• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2009

Dear god, finally a week of surprise. But this time it's not so good - everything (aside from DS) is so low.

Wow at massive Wii drop.

Wow at low PS3 numbers.

Wow at PS2 beating PS3 by nearly 50 thousand units.

Wow at Wii Fit still dominating new and recent releases.

Wow at 360 not doing much better than PS3.

Wow at Wii software taking up most of top 5.

Wow at RE5 having a big fall on both systems.

Lol at Killzone 2.

WOW at DS. Holy shit.

farnham

Banned
Metaphoreus said:
WTF at the Wii sales? Could all the doom and gloom be true? It's actually lower than the April 2007 sales, but without a shortage to blame it on (I don't know how many weeks were in April 2007 and how many were in April 2009, so the comparison may be off quite a bit.) The 360 seems to have sales consistent with previous Aprils, and I just noticed how low the PS3 was.
wanst mario kart released last april or smash or wii fit or something along these lines..?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Lack of good releases couple with recession and a slow month. What were the releases around this month last year?

Sadist

“I think the introduction of the DSi just captured a lot of folks’ attention for the month. While the Wii was down, it still sold a lot of units 30 months after its release. By comparison, in April ‘03 when the PS2 was 30 months in the market, it sold 264K units and had an install base of 17.5 million - and I think we’d all call the PS2 a major success. The Wii install base is now at 20 million. Also keep in mind that last year the introduction of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart were big catalysts for Wii hardware acquisition and we just don’t have titles of that magnitude this year. So while it’s tempting to start to want to find issues, I don’t think we can read that much into what this means when we’re comparing against some monster months last year.” - Anita Frazier, industry analyst at NPD

So, not entirely bad news for Nintendo.

Talamius

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I like that the Wii hardware has been such a beast until now that "only" 340k is not considered a respectable number. :lol

edit: Stealth edit, or did I just misread?

340k is crap by the high standard the Wii has set, but when you compare it to what the HD twins did it's respectable.

There was a time when any console maker would have gladly taken 340k in April.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Ouch @ PS3.

gregor7777 said:
Poor PS3 :lol

2mcdmwj.gif

donny2112

gofreak said:
Ha, we're back to a point where the Japanese difference twixt the HD twins handsomely compensates for the NA difference (quite comfortably exceeds it in this case, I think).

The crazy part, though, is that Europe probably pushed the 360 on top for the month. :lol

Akai said:
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS NINTENDO OF AMERICA NDS 119K

I'd like a NSMB2 someday, guys! >=(

I've resigned myself to the fact that my kids will have to tell me how NSMB2 is, when they come visit my grave.

People need to understand that April had very few releases on the Wii that were of any significance. Also compared to last year with GTA?

I mean of course we will be down.

Spiegel said:
Where's Chinatown Wars?
Uh if it wasn't on any of the previous months charts what makes you think its just going to magically appear. The DSi doesnt mean instant sales for GTA: CTW..

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Talamius said:
340k is crap by the high standard the Wii has set, but when you compare it to what the HD twins did it's respectable.

There was a time when any console maker would have gladly taken 340k in April.

This. And there hasnt been really a lot of releases. It will probably pick up again.

Iksenpets

Banned
Ouch at everything. This summer is going to be abysmal. At this rate PS3 AND 360 could end up going sub-100K in June or July, because I don't see any potential releases that'll be boosting either of their sales at all anytime soon.

Loudninja

_Alkaline_ said:
Dear god, finally a week of surprise. But this time it's not so good - everything (aside from DS) is so low.

Wow at massive Wii drop.

Wow at low PS3 numbers.

Wow at PS2 beating PS3 by nearly 50 thousand units.

Wow at Wii Fit still dominating new and recent releases.

Wow at 360 not doing much better than PS3.

Wow at Wii software taking up most of top 5.

Wow at RE5 having a big fall on both systems.

Lol at Killzone 2.

WOW at DS. Holy shit.

Horrible month :(

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
YTD:

PS2 516,200
DS 2,701, 800
PSP 655,300
360 1,205,000
PS3 824,200
Wii 2,373,200

LTD:

PS2 44,030,818
DS 30,243,158
PSP 14,996,936
360 15,065,286
PS3 7,618,396
Wii 19,913,581

EDIT: Added PS2 numbers

Totally forgot that Rhythm Heaven came out in April. Yeah, I would've expected that to chart too. I'm very interested in the Top 20 this month to see where Excitebots and Rhythm Heaven fell.

Banned
sprocket said:
why not poor 360 owners it went down the most ?

low sales all around though.

The Wii went down the most YoY and the PS3 went down 60K YoY and 360 went down 13k YoY.

VALIS

Everyone's way down except the real cheap guys (DS, PS2). Economy finally having a noticeable effect.

I like when this happens and consumers en masse say "your shit is too expensive."

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I like that the Wii hardware has been such a beast until now that "only" 340k is not considered a respectable number. :lol

Yeah. That Wii number may not be up to past Wii sales, but it's still beats every console's April from pre-Wii times. The PS2 broke 300k a couple of Aprils, but never quite hit 340k.

Zihark

frankie_baby said:
Wow shocking drop for wii though still managing to make hd look laughable, think wii price cut at e3 is pretty much a certainty now
Because it dropped for one month, that means price cut-what?

YYZ

Actually would have been nice if the 360 and Wii sales were higher, then Sony would realize how badly they need a price drop. Right now it looks like they did the same as every other month.

(yes I realize that Sony realizes the price is too high)

El-Suave

The lol PS3 crowd is amusing. They're not selling that thing well at $400 while 360 isn't selling good after an epic pricedrop that should have carried it through the recession.

Iksenpets said:
Ouch at everything. This summer is going to be abysmal. At this rate PS3 AND 360 could end up going sub-100K in June or July, because I don't see any potential releases that'll be boosting either of their sales at all anytime soon.
Sports titles will be big.

Tiger Woods, Wii Sports Resort, NCAA..

They will boost the sales up a bit.

May has UFC, Red Faction, Punchout. UFC will kill this month.

Spiegel

TurtleSnatcher said:
Uh if it wasn't on any of the previous months charts what makes you think its just going to magically appear. The DSi doesnt mean instant sales for GTA: CTW..

The game was released late last month.

Some people were arguing about other people holding their purchase until Dsi. Yes, I'm surprised CW sold less than 91k in its first full month

Sadist

We've received the NPD sales data for the month of April (technically April 5 to May 2), and for the second consecutive month, the U.S. video game industry suffered a year-over-year decline of 17 percent. Total sales fell from April 2008's $1.24 billion to $1.03 billion, meaning that the industry is now down four percent through April (with a total of $5.28 billion).

Software sales were down 23 percent to $510.74 million while hardware sales were down eight percent to $391.63 million. Accessories also dropped 15 percent to $129.45 million.

Hardware unit sales were mostly down, except for a PS2 increase and the Nintendo DS, which nearly doubled its output from March to 1.04 million sold. This was undoubtedly driven by the launch of the new DSi. The DS remains a true juggernaut - in fact, it accounted for 31 percent of total industry unit sales in April, across all categories. The Wii's sales output on the other hand was almost halved, down from March's 601K to just 340K in April.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/n...-down-17-in-april-09-despite-ds-surge-/?biz=1

El-Suave said:
The lol PS3 crowd is amusing. They're not selling that thing well at $400 while 360 isn't selling good after an epic pricedrop that should have carried it through the recession.

That's more like it! The PS3 brigade still has some fight left even if the mothership doesn't.

Top Bottom