• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2009

DMeisterJ said:
That's what I said on the first page! Less than 91k? Wowzers.

619K First two Months + less than 91K this month American numbers.

Decent sales but certainly not even a gears of war 1 level hit for the PS3.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
El-Suave said:
The lol PS3 crowd is amusing. They're not selling that thing well at $400 while 360 isn't selling good after an epic pricedrop that should have carried it through the recession.

Really? Epic?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
El-Suave said:
The lol PS3 crowd is amusing. They're not selling that thing well at $400 while 360 isn't selling good after an epic pricedrop that should have carried it through the recession.

Spin it around all you want. I know we'll keep laughing :lol

FrankT

El-Suave said:

Its carried it a around ~2 million+ over the PS3 since that drop and recession. So in that regard it has sold quite a bit better while the overall lead continues to grow 4 years later.

NeoUltima

Kandrick said:
1zh19hw.jpg
omg my avatar is Snake I must be fanboy because I don't find the industry sales going to shit to be funny?
Hey guys MGS fans = automatic Sony fanboys

You know Wii is doing well if 340k in mother fucking APRIL is low.

I've long since been saying that SONY and Microsoft will both bite the dust eventually when it comes to their gaming divisions, but I think it's too early to say that this month is the start of a more pronounced downward trend. But it's coming, I'm sure of it.

Wollan

DeaconKnowledge said:
Was this the first month of the PS2 being @ 99 dollars? Or was that last month's NPD?
First month.

It got a price drop on the first April NPD day actually, max usage.

Stoney Mason said:

I don't think anyone with their head on straight expected Gears numbers out of KZ2.

Kusagari

Stoney Mason said:

Who on Earth expected Killzone 2 to be a Gears of War level hit for PS3?

Pimpbaa

NeoUltima said:
omg my avatar is Snake I must be fanboy because I don't find the industry sales going to shit to be funny?
Hey guys MGS fans = automatic Sony fanboys

Don't feed the trolls!

Grecco

chubigans said:
That it didn't chart? No.

That it sold less than 91k on the 360? Hell yes.

Not Really. Not the best enviroment for alot of these games these days. Plus Wheelman already bombed. Gamers dont care about Vin Diesel.

gregor7777 said:
I don't think anyone with their head on straight expected Gears numbers out of KZ2.

Then Sony has failed miserably then because that's exactly what it should have been and there is no reason it shouldn't have reached those type numbers.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I'm glad to see the DS performing so well. Its performance compared to the other systems is about equivalent to how much I prefer it to the other consoles. :D

Man, by this point you'd think everyone already owned New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Kart DS...

itxaka

Defeatist
gregor7777 said:

Ask Wollan. He expected it to sell one million in the first week.

I got somewhere a bookmarked thread of a bunch of people expecting it to sell 5 millions.

127k!?

Yeah, good luck hitting that 13m figure Sony. :lol

A price drop to $200 would be required for that figure to look at all realistic, even a $100 price drop isn't going to manage the sort of numbers they're predicting.

spwolf

DMeisterJ said:
Wow. Low PS3.

And KZ2 did less than 91k this month. Whoa.

And PS2 almost greater than 360? Equally as sad.

This is just a shitty month all around, aside from DS/i sales.

best non-wii game did 155k... you expected KZ2 to do better? :D

awful month for everyone except dsi...

PS2 whats up with that...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Stoney Mason said:
Then Sony has failed miserably
That was pretty obvious two weeks before launch. It had nowhere near the kind of marketing blitz it would need to sustain high numbers.

For awesome marketing tips, see: Microsoft (Gears of War and Halo have fantastic marketing packages during pre/post launch).

So yeah. It is now official: if your game doesn't have a top ten franchise name (or "Nintendo") on the package, you should just pack your fucking office up and get a job selling solar panels or something, because no one is going to buy your game.

Mooreberg

Strike said:
Everything's down except for DS(for obvious reasons). I wonder how much longer can Sony hold out on a price drop with these numbers? PS2 > PS3? It's starting to look more like spring '07 rather than spring '09.

If they don't announce a price drop at E3 they might as well shift development focus back to the PS2.

Jon

EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich pedicted 154,000 units sold for Rhythm Heaven. He said its sales were "Nothing short of amazing."

...What happened?

FrankT

brain_stew said:
127k!?

Yeah, good luck hitting that 13m figure Sony. :lol

A price drop to $200 would be required for that figure to look at all realistic, even a $100 price drop isn't going to manage the sort of numbers they're predicting.

If they do not get it out by June I would most definitely agree. Even then this recession is rough and it may still not make it as two full months will be horrible for at least one quarter of the fiscal year.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Karma said:
The Wii went down the most YoY and the PS3 went down 60K YoY and 360 went down 13k YoY.

The ps3 is the same price as last year and the 360 is now $199 with 2 games and a memory card.

It's looking rough for both.

womfalcs3

Banned
Ouch except for PS2/Wii/DS. Everything else looks bad. I think Sony will be forced to announce a PS3 price drop at E3. It can't have the PS3 fiddling with 100,000 units.

Kusagari

Stoney Mason said:
Then Sony has failed miserably then because that's exactly what it should have been and there is no reason it shouldn't have reached those type numbers.

Sony's failed miserably at advertising this entire generation so who's surprised there?

Iksenpets

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Sports titles will be big.

Tiger Woods, Wii Sports Resort, NCAA..

They will boost the sales up a bit.

May has UFC, Red Faction, Punchout. UFC will kill this month.

UFC will do great, but I don't think it'll bring 360/PS3 sales up with it. Those are going to keep trending down all summer. Punchout I will be surprised to see chart.

Linkup

FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 471K
POKEMON PLATINUM VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA NDS 433K
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 210K
PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 170K
THE GODFATHER II ELECTRONIC ARTS 360 155K
RESIDENT EVIL 5* CAPCOM USA 360 122K
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS NINTENDO OF AMERICA NDS 119K
MARIO KART DS NINTENDO OF AMERICA NDS 112K
GUITAR HERO AEROSMITH* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD (CORP) 360 110K
THE GODFATHER II ELECTRONIC ARTS PS3 91K

someone explain?

NeoUltima

perfectchaos007 said:
If some people still don't believe the recession has hit gaming....what are yall smoking?
I kinda hoped it would only have a small effect :(. Seems to be much bigger than I expected. At least based on April.
But hey, at least we still get great games.

Cygnus X-1

charlequin said:
So yeah. It is now official: if your game doesn't have a top ten franchise name (or "Nintendo") on the package, you should just pack your fucking office up and get a job selling solar panels or something, because no one is going to buy your game.

This would be great, actually.

Grecco

charlequin said:

Which is why Activisions are the geniuses of this gen

chubigans said:
That was pretty obvious two weeks before launch. It had nowhere near the kind of marketing blitz it would need to sustain high numbers.

For awesome marketing tips, see: Microsoft (Gears of War and Halo have fantastic marketing packages during pre/post launch).

I always dispute the marketing idea some what but whatever the reason they did something wrong. It's arguably the best looking game in an extremely popular genre. It's well reviewed and well hyped PS3 title. And it still didn't click in a way that it should have sales wise.

Struct09

Linkup said:
GUITAR HERO AEROSMITH* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD (CORP) 360 110K

someone explain?

It was selling for $9.99 at many retailers in April. I picked it up myself.

Also, many places had the guitar bundle on clearance.

EviLore said:
PlayStation 2 172K
PlayStation 3 127K

EviLore said:
PlayStation 3 127K
Xbox 360 175K
Wii 340K

EviLore said:
PSP 116K
Nintendo DS 1.04M

:lol :lol :lol

Wow just wow.

- Really low sales across the board

- PS2 surpasses the PS3 (I know about the now $99 PS2, but still)

- DS nearly outsells PSP by literally 10 times (I know about the DSi but still PSP is really low)

- Wii over PS3 + 360 again

- PS2 is a competitive system again

Wow...just wow.

Ashodin

womfalcs3 said:
Ouch except for PS2/Wii/DS. Everything else looks bad. I think Sony will be forced to announce a PS3 price drop at E3. It can't have the PS3 fiddling with 100,000 units.
And people wonder why a lot of games are being ported or made for Wii/PS2/DS now.

Top Bottom