• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of December 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Damn its good to see The Last Guardian charting. Its an incredible game even with some of the issues.

blakep267

FH3 makes me think MS changing up Halo and Gears like God of War is the only way to reinvigorate sales.
Halo is fine. Even with softer sales it's still high for an exclusive. Gears is low but I don't see a genre change as much as more of a focus on the MP and services and less on the single player

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Forza Horizon 3 was on sale in December at Best Buy and other sites for $30 including digitally which might have been a first as I never see that from Best Buy. Also, the Blizzard Mountain expansion came out and im sure that added to why the game sold well in December. I sadly missed out on that sale. :(

Toki767

Forza Horizon 3 was on sale in December at Best Buy and other sites for $30 including digitally which might have been a first as I never see that from Best Buy. Also, the Blizzard Mountain expansion came out and im sure that added to why the game sold well in December. I sadly missed out on that sale. :(

So was every other game outside of The Last Guardian.

This is like...the first year that I can recall that virtually every high profile release got discounted by a good amount in less than a month.

blakep267

So was every other game outside of The Last Guardian.

This is like...the first year that I can recall that virtually every high profile release got discounted by a good amount in less than a month.
Pretty much. The only reason I bought FFXV on Xbox this early was because it was $39 at GameStop in like the middle of December

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm not that optimistic.

I can see it. PS4 is on a roll right now. The reception of the God of War trailer from last E3 was incredible and the series has put on some great numbers before aside from the stumble that was Ascension

farmerboy

I can see it. PS4 is on a roll right now. The reception of the God of War trailer from last E3 was incredible and the series has put on some great numbers before aside from the stumble that was Ascension

It'll sell really well but not Uncharted 4 levels. Not that I'd be completely surprised if it did. Just being slightly more realistic :)

Mainline God of War games do better than Uncharted games at launch.

God of War 3 was what, 1.1 million? That's already more than any Uncharted game at launch.

Yeah. GoW III had best first month first party sales on PS3 last gen. GoW IV will be big in US.

fritolay

I don't know that these numbers matter, if they don't include digital sales?

Myself and many friends buy digital on XB1. That way you can share on 2 different XB1, I don't have to buy twice for my fam. Digital you don't, disc you do.

Toki767

Myself and many friends buy digital on XB1. That way you can share on 2 different XB1, I don't have to buy twice for my fam. Digital you don't, disc you do.

I'm sure Gears sold 90% digital.

Memento

I meant the "as high as 10"

I'm expecting 5-6

I think it will be one of the biggest exclusives of the entire generation.

We already know its Sony's most popular IP in the US. God of War 3 was Sony's biggest NPD launch ever, and that was on PS3, which was the second place in US compared to Xbox 360. Now, PS4 is leading. Which means it will probably have some insane sales at the US.

Then we have the extremely positive reveal and word of mouth the game got. It is literally the most viewed game trailer ever on PlayStation's official Youtube chanel, with 15+ milliom views. If we take all the other unnoficial uploads of the trailer, it breaks 20 million. Now I know views dont mean too much, but it certainly shows that the series is at its peak popularity-wise.

MisterR

Ah, the famed all my friends buy digital post. Has to be one in every sales thread.

MisterR

I'm not surprised at FFXV for Xbox. Digitally speaking, it was like #1 for 2 weeks in the store and still stuck around that too 5(before the holiday sales started)

And DR4 was never high on the digital store charts then it dropped like a rock

As for gears. They are going to need to do a free weekend eventually and drop the price to $25-$30 during a follow up sale if they have any hopes of reinvigorating the sales. It seemingly worked for Titanfall 2 & Rainbow six(earlier this year)

Titan fall 2 is still low as hell on the most played lists. It's below NBA2k16

Gears was $30 at multiple places throughout December with apparently little results.

MANUELF

Banned
4.21 million only retail for Pokemon S/M? Great result for it
I wonder where it ranks in the Best selling games of the Year

4.21 million only retail for Pokemon S/M? Great result for it
I wonder where it ranks in the Best selling games of the Year

very likely ahead of CoD:IW or any other game (without bundle copies)
it already outsold CoD:IW in November when you talk about retail units

cakely

Yeah, you're right. These numbers don't matter. Did 9 out your 10 friends buy Gears digitally?

Kill3r7

Damn FFXV did way better than I thought was possible, even on X1. Square must be ecstatic. FIFA is slowly creeping up the Top10 list. No console exclusives made the Top10 for the year.

Rembrandt

Banned
Mainline God of War games do better than Uncharted games at launch.

God of War 3 was what, 1.1 million? That's already more than any Uncharted game at launch.

well shit, i take it back. i didn't know the series was that big.

still not sure about it selling more than uncharted 4, though. first week/month or overall.

Memento

Uncharted is not as popular in the US as the rest of the world. GoW is a bigger deal.

In the other hand, Uncharted is bigger worldwide, especially in Europe.

But the new direction they are going with the new God of War will probably attract a lot of new people and a whole new audience for the series. It has that "worldwide" appeal now. The incredible reception from its reveal is a proof of that imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom