• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of November 2016

NastyBook

Hunter X Hunter.

Don't watch it.

That transformation GIF happens only once in the anime and you'll have to watch ~140 episodes (much of it mediocre) just to get to that moment.

It isn't worth it.

Just watch the fight where he transforms.
Wow, dude. The person you responded to needed to at least start watching the Chimera Ant arc in order to get the backstory of why Gon transformed the way he did. Spoiling the entire scene itself completely steals all of the fire out this fight. All of it. You should be ashamed.

AtkO

Microsoft has.

And it was as bad as you would expect. A ton of spin.

Oh...

swear-to-spin-the-truth_resize.jpg

o0xEWvgga9X4.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Someone with photoshop skills, you know what to do.

Seriously tho, any link to the statement? My Google skills are borderline lethal.

Guess I should have gone with my first instincts on this one after all, I was giving Xbox One too much credit for the month clearly.

lol at thread turning into yet another Scorpio fanfiction thread though.

Because it's very logical.
Scorpio is too powerful and late to be a mere xbox one "pro". It would be a total waste.
They have a different situation from Sony. They can leave the xbox one behind.

"No gamer left behind" tho. They're stuck with Xbox One to the absolute bitter end.

see those two responses above?

so confusing.

It's only confusing because you're reading people's opinions rather than all the evidence people have posted here of quotes directly from MS execs.

Don't really know why you're just doing selective reading when the quotes and links to articles are interspersed with those posts you just quoted.

joecanada

That sounds EXACTLY like something they'd say not even joking. Haha

"Xbox totally won NPD. Also Xbox is totally winning the sales here too, its incredible. Playstation has been an "international" platform for years and they continue to use undocumented immigrants for their sales. So when we deport those, you know fix that problem of the German, Spain, Japanese type people here then you will see what the real numbers are, and it's great , totally great".

ianpm31

I doubt we'll ever find out, but I'd like to know what the global split for that game is. I think the number there will greatly affect SE's decisions moving forward.

UK was roughly 80/20 which was around the type0 split and that was 90/10 worldwide I believe. So my guess would be the same as type0

UK was roughly 80/20 which was around the type0 split and that was 90/10 worldwide I believe. So my guess would be the same as type0

That would be bad. I would hope at least WW it's able to be 80/20 or 70/30. 90/10 for XV is completely different than 90/10 for Type-0. People (even SE themselves probably) can handwave the Type-0 as a title that was subpar or whatever, but nobody can do that for SE Japan's flagship game.

Dude, the specs really aren't that outrageous when it's launching in the tail end of 2017. It's not going to be crazy expensive.

I didn't say crazy expensive. I said a possibility of a somewhat high price. Anything above $399, as we know, is somewhat high for the mainstream.

It won't be a bigger deal and here's why: the majority of media will compare it to XB1 AND Pro. If you thought the differences were hard to showcase with compression in video/imgs now they'll be even harder to show off when the difference in power is smaller between the Scorpio and Pro. People will see the comparison on YouTube and the general public won't think it's big compared to the Pro. It'll be big compared to the OG XB1 but if people see that a cheaper Pro has an mostly indistinguishable difference, they won't impress many.

I didn't say MS will be successful in this attempt. I merely outlines their GOAL of making this a big deal. They have more ground to gain, and this is their big attempt to do so. None of what yiu said contradicts this.

The power jump is significant when compared to XBO, but not so much when compared to the Pro. For years people have said the difference between XBO and PS4 is minimal, and the gap between Pro and Scorpio is similar to that. Yet now it doesn't seem to be so minimal anymore.

Then there's the possible issue of XBO limiting what Scorpio can do, due to the performance gap that's far wider than that of PS4 and Pro.

See above.

Part of the reason X1 lost was the perception that it was weaker for the same or higher price. Their big attempt now is to change that perception in people's eyes. They're already trying to do it with the UHD thing. Perception and reality are two different things.

Pro's messaging is, hey, look at this nice optional hardware update. Our new games will look great on it! Stay with us. We know you will.

Scorpio's messaging is, and will be, hey, Scorpio is SOOOO the best hardware available. Time to come back to Xbox, just like the old days!

No it's not.

There's really no doubt in my mind that we are in diminishing returns land with graphics in 2D. At this point it's a matter of eking out a bit more image quality and better character models, but game development is prohibitively expensive already to push much beyind that.

Now, VR is definitely a place where horsepower still matters hugely. But 2D games? Personally I'm not longing for much beyond what my PC can already provide; and things I do long for (crazy destructibility or super-lifelike NPC behavior) aren't going to happen due to better local processing power. Even my Pro seems almost sufficient, if only it ran these visuals at 60fps.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Pro's messaging is, hey, look at this nice optional hardware update. Our new games will look great on it! Stay with us. We know you will.

Scorpio's messaging is, and will be, hey, Scorpio is SOOOO the best hardware available. Time to come back to Xbox, just like the old days!

Yup.

Pro's messaging (in a whisper): hey, there's this new version of our console and it provides a somewhat better experience for a small subset of our audience. Thanks for listening.

Scorpio's messaging (shouted loudly): THIS IS THE MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE EVER RELEASED ON THE PLANET EARTH. WWWOOOO!!!! ALL GAMES, INCLUDING ALL MULTIPLATFORM TITLES (cue CoD, Battlefield, Madden, etc) WILL LOOK AND PERFORM BETTER ON IT THAN ANY THAT OTHER CONSOLE. WOOO! And it also plays all Xbox One games, better, too.

I've been really happy with my purchase of the console I assume others will be too. Sony did a reasonably good job to provide good games for it. The first posters in this thread sound irritatingly attached and victorious about it though lmao.

Oh man GAF has awesome secret Scorpio messaging from MS and we dont even know the final name of the console. Why does this not have its own thread?

If that split is true, that my guess would be:

750k - PS4 Slim
350k - PS4 Pro

If that guess it true as well, would fit with my assumption that I think XB1S has the capacity to be 20-25% above Slim due to the difference in bundle variety and appeal, but the 30% PS4 Pro : Slim ratio pushes it above that by a nudge.

Speaking of which, both those figures are kind of expected, but they're terrible compared to last year.

NoTime

Neo Member
well as long as it is a scorpio thread now
Some people are arguing whether scorpio is new gen or not. I'd say it is a stealthrelease of it. Same time and power defferential as between og xbox and 360. Even if it won't have exclusive games per se it still feels like a new gen (or on Xbone games will look like shite)

Apt101

That doesn't sound right but who knows. That would mean both are down by a lot but PS4 down by a huge amount...

Didn't they say this was the best Black Friday ever for PlayStation 4? Doesn't seem to square that their YoY numbers would be down so much if they did gangbusters on BF. *shrug*

Didn't they say this was the best Black Friday ever for PlayStation 4? Doesn't seem to square that their YoY numbers would be down so much if they did gangbusters on BF. *shrug*
That BF statement applied to the worldwide market. Even so, I do think that number is off.

Unknown?

That was WW but still BF may be getting bigger in Europe, it's still a small event compared to the U.S. So it being down over 450k doesn't seem right. The U.K. Isn't big enough to make up the difference nor is Germany. BF isn't even a thing in many European countries or not significant.

xbox one sold 1 million
ps4 family sold 1.1 million
ps vr 68k

according to a windowscentral source
windowscentral.com/xbox-november-sales-1-million

That sounds terrible for them both, why the big drop from last year?

And PS VR, geesh. And I don't see it doing any better than that in other regions too. I wonder if we are looking at 200k or maybe even lower? (300k seems like the best of the best case scenario now).

Shipped perhaps? It's hard to tell with PR XD

Im interested to see how well the $99 New 3DS did. I'm guessing it sold out in stores and online, but it'd be interesting to know how many Nintendo put out there.

Top Bottom