• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2011 Sales Results [Up1: All Hardware, BF/Batman/Rage, All PRs]

LosDaddie

Banned
Dat x360! Still surprised it can sell this much without a price cut. Solid sales for ps3 too. I think those bundles are going to move a ton of each console next month.

I'm very happy to see Gears3 in the Top 10 again. Epic deserves the sales. MP is top-notch, the graphics are easily in the top tier for consoles, and there's fucking 4-player co-op campaign. It may just be my GotY.

And From Software did the right thing in going multiplatform. No doubt. The more gamers who can play their games, the better.

Massa

olimpia84 said:
I'm disappointed at those BF3 sales =/
How did it compare to BC2?

BC2 did 1.25 million in March with pretty much the entire month counted. BF3 is probably selling twice as many copies.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
BattleMonkey said:
Two mil in a week is fantastic

BF3 was out on 25th, and coverage ended on 29th, so it's more like 2 millions in 5 days.

kswiston

olimpia84 said:

I think Bad Company was somewhere in the 1.1-1.3M range combined. I remember it's sales being pretty similar to FFXIII, just with inverse platform ratios.

EDIT: Beaten with more accurate numbers :p

overcast

Definitely more impressed with the AC sales than the BF3 sales. Very happy to see Batman sell so well. Bring on the sequel!

Also nice to see Dark Souls sell so well. Pretty low numbers for gears no?

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
funkystudent said:
I think as part of the November NPD prediction thread gaf should also guess add how many words it will take in Sony's PR before they say "momentum"
You know, if the curve is not upward, then you can use first, second and if necessary third derivative till you hit a positive number.

LosDaddie

Banned
overcast said:
Definitely more impressed with the AC sales than the BF3 sales. Very happy to see Batman sell so well. Bring on the sequel!

Definitely a case where a sequel's sales are boosted because the prequel was great.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
olimpia84 said:
Checking the backlog I get:

Battlefield: Bad Company 2: 1,279,400 (360/PS3 - 33 Days)
Battlefield 3: Almost 2,000,000 (360/PS3/PC Retail - 5 Days)

kswiston

Road said:
33 days against 5 days to be more precise.

I wonder how Modern Warfare 3 will effect BF3 second month sales? Typically I would guess 750k-1M in November for a game that sold 2M copies in the last 5 days of October. But MW3 came out two weeks later.

iamshadowlark said:
Yea I know, but its still kind of a vague statement .

He's in an NPD thread. Directly above that statement he referenced this months NPD numbers. Directly following that statement he referenced 2010 NPD. In his next statement he directly stated that he was talking about NA.

It was incredibly vague.

clashfan

AdventureRacing said:
He's in an NPD thread. Directly above that statement he referenced this months NPD numbers. Directly following that statement he referenced 2010 NPD. In his next statement he directly stated that he was talking about NA.

It was incredibly vague.

When he means vague, he mean he doesn't want to believe the numbers.

Atomski

Looks like Darksouls going multiplatform and getting a real ad campaign paid off. I hope they bring it to PC someday.

clashfan said:
When he means vague, he mean he doesn't want to believe the numbers.

I knew exactly what he meant. I'm saying that the post made it incredibly obvious what numbers were being discussed and the only way you could see it any other way is if you wanted to.

2sht4.jpg

Posted by Gintoki in the pics that make you laugh thread. I'd say it's pretty appropriate.

Atomski said:
Looks like Darksouls going multiplatform and getting a real ad campaign paid off. I hope they bring it to PC someday.

Indeed. I believe Demons Souls did like 160k first month NPD and that was a big deal.

I'd love to see the franchise on PC, Dark Souls console performance is, at times, abysmal.

Kifimbo

Possible bomba (hard to say with only a top 10 and no numbers):

The Sims 3 Pets
Ratchet and Clank All 4 One
Dead Rising 2: OTR
Ace Combat
Spider-Man: Edge of Time

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hmm, looking back, Brink didn't actually do that bad relative to Rage.

02. Brink (360, PS3, PC) Bethesda Softworks - 401K [360/PS3 Only]

Kusagari

LeoStenbuck said:
2sht4.jpg

Posted by Gintoki in the pics that make you laugh thread. I'd say it's pretty appropriate.

Damn a generation of Asian kids raised on CoD? We're all going to be doomed in FPS.

Death Dealer said:
Indeed. I believe Demons Souls did like 160k first month NPD and that was a big deal.

I'd love to see the franchise on PC, Dark Souls console performance is, at times, abyssal.
From Software brought f'n Ninja Blade to the PC so I don't see what's holding them back.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Atomski said:
Im sure it sold more on PS3 due to the original being on that console.. but I am sure a big chunk of those sales are 360.
The split is probably around 62% on PS3, 38% on 360, give or take.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kagari said:
The split is probably around 62% on PS3, 38% on 360, give or take.
In the UK the split was 58% PS3/42% Xbox 360 for the first week.

I'm not sure if the U.S. is more or less Xbox 360 heavy.

kswiston

shwimpy said:
Poor Insomniac... back-to-back bombs.

All the HD Ratchet games have bombed first month. However, they did green light 2 sequels after Future Tools of Destruction, so they must sell decently off the charts.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I saw it too at my gamestop. Just legions and legions of Teen Mom rejects with their fat children. I've never seen so much vagrancy. Luckily I was able to bribe the clerk, skip the line, and have my driver pick me up around the back.

I seriously don't understand the problem with the PS3 in the U.S... it just can't seem to catch a break. Granted, the 360 is the console of choice for shooters, and no doubt Battlefield 3 helped sell some 360's, but the PS3 price cut has had almost no effect in October. Hell, the price cut couldn't even get the PS3 past the 360 at all... terrible sign.

Regardless, the PS3 has a hell of a line-up and all it can muster is ~250K; same as the Wii. Pretty sad and damn near pathetic when you think about it. I think we can officially call the U.S Microsoftland or 360land, haha. Kinect is probably helping a lot too.

Unfortunately, the PS3 is going to get absolutely destroyed this holiday by the 360... again. Especially next month. Modern Warfare 3 is going to make 360's sell gangbusters and I doubt Uncharted 3 can sell enough consoles to negate that. Would be nice too see the two consoles neck and neck in sales each month. Better for competition, better for the consumers and better for the industry.

Anyway, great numbers for the 360. Nice numbers for the 3DS. Great month for software and a good month for the industry.

kswiston

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
Quite easily. MW2 did it, and 3 will likely see an increase over that equal to the sales of Batman and Battlefield this month combined.

would need 9.5M first month to do that. Possible, but I don't think it is a lock. BLOPS did 8.4M.

Funny that 250k for a third place console going into its 6th year is now considered a disappointment. What was the PS2 selling in 2005?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
MeBecomingI said:
I seriously don't understand the problem with the PS3 in the U.S... it just can't seem to catch a break. Granted, the 360 is the console of choice for shooters, and no doubt Battlefield 3 helped sell some 360's, but the PS3 price cut has had almost no effect in October. Hell, the price cut couldn't even get the PS3 past the 360 at all... terrible sign.

Regardless, the PS3 has a hell of a line-up and all it can muster is ~250K; same as the Wii. Pretty sad and damn near pathetic when you think about it. I think we can officially call the U.S Microsoftland or 360land, haha. Kinect is probably helping a lot too.

Unfortunately, the PS3 is going to get absolutely destroyed this holiday by the 360... again. Especially next month. Modern Warfare 3 is going to make 360's sell gangbusters and I doubt Uncharted 3 can sell enough consoles to negate that. Would be nice too see the two consoles neck and neck in sales each month. Better for competition, better for the consumers and better for the industry.

Anyway, great numbers for the 360. Nice numbers for the 3DS. Great month for software and a good month for the industry.
Momentum is pretty much in place for the rest of this generation in each region.

Their only real shot at upsetting things is a new console unless they're willing to sell the PS3 for like $150.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nirolak said:
In the UK the split was 58% PS3/42% Xbox 360 for the first week.

I'm not sure if the U.S. is more or less Xbox 360 heavy.

Typically Japanese-centric games go 62/38 in the US... recent examples being Catherine, FFXIII.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kagari said:
Typically Japanese-centric games go 62/38 in the US... recent examples being Catherine, FFXIII.
I'm more so wondering since this is a bit less typical of Japan than those two.

Massa

shwimpy said:
Poor Insomniac... back-to-back bombs.

Because it's not on the all platforms top 10? Like pretty much all the previous Ratchet games, even though they sold well and were not bombs at all?

Top Bottom