• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2010

Relix said:
Surprised at SSF4 PS3> SSF4 Xbox

The trend for a long time has been that sales of fighters have been much closer on both platofrms (compared to the larger gaps in pretty much all other PS360 games). Given that the PS3 has turned things around since the price drop, it's not really a surprise to see SSFIV selling better on it.

Giolon said:
Of course the original was going to sell better - it was the first new Street Fighter game in 10 years. For the amount of new content and features in Super, it's no worse milking than the map packs games like CoD and Halo put out (ODST says hi!).

FPS /= Fighting games. Not this gen anyway.

Sadist

schuelma said:
Or Monster Hunter is a game with very very limited appeal to Western audiences. There is a reason Capcom's initial expectations were to ship 500K outside Japan*

*Again, we should wait for numbers before discussing this. It could have done 125K for all we know which would be pretty good given the history of the series.
The last Monster Hunter on PSP debuted with what... 67k? If Tri is below that number, it super bombed.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
What a depressing month.

So out of curiosity, do people still think shortages? I very much doubt the 360 is in short supply, but what about the other 2?

Ridley327

Burai said:
Puh-lease.

Wii fanboys have been absolutely deafening in their assertion that the key to third party hardcore game success on the Wii was to release mainline titles with big development budgets and blanket advertising.

Every single third party game that's bombed has been supposedly due to "retarded publishers that don't understand the market releasing half-assed, insulting games with no marketing".

MHTri's performance would suggest that perhaps the situation is far more hopeless than they'd dare admit.

I would suggest that the more obvious idea that Capcom never treating the franchise like one of their marquee releases in the US (i.e. Resident Evil, Street Fighter) is a far bigger culprit than putting it on the Wii. There's little doubt that it would have sold the same on either HD console. I think fans of the series just need to accept the fact that it's never going to be big outside of Japan.

Empty

ouch at the PSP. i know it's been near death for a while now in america, but those sales are beyond awful. they better hope they have the PSP2 ready at E3.

it's a shame we get less numbers now, and it's going to really suck in the fall when the top 5 becomes so predictable.

FrankT

velvet_nitemare said:
It's a shooter available on 360 with decent marketing. Unless the bad word of mouth spreads rapidly, it has a month to make the top 10. The odds of it making the top 10 are pretty good.

That is exactly the thing. Bad word of mouth via Live will kill it with the likes of tough competition out a week after it, and yes it has very bad word of mouth. We'll see I mean it could it make.

Kusagari

My prediction for next month:
1. Galaxy 2
2. RDR 360
3. UFC 360
4. RDR PS3
5. Alan Wake
6. UFC PS3
7. NSMB Wii
8. Pokemon SoulSilver
9. LP2 360
10. Pokemon HeartGold

Beth Cyra

Burai said:
Puh-lease.

Wii fanboys have been absolutely deafening in their assertion that the key to third party hardcore game success on the Wii was to release mainline titles with big development budgets and blanket advertising.

Every single third party game that's bombed has been supposedly due to "retarded publishers that don't understand the market releasing half-assed, insulting games with no marketing".

MHTri's performance would suggest that perhaps the situation is far more hopeless than they'd dare admit.

I will agree with this, if we get numbers that show that Tri did only as good or worse then all other Monster Hunter titles, 1 and 2 on PS2 sold like dog shit, and the PSP titles have also flopped badly so if there is an improvement then there is an improvment.

So for now I think we have to wait and hope numbers surface for Tri before we make any real statements.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sadist said:
The last Monster Hunter on PSP debuted with what... 67k? If Tri is below that number, it super bombed.

Hell TvC debuted with almost 50K its first month. If Tri can't at least do about double, that's bad.

esc said:
And they should care, why?

Don't ask me, email David Riley of NPD Group and ask him why he hates ******** so much.

schuelma said:
Seriously, I say lift the ban on cg varts and make them as legitimate as possible.

I debated saying this in, like, a really mean voice and decided against it, but if you're going to start the conga I'll get in line. :lol

Second said:
Seriously? I expected much higher sales.

I actually did too, but this whole month is such a disaster it's at least gotta get a ribbon or something for hitting #1.

Oxx

Burai said:
Puh-lease.

I don't disagree.

It should be pretty obvious at this point what the recipe for significant success on the Wii is.

spwolf

Sadist said:

67k on PSP in NA? I would think it sold quite well among its peers then? :D

Hiltz

Well, I've finally come to my senses that good, core third-party games simply cannot sell on the Wii.

Prayed for No More Heroes 2.

I was in denial until Ubisoft made it clear that it had no intention of putting a decent effort into the advertising the game.

Had faith in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

Was it because of the Tatsunoko brand ?

(Capcom stated it was "pleased" by its sales ... whatever that means)

Red Steel 2

I'm still confused about this one. Wii owners wanted motion control sword fighting and yet they chose to ignore this.

Believed in Monster Hunter Tri.

Is it just too hard ?

I don't know why everyone is surprised by the PS3 numbers. If it hadn't been supply-constrained, it would have moved about 450k units. I mean, can you even imagine the pent up demand after all of these months of shortages??

Empty said:
ouch at the PSP. i know it's been near death for a while now in america, but those sales are beyond awful. they better hope they have the PSP2 ready at E3.

it's a shame we get less numbers now, and it's going to really suck in the fall when the top 5 becomes so predictable.
This November you will get sales numbers for two Call of Duty SKUs, Halo Reach, Fable III and a Wii game of some kind (possibly NSMB Wii even).

And that's it. Enjoy! :D

Kevtones

MHT only had 10 days so I'm not surprised. I think it'll slow burn via word of mouth.

Also, shame on ANY Wii owner that didn't buy it.

Barrett2

professor_t said:
I don't know why everyone is surprised by the PS3 numbers. If it hadn't been supply-constrained, it would have moved about 450k units. I mean, can you even imagine the pent up demand after all of these months of shortages??

The demand must be absolutely throbbing

Ridley327

Hiltz said:
Red Steel 2

I'm still confused about this one. Wii owners wanted motion control sword fighting and yet they chose to ignore this.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but the first game being terrible probably had a lot to do with that.

FrankT

Kusagari said:
1. Galaxy 2
2. RDR 360
3. UFC 360
4. RDR PS3
5. Alan Wake
6. UFC PS3
7. NSMB Wii
8. Pokemon SoulSilver
9. LP2 360
10. Pokemon HeartGold

Not a bad list. I suppose it does have a shot to sneak in there.

Crisis

Banned
My thoughts - Monster Hunter Tri wasn't going to do well in the west anyway. Ever. You all know that. That by itself isn't a sign of anything. And to all the people declaring PSP "dead" - you do realize that Sony makes money on every single one that they sell right? It's been $160 or whatever it is for a long time now. They probably make an obscene profit on each one sold. Numbers were down across the board for pretty much everything this month. And you guys are wanting Sony to kill a source of income? Fucking come on.

Draft

BTW:

EA says, "<BF:BC2 sold more than 4 million units>"

NPD says, "<In March and April, the total sales of BC:BC2 on Xbox and PS3 was 1.5 million units>"

Meaning the PC sold over 2 million :)

Guess those dedicated servers paid off :)

edit:

Non-GAAP net revenue was $850 million, up $241 million as compared with $609 million for the prior year. Sales were driven by Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2, Mass Effect™ 2, Dante’s Inferno™ and digital businesses.
Steam does what the "HD" consoles don't :)

Burai said:
Puh-lease.

Funny that you're calling out fanboys when your post sounds, well...

At any rate, we'd have to know the actual number of units sold to know how it holds up against the PS2 versions. MH is a series with "core" cred, but there was never a massive market for it in NA like Resident Evil. If the sales are in line with previous entries I'd call that a success. If not, then yes, it's bad news. Although really, what does the Wii have to lose in terms of Capcom support at this point anyhow?

Hiltz

Ridley327 said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but the first game being terrible probably had a lot to do with that.

True, they share the same name but the first game did sell 1 million copies despite being a launch title.

Heck, even the reviews were much better for the sequel.

I understand why Ubisoft chose to stick with the Red Steel name given that the sequel used the same fundamental concept as the original title.

schuelma

I Push Fat Kids said:
Also, shame on ANY Wii owner that didn't buy it.

I don't know how many people in this thread have actually played it, but it is not easy to get into. It took me 3-4 hours to get the hang of the controls and the camera in the demo, and honestly the only reason I stuck it out was because of the community on this board. Now, I absolutely love the game and it might be my favorite game for the system, but it has limited appeal to the shooter and action crowd, at least initially. I really don't think it would do much better on the HD twins.

FrankT

Draft said:
BTW:

NPD says, "<In March and April, the total sales of BC:BC2 was 1.5 million units>"

A
minus

Why was I thinking they said 5 million heh.

Hiltz said:
Well, I've finally come to my senses that good, core third-party games simply cannot sell on the Wii.

I was in denial until Ubisoft made it clear that it had no intention of putting a decent effort into the advertising the game.

Red Steel 2

Is it just too hard ?

They can sell, but it would have to be a perfect storm for that to happen. Great high budget game, with mass appeal and a large advertising budget.

Won't happen though, the Wii won't shake off the tags associated with it anytime soon.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Draft said:
BTW:

NPD says, "<In March and April, the total sales of BC:BC2 on Xbox and PS3 was 1.5 million units>"

Europe?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
lawblob said:
The demand must be absolutely throbbing
I think a few hundred thousand units fell out the back of a truck this month, so they couldn't get as many to stores.

Draft said:
BTW:

edit:

Steam does what the "HD" consoles don't :)

That assuming that the console versions sold no copies outside of the US. And that there are no copies sitting at stores.

Giolon said:
Of course the original was going to sell better - it was the first new Street Fighter game in 10 years. For the amount of new content and features in Super, it's no worse milking than the map packs games like CoD and Halo put out (ODST says hi!).

Seriously. No don't give us a full-featured update for $40! Give us 3 maps for $10!

Isn't April one of the slowest months? Not sure why everyone's complaining when PS3 and 360 are up year-over-year. Nintendo can survive on only selling a half a bajillion units per month, guys.

professor_t said:

I chuckled quietly.

Burai

shitonmychest57
schuelma said:
Or Monster Hunter is a game with very very limited appeal to Western audiences. There is a reason Capcom's initial expectations were to ship 500K outside Japan*

*Again, we should wait for numbers before discussing this. It could have done 125K for all we know which would be pretty good given the history of the series.

That's easy to say, but the playing field isn't level for this one. Sony and Capcom didn't exactly push the series so far which has heavily contributed to it's niche status.

Capcom and Nintendo have pushed this thing like their lives depended on it - special hardware bundles, blanket advertising. And it still seemingly couldn't break 150k.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well, does this effect any announcements at E3? Perhaps a company or two announces their next-gen system? Sales were horrendous this month.

Cant0na

Banned
velvet_nitemare said:
It's a shooter available on 360 with decent marketing. Unless the bad word of mouth spreads rapidly, it has a month to make the top 10. The odds of it making the top 10 are pretty good.

theres 3 other big games on 360 this month, Lost planet will bomb pretty hard

schuelma

Burai said:
That's easy to say, but the playing field isn't level for this one. Sony and Capcom didn't exactly push the series so far which has heavily contributed to it's niche status.

Capcom and Nintendo have pushed this thing like their lives depended on it - special hardware bundles, blanket advertising. And it still seemingly couldn't break 150k.

See my other post. Have you played it? It took me like 5 hours to figure out how to control the camera :lol This isn't exactly Call of Duty.

Beth Cyra

Hiltz said:

Red Steel 2

Is it just too hard ?

Yes that is why De blob sold well from what we know, and not to mention that Monster Hunter Tri is one of only two games in Japan to crack a million at all from third parites on any platform.

Lest we also forget that Shawn White did far better on Wii then it did on PS3 and X360, as well as the CoD's have done over a million on it.

Not trying to say it will ever have the market that the HD Twins have but saying core third party games can't sell is crazy talk.

Hiltz said:

Red Steel 2

Is it just too hard ?

What did you realistically expect Tatsunoko vs. Capcom to sell? Half the roster is unrecognizable, not to mention the Wii hasn't really bred a fighting game playerbase. SF 4 will sell because it's a Mainline street Fighter.

Hiltz

The Wii's userbase i = I just don't get it.

As far as TVC goes, I expected it to sell around 400k or so worldwide. Since the Wii's only big fighting game is Smash Bros Brawl, I expected TvC would get some love from the Wii's fighting game fans.

Cant0na

Banned
Kusagari said:
1. Galaxy 2
2. RDR 360
3. UFC 360
4. RDR PS3
5. Alan Wake
6. UFC PS3
7. NSMB Wii
8. Pokemon SoulSilver