• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2009

Ashodin

itprintsmoney.gif

I helped with the DS numbers, bought my gf a DS :)

Not a DSi mind you.

We are playing Pokemon together now :)

Also HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT at the 360 numbers. And Nintendo domination am total.

Jon

I thought Rhythm Heaven was supposed to have sold over 100K? I forget where I read that though, so maybe it was invented by my own crazy mind.

AniHawk

Metaphoreus said:
WTF at the Wii sales? Could all the doom and gloom be true? It's actually lower than the April 2007 sales, but without a shortage to blame it on (I don't know how many weeks were in April 2007 and how many were in April 2009, so the comparison may be off quite a bit.) The 360 seems to have sales consistent with previous Aprils, and I just noticed how low the PS3 was.

I think a price cut is in order. It's been over 2.5 fucking years now.

What the hell happened to the entire industry?!

Guess everyone spend all their money buying DSis!

Wow, that's really bad all around. Even for April! I really don't see how we could have such a sudden and massive drop for everyone (If it really was the recession, why now all of a sudden?)

Why is everybody surprised? What was released last month except for NDS that could have given big boost? I don't think we will see big boost until fall starts.

Holy crap. That's so much worse than I expected anything to do (except DS, of course.) How badly is everyone fuckowned in their predictions this month?

That software picture is brutal too. If you thought the last year was bad for dev houses closing, the next twelve months are going to be much, much worse.

Cygnus X-1

Maybe Wii's hardware is down, but its software is still selling at high rates. Wii Fit just doesn't seem to step back from the first spot.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
devilhawk said:
Holy 500's. Wow at how many underestimated the DSi

I wonder how much that has to do with the dsi. And how much of it has to do with the great trade in deal Gamestop was offering.

Ps2 $99 price point seems to have made an impact. I got a friend who bought one not too long ago. He's really casual with gaming but as long as it has the new sports games like fifa he's happy.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Darklord said:
Why such a big drop? What's going on?

People closing their wallets I guess. Plus entering into spring/summer months, cheaper entertainment to be had outdoors.

I'm only surprised it didn't kick in sooner this year though.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Well, with these low ass software sales, there's no way inFamous won't chart next month, even though it'll only have 1 week of release.

Wow the DS DOMINATED. :lol

Should I be shocked that Godfather sold well because I kind of am.

Also, to all the people saying that Wii is losing its steam, it is STILL selling double that of the PS3 or the 360.

sprocket said:
why not poor 360 owners it went down the most ?

low sales all around though.

Because the PS3 sold 125k. When I bought mine I was under the assumption that the rest of the cool kids would jump on board.

Mindlog

I'm throwing the red challenge flag on NPD.

I'd like a replay on the numbers and data collection practices. At worst I'll just lose a timeout.

harSon

Banned
sprocket said:
why not poor 360 owners it went down the most ?

low sales all around though.

I'm sure if people wanted to comment on another console, they would have put it in their posts.

I'm guessing this months sales aren't going to be any better.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
OldJadedGamer said:
I remember reading many, many times how it would have a long tail and the sales were not front loaded.
Not from me you didn't. I also remember people saying the 360 would start outselling the Wii now that it's cheaper, but it barely outsold the PS2. :p

OldJadedGamer said:
I remember reading many, many times how it would have a long tail and the sales were not front loaded.

Unless you are a mega franchise like Call of Duty, Halo, or GTA, no one should expect long tails on the HD systems.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
NeoUltima said:
Yes let's ignore low sales of everything else and laugh at ps3.

*facepalm

Ps2 dropped to $99 are people forgetting that?

1zh19hw.jpg

We must remember that Wii is still selling 3x the other people, and is doing very well.

HOWEVER, my prediction of a price drop this year (which was laughed at) will almost certainly come true.

Also, LOL at people who said the 99$ price point for PS2 would not do anything.

Darklord

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Recession is the only think I can think of. The year started strong in Jan and Feb, and the bottom fell out the past two months.

God, I didn't know America was that bad. Australia is in a recession and our sales are way up. What a horrible month.

EXCEPT FOR THE DS. Once again, holy shit.

careksims

gofreak said:
People closing their wallets I guess. Plus entering into spring/summer months, cheaper entertainment to be had outdoors.

I'm only surprised it didn't kick in sooner this year though.

I say! There's actually more good movies to watch this year!

Cygnus X-1

Wollan said:
PS2 had a full month at $99.

Honestly, I expected more, since it is the first real price drop since a lot of time. The recession is just hitting almost everyone now. Nintendo is really the only one that it's keeping the industry to fall on its knees.

Top Bottom