• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of December 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Cross~

Wait, this can't be real - FFXV outsold Gears 4 in December on an Xbox platform? What fucking world are we living in.

Surprisingly a few xbros I know that usually stick to typical xbox fare ended up buying FFXV (And they even liked it). I guess the marketing worked.

Elios83

is that in the article?

Ps4 total sales were 2,668k
Ps4 Pro 480k

edit:
December Ps4 sales breakdown
Total: 1,568k
Ps4 Slim: 1,200K
Ps4 Pro: 238K
Ps4: 130k

That would suggest Pro sales in November were 242k and 238k in December, so pretty much the same.

jmaine_ph

Shocked that Dead Rising 4 didn't make it in the XB1 list. Thought maybe Gears 4 would be there too with the holiday push.

I'm a little confused about why there isn't a Pokemon game in the year's top 10. Sun and Moon combined sold 4.2 million, and I'm pretty sure that FFXV isn't at 2 million.

Lingitiz

The declining popularity of Gears and Halo should be a really big worry for MS.

Cool to see Last Guardian up there. And also great to see FFXV killing it.

Bastables

But they streamlined the DR franchise and removed all the "annoying bits" why would it not gain traction in the market? They listened to the fans and brought frank back, and removed time limits, and annoying bits like having to go to crafting locations, inventory management and manual saves.

I'm super salty at what Capcom Vancouver have done with the franchise.

RoKKeR

TF2 is also 2 months old, and its on the list.

TF2 has been having incredible word of mouth though.

Literally haven't heard anyone talk about Gears of War 4 outside of the initial launch week.

Forza Horizon 3 came out in September and it's up there.

Gears sales must have been really soft. I wonder if their MTX solution is doing well enough to recoup any of the lost revenue from lower unit sales. It doesn't seem to have as much traction as Halo 5's REQ system, but I'm not as plugged in to the Gearsverse.

That would suggest Pro sales in November were 242k and 238k in December, so pretty much the same.

a really muted launch. but the pro was not really advertised by sony and the reveal was short before launch without much hype outside of gaming boards

maybe sony will do something to get people know about the ps4 pro
i expect a big push next e3

Because they are split into two skus.

the ranking is revenue based and does include digital sales
but nintendo does not share digital sales. and pokemon is cheapter than $59

Mrbob

So it looks like The Last Guardian won it's weird battle with Dead Rising 4 (Check UK sales threads).

Though what's up with Gears now, does no one care about the franchise anymore? MS needs to inject some new IP blood into their offerings.

So it looks like The Last Guardian won it's weird battle with Dead Rising 4 (Check UK sales threads).

Though what's up with Gears now, does no one care about the franchise anymore? MS needs to inject some new IP blood into their offerings.

Its available on PC, maybe thats hurting it in the NPD charts? Or am i misreading this data.

The need to do something like what Sony did with GOW.

keep in mind, that those rankings are revenue based and do include digital sales
But microsoft does not share digital sales

but it's still a surprise FH3 is in the top 10 Xbox list.
because that game also does not include digital sales

Gurish

Yea Xbox fans are really tired by MS's franchises, this is pretty bad news for MS, they need something big enough to fill the void that is left by Gears and Halo.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow I just realized the DR4 omission from that list.

Holy shit, it bombed.

Core fans were turned off by the myriad changes. Target market that thought they wanted mindless Zombie Musou without any real stakes weren't biting either. Also Xbone and UWP exclusivity didn't help, especially releasing last in such a crowded holiday.

Just a guess.

Elios83

a really muted launch. but the pro was not really advertised by sony and the reveal was short before launch without much hype outside of gaming boards

maybe sony will do something to get people know about the ps4 pro
i expect a big push next e3

Sales are pretty much what Sony expected from the product, Pro is just meant to be a complement to the standard PS4 sales. It's just a high end PS4 model.
Unfortunately on message boards core gamers tend to project what it's true for them on to the whole market.
Being the most powerful product has never equaled to biggest sales and of course that is especially true in months like November and December where price is king.
But this year I think they will be more aggressive with the Pro as price goes down and diffusion of 4K TVs continues to rise. Also during non-holiday season months demand for more high end products tend to be more stable so I expect the Pro to get a bigger share of total PS4 sales in the future months.

Mory Dunz

I'm assuming Pokemon's 4.21 million does not include digital, so it should be higher than Diamond/Pearl's 4.25 million in 2007

Nice to see Titanfall 2 in both top tens and The Last Guardian charting. Shocking to see FFXV so high on the XO chart too!

But honestly, what I'm mostly doing, is looking at this data, and asking myself 'why are people buying the XO when all its exclussives are selling like shit, barring Forza?'

Especially as sales are going up! what exactly is causing people to look at these two systems, and decide to plunk down on the XO, but mostly only for titles the PS4 also has and runs better, while also having more and more popular exclussives. I just don't get the logic.

Sales are pretty much what Sony expected from the product, Pro is just meant to be a complement to the standard PS4 sales. It's just a high end PS4 model.
Unfortunately on message boards core gamers tend to project what it's true for them on to the whole market.
Being the most powerful product has never equaled to biggest sales and of course that is especially true in months like November and December where price is king.
But this year I think they will be more aggressive with the Pro as price goes down and diffusion of 4K TVs continues to rise. Also during non-holiday season months demand for more high end products tend to be more stable so I expect the Pro to get a bigger share of total PS4 sales in the future months.

frist step could be exclusive Ps4 Pro bundles
bundle horizon zero dawn with Ps4 Pro only as a showcase graphics titel.
so if you want to buy the game bundled with a ps4, you have to go for the Pro sku

That is what i would do.
but the margin on the ps4 slim is better compared to pro.
so why would sony heavily push a lower margin product? it does not matter at all for sony if you buy their games for a ps4 or ps4 pro, as long as you buy them...
we'll see

Nice to see Titanfall 2 in both top tens and The Last Guardian charting. Shocking to see FFXV so high on the XO chart too!

But honestly, what I'm mostly doing, is looking at this data, and asking myself 'why are people buying the XO when all its exclussives are selling like shit, barring Forza?'

Especially as sales are going up! what exactly is causing people to look at these two systems, and decide to plunk down on the XO, but mostly only for titles the PS4 also has and runs better, while also having more and more popular exclussives. I just don't get the logic.

Honestly, and I know there is a constant debate on GAF of whether or not Sony was smart or not for excluding UHD, but new formats in consoles have tended to boost console sales, especially in the beginning. The PS3, when the HD format war between HDDVD & Blu-ray was decided, enjoyed a nice boost in sales in all markets and that lasted for quite a few months.

I'm not sayin thats the only reason the X1 picked up in sales in December, but its obvious that the X1 S has had a very positive affect on X1 sales in NA. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that the X1 was down YoY for 2016 compared to 2015, and one could argue even with that this still applies, but the X1 S' release has had the most positive affect on X1 sales including any exclusive released for the platform including Halo 5 or MCC.

Toki767

I just don't see how Gears was ever going to sell well when there are like...4 or 5 other shooters its competing with. All coming out after it does.

Forza is basically the only driving game on the system and Horizon 3 was very critically acclaimed.

It's almost as if having that genre diversity helped Forza and screwed Gears.

Dead Rising 4 I think most people knew wasn't going to do well. The main reason 3 did so well was because it was a launch title.

blakep267

I'm not surprised at FFXV for Xbox. Digitally speaking, it was like #1 for 2 weeks in the store and still stuck around that too 5(before the holiday sales started)

And DR4 was never high on the digital store charts then it dropped like a rock

As for gears. They are going to need to do a free weekend eventually and drop the price to $25-$30 during a follow up sale if they have any hopes of reinvigorating the sales. It seemingly worked for Titanfall 2 & Rainbow six(earlier this year)

Titan fall 2 is still low as hell on the most played lists. It's below NBA2k16

cakely

so if you want to buy the game bundled with a ps4, you have to go for the Pro sku

That is what i would do.
so why would sony heavily push a lower margin product? it does not matter at all for sony if you buy their games for a ps4 or ps4 pro, as long as you buy them...
we'll see

You really have absolutely no way of knowing this.

Elios83

That is what i would do.
we'll see

Horizon bundled with the Pro in March at the same price is good first step to increase sales.
We can only speculate on this but I also think that the margin on the Slim is bigger, that thing was really (re)designed to be cheap to manufacture, if we think that the Xbox One S has a 4K internal scaler and UHD drive (and optical port?) at the same price, it's clear that Sony is making a really nice profit on the Slim (unless Microsoft is selling their console at at loss) while the Pro is being left to target the niche of gamers willing to spend more to get the best experience.

Edit: To be clear for Slim I mean the 299$ Slim vs 399$ Pro. At 249$ I don't think the Slim had a better profit margin than the Pro.

JLkc.png

Nice to see FH3 up there for XB1, even during the holiday month. I think it's safe to say that game performed quite well.

(notice the lack of Gears 4)
Damn, Forza Horizon 3 has legs. Still need to pick that up...

Maxinas

Great for FFXV. The Nintendo Switch better not fail terribly and help support overall hardware growth or it's only going to decline further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom