• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of November 2016

Elandyll

Banned
Here we go.
"Not in their plan" is not a steady no.
They can't say it now because the xbox one would be less "valuable".
https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/17...berg-qa-project-scorpio-vr/?sr_source=Twitter

The next thing was "Are you going to make games exclusively to Project Scorpio?" And we said we're not going to have console-exclusive games for Project Scorpio. It's one ecosystem -- whether you have an Xbox One S or Project Scorpio, we don't want anyone to be left behind, Now, with the power and capabilities we have, we'll be able to do high-fidelity VR. Now, that space, we don't think of that as console gaming, we think of that as high-fidelity VR, and so with the VR experiences those will be new things that you will get on Project Scorpio.

Plans can change, but they're pretty adamant as of now that Scorpio will be a "premium" XB1 with VR, alongside the XB1S and playing the same games as an "ecosystem".

Do some TVs not have HDMI cec?

I just use my TV remote to control the PS4.

That's one way to go. However, I use a nice ergonomic Logitech Harmony One with backlighting, full programmability, and a screen. HDMI-CEC would require me to switch my entire system to it, and I still have some devices that wouldn't support it.

(Honestly it's a weird oversight. An IR port has to cost cents. In any case that's where the media usefulness of PS4 ended for me. I got a $80 Sony BD player that supports any streaming service you can think of. Up to that point PS3 was my media machine.)

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
KGOYPcl.jpg

love this twitter

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Everything right now is a "plan". The thing doesn't even exist yet.

I don't get how you can conclude from what he's said to "it's going to have exclusives" or "it's a new generation".

Because it's very logical.
Scorpio is too powerful and late to be a mere xbox one "pro". It would be a total waste.
They have a different situation from Sony. They can leave the xbox one behind.
What if sony announce a PS5 for 2018? Do you think that ps5 games won't have scorpio ports too?

onQ123

Lets not get crazy here. It's not the end of the world, but it would have made the PS4 PRO a better box if it had a UHD drive.

Super Audio Compact Disc playback made the PS3 a better box but in the end not many cared.

So many people have 5.1 surround & better audio systems now but SACD never became a big deal & UHD Blu-ray will be about the same compared to all the people who will have 4K displays.

People will get their 4K content with or without UHD Blu-ray & they will also get their UHD Blu-ray without PS4 Pro this issue is so much smaller than people are trying to make it out to be We have media boxes now that don't even have a disc drive so why is it so important that PS4 Pro doesn't have a UHD Blu-ray drive?

Here we go.
"Not in their plan" is not a steady no.
They can't say it now because the xbox one would be less "valuable".

Look, that is an absolute 'No'. You're refusing to believe it, but it is what it is.

Just for shits & giggles, lets say the Scorpio IS a new console generation. For starters, have you ever seen a console launch without exclusive software to help sell it? Cause thats exactly what the Scorpio would wind up being.

Of the list of games both in the pipeline, & games studios that we know are producing titles for MS, none of those games are skipping the X1. Moon is producing an X1 title, most likely an Ori follow-up. Crackdown 3 & Scalebound? Both are X1 titles. State of Decay 2? likely a 2017 X1 title. 343i is producing Halo 6, which is an X1 title launching in 2018. The Coalition is going to be producing Gears 5, but that probably won't enter pre-production until after the holidays, and we won't be seeing it until 2019. And, again, unless MS is launching a new console generation in 2019, this will wind up being a X1 title as well. Turn10 is working on Forza 7, and that is also going to be an X1 title. Creative Assembly is on Halo Wars 2, and thats an X1 title launching before Scorpio by about 9 months. The Forza Horizon devs might have something out by 2018, but it'll be an X1 title.

From MS's external studios that they've worked with in the past, Remedy is no longer working on an MS title (as admitted by Remedy in the Polygon story), Insomniac Burbank is all hands on deck on Spider-Man (as admitted by Insomniac when Spider-Man was revealed), and Insomniac's east coast branch is most likely working on another Ratchet & Clank game seeing as how well the first game sold. Capcom Vancouver just shipped DR4, so we probably won't see the next DR game from them until 2019. Recore flopped in terms of sales, which doesn't put a pin in the MS/Armature relationship, but if Armature does work with MS again, I doubt its another Recore game. Iron Galaxy is most likely working on additional Killer Instinct content, but thats an X1 title.

If MS is planning an exclusive portfolio for the Scorpio for a Fall/Holiday 2017 launch, I fail to see where the studio power is that is going to be building that software exists, cause all of their known pipelines are accounted for, basically.

Scorpio is too powerful and late to be a mere xbox one "pro". It would be a total waste.
What if sony announce a PS5 for 2018? Do you think that ps5 games won't have scorpio ports too?

The only thing the Scorpio is more powerful in is in regards to its GPU. Its still foundationally an X1. And that power boost is perfectly suited for doing native 4K rendering & VR.

And no, MS CAN'T leave the X1 behind. Like, do you think that consumers would just all hop on right now? Thats not how markets work. The market has to be ready for a new generation; you can't just arbitrarily launch one & call it a day. And no, don't bring up Nintendo in this, because they have an entirely different business strategy than the one MS & Sony are utilizing, and even then, the Wii U flopped with its early launch. Consumers are looking for software, and lower price points into the current generation. Launching a $399-$499 machine right now and calling it a new generation would be a disaster.

They've said from the very beginning that the Scorpio is a high-end X1 meant for native 4K, that it won't have exclusives. If the Scorpio is indeed a new generation, it launches with one of the worst sales pitches a console has had in a long time - tons of power, no software that utilizes it to any meaningful capacity.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I already explained why it's a bigger deal above. We can argue about that if you want.

I misspoke. I meant the stakes are higher, not that it's riskier. The only risk is the probable somewhat high price due to the alleged specs.

Dude, the specs really aren't that outrageous when it's launching in the tail end of 2017. It's not going to be crazy expensive.

Toki767

Ehh...with Sony not doing BC currently, I don't have faith in that. One would hope though.

I hope both MS and Sony have at least previous gen compatibility going forward.

I think with Sony making an effort to do all these PS4 remasters for older games, you could probably take that as a fairly decent sign that an eventual PS5 will play PS4 games.

PS3 BC is problematic due to CELL. Can't be helped but PS5 will have PS4 BC.

Which is the reason I am fine with the best PS3 games being remastered for PS4. They would be made future proof, as long as Sony remains with the same architecture. There are still several games I want to see brought to PS4 like the Resistance Trilogy, the Killzone Trilogy, and many others.

Unknown?

I already explained why it's a bigger deal above. We can argue about that if you want.

I misspoke. I meant the stakes are higher, not that it's riskier. The only risk is the probable somewhat high price due to the alleged specs.

It won't be a bigger deal and here's why: the majority of media will compare it to XB1 AND Pro. If you thought the differences were hard to showcase with compression in video/imgs now they'll be even harder to show off when the difference in power is smaller between the Scorpio and Pro. People will see the comparison on YouTube and the general public won't think it's big compared to the Pro. It'll be big compared to the OG XB1 but if people see that a cheaper Pro has an mostly indistinguishable difference, they won't impress many.

Coxy100

Banned
Super Audio Compact Disc playback made the PS3 a better box but in the end not many cared.

So many people have 5.1 surround & better audio systems now but SACD never became a big deal & UHD Blu-ray will be about the same compared to all the people who will have 4K displays.

People will get their 4K content with or without UHD Blu-ray & they will also get their UHD Blu-ray without PS4 Pro this issue is so much smaller than people are trying to make it out to be We have media boxes now that don't even have a disc drive so why is it so important that PS4 Pro doesn't have a UHD Blu-ray drive?
Do you really need people to answer this question? The answer is obvious come on now...

You do understand everything you've said here is all your personal belief and what you believe to be logic? That's fine if you want to believe that. But you do understand regardless of whether your logic is right or wrong it flies against what MS and Phil Spencer is saying right? Nothing you've said thus far is at all supported by evidence.

Again like I said, you may be right and MS and Phil Spencer may just be lying their asses off.

If I owned a 4K TV I would definitely want a 4K bluray player. I'm fully aware that I'm in the minority on that though. Even though I've had a PS4 since the beginning of this gen and had a PS3 last gen, I'd consider getting an Xbox One S in addition to a PS4 Pro for the 4K bluray and the odd Microsoft exclusive were I to get a 4K tv.

insonator

Banned
It won't be a bigger deal and here's why: the majority of media will compare it to XB1 AND Pro. If you thought the differences were hard to showcase with compression in video/imgs now they'll be even harder to show off when the difference in power is smaller between the Scorpio and Pro. People will see the comparison on YouTube and the general public won't think it's big compared to the Pro. It'll be big compared to the OG XB1 but if people see that a cheaper Pro has an mostly indistinguishable difference, they won't impress many.

One thing for sure is beside graphics, Scorpio will have that same unresponsive OS and UI from X1; I don't want this, ever

That native 4K red dead redemption 2 exclusive tho.

Not gonna lie, i'm gonna be fascinated in seeing how both Sony, Rockstar, & MS handle this situation regarding RDR2. Sony's got the exclusive marketing deal for this game, and judging by how aggressive MS has gotten with some of these 3rd party deals Sony gets in the past, I don't imagine MS is going to let such a seemingly natural advantage go unadvertised.

However, going by how not every PS4 title is making full use of the Pro's capabilities at launch, I can imagine a situation where Rockstar ships RDR2 on X1 without native 4K support on Scorpio. And if that were to happen, the conspiracy theories among fanboys saying that Sony is moneyhatting Rockstar into not doing it would get insane.

Just for shits & giggles, lets say the Scorpio IS a new console generation. For starters, have you ever seen a console launch without exclusive software to help sell it? Cause thats exactly what the Scorpio would wind up being.

Game Boy Color.
But is anyone arguing it's a hard launch of a new generation? It blatantly isn't. In my mind the only question is if XBONE supporting games will be (eventually) phased out while support continues for higher spec machines.

And no, MS CAN'T leave the X1 behind.

Well I mean they could. They have.

When the Scorpio releases it'll be nearly the end of 2017. By then the XB1 would have had about a 4 year lifecycle. Ending support at that point isn't unheard of for MS. Now would people who own the original and One S be a bit mad? Probably, but MS gotta do what it feels it's gotta do.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
You do understand everything you've said here is all your personal belief and what you believe to be logic? That's fine if you want to believe that. But you do understand regardless of whether your logic is right or wrong it flies against what MS and Phil Spencer is saying right? Nothing you've said thus far is at all supported by evidence.

Again like I said, you may be right and MS and Phil Spencer may just be lying their asses off.

I don't find strange this kind of "lies".
Infact it's not a proper lie. For now they don't have plan to make exclusives. But in the future who know? It's strategy.
On the contrary Sony has been very clear about the PS4 pro.

Guess what Microsoft said at the scorpio reveal: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/xbox-one-project-scorpio-exclusive-games-game-development-community-1565456

AtkO

Kinda crazy / impressive how hilarious this account is all the time.

lol, well done.

Yea, it truly is. To be spot on time and time again, I see it as the work of a group of people, getting together to find the best tweet. But nope, it's probably just one guy, one hell of a funny guy (or Sony lel).

Infact it's not a proper lie. For now they don't have plan to make exclusives. But in the future who know? It's strategy.

Guess what Microsoft said at the scorpio reveal: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/xbox-one-project-scorpio-exclusive-games-game-development-community-1565456

Yeah but then you had execs quickly say that what Loftis said wasn't true. It's right there in the article you posted.

Fox_Mulder

Yeah but then you had execs quickly say that what Loftis said wasn't true.

Because, in my opinion, they relize that such statement would have hurt the xbox one sales of this winter/autumn.

Moneal

They, including Spencer, walked that back really quick. In an article only days after the e3 announcement http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview .

meerak

Yea, it truly is. To be spot on time and time again, I see it as the work of a group of people, getting together to find the best tweet. But nope, it's probably just one guy, one hell of a funny guy (or Sony lel).

lol yeah, like a think tank. Fax machines go nuts every time a news story happens and they gather around the table with charts and shit to dissect it and create the 1 perfect joke...

..or, just some guy who in between bus stops types some magic into Twitter.

Fox_Mulder

Did you even read the very first post I made on this page?
It's Right There.

I, on the contrary of many of you, don't find strange that they can lie. So I remain of my idea.
But that's only an opinion based on some considerations I've done before. Naturally I can be wrong.

onQ123

Do you really need people to answer this question? The answer is obvious come on now...

I really want to know & I also want to know if the people who think it's so important even know what UHD Blu-ray is on the technology level? because that disc is not that much different from the Blu-ray disc that came out 10 years ago. When Blu-ray came out it was 25/50GB when people had consoles with no hard drives & it was $99 for a 20GB harddrive that had less space than a Blu-ray disc , the console that did have a 60GB harddrive was $599 & streaming media looked terrible back then but UHD Blu-ray is 50/66/100GB & coming out at a time that 500GB is the standard for consoles & we have 4K streaming apps that come standard on 4K TVs & media boxes. You can not convince me that UHD Blu-ray playback on PS4 Pro would have been a big deal hell it's not even a big deal for the console that has the playback capability.

Melchiah

It's an attempt to revive a quite flagging sales performance. It's timed almost like a next-gen console. And its alleged power jump is far more significant.

Pro is Sony stating the course -- the course which has been working. It's okay even if its insignificant sales-wise. Not much is risked.

Scorpio is an attempt to reverse course. It's risky.

The power jump is significant when compared to XBO, but not so much when compared to the Pro. For years people have said the difference between XBO and PS4 is minimal, and the gap between Pro and Scorpio is similar to that. Yet now it doesn't seem to be so minimal anymore.

Then there's the possible issue of XBO limiting what Scorpio can do, due to the performance gap that's far wider than that of PS4 and Pro.

anothertech

Because, in my opinion, they relize that such statement would have hurt the xbox one sales of this winter/autumn.
Officially, from the horses mouth, Scorpio is an Xbone pro. Only exception is vr if they end up with vr solution. Phil the Xbox king said it himself multiple times.

So officially, you are incorrect.

And once again, a Ps4 thread is being turned into a Scorpio thread. Imagine that lol.

pixelation

Officially, from the horses mouth, Scorpio is an Xbone pro. Only exception is vr if they end up with vr solution. Phil the Xbox king said it himself multiple times.

And once again, a Ps4 thread is being turned into a Scorpio thread. Imagine that lol.

Everyone knows the Scorpio will turn the tide!!!, where's that dang chalkboard?

Humdinger

Gold Member

While I disagree with Fox Mulder (I don't think there will be exclusives, and I don't think Scorpio is a new gen), I do think that MS will market it as the most powerful console on Earth. They will not put a lot of emphasis on how it "plays Xbox One games in 4K" or "is part of the Xbox family." They will emphasize power power power. They will market it as a beast of a console, more powerful than anything on the market, able to deliver native 4K without breaking a sweat, etc. In many ways, it will seem as if they are marketing a new console.

They won't say so explicitly, and they'll make all the right sounds to reassure the X1 owners that they are part of the family, but I don't think the latter is going to be a focus of marketing, like it was for the PS Pro. I don't think they would mind so much if people saw this as something quite different than the X1, not just an improved X1 but a fresh start and a massively powerful leap forward.

AtkO

Yes he is, and he still derails the thread. :/

OT : Any of the big 3 issued a PR statement yet or have they forgotten how to do one?

Top Bottom