdown on Dark Souls though.

VALIS said:
360 - 393k
PS3 - 240k~250k

If this keeps up, 360 might add 1-1.5 million to its PS3 lead over the next two months, like it did in the holiday season 2010. I thought a cheaper PS3 would fare better this year. We'll see. Right now it doesn't look like it.

360 still a longshot to overtake Wii in NA. It would probably need 3 years to do that.

Also, nice to see a non-traditional top-10 game like Dark Souls in the charts. Multiplatform was the way to go.
Im sure you're only talking NA right?

Top Bottom