• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of November 2016

That sounds terrible for them both, why the big drop from last year?

And PS VR, geesh. And I don't see it doing any better than that in other regions too. I wonder if we are looking at 200k or maybe even lower? (300k seems like the best of the best case scenario now).

Shipped perhaps? It's hard to tell with PR XD
the ps vr number is november sales only. not lifetime to date.
so not that bad, imho

blakep267

Didn't they say this was the best Black Friday ever for PlayStation 4? Doesn't seem to square that their YoY numbers would be down so much if they did gangbusters on BF. *shrug*
We don't know what their criteria is. They could be including digital sales, ps plus subscriptions, psvr sales, etc

Remember when Microsoft said halo 5 made x millions of dollars in revenue. But they were likely including controllers, hardware, req packs etc

Unknown?

We don't know what their criteria is. They could be including digital sales, ps plus subscriptions, psvr sales, etc

Remember when Microsoft said halo 5 made x millions of dollars in revenue. But they were likely including controllers, hardware, req packs etc
I doubt they'd be talking about software in a press statement about how many hardware units of PS4 they've sold. Who knows but man terrible for both, PS4 down nearly half a million!

Still not confirmed so I take it with a grain of salt.

AzerPhire

the ps vr number is november sales only. not lifetime to date.
so not that bad, imho

If that is what it does during the busiest shopping month of the year and just a month after it came out then it is not going to get any better. I'd almost expect it to completely drop off of the map.

blakep267

I doubt they'd be talking about software in a press statement about how many hardware units of PS4 they've sold. Who knows but man terrible for both, PS4 down nearly half a million!

Still not confirmed so I take it with a grain of salt.
What I meant is they were referencing revenue. They didn't say the best selling Black Friday week. They said the best week which makes me think PlayStation revenue as a whole

If that is what it does during the busiest shopping month of the year and just a month after it came out then it is not going to get any better. I'd almost expect it to completely drop off of the map.
I mean what do you expect psvr to really do. It's a $400+ add on. A person could buy all the holiday releases for all that

Unknown?

What I meant is they were referencing revenue. They didn't say the best selling Black Friday week. They said the best week which makes me think PlayStation revenue as a whole

I mean what do you expect psvr to really do. It's a $400+ add on. A person could buy all the holiday releases for all that
But it was in a statement about sells. If they had said that on its own I would be more inclined to think that. Also how would revenue be up when prices are cheaper? They're $50 less than last year which adds up to millions of revenue lost compared to last year.

blakep267

But it was in a statement about sells. If they had said that on its own I would be more inclined to think that. Also how would revenue be up when prices are cheaper? they're $50 less than last year which adds up to millions of revenue lost compared to last year.
That's why I said they may be adding psn sales, vr accessories etc

Unknown?

That's why I said they may be adding psn sales, vr accessories etc

I still doubt it. PSN sales and accessories were a thing last year too. It's unlikely they sold significantly less at a lower price then made it up elsewhere. PSVR revenue alone won't make up for that it's probably not even at a million WW yet.

Somnia

For those worrying about PSVR just know GameStop is pretty much sold out company wide.

Working tonight I had 2 people come in looking to buy it for Christmas and no store within 100 miles had any and the website/warehouse is sold out.

Also no systems besides 3DS sold in a 6 hour shift. People who did ask were asking about the $250 price point for ps4 and xb1s which doesn't start till the 11th.

For those worrying about PSVR just know GameStop is pretty much sold out company wide.

Working tonight I had 2 people come in looking to buy it for Christmas and no store within 100 miles had any and the website/warehouse is sold out.

Also no systems besides 3DS sold in a 6 hour shift. People who did ask were asking about the $250 price point for ps4 and xb1s which doesn't start till the 11th.
So if true, that might explain why ps4 and xb1 are down yoy

I tried to convince the couple people wanting a PS4 to get the $299 tonight since we were giving out a year of PS+ but wouldn't bite. I guess hearing $249 sounds better to the public lol
Fuuaaa if it were me I would have grabbed that 299 but 249 does sound better to the ears. Do you think dec will help rebound the slump from november sales?

Somnia

Fuuaaa if it were me I would have grabbed that 299 but 249 does sound better to the ears. Do you think dec will help rebound the slump from november sales?

Honestly no idea, 5 years ago when I ran stores I could tell you, but now I work like 1 day a week tops just to help my friend so I don't know how things are when I'm not around.

I do know we haven't sold any of the FFXV bundles, but that's about it.

Mrbob

I tried to convince the couple people wanting a PS4 to get the $299 tonight since we were giving out a year of PS+ but wouldn't bite. I guess hearing $249 sounds better to the public lol
These holiday sales are nice but I believe they are going to start to backfire for yearly sales. I see sales becoming get more lopsided in Nov/Dec as consumers figure out they can save 50 dollars.

Did I arrive in time for the silly "consoles are dying" talk?

In all seriousness, lol. Consoles are usually down YoY in their 4th holiday. Not ALWAYS, but most of the time, especially coming after a highly successful previous holiday.

For context, this is a much higher result for PS4 than holiday 2014, and I believe for Xbox as well.

I think PSVR is sold out everywhere and sells out roughly 20 minutes after retailers put stock up on their websites.

If those numbers are true there not bad for both X1 or PS4 .
I expect PS4 to be down YoY for certain with the bundles they had .
Also looks like Sony under ship VR and Pro depending on where you are in the world lol .

These holiday sales are nice but I believe they are going to start to backfire for yearly sales. I see sales becoming get more lopsided in Nov/Dec as consumers figure out they can save 50 dollars.

This why they need to bring out more big games during the early parts of the year .
Since that might stop some people from waiting .

Zesh

PSVR at 60K for November seems pretty good to me.

1.1 million PS4s with the launch of the Pro is a bit lower than I expected, but this is the fourth holiday for the console, as people have pointed out. December will be very interesting; I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox One edges out the PS4.

Unknown?

Guess this explains the no PR from Sony this month. Also looks like steeper price cuts are needed. The sooner these consoles get to $249-$199 the better.
Sony hasn't had PR most of this year though despite winning most NPD months. I'm still not going to take this rumor as fact but extremely disappointing for both consoles if true.

Sony hasn't had PR most of this year though despite winning most NPD months. I'm still not going to take this rumor as fact but extremely disappointing for both consoles if true.

Me either but if true, this might mean the pro didn't get many pre orders that ppl thought. If not for the pro, Sony might have had an abysmal November. Assuming this report is true.

Me either but if true, this might mean the pro didn't get many pre orders that ppl thought. If not for the pro, Sony might have had an abysmal November. Assuming this report is true.

If not for Pro Sony plans would have been different IMO.
Truth is looks like Sony went for profit this year more than anything else .
There bundle cost them nothing and remind me of what the did in 2014.

donny2112

EEDAR/NPD was predicting to get PSVR numbers at ~10% of the PS4 install base (i.e. typical high expectations accessory attach rate). Impossible to tell how it's really doing without October numbers and stock in November, but 68K for the month of November does not seem promising.

EEDAR/NPD was predicting to get PSVR numbers at ~10% of the PS4 install base. Impossible to tell how it's really doing without October numbers and stock in November, but 68K for the month of November does not seem promising.

That would have be crazy and no one should expect that .
10% of the PS4 base is 5 million and PSVR cost $400.
Even if we only talking about USA that is still 1.5 million give or take for a $400 add on .
That was never going to happen in such short time and this month all about getting things at a cheap price.

Toni

And the "Doom" sales people have arrived.

>PSVR is a flop
>Sony would not have won Black Friday without Pro
>Being down by some measly thousands compared to last year is extremely dissapointing
>Consoles are doom
>Playstation is doom

Thisisneogafgif.com

>PSVR is a flop
>Being down by some measly thousands compared to last year is extremely dissapointing
>Consoles are doom
>Playstation is doom

Thisisneogafgif.com

"Measly thousands"?

>PSVR is a flop
>Consoles are doom
>Playstation is doom

Thisisneogafgif.com

It never fails to amuse.

donny2112

That was never going to happen in such short time and this month all about getting things at a cheap price.

10% of LTD sales 2 months in would be near impossible, yes. Well under 10% of monthly sales in the second month does not bode well for ever getting to 10% of the LTD sales, though. If it was all sold out in November, that may delay the doomsayings, though.

Top Bottom